none
Vista -- print spooler service constantly stops. I cannot print.

Question

• Print spooler keeps stopping after every event ( open printer window, click on properties, print test page, etc.) I can restart the print spooler service, after each event but at this rate it takes four or five steps to print a document.  I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the printer/drivers (which of course invovles repeated starting of the spooler service), I've downloaded the lastest drivers from HP, and have even tried reinstalling my operating system. Vista, business edition.  Nothing worked for longer than two print cycles!  Please help.

--Lincoln

Friday, July 27, 2007 8:40 PM

All replies

• I continue to have the same problem (Vista Ultimate) but only when trying to print from a browser window.  I have taken the folling actions to try to determine the source of the problem:  I have disabled all add-ins and re-enabled them one by one.  None of the add-ins seem to be the culprit.  I have a Canon 6150 Ink Jet and a Samsung Network Laser printer and an app know as print to PDF.  All drivers are current.  My work around (until MS fixes the problem) is to copy the contents of the web page to Word and print from there.  I restart the spooler from the services screen.  My guess is that somehow the print spooler has become corrupt.  The silence from Microsoft if deafining.

Thursday, August 02, 2007 5:24 PM
  • I had a similar problem using a Toshiba studio 451c network pritner.  Even with the latest driver I could not get it to stop crashing the spooler until I tired this:

In windows features make sure LPD print services and LPR port monitor are checked

In printers, right click on printer, runa as adminstrator, properties, advanced

Uncheck spool print docs

Check print directly to printer.

While not ideal for printing effectively, it did stop teh spooler probelm.  After 4 hours with tech services they recommended a reload of Vista!  Found this one myself.

• Proposed as answer by longleytina Thursday, December 16, 2010 10:05 AM
    Tuesday, August 21, 2007 5:15 PM
  • I has this problem as well.  Thought it could be a virus but it wasn't.  It turned out to be a driver Windows was loading on startup. 

How I solved it:

Start - Run - msconfig

In General Tab select 'Selective startup' and uncheck 'Load startup items"

Click on 'Services' tab

Check box 'Hide all Microsoft services'

You will now have a list of non MS drivers.

This is a problem of elimination.

Uncheck a number of items

Click on OK

System will ask to restart.

Restart

Keep doing this until you have found the offending driver(s), and are able to print

Once you found it  leave it unchecked.

Go back to the 'General' tab and check 'Normal start up.

Search for the file and rename it.

Try and identify what driver this was, buy doing a search. You should rename it.   It could be a driver that is incompatable with Vista, and needs replacing.  The Vista compatabiity test is not accurate.

Hope this solves your problem

Friday, August 24, 2007 10:41 PM
  • THANK YOU
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 7:29 PM
  • Did you ever get a fix for this problem, as I now have the same problem?

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 11:05 PM
  • We received a HOTFIX from Microsoft that did not work!!!

We can start the print spooler but it just stops seconds later.

I erased all my printers in Vista and when I try to install any printer I still get the error. We can't install any prints at all!

run=services.msc      to start printer splooler

nahotfx@microsoft.com wrote:

Hello,

The hot fix for your issue has been packaged and placed on an HTTP site for you to download.

WARNING: This fix is not publicly available through the Microsoft website as it has not gone through full Microsoft regression testing. If you would like confirmation that this fix is designed to address your specific problem, or if you would like to confirm whether there are any special compatibility or installation issues associated with this fix, you are encouraged to speak to a Support Professional in Product Support Services.

The package is password protected so be sure to enter the appropriate password for each package. To ensure the right password is provided cut and paste the password from this mail.

NOTE: Passwords expire every 7 days so download the package within that period to insure you can extract the files. If you receive two passwords it means you are receiving the fix during a password change cycle. Use the second password if you download after the indicated password change date.

Package:
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KB Article Number(s): 933454
    Language: All (Global)
    Platform: i386

NOTE: Be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when navigating to this hot fix location!

Thanks!

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 5:55 PM
  • I am not very technically savy when it comes to the inner workings of computers.  I am also having this problem, and very frustrated.  I am now not able to print AT ALL.  What is Microsoft's deal?  Have they figured out a resolution to this yet?

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 1:53 PM
  • Yeah i just upgraded my computer to windows vista, yay, anyways i have the smae problem. everytime i try to install my printer i keep getting a message saying my printer spool isnt functioning or somthing like that and no matter what i do it wont work...i have no clue on what to do except buy a new printer, but that would cost a lot of money
    Friday, December 28, 2007 4:38 PM
  •  

It appears that the printer driver for  the Toshiba 452 I had was corrupted or still only compatible with Windows XP. I tried to delete the printer and had the spooler die every time I tried to delete it . To get around this issue I had to change the driver on that printer then delete it. this worked fine for me after that. Then I deleted the print driver and the package. Toshiba was late in getting suitable print drivers out for Vista, much like HP. Everything seems fin after I deleted the in compatable print drivers.

Monday, January 07, 2008 10:30 PM
  • Buying a new printer may not solve the problem either.  I had the same issue with my Lexmark printer.  I purchased a new HP printer that said it was Vista compatible and although I can now print, sometimes for quite awhile without having to restart the print spooler, I do have to restart it everytime I reboot my computer.  Today I'm having problems getting it to print at all.  Everytime I hit print, it stops the print spooler.   

Friday, January 18, 2008 12:37 AM
  • I have both a Samsung Laser and an HP C6100 All-in-one inkjet and have continued to have peoblems with Vista.  MS would probably say that it is the responsibility of the printer makers to become compatible with the OS not the other way around; howver it sounds as if everyone is having similar problems.  Perhaps SR1 will fix it. 

Friday, January 18, 2008 6:25 PM
  • I had same issues with dell all in one printer, which prints only one document and following one gets struck in the spooler and only a restart will allow me to print one more document... solution that worked for me was a driver cleanup....

Dell has a driver cleanup tool available for download, which deleted all printer instances/spool/driver cache/catalogs of print drivers..

Restart and then install latest drivers from the support web site...

One thing to avoid, dont allow Windows Hardware wizard to install the drivers...if you get a prompt to install the drivers, cancel and run the setup file of the driver package..

Hope this helps...
    Tuesday, January 22, 2008 4:51 PM
  • I found a support document from Micorsoft's website that correct my print spooler issue. Below is the link you can go to view the document. I applied this fix to one of my Vista Business Dell machines. I successfully reinstalled the network printer and was able to print. Also, the print spooler service remained started. Hope it helps.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324757

Rich

MCP, MCSA, MCSE

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 10:19 PM
  •  MCSERich wrote:

I found a support document from Micorsoft's website that correct my print spooler issue. Below is the link you can go to view the document. I applied this fix to one of my Vista Business Dell machines. I successfully reinstalled the network printer and was able to print. Also, the print spooler service remained started. Hope it helps.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324757

Rich

MCP, MCSA, MCSE

This fix says it applies to XP but I did it on my Vista machine @ work and It fixed my problem as well. But I did make 1 change. I deleted the files in the 2 directories and restarted the pc and that was all I did. Then I added 2 networked printers using Vista drivers from the manufacturers' websites (HP & Toshiba). My spooler service has not shutdown and I am able to print again ty.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 8:03 PM
  • Okay, there seem to be a number of slight variations on this problem so I don't know how many of you this might work for, but it worked for mine, which was also Vista Business.

In the properties for the print spooler, in the Recovery tab, there are three drop down menus pertaining to service failures, make sure all three are set to restart service. The lowest of the three pertains to all failures after the first two, and, I believe, defaults to Do Nothing.

Beneath those are two more options with numeric fields, the upper is how often it clears the failure log and the lower is the delay before auto-restart of the service takes place. Set the lower box to zero. This should cause the spooler to restart almost instantly, you shouldn't even be able to notice any change at all to its state.

On the machine I was troubleshooting I still got the "spooler subapp has stopped working and had to close" error, but I was able to print several documents on several network printers and it hasn't crashed yet.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: I should note that this is a workaround and not a fix of the underlying error.

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 3:31 PM
  •  

Guys,

KB946940 may help you

Thanks

Friday, May 09, 2008 6:13 PM
  • Vista printer spooler stopped and printers & drivers vanished from system.

Re-installing printer drivers and a message says they already exist!

I installed a new HP Color LaserJet CP1215 printer about a week prior to this spooler problem and printed from it a few times without problems.

A message now says that I only have one sheet's worth of magenta and yellow ink remaining even though I have only printed about 4 or 5 sheets in colour!?

Can anyone please advise how to restart the spooler and have the printer drivers reappear?

Thanks, TJ

Tuesday, July 08, 2008 3:12 AM
  • dude ur amazing ty so much

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 8:28 AM
  •  lsoldati wrote:

Print spooler keeps stopping after every event ( open printer window, click on properties, print test page, etc.) I can restart the print spooler service, after each event but at this rate it takes four or five steps to print a document.  I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the printer/drivers (which of course invovles repeated starting of the spooler service), I've downloaded the lastest drivers from HP, and have even tried reinstalling my operating system. Vista, business edition.  Nothing worked for longer than two print cycles!  Please help.

--Lincoln

Monday, October 20, 2008 5:21 AM
  • We have a few Vista Pc's. And on each I set restart of service and the third time.
    It was working for a few months. And now again, it's not printing  and the most amazing thing is that usually vista did not report erros to user, so he says no messages reported, just computer not working Tried to restart print spooler a few times, it worked, printed one page, and stopped And finally got one information message telling to restart spooler or restart machine. Probably, solutions can be:
    restart service,
    add third time for restarting(using properties of service)... or add zero seconds(
    The Mad Scribe said, I've never checked)
    restart PC...
    but people, plz, do not buy a new printer  (in all computers where this problem occured, a printer list was empty, but there had to be at least two! So, it's not printer's fault, maybe drivers, but not printer's... )

If someone found fix or update post a link Smile
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 8:25 AM
  • I am posting this in hopes of helping others that are having issues with the Vista print spooler.  In my case, I have an HP Pavilion laptop running Vista connected to a wireless hub.   I also have a Minolta Konica 2300DL printer that is connected to the network via the wireless hub as well.    Ever since obtaining this laptop, I have not been able to print to the printer other than stopping and starting the print spooler to obtain a single print 'job'.   After about six months I found a post that contains the fix - I cannot take credit for it!   Follow these instructions to get your printer to work:

1.)  Go into control panel - I would suggest classic view as it is a little easier to navigate.

2.)  Then go into User Accounts.

3.)  From User Accounts go into Turn User Account Control On or Off

4.)  UNCHECK Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer.

5.)  At this point you will probably require a reboot.

Once this exercise is complete, you should be able to print.    One more item off of my Honey DOO list!!!!!

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 12:30 PM
  • I had this problem too!  I have a new HP laptop and had major printer problems with my Brother 640CW (Not only would PDF's not print, but word documents sometimes wouldn't print either).  I downloaded the new Vista driver from Brother, but still could not print PDF.  I searched all over the Internet for answers, and it seems MANY people are having this same problem.  Many "fixes" were listed, but they were very complex, and not being a computer expert, I was reluctant to try them.  THEN, I stumbled onto a quick fix that has solved all my problems. 

1.  Once you have installed any new drivers from your printer manufacturer and the  printer itself is installed, go into Control Panel and right click on your printer.  Select "Properties".

2. Under the "Advanced" tab, select the "Print Directly to Printer" radio button, thereby deselecting "Spool print documents so program finishes printing faster"

3. Click "Apply"

You should now be able to print from all programs. YEY!!!!!!

Best of Luck!

Kristy

Sunday, November 23, 2008 9:25 PM
  • i had the same problem to install a printer  (LAN). I disable the TCP IP for ipv6 and the printer will installed ok.

Sorry but i dont speak english very well but i hope that you understand what i said and solve your problem, friend.

Thank you.

Sunday, December 07, 2008 9:59 PM
  • I have already been running Vista on my laptop and printing to an hp LJ 1020 for months successfully with no issues.

I developed this printer spooler crash problem recently. The only change I remembered making lately was adding another laptop to my windows one care circle and doing printer sharing.

AHA! ... MS programs with bugs, never! :) ... I took off the extra laptop from the one care circle and voila ... no more printer spooler problems.

I am definitely investigating Linux and open desktop. I've had it with 10 years of MS and their inability to release tested software.
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 4:47 PM
  • Just an FYI -- I am an IT professional with a ND company, and an employee developed this problem today.  The culprit turned out to be our virus software, which was scanning for several hours this morning.  Once the virus scan was done the Print Spooler service remained started and the various print error messages stopped appearing. 
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 11:46 PM
  • I developed the Vista Print Spooler Always Stops problem after configuring a wireless network print server.  After searching the support forums and considering registry editing etc., I thought of using Vista's System Restore function.  (You can get to it by Run msconfig, then selecting the tools tab, and selecting System Restore.)  I selected an automatic restore point a day or so before I installed the print server, followed the instructions, and it worked perfectly! I haven't seen the System Restore feature mentioned in any of the support forums, but it should be one of the first things you try.

• Proposed as answer by JDVistaUser Sunday, February 28, 2010 2:03 AM
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 2:03 AM
  • Yes, me too, after system restore, printer spooler back to normal
    • Proposed as answer by Greggles77 Wednesday, April 28, 2010 3:51 AM
    Friday, March 19, 2010 7:52 AM
  • Sorry this is what fixed this EXACT problem for me:

RESOLUTION

This problem is most likely being caused by a submitted print job that has a corrupted ticket header.  This is often caused by application software or print drivers that do not adhere to industry print language standards. 

1. Stop the Print Spooler service from the Services Control Panel.

2. Clear out any suspect spool files from the print spooler directory. If in doubt, just empty this directory.

Default: C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\PRINTERS

Restart the Print Spooler service.

• Proposed as answer by Greggles77 Wednesday, April 28, 2010 3:53 AM
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 3:53 AM
  • Short term solution while investigating which driver/device/program is causing you troubles

batch file -

net stop spooler
    del c:\windows\system32\spool\printers\*.* /q
    net start spooler

set shorcut to "Run as administrator"

- Done and done.

--G

• Proposed as answer by alanbppa Friday, July 13, 2012 3:38 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by alanbppa Friday, July 13, 2012 3:39 AM
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 6:37 PM
  • I have experience all of the above, and tried all of the tricks that are free to me.

I have been continuing to do research on this, as has a friend of mine.

One suggestion came from Administrator tools.

When I went to

1. Power performance tools. Not sure where I found this, but ended up at Administrative tools.

Followed the directions, and restarted the printer.  My issue would start up about 2 - 3 hours after I boot up, and would first stop loading the printers, and then I would reboot, and things would be fine for another 2-3 hours. It never stopped printing in the middle of something, but the message always appeared after I would log in.

Now, I just go to this admin section, and follow these steps and click start printers. It loads them and then we are good to go without rebooting.

What an interesting problem, and it must be an issue, as it is listed as a Windows problem.

I am using Vista, and this problem showed up about a month ago.  Had been fine up until then. What was interesting is it took out all of my printers, so something weird.

<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1107304683 0 0 159 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";} a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; color:blue; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; color:purple; mso-themecolor:followedhyperlink; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:10.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} /* List Definitions */ @list l0 {mso-list-id:1701322427; mso-list-template-ids:632615412;} @list l0:level1 {mso-level-tab-stop:.5in; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-.25in;} @list l0:level2 {mso-level-tab-stop:1.0in; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-.25in;} @list l0:level3 {mso-level-tab-stop:1.5in; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-.25in;} @list l0:level4 {mso-level-tab-stop:2.0in; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-.25in;} @list l0:level5 {mso-level-tab-stop:2.5in; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-.25in;} @list l0:level6 {mso-level-tab-stop:3.0in; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-.25in;} @list l0:level7 {mso-level-tab-stop:3.5in; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-.25in;} @list l0:level8 {mso-level-tab-stop:4.0in; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-.25in;} @list l0:level9 {mso-level-tab-stop:4.5in; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-.25in;} @list l1 {mso-list-id:1706712768; mso-list-template-ids:2062836622;} @list l1:level1 {mso-level-tab-stop:.5in; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-.25in;} @list l1:level2 {mso-level-tab-stop:1.0in; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-.25in;} @list l1:level3 {mso-level-tab-stop:1.5in; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-.25in;} @list l1:level4 {mso-level-tab-stop:2.0in; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-.25in;} @list l1:level5 {mso-level-tab-stop:2.5in; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-.25in;} @list l1:level6 {mso-level-tab-stop:3.0in; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-.25in;} @list l1:level7 {mso-level-tab-stop:3.5in; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-.25in;} @list l1:level8 {mso-level-tab-stop:4.0in; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-.25in;} @list l1:level9 {mso-level-tab-stop:4.5in; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-.25in;} ol {margin-bottom:0in;} ul {margin-bottom:0in;} -->

Troubleshoot printer problems

Here are solutions to common problems with printers. For a step-by-step tutorial to help you identify and fix common printer problems, go to Printer problems in Windows .

You can also try running a program from Microsoft that automatically diagnoses and repairs problems with printing, installing a printer, connecting to a network printer, and other related errors. To do so, click this link and follow the instructions:

Diagnose and repair problems with printing

Picture of a Fix it button

Show content  My printer doesn't print.

This is a difficult problem to diagnose because there are many printers on the market and numerous reasons why one might not print.

First, make sure your printer is powered up and connected to your Windows computer according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Next, try updating the printer driver on your computer. Printer problems sometimes stem from out-of-date driver software, and can be solved by installing, or reinstalling, the latest driver.

To find the latest driver for your printer, first check Windows Update, which is designed to detect the hardware connected to your computer and automatically notify you when new drivers are available:

1. Click to open Windows Update.
    2. In the left pane, click Check for updates, and then wait while Windows looks for the latest updates for your computer.
    3. If any updates are found, click Install updates. Administrator permission required  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

If you don't see an updated printer driver listed, it's still possible that one exists: Your printer manufacturer may not have provided it to Microsoft yet.

Most printer manufacturers offer up-to-date drivers on the support sections of their websites. Drivers are typically organized by Windows edition and printer model. Once you find the proper driver, download and install it according to the manufacturer's instructions. For more help, see Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly .

If your printer still doesn't print, consult the support section of your printer manufacturer's website for model-specific troubleshooting tips.

Hide content  I see an error message about "spooler" problems, or the printer is printing more slowly than usual.

A print spooler is software that temporarily stores print jobs on the computer hard disk or in memory until the printer is ready to print them. If you've been waiting an unusually long time for a document to print, or if you see an error message about the print spooler, spooler subsystem, or spooler resources, you might need to change and then restart the Print Spooler service on your computer.

To do this, we recommend that you save your work, and then restart the computer to restart the Print Spooler service. If you don't want to restart the computer, try these steps instead.

To change or restart the Print Spooler service

You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps.

1. Click to open Administrative Tools.
    2. Double-click Services. Administrator permission required  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    3. Right-click the Print Spooler service, and then click Properties.
    4. On the General tab, next to Startup type, make sure that Automatic is selected.
    5. If the service is not already running, under Service status, click Start, and then click OK. Administrator permission required  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Saturday, June 05, 2010 8:19 PM
  • Worked like a charm- by far the easiest and quickest solution- THANKS!!
    Monday, July 12, 2010 10:13 PM
  • I have tried all of the above more times then I can count and still can't get my printer to print. I have hooked up four different printers, two used, and two brand new out of the box, and still nothing. I went into my print spooler and it says "loads documents to memory for later printing" is this my problem and how do I fix it. When I open "my computer" my printer does not even show up there. But when I go into my printers my printer is there and it says ready and online, if I unplug it it says offline. So I know the computer knows the printer is there it just wont "talk" to it. Please someone help me I just want to be able to print from my computer.
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 6:04 PM
  • Sprint Spooler Problems ,

Here is the Soulution:

Step 1) Physichally Disconnect the Printer by removing the Cable IE pull out the USB.

Step 2) Go into the ADMIN Section and Stop or Start the print spooler making it cycyle

Step 3) Go into System Printers and Remove the old Printer

Step 4) Plug the Printer cable back in

The Reason for the Problem is a combination of Hardware and Software. If you upgrade Windows with the Printer plugged into a USB port . When windows restores the printer will load with the old set of drivers because its a plug and play this is automated. This creates the conflict with the new operating system. Then reloading the new printer drivers does not take effect .

(By Unplugging the Cable to the Printer first before loading the new printer drivers you can avoid the problems )

But if you disconnect the Printer cable then cycle the print spool . This will clear the conflict, as the drivers may say there loaded but there not running as long as the printer is not plugged in. Once the conflict is cleared the normal printer delete remove works just fine with out reg edits  and other gimicks.

Id like the take the credit for figuring this out ... but after fighting a print spool problem for hours in both vista and after ungrading to windows . I remembered something on the install instruction of every HP printer ..>DO NOT PLUG IN THE CABLE UNTIL YOU LOAD THE PRINTER DRIVERS ...LOL When I read that I allways wondered why it was there ...Guess now we know.

Tuesday, September 07, 2010 2:39 PM
  • Usually the driver crashes and preempts the print spooler. the famous HP LJ 1020 made an expert on printing, because the driver is faulty. read on...

you have two options:

OPTION1

www.computesimple.com and buy the ebook there it will help you solve your problem and others. go to the end of this to find another link for the print spooler fix .

First things first, Don't forget to LOL. 7

Before OOB (Out of the Box). 8

Out of the Box Experience. 9

Single Click or double Click?. 11

The Start button, Start Menu and Taskbar. 12

MY Computer or Computer. 15

The RUN Dialog Window.. 19

Copy and Paste (Ctrl C, Ctrl V). 21

The Undo and Redo Commands. 24

Selecting and copying multiple items. 25

Drag and Drop. 26

Create a new folder. 28

Browsing for files and folders, file proprieties. 29

Address Paths. 35

Screen captures – Screen shots. 36

Working with archive files. 37

Antivirus Antispyware vs. Ad-Aware or Bugs. 40

Profile cleaning and maintenance. 43

Users and Profile Backup. 46

Wild Cards. 48

Chapter 2 Recovering your computer. 49

Burn your recovery DVDs. 50

Recovering your computer from the recovery partition. 52

Recovering your computer from the Recovery DVDs. 54

Lenovo recovery from DVDs - Example. 66

Installing the Windows® OS. 73

Windows® partitions and Disk Management. 75

Installing Windows® OS from the CD/DVD.. 77

Windows® XP Professional 78

Installing Windows® 7. 94

Installing new drivers. 104

Problems with Automatic Driver Installation. 110

Chapter 3. 112

Expanding your Computer’s abilities. 112

Downloading and Installing Applications. 113

Installing RealPlayer®. 121

Installing ITunes®. 124

Burning CDs DVDs. 126

Necessary Software. 130

Downloading and installing OpenOffice®. 132

The Insert key Problem.. 136

Chapter 4. 137

Windows® OS and Control Panel 137

Inside the Box or inside the Tower. 138

S-ATA Hard-drive Connection. 139

Familiarize yourself with the Operating System.. 141

Control Panel 142

Programs and features. 143

Backing UP your data. 145

Default Programs and File Extensions. 148

Folder Options. 151

Network and Sharing Center. 155

Internet Options. 157

Windows® Update and Windows® Firewall 158

Devices and Printers. 159

Add a network printer. 160

Installing a shared printer. 168

Sharing a printer. 169

Troubleshooting the printer. 171

Device Manager. 177

The Notification Area. 178

Microsoft SyncToy. 181

WinMerge. 186

Chapter 5. 189

Troubleshooting. 189

Troubleshooting your Windows® Start-Up. 190

Hard Disk tools. 192

System Restore. 196

Troubleshooting your PC – Msconfig. 198

Troubleshooting your computer - The SysInternals® Tools. 202

ERD Commander. 210

Troubleshooting your printer and print spooler. 211

Chapter 6 Networking. 214

Network IP addresses. 215

Setting up your network. 216

Network Overviews. 217

Tweaking your Verizon DSL network. 219

Troubleshooting your wired network connectivity. 223

Connecting to your wireless network. 228

Troubleshooting your wireless network. 232

Transferring or migrating data to the new computer. 236

Remote Desktop. 252

Remote Desktop Options. 258

Windows® Firewall in Windows® 7. 262

Chapter 7. 266

More Fun Stuff. 266

Manage an IPOD® with ITunes®. 267

Downloading YouTube® files for iPods. 277

HandBrake. 279

Manipulating CDs DVDs and ISOs. 280

Video LAN Player VLC player

Virtual Machines

or

OPTION 2

www.gameaddict.eu where you'll find a tutorial for the print spooler and search for "print spooler" to find the thread.

Thursday, September 09, 2010 7:56 PM
  • There are several ways to resolve printer spooler error, probably because there are many variations of this error.

The error caused by faulty software can be resolved by deleting all the information found in the directory.

Thereafter, navigate to the Control Panel, click on Administrative Tools and then services icon.

Find the service labeled Print Spooler, highlight it and restart the process. If that doesn’t work, the program might be corrupted.

Click on start, then Run. Search for the document labeled services.msc, and this will trigger the opening of another window.

On this window, scroll down and click “Print Spooler”.

Check its setting and turn on automatic mode.

Click Okay, and restart the machine.

If you’re lucky, this might be all you have to do. Still doesn’t work?

Navigate to the Add/Remove Programs screen of the Control Panel.

Find the all the software responsible for making the printer run including the drivers, and uninstall them. Be sure to be thorough about it, or the problem may not be solved.

Download the latest copy of your printer’s software from the manufacturer and reinstall it.

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/printer/68459#2

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 5:33 AM

RESOLUTION

This problem is most likely being caused by a submitted print job that has a corrupted ticket header.  This is often caused by application software or print drivers that do not adhere to industry print language standards. 

2. Clear out any suspect spool files from the print spooler directory. If in doubt, just empty this directory.

Greggles77's solution above worked for me too. 

Symptoms were, in Vista, suddenly neither of two connected HP printers (one inkjet, one laser) would print. In Control Panel >> Printers, every entry had vanished. When trying to add a printer back again there using File >> Add Printer, the wizard quickly stalled with an error message about Printer Spooler problem. Going to Services using Start >> Search services.msc showed the Print Spooler was stopped. Restarting it did no good, as it stopped again upon trying to print something.

Deleting everything in the print spooler folder (files with .spl and .shd extensions) and then restarting the Print Spool service solved the problem immediately.

It took a lot of research to find this simple solution. As usual, I am absolutely horrified by some of the totally mad and extreme procedures described in most of the technical forums (or fora, lol, to be pedantic!). Some people just jump straight in and start fiddling with the Registry or re-installing the operating system. No wonder their systems never work properly! It is so important to start troubleshooting slowly and carefully, and avoiding anything drastic in the early stages because, as this solution shows, the answer can often be extremely simple. Better to spend another day, if necessary, researching the problem rather than jump straight in with your size twelves and wreck the system completely!

(Off Topic: Why does the Quote function in this forum not work properly and automatically attribute quotes to their author? - ah, of course, this is a Microsoft site, lol...)

Saturday, October 30, 2010 2:03 AM
  • In the mean time try this driver for 32 bits, hadn't had any complaints.

fix-hp-1020-print-spooler-subsystem-crash/

Please do not forget to select the best answer if it helps you! The Ultimate computer newbie guide since the discovery of spoon feeding! The Computer Manual dot Com
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 2:41 AM

RESOLUTION

Greggles77's solution above worked for me too. 

thank you for posting the solution - saved me huge headaches!

Sunday, March 13, 2011 1:56 PM

RESOLUTION

This worked!!! Thank you so much!
    Wednesday, April 06, 2011 12:19 PM
  • GOD BLESS YOU MY SON!!!!!! 
    Saturday, April 16, 2011 5:14 PM
  • Excellent Greggles....

This worked for me. Deleting spool files fixed the issue.

You Rock dude..

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 4:35 PM
  • I am having the same printer spooler issues and have tried everything that windows has recommended.  I went an purchased another printer and that did not work.  I had a computer tech take over my pc to try and fix the issue and after 2 hrs he said that my program was corrupted and the fixes will not work, of course I was charged for the time that nothing was done!!!. 

The last thing I found out is that the issue is with Vista,  I was told that Vista is like the ME 2000 that replaced 98 and it was so bad, but they did that until the Windows XP came out.  It was like it was to serve as a soother until something better came along.  It was not FREE though.  I am so disgusted at this time that I want to just throw the computer and printer out the window.  I wish someone could come up with something that works.  Windows, I'm sure, is well aware of the issue and now they have 7 which is like XP.  They need to compensate Vista users....

I just wanted to vent.  Thanks

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 7:26 PM
  • In windows features make sure LED print services and L PR port monitor are checked

In printers, right click on printer, tuna as administrator, properties, advanced

Unchecked spool print docs

Check print directly to printer.

While not ideal for printing effectively, it did stop the spooler problem. After 4 hours with tech services they recommended a reload of Vista! Found this one myself.

Thanks,

http://www.uniquemarking.com/

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 5:19 PM
  • Thank you so much for posting this! Hooray! It completely fixed my printer problems and was SO EASY! Thank you again for making time to post a solution!

;-) 

You are one of the good guys. ;-)

Trisha

Saturday, May 14, 2011 3:20 AM
  • Here's something easy to try. Open Explorer and go to C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS
    If there are any files in that folder delete them, open services.msc and go down to Print Spooler, highlight it and click
    Start
    I have this problem frequently but I think in my case it is due to my wife connecting to my PC via Remote Desktop multiple times each day and something in RDP is probably not releasing the print spooler back to my PC when she disconnects or possibly when I log in while she is logged in and break the connection from her PC.

Sunday, July 17, 2011 10:31 PM
  • Hey This problem is because of virus ya...make sure that ur pc is affected by virus....else log in with local administator id and password and restart the spooler.... not working means...repair the operating system... else formating is only the way...
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 10:58 AM
  • Hi,

Go to Start / Run and type in "services.msc" without quotation marks, then press Enter or click OK.

In the window that opens (Services) look for "Print Spooler" on the right

Right-click "Print Spooler" and select "Properties".

Click on the "Recovery" tab and change all 3 drop-down boxes to "Restart The Service".

Make sure the 2 text boxes underneath say "1" in them.

Click Ok until you are back at the Services window, close it and you're good to go.

Go back into the properties of the "Print Spooler" tab and be sure to click Start to restart the Print Spooler service and it will restart the service immediately.

The Print spooler depends on the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service. Is this service disabled? Go to services.msc look for RPC. Check state: Automatic

http://printers.iyogi.com/errors/printer-spooler-error.html

Hope this information helps you.

Friday, August 26, 2011 10:08 AM
  • Hi,

Go to Start / Run and type in "services.msc" without quotation marks, then press Enter or click OK.

In the window that opens (Services) look for "Print Spooler" on the right

Right-click "Print Spooler" and select "Properties".

Click on the "Recovery" tab and change all 3 drop-down boxes to "Restart The Service".

Make sure the 2 text boxes underneath say "1" in them.

Click Ok until you are back at the Services window, close it and you're good to go.

Go back into the properties of the "Print Spooler" tab and be sure to click Start to restart the Print Spooler service and it will restart the service immediately.

The Print spooler depends on the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service. Is this service disabled? Go to services.msc look for RPC. Check state: Automatic

Get more information to fix printer spooler error :

http://printers.iyogi.com/errors/printer-spooler-error.html

Hope this information helps you.

Friday, August 26, 2011 10:10 AM
  • Hi

Just do the following 3 simple steps:

1) Stop your Print Spooler service

2) delete all files from %windir%\System32\spool\PRINTERS

3) Start your Print Spooler service

Monday, September 12, 2011 5:32 PM
  • THIS FIX WORKED FOR ME!!!

In my case the print spooler service would just stop a few second after manually starting the service.

This worked for me and hopefully will work for you guys too.

1. Go to "Control Panel" and "Administrative Tools"

2. Go to "Print Management" and expand "Custom Filters"

3. Click on "All Drivers" and remove/delete all drivers to printers that you don't use anymore...or one that you might think could be causing the problem. (Ex. if you have a driver for HP LaserJet listed, but you are not using that printer anymore, then go ahead and delete the driver)

Good luck!

Tuesday, November 08, 2011 3:30 PM
  • I have the same problem, but I've worked it out with help from Microsoft. After paying a $49.00 fee (I think), they told me this solution:

Go to Start - Programs - Accessories - Command Prompt (right click and select "Run as Administrator"). Then type in "net start spooler" at the Command prompt.

It only works for one page though.

That is what I got for calling Microsoft and paying for their help.

They are not in any hurry (if at all) to fix the real issue.

Good Luck !!

Monday, December 12, 2011 3:51 AM
  • This is amazing.   This thread has been going on for 4 years or more, and still no definitive answer from MS?  A lot of different answers here, and yet none of them work for me.  I did a bit of testing and found out a few things.

First of all, this problem has nothing to do with physical hardware, drivers, or printer servers from what I can tell.  It has something to do with the implementation of the dialog box many Windows programs use to set the printer options. 

I have a samba server on a CentOS machine where the printer is served by CUPS.  Supposedly, Windows can detect CUPS printers automagically, and while that does work, it doesn't work consistently.  At any rate, our Vista laptop here was flaky re finding and maintaining persistent info on the CUPS printer.  It would find it, hang around just long enough for one or two print jobs, then it would disappear again.  We had to set up the printer every time we booted Vista.

Finally, after searching and studying printing technology, and nearly earning an advanced degree in it, I decided to hardcode the ipp path and port in windows.  Once I did that, and saved it, it has been consistently there every boot.   But now the problem is that programs will crash when sending print jobs to the CUPS server.

However, not ALL programs have this issue.  Firefox, Word, and Adobe Reader do not crash when using the CUPS printer.  IE and Windows Explorer do, as do their various repackaged versions used by other tools.   I notice that when the window title is "Windows Printer" then the program will crash and (usually) restart.  But Firefox, Word, and Reader seem to have their own UI dialog box with other window titles and do not crash when using the print dialog.  In fact, merely clicking on the print button rather than the dropdown will generate the crash.

I have used samba and cups serving various versions of Windows for at least a decade without incident.  Sometimes it is tricky to configure in some environments, but it always ends up working, and working consistently.  I have had success with Win95, 2000, and XP.  Vista is the first version I have run into issues with, and there are more, but I will not diverge from this printer config issue.

I can relate to the aggravation of others here over the years who have run into the same problem.  It is particularly disappointing that MS technology appears to be going backwards, not forwards, but we have all come to expect this.   For myself, I run Linux and stay as far away from Windows as possible, except for situations like this where I must support victims ("users") of Windows.

Saturday, February 11, 2012 11:54 PM
  • Absolutely brilliant, was pulling what was left of my hair out, this fixed the problem for me.

I bow down and give you great kudos for this one.

Friday, June 15, 2012 10:01 AM
  • This is the quick fix I use. It always works for me:

Step 1. Use Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS. After clicking on PRINTERS you will see a number of files displayed. DELETE THEM ALL (but not the PRINTERS folder). Don't worry - they are only temporary files anyway.

Step 2. Click START / Run  and type: net start spooler

That's all there is to it.

My two printers are restored and work normally again.

Sunday, June 17, 2012 4:33 AM
  • Spooler keeps stopping   No printers available   Vista

This fix worked for Vista spooler continually spooler continually stopping and "No printers available"

A corrupt file is in c:\windows\system32\spool\printers

by deleting the corrupt file(s) in this directory (I deleted the only 2 files there) and

restarting spooler manually -->all systems go!

-A

Friday, July 13, 2012 3:43 AM
  • I was printing multiple school notices from an email when I received an error message that stated the "spooler sub system app stopped working and was closed." Tried restarting the subsystem manually and rebooting several times with out success. Could not see the printer in the system. Kept getting messages that I needed to reinstall the printer. I saw this, tried and it worked!! Thank you for posting........
    Monday, September 30, 2013 2:52 PM