none
TV Setup stuck on Downloading TV Setup Data

Question

• Windows 7 - 32bit - Media Center Live TV setup.
    TV Setup stuck on "Downloading TV Setup Data for your region" trying to download information for my country (Italy).

My TV Tuner is Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-T-Stick
    • Edited by pier_mauge Monday, June 01, 2009 5:51 PM
    Monday, June 01, 2009 11:59 AM

All replies

• How long do you wait for it to finish?  On my system it has sometimes taken as long as 2 hours.
    Monday, June 01, 2009 9:23 PM
  • Not more than half an hour. I'm speaking about Download TV Setup data and not scanning for TV station on aereal antenna
    Tuesday, June 02, 2009 6:02 AM
  • I have the same issue and have left the media center in this "Downloading TV Setup Data" for over 2 hours and... nothing it just stops its updating process. The little meter never moves any further than its initial 1 dot. This sucks. If the media center in Windows 7 with isnt going to work with a newer Hauppauge WinTV card, then I will never buy it. I will just stay with WinXp & go with the BeyondTV software.

My card is the dual tuner: http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/prods_hvr_internal.html

and my zipcode is 46350
    O/S: Windows 7 Ultimate, and fully updated with all the latest releases

is there a fix for this stoppage or update lockup??

WinTV-HVR-2250 Dual Tuner PCI Express TV tuner

• Two analog tuners, each with their own hardware encoders
    • Two digital TV receivers for ATSC or clear QAM
    • Watch one analog or digital channel while recording another
    • Single slot PCI Express (PCIe) X1 board, half height
    • Dual built-in hardware MPEG-2 encoders, for the best system performance when recording analog cable TV.
    • Supports clear QAM digital cable TV channels with the new WinTV v6 application

I also thought that it may be because of the WIndows firewall blocking the tranfer, so I shut it down. This is a fairly new install, with no added security or firewall or blocking type softwares added..
    I found this setup guide: http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-vista/set-up-your-tv-signal-in-windows-media-center/

and their STEP 7 is where my setup stops... and never goes any further... even If I let it set all night lon and get up the next morning its still in the same place & the computer isnt locked up. I can open browsers, and manuever fine thoughout the system. I have tried 10 time in all sorts of ways and its always the same place where it stop or stalls... Ive checked for updates... nothing... no fix anywhere... any ideas?

• Edited by seb6000 Tuesday, June 16, 2009 8:21 AM
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 7:44 AM
    TV Setup stuck on "Downloading TV Setup Data for your region" trying to download information for my country (Italy).

This happens because the process mcupdate.exe, which downloads tv setup data, is not running which should have rrun automatically during tv setup. So make a shortcut on desktop  with this path "C:\Windows\ehome\mcupdate.exe -manual -nogc -p" and run it. Everthing will be fine.
    • Proposed as answer by Tony Hunt Friday, August 14, 2009 3:55 PM
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 2:55 PM
  • Thanks a lot azmath76, I was stuck for ages.. and mcupdate fixed it!  Windows 7 RTM. (Pinnacle)

Tonster
    Friday, August 14, 2009 3:49 PM

This happens because the process mcupdate.exe, which downloads tv setup data, is not running which should have rrun automatically during tv setup. So make a shortcut on desktop  with this path "C:\Windows\ehome\mcupdate.exe -manual -nogc -p" and run it. Everthing will be fine.
    My thanks to you also. I've been trying for 3 days and let it run overnight. Your fix worked within seconds.  Thanks!
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 3:35 PM
  • Thanks...I was just about to reinstall. This happened to me before and only a reinstall could fix it.  Nice solution.  I figured this time I have the RTM so there must be a fix for the problem.  By the way when you say make a shortcut on the desktop not necessary.  Just open cmd as admin and input the code while it's stuck downloading and you should be all good.
    Friday, September 04, 2009 5:16 AM
  • Hi,
    What about a simply uninstall of WMC and reinstall it again (do not get confused run set up again inside WMC) and no shortcuts on desktop.
    Friday, September 04, 2009 5:10 PM
  • Wow thanks! Worked for me.
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 11:11 AM
  • WecoSoft ; YOU ARE BRILLIANT...
    Worked immediately...
    Many many thanks..been struggling with it for 4 days before reading your post.

Saturday, October 03, 2009 7:53 PM
  • Azmath76.

I have the windows 7 Ultimate 64bits and cannot find the mcupdate.exe. I search in all hard disk without success. I´d appreciate any help.

Thanks

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 7:26 PM
  • Sorry for the mistake. the mcupdate is there. thanks a lot Azmath76
    Wednesday, May 05, 2010 7:29 PM
  • Thanks.  I was switching to broadcast tv from dish network and could not get this to work until I read your post.
    Sunday, December 12, 2010 7:39 AM
  • Hi azmath76,

Even after such a long time after you posted your answer it is very helpfull. Discovered today that my Windows 7 Media Center program guide was not updated for some time. After trying all kinds of things for a couple of hours I found your answer. Tried it and it is the solution for me. The program guide started to fill-up immediately.

My TV-tuner is a Hauppage WINTV HVR-1700, computer is an Acer Aspire M3641 with Windows 7 Home Premium NL 64 bit.

Thanks for your post!

Theo van de Ven
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 10:48 PM
  • I recently had this same problem on my Windows 7 64bit computer.  I fixed automatic downloading by doing the following after the suggestions did not work for me.  This method clears most of your settings so make sure you document what tv shows you have scheduled to record.  All of your existing recordings will NOT be deleted.

1. Closed Media Center.

2. Went to Control Panel / Programs and Features / Turn Windows features on and Off.

3. Unchecked Windows Media Center under Media Features and rebooted when prompted.

4. Removed all files from c:\programdata\microsoft\ehome.

5. Tried to remove as many files as I was allowed from c:\windows\ehome.

6. Went back to Control Panel / Programs and Features / Turn Windows features on and Off.

7. Checked Windows Media Center.

8. Everything started to work again.

• Proposed as answer by chriv Tuesday, July 31, 2012 7:34 PM
    Friday, December 30, 2011 2:20 PM
  • I recently had this same problem on my Windows 7 64bit computer.  I fixed automatic downloading by doing the following after the suggestions did not work for me.  This method clears most of your settings so make sure you document what tv shows you have scheduled to record.  All of your existing recordings will NOT be deleted.

1. Closed Media Center.

2. Went to Control Panel / Programs and Features / Turn Windows features on and Off.

3. Unchecked Windows Media Center under Media Features and rebooted when prompted.

6. Went back to Control Panel / Programs and Features / Turn Windows features on and Off.

THANKS a LOT ! ! 

This fixed it ! Now the guide updates regularly and everything works fine. I followed this exact steps, nothing more.

Thursday, March 29, 2012 8:11 PM

1. Closed Media Center.

I had the same issue, but went through less steps to fix it:

1. Closed Media Center.

2. Went to Computer Management, then to services, and stopped all services having to do with Windows Media Center.

3. Removed all files from C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\ehome.

4. Started Windows Media Center

5. Setup Live TV from scratch, and everything worked!

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 7:36 PM
  • this do not work for me, and I even delete files from mcegg2-0 that too did not work!! Now I can not watch live tv as well as getting my tv guide to update any suggestions
    Thursday, January 31, 2013 9:57 PM
  • when did this stop working? did you make any changes/install any updates or
    programs? if you tried control, add/remove and deleted the database and nothing
    worked, try a system restore to a time when things were working, and if that
    does not work, try creating a new user with administrative privileges and see if
    you resolve the problem. if not, go into event viewer and copy and paste the
    text of the error messages into a reply. You probably should start a NEW thread
    with this information. I saw your other post. Please keep your posts in a single
    thread, at least.

On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 21:57:46 +0000, Richard5912 wrote:

>this do not work for me, and I even delete files from mcegg2-0 that too did not work!! Now I can not watch live tv as well as getting my tv guide to update any suggestions

Barb Bowman

http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

Friday, February 01, 2013 11:19 AM
  • Why even bother with CMD?  Just use "run" (Win Key + R) and copy, paste "C:\Windows\ehome\mcupdate.exe -manual -nogc -p"

It worked for me.  I personally like using keyboard commands so a simple Win Key + R, then Ctrl + V is just about as quick and efficient as it gets.

Saturday, August 23, 2014 6:40 PM