none
Re-Validation of Windows after Hard Drive change

Question

• Hi All,

A very frustrating problem.  My DELL PC is almost 2 years old and I was hit with a hardware failure of one of the hard drives.  So I replaces the 2 SATA 1Tb linked drives with a single 2Tb drive.  Re-imaged my PC onto the new drive and thought all was ok.  Although when I check the status of my computer (right button on My computer properties) is says that Windows is validated and gives my OEM product key for Windows Professional 64bit, but I cannot access windows updates.  Simply says this is not available.

I have also noticed some of my drivers such as my USB3.0 controller install but then don't work as they claim a "genuine certificate" is required to install them.  These all worked before no trouble.  I have also reinstalled my MS Office 2007 software and although it accepts the product key, again it cannot provide any updates for these packages.

Very frustrating and I feel I'm stuck in the middle.  Microsoft say not their problem, need to talk to the OEM, and DELL just want to sell a new computer instead and don't really have a clue even though it was their product that failed me after only 22 months.

Any insight from anyone on how to fix this issue or who in the UK to contact would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks 

David

Saturday, March 03, 2012 6:41 PM

Answers

• Something went wrong with your imaging your hard drive and you will probably have to do a clean install of your system to get Windows working properly again.

This is not a Windows 7 problem because it is the result of using a third party utility to image your hard drive.

The process did not work!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Sunday, March 04, 2012 2:12 PM

All replies

• You must go to the Dell website and download the Windows 7 drivers and utility software for your system.

You're right about being stuck in the middle.  When you buy any computer system with an OEM version of windows installed, the contract with Microsoft and the OEMs stipulate that any and all support, including windows, is the responsibility of the OEM.  It has been that way for many, many years.

Not sure why you cannot access updates, but perhaps others may have some suggestions on that.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Saturday, March 03, 2012 7:09 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the feedback, but it is not a problem of not having the drivers.  I ahve all the files and CDs available its just that they won't install as it says I need a genuinme certificate to do so.  This means I now have no sound on my PC, and iTunes hasn't got the right drivers to burn disks so very frustrating.

The big problem is getting WIndows to accept that I now have a new hard drive.  It wasn't my fault the drive Dell originally provided with my machine that failed its HDD so quickly, so I have been stung for replacing that and now have a PC that doesn't work (fully, but all the things I want it to do!).

Saturday, March 03, 2012 7:30 PM
  • Who or what is asking for a "genuine certificate" to install drivers?  I know that the drivers are supposed be certified to be installed, but the "certificate" should be embedded in the driver.

Just for for comparison try download the drivers directly from the Dell website and see if you get the same problem.

Maybe your "imaging" is causing the problem since the original installation should have had at least 3 partition; 1 for System Reserved, 1 for C: drive, and 1 for System Recover/Restore.  You may be missing some critical files if you don't have the same structure now.

Saturday, March 03, 2012 7:51 PM
  • Does this help?

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindows7/thread/b58f4f96-a2fb-4fa2-bc9c-342ed4529b08

Apparently, restoring Windows from an image can cause the result to fail WGA validation. Re-installing the IRST (Intel Rapid Storage Technology) drivers can fix that.

If that doesn't do it, all that I can think of is try removing the product key from the Windows installation and re-activating it. (I beleive that you can remove the key by running slmgr.vbs /upk from a command window launched with admin priviliges.) If activation fails, of course, you'd be worse off than you are now.

What advice did Dell support offer? (I doubt that they tried to sell you a new PC on the spot.) I expect that they're working from scripts, but I'd guess that what you have done would be covered.

Sunday, March 04, 2012 3:45 AM
  • Hi

I'm afraid the re-installing IRST drivers didn't work.  They applied successfully, apparently, but still I cannot load my drivers on.  I get the Program Compatibility Assistant saying "Windows requires a digitally signed driver..." even though the drivers are genuine and did instal last time.

Windows update also still doesn't work.  When I load the page it is marked with the red cross and says "says "Check for updates for your computer" but then when I hit the check for updates button it then says "Windows Update cannot currently check fir updates, because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer."  No matter what I do I cannot start this again.

Dell only said that I need to call back mon-fri so not much help at a weekend.

Sunday, March 04, 2012 8:23 AM
  • Something went wrong with your imaging your hard drive and you will probably have to do a clean install of your system to get Windows working properly again.

This is not a Windows 7 problem because it is the result of using a third party utility to image your hard drive.

The process did not work!

Sunday, March 04, 2012 2:12 PM