none
ATI Radeon Mobility 9700 and Windows 7

Question

• I installed Windows 7 32 bit on my nearly 6 year old ECS Elitegroup G556E laptop. Impressed at the performance on an old system (res 1400x1020), i wanted to see how it dealt with Aero. So I opened device manager, right-clicked the display devices and then "update driver" for my graphics card (Mobility Radeon 128mb). I then chose to let windows search the internet for this card. It found a driver called Mobility Radeon 9700/9600, and installed it. "Great, that was easy enough" I thought. Time for a restart. Problem was, after the windows logo and "windows loading/starting" screen, the display went black, but I could hear the windows sounds, so it seemed like windows 7 loaded, just without me seeing it. I searched the forums for solutions to this problem, and most people seemed to fix this by hitting F8 after reboot and chosing to load windows i VGA-mode (640x). This did not work for me, however i managed to get windows running in safe mode. No problems running safe-mode in 1400x res either. So, I thought the problem was the driver, and sure enough, removing the device from device manager helped and Windows 7 once again started in normal mode with a generic VGA driver.

So my conclusion to this is that the driver for my ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 is still not optimized for Windows 7.

My question is: does anyone know where I can find a driver for this card that actually works?
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 4:27 PM

Answers

• The question of driver availability for video chipsets/adapters should be directed to the video chipset/adapter manufacturer -- in this case ATI (AMD).

It's not unlikely at all that the driver has not been updated for Win7, as Win7 uses a newer version of the WDDM (v1.1) standard, Vista used WDDM v1.0; however Vista-compliant drivers should install and work, albeit at reduced performance as a result of not taking advantage of the newer WDDM v1.1 capabilities.

The key question here is whether the drivers you auto-detected are, in fact, WDDM-compliant (Vista) drivers, or if the drivers were misidentified in the detection process. My recommendation would be to directly search the ATI website for the latest WDDM drivers for the specific model of Mobility Radeon you have installed.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP(x2), MCTS(x5), MCP(x7), MCBMSP
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)
    Friday, February 06, 2009 5:49 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• The question of driver availability for video chipsets/adapters should be directed to the video chipset/adapter manufacturer -- in this case ATI (AMD).

It's not unlikely at all that the driver has not been updated for Win7, as Win7 uses a newer version of the WDDM (v1.1) standard, Vista used WDDM v1.0; however Vista-compliant drivers should install and work, albeit at reduced performance as a result of not taking advantage of the newer WDDM v1.1 capabilities.

The key question here is whether the drivers you auto-detected are, in fact, WDDM-compliant (Vista) drivers, or if the drivers were misidentified in the detection process. My recommendation would be to directly search the ATI website for the latest WDDM drivers for the specific model of Mobility Radeon you have installed.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP(x2), MCTS(x5), MCP(x7), MCBMSP
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)
    Friday, February 06, 2009 5:49 PM
    Answerer
  • ATI/AMD have a great resourse for identifying the chipset drivers, but as for 9700 MOBILITY chipset, they only supported it in XP.
    (http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/737-26978WindowsVistaDriversforMobilityRadeonProducts.aspx) this link explains that if you want Vista drivers, you should go to the manufacturer (fat finger that is). Obviously they do not support 9700 chipset in Windows 7.
    Regards,

Ivan

Friday, May 22, 2009 5:46 PM
  • Strange reports. I have the same Mobility Radeon 9700, and Win7 installed the driver (8.561) automatically during its first setup. This driver, btw, was only hosted a short time (as beta) on the ATI/AMD website and seems to have dissapeared there. In any case, it can be found at catalog.update.microsoft.com searching "ATI Radeon Mobility 9700".

@mysh73: As I see from your other post, you have a more specific compatibility problem (motherboard chipset vs. ATI driver?). The 8.561 driver works perfectly within my old system, only CCC is missing.

Mob. AMD64 3000+, 1 G RAM, Mob. ATIRadeon9700, 20x DVDRW, C:XPSP3 (55G),D:WIN7 (25G),F:DATA (250G)
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 8:33 AM
  • Strange reports. I have the same Mobility Radeon 9700, and Win7 installed the driver (8.561) automatically during its first setup. This driver, btw, was only hosted a short time (as beta) on the ATI/AMD website and seems to have dissapeared there. In any case, it can be found at catalog.update.microsoft.com searching "ATI Radeon Mobility 9700".

@ Sanmartin: From catalog.update.microsoft.com it is possible to download a *.cab file. How could it be installed?
    I have tried several version of catalyst drivers but I can't make my mobility radeon 9700 work properly on Windows 7... Do someone have some suggestions?
    Thank you.
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 4:01 PM
  • antos -

i had to download the file a second time (after the 1st, automatic installation) because I experimented with other driver versions, mainly because I wanted access to CCC, experiments that caused only BSOD's. The file was beta_w7-32_8-56-1-081203a-72489.exe, no *.cab (contained *cabs, yes, but the self-extracting installer extracted them right away), and it works absolutely fine. -
    Just to check it, I looked right now at the update site, and you're right. Not only they have changed the download dialogue and the download method, but indeed, the file I downloaded now has a complete different name than my earlier one and is a *.cab instead of an *.exe. I don't know what that means. You may have to install it manually, pointing Windows to the folder where you downloaded it, but again, that's something new I never have seen before.
    Mob. AMD64 3000+, 1 G RAM, Mob. ATIRadeon9700, 20x DVDRW, C:XPSP3 (55G),D:WIN7 (25G),F:DATA (250G)
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 7:16 PM
  • antos -

now I've checked the contents of the *.cab and compared it with my installed files, no difference. They are identical, no newer version. And I seem to remember that MS announced something of testing a new method of update / downloading.
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 7:24 PM
  • Thank you Sanmartin for your reply!
    Maybe this is the same file that windows update installs. In fact, windows update adverted me of a new driver for my mobility radeon 9700. When I've read that, for a while I was happy to have found a solution...but after the update was installed and the pc restarted, I've realized that nothing was changed!! If I check in "device manager" i can find my "ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9600/9700 Series" recognised but in the "device status" there is wrote "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)".
    I can't use my monitor optimal resolution (1280x800) but only the 1024x768... Unnecessary to say that it's a crappy resolution!! My video card isn't still working.... :(

If someone has an idea please help me!! :D

Thanks to all in advance.

P.S.
    Sorry for my english.
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 5:48 PM
  • Hmm... "Code 43" normally means that Windows refused installing the driver because of a expected system crash (by drivers that behave in a wrong way). If you would force the install ignoring this message (I hope you know how to do that), you will either get a BSOD or a working card. Difficult to say from here. Did you check there are no conflicts with other devices? Did you check the "event reports" in Computer Administration (management console)? The only thing I can say at this stage is: When WinUpdate finds a driver for your card, if it is recognized right in Device Manager (with the proper name) and THEN found incompatible with your system, then something is obviously going wrong. How can a "compatible" card be "incompatible"?
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 8:35 PM
  • When WinUpdate finds a driver for your card, if it is recognized right in Device Manager (with the proper name) and THEN found incompatible with your system, then something is obviously going wrong. How can a "compatible" card be "incompatible"?

- Good question!!

If you would force the install ignoring this message (I hope you know how to do that), you will either get a BSOD or a working card

- The problem is that Windows Update itself chooses this driver and then installs it, I don't have to force anything. Once installed in the device manager it shows an error (code 43 precisely) and in the windows update installation history it shows this driver as succefully installed. The driver's version is the 8.561 as you previously wrote.

The major problem now is if I have to wait for a new driver from windows update, or trying with other driver versions (I've already tried severals)....or coming back to win xp...or changing my laptop definitively...!!! :D :D

Thank you.

Monday, June 01, 2009 12:04 PM
  • Hi again -

no new real help about your problem. Just to correct you in one point: That Windows installed the driver, does not mean that it uses it. And from what you describe, it seems that the driver has an incompatibility with other hardware components, not necessarily with the OS itself. If this weren't the case, how could it work in safe mode (less drivers loaded) and not in normal mode? Or think of a real driver/OS-incompatibility, that would give you a standard VGA display when starting Windows and not a black screen. The black screen is a sign that the ATI driver IS loaded but doesn't its job right. In this state, the system cannot load a standard driver instead (= not two drivers for the same device at the same time) and prefers to show no display at all.
    Hope this helps to track down the causes and wasn't too confusing...
    Monday, June 01, 2009 12:46 PM
  • Thank you Sanmartin, your souggestion wasn't confusing... I think Windows doesn't load the driver. As you wrote, the driver is installed but windows doesn't use it and gives me a standard VGA display.
    Tuesday, June 02, 2009 10:23 AM
  • Somewhere i've read that my problem colud be related with the ATI AGP GART driver. The problem is where I can find this driver for windows 7 or vista (mobility radeon 9700 graphic card has the same problem with vista) ?!?!?
    Tuesday, June 02, 2009 9:28 PM
  • I've solved my problem in a very (and unespected) way: All I had to do was upgrading my NVIDIA nForce3 AGP Host to PCI Bridge driver.
    Now my video card works properly and I can also use Aero on Windows 7.
    Hope this could aid someone other with my same problem.
    Thank you again.
    Thursday, June 04, 2009 5:12 PM
  • It seems that this card does not support games (even old ones, which run under XP) on Windows 7, because I could not run any game. Is there a light at the end of the tunnel? :-) I'm greatly in doubt
    Tuesday, July 07, 2009 11:04 AM
  • @harakternik:
    If we are speaking about the Radeon Mobility 9700, that's not true. On my system it runs all games it can run by design (it cannot run some newer games like Fallout3 because the game developers decided to not provide compatibility with 2.0-shaders, it can run newer games that require more than 128 MB VRAM - but slooowly, it runs nearly all older games - some are simply incompatible with Windows 7). I suppose you use the wrong drivers.
    Mobile AMD64 3000+, VIA Apollo K8T800 chipset, 1 G RAM, ATIRadeonMobility 9700, 20x DVDRW, C:XPSP3 (55G),D:WIN7 (25G),F:DATA (250G)
    Tuesday, July 07, 2009 11:37 AM
  • I've got notebook Samsung P28 with ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 64MB. And I couldn't run any game on Windows 7. That's the way it is...
    Tuesday, July 07, 2009 2:15 PM
  • check  MICROSOFT UPDATE CATALOG

download

Note:
    Version 8.56.1.0.0 - 10.3MB (is for x86 or 32-bit)
    Version 8.56.1.0.0 - 20.5MB (is for x64 or 64-bit)

You will get ATI Technologies Inc. - Display - ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9600-9700 Series folder on your desktop and install

Win 7 aero solved

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 2:06 AM
  • SOLVED!

Download original WGA drivers for Windows XP  and do it manually. 

Work on win 7 32bit ;-)
    • Edited by zzzipp Sunday, December 15, 2013 8:29 PM
    Sunday, December 15, 2013 8:28 PM