none
Create shortcut to XP mode app from Win7 host

Question

• I have an application that I installed in XP mode.  Only problem is I want to be able to start it without first launching the VM.  The other applications I installed in XP mode all show up in the Win7 Start menu under Windows Virtual PC\Windows Virtual PC Applications while this one does not.

My question is how do I add a shortcut to my Win7 Start menu for an application installed in XP mode?
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 5:14 PM

Answers

• Got it!  This is really kind of stupid but here's the answer:

http://superuser.com/questions/84275/creating-an-app-shortcut-in-windows-7-xp-mode

Basically you need to use the New Shortcut wizard to create the shortcut instead of just copying it from somewhere.
    • Marked as answer by jkloth1 Wednesday, January 27, 2010 5:34 PM
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 5:34 PM

All replies

• Inside xp mode, create a shortcut to your app, under, %allusersprofile%\start menu. A few seconds later, the app short cut gets published on the win7 start menu under Windows Virtual pC"->"windows xp mode applications"
    Thanks, Rashmi U.R
    • Proposed as answer by kwame Wednesday, June 30, 2010 8:33 AM
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 5:24 PM
  • There is a shortcut in the all users\start menu.  It still doesn't appear in Win7.
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 5:27 PM
  • Which application is this? Is this something present in xp already?
    Thanks, Rashmi U.R
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 5:33 PM
  • Got it!  This is really kind of stupid but here's the answer:

http://superuser.com/questions/84275/creating-an-app-shortcut-in-windows-7-xp-mode

Basically you need to use the New Shortcut wizard to create the shortcut instead of just copying it from somewhere.
    • Marked as answer by jkloth1 Wednesday, January 27, 2010 5:34 PM
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 5:34 PM
  • This worked for me:

+ create the shortcut with the wizard

+ copied it to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 8:34 AM
  • Look at programms and windows features in add/remove programms, there must be checked virtual pc  feature. If there was installed ms update for this it will not appear in start menu until you check this in features menu
    Thursday, April 05, 2012 9:17 PM
  • Thanks Rashmi it works
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 2:49 PM