none
Search bar in start menu gone, how to get it back?

Question

• I wondering how one can get back the search bar in the start menu?
    It was gone after a reboot, a setting that I did by mistake perhaps? ^^;
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 10:02 PM

Answers

• When I looked at "Turn Windows Features On of Off" I saw the fault, somehow I had unchecked it when I unchecked others that I didn't want.
    Search works now again as it should, thank you for all your help. :)

Oh and Ronnie, I have jumped back to the 7000 build due to too many things didn't work for me in the later builds.
    Waiting for the official RC1 public release, it works better if one can get support when something ain't working. ^^ 

• Proposed as answer by Chitbill Saturday, April 18, 2009 2:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Wednesday, April 22, 2009 7:31 AM
    Friday, April 17, 2009 10:46 PM
  • Hi Gascone

Which build of Windows 7 are you using?

The reason that I ask is in the following threads you mentioned you had installed Build 7048?

Gsm 6.10 codec missing?

Add Device function stops responding

We only support the Official Build 7000 on these forums.

If you are using a later build, then this thread is a perfect example of why we cannot support multiple builds.

These leaked builds are not meant to be used for general testing since they may contain special debugging code that could result in some very unexpected behavior. These leaked builds could also contain malicious code or other changes that were done by the person(s) who leaked the build before they posted it on a Torrent site.

Please see the following thread for a more complete description of the leaked builds.

Windows 7 Unauthorized Versions

Since everyone here is using a different build, what we are seeing may not be the same thing that we are seeing? 

I am not trying to condemn you for using a leaked build, you are free to do whatever you wish. I am just trying to keep these forums viable as a support tool for Microsoft customers for helping to test Windows 7.

Let us know.

Regards,

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Forum Moderator
    Friday, April 17, 2009 9:34 PM

All replies

• You might try the following:

1.) open up a copy of Windows Explorer
    2.) Press the ALT key - this should bring up the menu.
    3.) Click on Tools | Folder Options
    4.) You should see 3 tabs. Click the Restore Defaults button on the Search tab and the View Tab.
    5.) Click OK to close.
    6.) Close Windows Explorer.
    7.) Reopen Win Explorer.

Thursday, April 16, 2009 11:26 AM
  • I only see 2 tabs, General and View and only restore is under view but that will only restore windows explorer?

It's in the windows start menu I miss the search bar, I often use it to start programs.

Thursday, April 16, 2009 5:19 PM
  • Hmmm..  Only two tabs, you say... Sounds like you managed to somehow killed off Search entirely.

If the 3rd tab is missing (the Search tab), then it sounds like it's been completely disabled. The first thing to check would be in Services.

1.) Open the Control Panel, Click All Control Panel Items (if needed) and open Adminstrative Tools.
    2.) Click on Services
    3.) look for Windows Search - make sure the service is there and Started.,
    4.) If it isn't try starting the service.

If the service doesn't want to start, make not of any error message and please post the results.

Thursday, April 16, 2009 7:09 PM
  • We are getting closer to the problem atleast.

There is no windows search service to be found under services at all.
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 10:04 PM
  • Interesting... I don't suppose you can remember exactly what it was you were doing that may have caused the search feature to vanish?

No matter if you can't. Let's look at the Reliability Monitor. There may be a record of it crashing in there.

1.) Open the Control Panel
    2.) Open All Control Panel Items
    3.) Click on Action Center
    4.) Open the Maintenence drop down to expand it.
    5.) click on View System History

Now look for any red X's in the Application failures or Windows Failures and see if any of them have anything to do with Search and let us know what, if anything you find.

Friday, April 17, 2009 4:32 AM
  • The only red x's I got in the application failures is the latest Opera Alpha which crashes ones or twice a day, other than that zero x's.

And tried the other threads that Robinson linked but it seems I don't even that the files that one is suppose to have in the folder.

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Config

And the files are no where to be found in C:\Windows\winsxs\ in order to copy them to the config folder.

The only thing I have done with the search service file that I know is disabled it under services.msc but it usually is there when it is disabled in order to for one to start it again.
    But it is totally gone due to some reason which I don't know of. =/
    Friday, April 17, 2009 7:07 PM
  • Ok.. So it seems something completely obliterated Search. Not good.

The only simple solution I can think of for this would be to do an "in place upgrade" - that is, you insert the DVD into the drive, boot from it and when presented with doing a clean install or an upgrade, you choose the upgrade path and you install on top of your existing Windows 7 installation. This will preserve your existing programs and data files, but it will refresh the OS with a "virgin" copy. You won't need to reinstall anything else though you will likely need to do a Windows Update to get the latest patches and such. You may also need to go through the activation process again.

At any rate, it should restore the Search facility into Windows 7.
    Friday, April 17, 2009 7:30 PM
  • Login as "administrator" and check the search service  in services.msc if you find it just enable.

Did you try system restore to restore your system to one day earlier than the day you made changes?

Friday, April 17, 2009 8:46 PM
  • Hi Gascone

Which build of Windows 7 are you using?

The reason that I ask is in the following threads you mentioned you had installed Build 7048?

Gsm 6.10 codec missing?

Add Device function stops responding

We only support the Official Build 7000 on these forums.

If you are using a later build, then this thread is a perfect example of why we cannot support multiple builds.

These leaked builds are not meant to be used for general testing since they may contain special debugging code that could result in some very unexpected behavior. These leaked builds could also contain malicious code or other changes that were done by the person(s) who leaked the build before they posted it on a Torrent site.

Please see the following thread for a more complete description of the leaked builds.

Windows 7 Unauthorized Versions

Since everyone here is using a different build, what we are seeing may not be the same thing that we are seeing? 

I am not trying to condemn you for using a leaked build, you are free to do whatever you wish. I am just trying to keep these forums viable as a support tool for Microsoft customers for helping to test Windows 7.

Let us know.

Regards,

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Forum Moderator
    Friday, April 17, 2009 9:34 PM
  • I'd suggest looking at "Turn Windows Features On or Off" in Windows Update and seeing if Windows Search is on. You'll need to read the ToolTip description, "Indexing Service" is the indexer from previous versions of Windows and should be left off, the other one is the one you want, "Windows Desktop Search", I believe.

Also check the Event Viewer under "Event Viewer (local) \ Windows Logs \ Applications", Search should appear here. Look for yellow triangles and red circles.

1.) open up a copy of Windows Explorer
    2.) Press the ALT key - this should bring up the menu.
    3.) Click on Tools | Folder Options

Organize > Folder and Search Options would be simpler. :)

Login as "administrator" and check the search service  in services.msc if you find it just enable.

There is no need to log in as "administrator" or even enable it. :( "Run as Admin" should work just fine and even without that a Standard User can at least open and view the msc just fine.
    Friday, April 17, 2009 10:33 PM
  • When I looked at "Turn Windows Features On of Off" I saw the fault, somehow I had unchecked it when I unchecked others that I didn't want.

Oh and Ronnie, I have jumped back to the 7000 build due to too many things didn't work for me in the later builds.
    Waiting for the official RC1 public release, it works better if one can get support when something ain't working. ^^ 

• Proposed as answer by Chitbill Saturday, April 18, 2009 2:10 AM
    Friday, April 17, 2009 10:46 PM

Hi Gascone

Which specific feature did you turn on there?

OK, no problem. I'm just trying to make sure we prevent problems by getting the builds mixed up and waste other users time.

Thanks,

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Forum Moderator
    Friday, April 17, 2009 11:44 PM
  • Hi,

Try to look at your global policy setting ( windows\system32\gpedit.msc)
    at User Configuration > Administrative Templates > All Setting > Remove Search Link at Start Menu
    make sure it's not "enables"

Saturday, April 18, 2009 8:27 AM
  • I am not sure about that but there is no option in windows 7 to "remove" the search programs and files box from the start menu. Ronnie will inform us more about. thanx in advance
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 9:05 AM
  • Hi M22472

There doesn't appear to be any settings or options in Group Policy or Turn Windows Features On or Off that affect the Start Menu or Windows Explorer search boxes.

From what I can find these options weren't available until Build 7022 or 7048.

@NovaLink

The setting you mention is a legacy left over from previous versions of Windows that had an option to place a Search Link on the right side of the Start Menu. There are 3 'Remove Search' settings in GP on Windows 7/7000. The only one that works for 7000 is the 'Remove Search Everywhere link' which only removes the 'See more results and 'Search Everywhere' link on the Start Menu search window after you perform a search.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7 Beta

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Saturday, April 18, 2009 10:38 AM
  • Hi Ronnie,

You are right. in other builds than 7000, it is possiable to turn this feature off the (search programs and files box ). the feature called windows search.

Thanks

Saturday, April 18, 2009 1:18 PM
  • Repeatable with build 7100 (granted).

After restart the start menu search area is collapsed, explorer folder search boxes and optino search tab are missing, etc.

Edit: Suprisingly hard to pin down, cropped up after installing Expression last time though. Done looking for now.
    • Edited by Hypewise Wednesday, April 29, 2009 9:24 PM
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 2:10 PM
  • Hi Ronnie, 

I thought it was final build i received from one of my colleagues!

i have now personally downloaded final build from technet and will install this instead.

Finally, there was mention that even though upgrade seems to work well, if is best to install a clean new version. do you agree?

thanks very much for your help. 
    Friday, May 01, 2009 10:46 AM
  • sjprice -

The general rule of thumb on ANY "upgrade" of a Microsoft OS is always do a clean install.

By doing a clean install, you don't carry over any registry issues and other flotsam and jetsam left over from stuff you've uninstalled. You get a clean copy of Windows without any "bit rot" or other phenomena that can cause your machine's performance to suffer.

There's also the potential for issues popping up as mentioned in the E7 blog...

And if that isn't quite enough, this post here might be a good reason to seriously consider doing a fresh install. Good luck...

Friday, May 01, 2009 11:11 AM
  • preeti 

my start menu search bar have problem i cant search anything :(

Monday, December 10, 2012 12:41 AM
  • any one tell me how to correct this ?

Monday, December 10, 2012 12:42 AM