none
Libraries not showing up, "restore default libraries" not working, but the libraries are there.

Question

• The title is accurate, if a little confusing. Here's what's up:

A few days ago my Libraries disappeared. The Libraries folder exists, but there was nothing in there. No Documents, no music--nothing. Right clicking and choosing "restore default libraries" had no effect--not even an error message. Trying to create a new Library works, but when you try to rename "New Library" to "Documents" an error message comes up:

There is already a folder with the same name in this location.

Oddly enough, this behavior happened at the same time that many of my files became set to Hidden. I admit I panicked when everything was apparently gone, but a quick Show Hidden Files solved that. I can navigate to all My Music, My Documents, etc. by exploring to my user folder.

Any ideas? I've seen this topic pop up in many different forums, and the recommended fix is always to right click and select "Restore Default Libraries." As mentioned, this has no effect on my machine.

Thanks for any help,

Mike

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 4:46 AM

Answers

• Hi Mike,

Press WinKey + R to bring the Run dialog. Type this:

cmd /k cd /d "%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries"

Press {ENTER}

Type the command DIR /A in the CMD Prompt and check if the .library-ms files are present.

And type ATTRIB to check the attributes of those files. Copy the output and post here.

Ramesh Srinivasan | The Winhelponline Blog
    Microsoft MVP, Windows Desktop Experience
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 3:54 PM

All replies

• Anyone?
    • Proposed as answer by SBS Admin Wednesday, January 23, 2013 7:01 AM
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 7:42 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Press WinKey + R to bring the Run dialog. Type this:

cmd /k cd /d "%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries"

Press {ENTER}

Type the command DIR /A in the CMD Prompt and check if the .library-ms files are present.

And type ATTRIB to check the attributes of those files. Copy the output and post here.

Thursday, May 26, 2011 3:54 PM
  • I had the same problem.  I changed settings to Show Hidden Files and the libraries all showed up.  I searched for other problems like that and the solution I found was to delete the libraries and then restore default libraries.  Hope this helps.
    Friday, May 27, 2011 2:05 AM
  • ... and the solution to unhide the libraries is to type this command in the Command Prompt window and press {ENTER}

attrib -h "%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries\*.library-ms"

Tuesday, June 07, 2011 9:34 AM
  • Thanks Ramesh. Your solution worked for me.  I've tried other tips, but the folders disappear again after a few days.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will not be the case 

-Cathy

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 11:59 PM
  • I had the same problem! this sorted it right out! thanks a lot!

Monday, June 13, 2011 8:21 AM
  • Hi Ramesh

I have the same problem as the above user and I did what you suggested - here is what came up:  Any suggestion as to what to do now?

Friday, July 01, 2011 3:35 PM
  • Hi Ramesh

I have the same problem as the above user and I did what you suggested - here is what came up:  Any suggestion as to what to do now?

Friday, July 01, 2011 3:40 PM
  • I keep trying to paste a print screen and it isn't working.  It's off though - it says the file isn't found.  I can see my libraries though when I view hidden files but not when I don't.  So frustrated - any suggestions?
    Friday, July 01, 2011 3:44 PM
  • Hi Ramesh

Friday, July 01, 2011 3:44 PM
  • It's easy!

Just right click where the folders are and choose "SHOW ALL FOLDERS",  and will apears!

Regards,

Sylvio

Saturday, July 09, 2011 6:04 PM
  • It's easy!

Just right click where the folders are and choose "SHOW ALL FOLDERS",  and will apears!

Regards,

Sylvio

Saturday, July 09, 2011 6:05 PM
  • Hi Ramesh

I am also experiencing the same problem but the hidden folders trick doesnt resolve the issue.  Can you please kindly have a look at my case.  See attached output below.

Also, opening documents, pictures, videos and music from the start menu bar also doesnt work too.

Many thanks

Saturday, September 17, 2011 11:19 PM
  • hey i have a similar issue you think ye here is what i got you think you can help me?

Thursday, April 12, 2012 11:37 PM
  • I am having the same issue. Here is what I am getting after doing what you said to post here.

C:\Users\Floggin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries>dir/a
     Volume in drive C is OS
     Volume Serial Number is CAC1-2287

Directory of C:\Users\Floggin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries

05/02/2012  07:52 PM    <DIR>          .
    05/02/2012  07:52 PM    <DIR>          ..
    05/02/2012  07:52 PM               274 desktop.ini
    05/02/2012  07:52 PM             1,358 Documents.library-ms
    05/02/2012  07:52 PM             1,343 Music.library-ms
    05/02/2012  07:52 PM             1,350 Pictures.library-ms
    05/02/2012  07:52 PM             1,348 Videos.library-ms
                   5 File(s)          5,673 bytes
                   2 Dir(s)  823,841,964,032 bytes free

C:\Users\Floggin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries>attrib
       SH        C:\Users\Floggin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries\deskto
    p.ini
    A       I    C:\Users\Floggin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries\Docume
    nts.library-ms
    A       I    C:\Users\Floggin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries\Music.
    library-ms
    A       I    C:\Users\Floggin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries\Pictur
    es.library-ms
    A       I    C:\Users\Floggin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries\Videos
    .library-ms

C:\Users\Floggin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries>

Monday, July 09, 2012 5:09 PM
  • Perfect, Ranos131. I run into this more and more these days and will keep those instructions handy, worked a treat!
    Monday, September 17, 2012 4:51 PM
  • I am having the same problem. Here is the output of the command window:

C:\Users\DVP\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries>dir /a
     Volume in drive C is Vasudeva
     Volume Serial Number is 5289-84F3

Directory of C:\Users\DVP\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries

21-Oct-12  09:38 PM    <DIR>          .
    21-Oct-12  09:38 PM    <DIR>          ..
    21-Oct-12  04:22 AM             1,553 2012.library-ms
    21-Oct-12  04:22 AM               274 desktop.ini
    21-Oct-12  04:22 AM             4,184 Documents.library-ms
    21-Oct-12  04:22 AM             1,538 IT Act.library-ms
    21-Oct-12  09:38 PM             2,925 Music.library-ms
    21-Oct-12  04:22 AM             1,672 Pictures.library-ms
    21-Oct-12  04:22 AM             6,916 Videos.library-ms
    21-Oct-12  04:22 AM             2,349 Winman.library-ms
    21-Oct-12  04:22 AM             1,410 ???????????.library-ms
                   9 File(s)         22,821 bytes
                   2 Dir(s)   9,459,183,616 bytes free

C:\Users\DVP\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries>attrib
    A       I    C:\Users\DVP\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries\2012.libra
    ry-ms
       SH        C:\Users\DVP\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries\desktop.in
    i
    A       I    C:\Users\DVP\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries\Documents.
    library-ms
    A       I    C:\Users\DVP\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries\IT Act.lib
    rary-ms
    A       I    C:\Users\DVP\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries\Music.libr
    ary-ms
    A       I    C:\Users\DVP\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries\Pictures.l
    ibrary-ms
    A       I    C:\Users\DVP\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries\Videos.lib
    rary-ms
    A       I    C:\Users\DVP\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries\Winman.lib
    rary-ms
    A       I    C:\Users\DVP\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries\??????????
    ?.library-ms

C:\Users\DVP\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries>attrib -h "%AppData%\Mi
    crosoft\windows\libraries\*.library-ms"

C:\Users\DVP\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries>

Still I am not seeing any of the music in my music app. Kindly help.

Prasad DV

DV Prasad

Sunday, October 21, 2012 5:00 AM
  • I have tried all of the above to no avail :( it did manage to get back my default folders all eccept for my video's folder and now i can not get back any library folders at all, why the hell have microsoft stuffed up and made an un-managable software program, i am so streesed and frustrated beyond beleif, it's as if some smart ass like sheldon on the program big bang theory has made a program that only he knows how to use and then sits back and laughs his ass off while reading streesed people like me going crazy on line, windows 7 has lost over 400 gigs of my music and other files that were the results of literaly years of hard work labeling every folder and every file absolutly perfecty, now thanks to wondows 7 it has all gone, what's with this library crap anyway i have read it's so people can access files and folders with out having to search any where else for them, if i am looking for pictures i would go to my pictures folder? simple, and the only way libraries could work anyway is if every single file was labeled exactly perfect for each library search to work, and if everything has been labaled perfecty you wouldn't have to search for it in the first place, is there anyone out there who can help me get my default library folders back as i hate having to spent the amount of money i have to not even be able to work most of it's so called "ESIER" user software!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! windows 7 is by far the worst operating system i have come across, there was nothing wrong with EP, microsoft is just trying to copy mac.
    • Edited by Microdots Saturday, December 15, 2012 6:22 AM
    Saturday, December 15, 2012 5:50 AM
  • If Ramesh's solution doesn't work for you, carry on in the DOS box and type the following commands:

md Backup
    move *.library-ms Backup

This moves the existing files into a backup folder leaving no .library-ms files in the folder.

Now go to the Libraries folder on the Explorer and right click on it and select 'Restore default libraries' hopefully your library folders will reappear as Windows recreates the Libraries.

I hope that helps someone, it did the trick for my father-in-law's computer.

Steve

Sunday, December 23, 2012 10:34 PM
  • I had the same issue, restore defaults did not work, I simply changed folder options to show hidden files and deleted the desktop.ini file, all is good now!!
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 7:03 AM
  • I bought my lap top form Best Buy but not the extra coverage. My library is gone too. The folders there but nothing in it. I too would love to restore mine.
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 2:44 PM
  • I have tried all of the above to no avail.  I delete everything, including as suggested by SBS Admin and my libraries still come back to MS Folders when I restore them.

This is getting frustrating and would love to restore mine before I upgrade to from Microsoft 7 - 8

Wednesday, December 04, 2013 1:55 AM
  • followed your instructions and here is the output of the command prompt check. please can you interpret it and tell me how to solve this library ms problem for good. thanks.

C:\Users\Pastor Jp\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries>DIR/A
     Volume in drive C has no label.
     Volume Serial Number is 02B1-A867

Directory of C:\Users\Pastor Jp\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries

05/30/2014  09:13 AM    <DIR>          .
    05/30/2014  09:13 AM    <DIR>          ..
    05/30/2014  09:13 AM               274 desktop.ini
    05/30/2014  09:13 AM             1,358 Documents.library-ms
    05/30/2014  09:13 AM             1,343 Music.library-ms
    05/30/2014  09:13 AM             1,350 Pictures.library-ms
    05/30/2014  09:13 AM             1,348 Videos.library-ms
                   5 File(s)          5,673 bytes
                   2 Dir(s)  56,174,092,288 bytes free

C:\Users\Pastor Jp\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries>ATTRIB
       SH        C:\Users\Pastor Jp\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries\desk
    top.ini
    A            C:\Users\Pastor Jp\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries\Docu
    ments.library-ms
    A            C:\Users\Pastor Jp\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries\Musi
    c.library-ms
    A            C:\Users\Pastor Jp\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries\Pict
    ures.library-ms
    A            C:\Users\Pastor Jp\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries\Vide
    os.library-ms

C:\Users\Pastor Jp\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries>

Friday, May 30, 2014 8:53 AM
  • So will anything be deleted if I restore my libraries to default?!?
    Monday, June 30, 2014 6:39 AM