none
The computer was restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error.

Question

• Hi, I previously purchased Windows 7 Professional edition on my computer in the download option. The installation process completed but after it finished the computer restarted and I got an error message saying "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows intallation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click "OK" to restart the computer, and then restart the installation."

Whenever I click OK it just goes in a loop and I continue to get the same error message. Any advice on how to finish the installation is much appreciated. Thank you.
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 6:06 PM

All replies

• Ok, we're missing some vital data here. Was this an upgrade? Was this an anytime upgrade? Or did you burn the DVD yourself and you have the DVD available?  Did you unpug ALL external devices except for the keyboard and mouse? It doesn't sound as though the installation had finished. Did you power it off at anytime during the install. Any other errors occur before this reboot loop?

Review this thread and see if anthing there helps http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7install/thread/02fecb91-462a-4d7a-9dad-d38f053ab587  If you have the DVD, on a boot screen (right during or immediately after post screen) hit F8 with your DVD in, and try this

To resolve this problem, use the Startup Repair tool. The Startup Repair tool can fix some problems that prevent the operating system from starting correctly.
    You can run the Startup Repair tool by using the Windows Vista or Windows 7 installation disc or by using the computer's preinstalled recovery options.
    To run the Startup Repair tool by using the Windows Vista or Windows 7 installation disc

If you have the Windows Vista or Windows 7 installation disc, follow these steps to use the Startup Repair tool:
    1. Insert the installation disc.
    Note: The computer must be configured to start from a CD or from a DVD. For information about how to configure the computer to start from a CD or from a DVD, see the information that came with the computer.
    2. Restart the computer. To do this, click, click the arrow next to the Lock button, and then click Restart.
    Note: If you cannot restart the computer by using this method, use the power button to turn off the computer. Then, turn the computer back on.
    3. Set your language preference, and then click Next.
    Note: In most cases, the startup repair process starts automatically, and you do not have the option to select it in the System Recovery Options menu.
    4. Click Repair your computer.
    5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
    6. In the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair to start the repair process.
    7. When the repair process is complete, click Finish.

MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 6:58 PM
  • This was an upgrade from Windows Vista Home Edition to Windows 7 Professional Edition. It was not a DVD upgrade, it was a downloadable upgrade. I have removed all external devices before the upgrade. I think the problem is that the installation did not complete, so I have no operating system on my computer. The computer was just rebooted a few times during the installation, then the screen went black for about 20 minutes, so I attempted to restart manually. 
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 7:44 PM
  • Hello! I am experiencing the same problem. I have a new sony vaio laptop.  Upon opening the laptop for the first time, windows error recovery showed up.  I proceeded with "starting the windows  normally" option.  after that, an error box appeard and contained: the computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error.  Windows installation cannot proceed.  To install windows, click "OK" to restart the computer, and then retstart the installation.  I would click OK and would restart but would eventually receive the same message over and over again.  How do i go about it? my friend who bought it for me from another country said that after purchasing the product, she pushed the power button just to check if it's working then turned it off it seconds after.  this is not an upgrade, the OS came with the laptop. help please! i cannot proceed to use and open my new computer. =(
    Sunday, March 21, 2010 4:03 AM
  • try taking out the battery for 20 mins and then replacing it

if that doesn't work try using the recovery partition or disc... look for your manual to try an find out exactly how to use the recovery option

my answers or disscusion points might not always right but they may have points not yet looked at. If you feel insulted by any points this is not my intention, i'm trying to help
    Monday, March 22, 2010 11:52 PM
  • I find it amazing Microsoft has putt W7 out there and full well know about this rather common issue but still they have not bothered to publish a standard fix for it!?

I have the issue as well on a W7 (x64) Home Premium installation. I was running my laptop without the battery and stupidly tripped over the power cable. The laptop shut down... and came up with this error on the next boot.

I know there are boot files that can be replaced with the help of third party tool (let's me get into the file system), but I can't find information anywhere about what the file names are. If anybody knows it would be great. I understand you need to use files from the same version of Windows as the one installed but all installations should have the same file structure and therefor the fix should be standard.

It's worth mentioning that I've had a stab at all the standard repair procedures and none of them work. Lastly, it was also a factory installation so comes with a recovery partition. This, sadly... does not work either and means that the O/S is OEM.

Any information will be great, thanks...

• Proposed as answer by Jackal696 Tuesday, February 28, 2012 5:12 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Jackal696 Tuesday, February 28, 2012 5:12 PM
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 5:03 PM
  • Well if when you first turned on the laptop Kebaber it would have asked you if you would like to make your recovery disk(just encase the hard drive recovery does not work) if you did that reinstalling windows is disk exchanging till it's done or depends on the date and manufacturer if they supplied you with the recovery disks. This is a total cheap out of the manufactures because at lest the little old lady whom doesn't have the skills to make these discs or they ppl who ...say yeah i'll do it later and never do (slap self many times if this is you). Otherwise you have 3 options find/buy a OEM disk and reinstall using that or call manufacturer and order those disks or go to a computer shop and get them to do the reinstall.

1 more option is trying a repair disk made from any windows 7 computer as long as it's the same BIT 32 bit or 64 bit

Hope that helps

my answers or disscusion points might not always right but they may have points not yet looked at. If you feel insulted by any points this is not my intention, i'm trying to help

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 5:20 PM
  • Jackal696 - Thanks for the response! I gave up looking for an answer in the end and quite litterally just installed another [non-OEM] Windows 7 (x64) on top of that. I ran out of time so can't really say what the result was but I can tell you that Windows starts up again. The problem is that there is a Windows.old directory now. Tonight I plan to use a Mini-XP (linux tool) to access the file system. I plan to swap the two Windows directories around tonight and then hopefully see what the results are. I know; it sounds like a destructive path... but, this is more just for testing and I've already made peace with the fact that I may have to wipe and clean-install if this doesn't work. I'll try and remember to note down the results for you later on...
    Wednesday, February 29, 2012 9:13 AM