none
Printer Driver - HP LaserJet 1200

Question

• My older HP LaserJet 1200 worked fine with XP and also Vista, but doesn't work at all with Win7.  It ays there is no driver.  Should the Vista drivers work, or will there be a HP LaserJet 1200 driver included later, or am I just at the mercy of HP?
    Monday, May 18, 2009 5:17 PM

Answers

• My older HP LaserJet 1200 worked fine with XP and also Vista, but doesn't work at all with Win7.  It ays there is no driver.  Should the Vista drivers work, or will there be a HP LaserJet 1200 driver included later, or am I just at the mercy of HP?

Hi

You can try downloading the Vista drivers and installing them using the Windows 7 Compatibility Mode options.

Yes, you are at the mercy of HP. If a hardware manufacturer decides to end support for a partivular device, there isn't much anyone can do about it except complain to HP.

Here are the steps to install the drivers in Compatibility Mode.

Right click the driver installation file and select Properties/Compatibility Tab. Select the options shown in the following image.

Screenshot: Compatibility Mode Options

Click Apply/OK.

Right click the file and select the Run As Administrator option to install.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Tuesday, May 26, 2009 9:40 AM
    Monday, May 18, 2009 5:39 PM

All replies

Hi

You can try downloading the Vista drivers and installing them using the Windows 7 Compatibility Mode options.

Yes, you are at the mercy of HP. If a hardware manufacturer decides to end support for a partivular device, there isn't much anyone can do about it except complain to HP.

Here are the steps to install the drivers in Compatibility Mode.

Right click the driver installation file and select Properties/Compatibility Tab. Select the options shown in the following image.

Screenshot: Compatibility Mode Options

Click Apply/OK.

Right click the file and select the Run As Administrator option to install.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Tuesday, May 26, 2009 9:40 AM
    Monday, May 18, 2009 5:39 PM
  • If you go through the normal "Add Printer" routine, when the option to select a printer driver appears, select "Windows Update". It will take a minute or two, but the correct drivers will be downloaded and your HP 1200 will appear in the selection list. I have an HP 1200, HP 5MP and a Laserjet 4 - all drivers installed with no problems in this manner.
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 3:49 PM
  • You may have to wait a little longer than a minute for Windows update. It usually takes upwards of 10 minutes to get back the updated driver list and during that time the window seems frozen but it is not. As mmccloud says, those drivers will be there.
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 5:50 PM
  • I have gone thru the windows update and install laserjet 1200 PCL 5 but I can't get it to print manual duplex. I used 1200 PCL 6 on my old laptop with no issues on duplex printing. Can PCL 5 do duplex printing and if yes why can't I get it to work on windows 7?
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 3:48 AM
  • Ronnie,

You refer to the driver installation file, where do I find that? I have my old XP installation disc but there is no file referred to as the installation file. Thanks in advance

Alex

Thursday, May 27, 2010 5:28 AM
  • Ronnie,

You refer to the driver installation file, where do I find that? I have my old XP installation disc but there is no file referred to as the installation file. Thanks in advance

Alex

Hi Alex

Start here: HP LaserJet 1200 Printer series - Download drivers and software

Select your operationg system and follow the instructions.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 6:40 AM