none
This action cannot be completed because the other program is busy.

Question

• I see that this question has been asked regarding several different situations but I haven't found one that matches mine.

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. When I try to start my Epson DX6000 scanner to import material to Paint Shop Pro 7 I get the message "This action cannot be completed because the other program is busy. Choose 'Switch To' to activate the busy program and correct the the problem." Clicking 'Switch To' does nothing because the window locks up and the only way I can continue is to use the Task Manager to close down PSP. This happens even when PSP is the first program I open and scanning is the first operation I attempt, with no other application running. The scanner works as a standalone but is not so convenient because editing the scanned material involves loading it into PSP instead of having it there directly. No browser is involved in this and printing to the Epson is unaffected.

I've just migrated to a refurbished PC running Windows 7 from my old one with XP Pro where this operation worked flawlessly.

Saturday, March 17, 2012 1:13 AM

Answers

• 1. There are many difference between Windows XP and Windows 7 and it is not true to infere, that what worked flawlessly in W XP would work the same way in W 7. The main difference stem from security model.

2. You are expected to use drivers and support software, that is compatible with W 7. Install with elevated rights.

3. Unless the Epson support or community helps to resolve the problem, use Process Monitor from Sysinternals to pinpoint the critical spot. You may have to change access rights somewhere, I guess.

Regards

Milos

Saturday, March 17, 2012 10:21 AM