none
Windows 7 Startup Problem - Error code 0x490

Question

• Hey, I recently successfully installed Windows 7 on my laptop that also has Windows Vista. I was playing around with it for a few hours last night, shut off the computer and went to bed. I woke up, started it successfully and played around with it some more. Then, I shut it off again, and, a few hours later, turned it back on and, when I click on Windows 7, I am now receiving an error message telling me I did not install properly and to run a Repair with the install disc.

I did this and it said it found a problem and to "restart immediately" by clicking finished (it does not restart immediately, I have to click finish and then click restart). It also states that if the problem wasn't solved it would run the repair automatically. I restart it, it boots up and does the same thing. I ran the repair again and checked the detailed list of errors. It lists off a bunch of successful tests completed and then at the bottom it says:

"Boot manager generic failure 0x000000e
    Root cause found:
    -----------------------
    Boot manager failed to find OS Loader

Repair action: File Repair
    Result: Failed. Error Code = 0x490
    Time taken : 7099 ms

Repair Action: Boot configuration data store repair
    Result: Failed. Error code = 0x490
    Time Taken: 171ms

Repair action: System Restore
    Result: Completed Successfully..."

And that's it. I was getting the same error message when I had failed to install it correctly, but I fixed it (I think by resetting my BIOS). So, does anyone know how to fix this?

UPDATE:
    When I select windows 7, it gives me instructions (which I followed, they are the steps I mentioned above) and at the bottom it says:

"Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible"

I assume this means that it cannot access my partition for some reason...? If so, why not? Thanks!
    Monday, May 11, 2009 12:46 AM

Answers

• Your boot information is bad.  afaik, you will have to do a startup repair to fix it.

I could not find a MS link for this but I found this  http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/668-system-recovery-options.html  to boot into the recovey options (USE METHOD 2 !!!)

and this  http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/681-startup-repair.html  to do the startup repair which actually looks at things like MBR and the BOOT folder.

As with anything of this type, I strongly recommend backing up anything and everything - create an image of each and every partition.

Hope that helps.

How did this happen?  I rather suspect that something happened, the system rebooted, and stopped at a screen which had something like system repair as a default, the timer went out, it did its thing, and unfortunately incorrectly.  i have lost opsyses that way.

I strongly recommend always setting:
    Control Panel / System / Advanced System Settings / (System Properties) Advanced tab /
    look at "Startup and Recovery" , click settings button - in system failure: uncheck "automatically restart"
    This will enable you to see any errors that are causing a reboot.

Kris
    Monday, May 11, 2009 1:58 AM

All replies

• Your boot information is bad.  afaik, you will have to do a startup repair to fix it.

I could not find a MS link for this but I found this  http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/668-system-recovery-options.html  to boot into the recovey options (USE METHOD 2 !!!)

and this  http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/681-startup-repair.html  to do the startup repair which actually looks at things like MBR and the BOOT folder.

As with anything of this type, I strongly recommend backing up anything and everything - create an image of each and every partition.

Hope that helps.

How did this happen?  I rather suspect that something happened, the system rebooted, and stopped at a screen which had something like system repair as a default, the timer went out, it did its thing, and unfortunately incorrectly.  i have lost opsyses that way.

I strongly recommend always setting:
    Control Panel / System / Advanced System Settings / (System Properties) Advanced tab /
    look at "Startup and Recovery" , click settings button - in system failure: uncheck "automatically restart"
    This will enable you to see any errors that are causing a reboot.

Kris
    Monday, May 11, 2009 1:58 AM
  • I am having the same error 0x490, I have tried the above as well as boot from w7 cd and run repair and it says if I installed a device ie camera to remove it.  Well I did install my Logitech webcam, but it is unplugged and removing the software, I don't know how to if I cant boot up.  Thanks
    Friday, June 24, 2011 4:48 PM
  • I am getting the same problem on my computer. I had a virus on mine, and as I was shutting down (with the "Shutting Down..." screen and the spinny pinwheel thingy), I (out of stupidity) held down the power button for a hard shutdown. I fixed the filesystem with CHKDSK, but I still can't boot. The root cause determined by Startup Repair was "No OS files found", even though when I used a Ubuntu LiveCD and from the Open Additional Drives prompt in "Recover from System Image" or something like that on the Windows Install CD to view my computer, strangely enough, all of the files and folders, even my gaming files that were interrupted halfway by the virus, were still intact. However, I am amused that Startup Repair said that there were no OS files. Even more disturbing is that the Repair Action was "Partition table repair" and it did not complete successfully, despite other 3rd party tools indicating that the partition table is fine. Any other ideas people?
    Friday, November 11, 2011 12:19 AM
  • run the startup repair for Windows 7.  It will likely say that it cannot repair the problem.  Click the Advance Repair option and login as a local administrator.  From there choose the command prompt and enter the following command: C:\bootrec.exe /FixMbr. 

I had the same error code and could not boot into windows or safe mode.  Plus I received the same message about removing a device such as a camera, although I did not have one attached.  The step above corrected my issue and I am now able to boot into windows without issues. 

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 11:05 PM
  • run the startup repair for Windows 7.  It will likely say that it cannot repair the problem.  Click the Advance Repair option and login as a local administrator.  From there choose the command prompt and enter the following command: C:\bootrec.exe /FixMbr. 

I had the same error code and could not boot into windows or safe mode.  Plus I received the same message about removing a device such as a camera, although I did not have one attached.  The step above corrected my issue and I am now able to boot into windows without issues. 

i typed in what u said but it kept saying path not valid, do i have to somehow get rid of the X:system32 crap infront of the C:\ command
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 11:45 AM
  • i'm having a similar problem,

when i restart the laptop (acer aspire 5573WXMi), the startup files seem to get corrupted, if i run chckdsk it repairs it most times, and it runs perfect until i shutdown or restart,

if i use sleep i have no problems,

i've reinstalled the OS and with a few trys it runs properly untill i restart, the corrupted files seem to be different each time i restart according to chckdsk,

i'm thinking its a hardware problem that doesnt save the config details properly.

also it say system files on drive E: are faulty and can't repair, but thats my dvd drive.

Friday, January 13, 2012 4:47 AM
  • This "fix" did not work for me. 

In any case, you need to get to c:\ instead of C:\windows\system32 or something like that.  That's a DOS command - type CD \ and hit Enter.  You should now see C:\

Bardi

Monday, February 20, 2012 8:10 PM
  • I managed to fix this problem...i tried all sorts of stuff like using the repair cd and installation cd, entering command prompts such as fixmbr, fixboot and sfc/scannow...none of that worked...i went in to my BIOS (only do if you are confident in doing so) and my IDE configuration was incorrect, it was set to AHCI when it should have been set to IDE, that process alone takes 5 mins max. so there's 5 hours of my life i wont get back!
    • Proposed as answer by Parvesh_s Wednesday, April 25, 2012 5:19 PM
    Wednesday, April 25, 2012 5:11 PM
  • okay.. so ive been getting some blue screens and pc freezes the entire week, ran a chkdisk.. nothing.. and last night i. ran a memtest to check my ram.. nothing.. i go to my 2nd wife this morning (my pc) and it boots into a startup repair.. so im like.. okay.. fix it then...

it cant...

i get this

session details
    ----
    system disk = \device\harddisk0
    windows directory = d:\windows (which is wierd because my windows is on c:)
    autochk run = 0
    number of root causes = 1
    skip
    skip
    skip

root cause found:
    -----
    boot manager failed to find os loader.

repair action: file repair
    result: failed. error code - 0x5
    time taken = 2886 ms

repair action: boot configuration data store repair
    result: failed. error code = 0x490
    time taken = 46ms

tried rebooting with the cd and.. go into repair, and it gives me startup repair again.. okay.. same thing.... please help me, im one of those people who doesnt react well when he losses his data.. thank you

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 9:20 PM
  • Sometimes, the built in repair tool doesn't work. You'll have to go into the Command Prompt and work it out. As for the weird Windows directory, I'm not sure whats up with that, but for now, lets try to get into the MBR and fix that, since that appears to be the issue here (as the OS loader was not found/could not be found). With the repair CD inserted, from the list of recovery tools, select Command Prompt, and enter the following:

BootRec.exe /fixmbr

If that doesn't work, you can substitute that command for the following list (i.e. run the following commands if /fixmbr did not work):

BootRec.exe /FixBoot  Writes a boot sector onto the system partition to start Windows

BootRec.exe /ScanOs  Scans all disks for Windows installations and displays them to you. 

BootRec.exe /RebuildBcd  Scans all disks for Windows installations and prompts you to pick the ones you want to add to the BCD.

After that, restart the computer and boot from the hard drive. Hopefully, that's the end of the issue.

If you found that a bit hard to follow, there's a graphical step-by-step tutorial at http://www.winvistatips.com/fix-mbr-t116.html.

Good luck!

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 11:12 PM
  • Thank you Parvesh_s very very much!! I was struggling against this problem over 20 hours, and eventually fixed it within 10 min after finding your post!!
    Tuesday, July 17, 2012 8:38 AM
  • I did everything you said, but the computer still goes alone to repair the boot. This happened after installing Service Pack 1. What can I do to repair my new computer?
    Wednesday, December 05, 2012 4:56 PM
  • I have a Windows 7 (64) PC which has been operating for 18 months and is a bit bloated but very stable. This morning it stalled on startup which left me no option but to RESET. PC said I had had a crash and did I want to attempt a normal boot or attempt repair. The repair process offered to roll back which I accepted and after a long time 10-12min I was told the system repair had failed and in the startup log  showed everything normal down to 'a patch is preventing normal operation' and System Integrity Check failed with Error 0x490.

Running C:\bootrec.exe /FixMbr from the command prompt in X: did not work but when I selected C: and typed in bootrec.exe /FixMbr from the C: prompt it ran successfully. Selected RESTART and MY PC IS WORKING AGAIN.

No idea what caused the problem. I did install a Java Update and the latest Firefox update yesterday but no other radicle changes.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 11:36 PM
  • Sometimes, the built in repair tool doesn't work. You'll have to go into the Command Prompt and work it out. As for the weird Windows directory, I'm not sure whats up with that, but for now, lets try to get into the MBR and fix that, since that appears to be the issue here (as the OS loader was not found/could not be found). With the repair CD inserted, from the list of recovery tools, select Command Prompt, and enter the following:

BootRec.exe /fixmbr

If that doesn't work, you can substitute that command for the following list (i.e. run the following commands if /fixmbr did not work):

BootRec.exe /FixBoot  Writes a boot sector onto the system partition to start Windows

BootRec.exe /ScanOs  Scans all disks for Windows installations and displays them to you. 

BootRec.exe /RebuildBcd  Scans all disks for Windows installations and prompts you to pick the ones you want to add to the BCD.

After that, restart the computer and boot from the hard drive. Hopefully, that's the end of the issue.

If you found that a bit hard to follow, there's a graphical step-by-step tutorial at

Good luck!

Thank You SOOOO MUCH alebcay, we just returned from a two week long vacation in Florida, my brother went into the basement to play computer, he turned it on, and he called me down, and I allowed a Startup Repair to run, it error-ed, and told me i had bad boot info.  I followed your instructions, and the computer is doing another Startup Repair, crossing fingers, Ill reply to this with the result, and again, THANK YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH, YOU'RE A LIFESAVER!!!!!!
    Wednesday, April 10, 2013 8:25 PM
  • Well done, same comment - won't get these DAYS back, but at least the laptop is working again.
    Sunday, August 25, 2013 1:32 PM
  • You are exactly right. Time after time those settings has screwed me over. It caused me hours of headaches trying to figure out why my computers wouldn't boot after cloning them with Clonezilla. I am to the point where I don't even troubleshoot a PC until after I check the BIOS settings. I know this post is old, but the issues are still current.
    Thursday, June 12, 2014 1:17 AM
  • OMG I could kiss you! this was the solution I needed! Thank you so much!
    Sunday, August 03, 2014 4:47 AM
  • I tried this, all of it and got the msg Cannot find Path Specified. Now what?

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 11:59 AM