none
Resetting TCP/IP Settings in Windows 8

Question

• Hi,

Today, I have tried to reset my TCP/IP settings on Windows 8 using the following command line from the administrator command prompt:

netsh int ip reset C:\resetlog.txt

The command finished with the following errors:

It should also be noted that I have tried to ran this command from the hidden administrator account under Windows 8 which was finished with the same results pointed out with red box as above.

Resetting , failed.
    Access is denied.

Furthermore, there was no log file generated by the command in directory C:\resetlog.txt as specified. (Command line parameter intentionally omitted in screenshot)

So, there's no way I can know if the command was completed or not.

Is there something I should be doing to reset the TCP/IP settings on Windows 8 sucessfully so that I can confirm for myself?

• Edited by Parcxs Friday, June 28, 2013 7:11 PM
    Friday, June 28, 2013 7:03 PM

Answers

• On one of my computers, the default gateway was showing 0.0.0.0 and the real gateway as secondary.  When I used netsh interface ipv4 reset from an administrative command prompt, I received the same error as you.  However, after restarting the computer as the prompt suggested, all worked normally.

Interestingly enough, it seems that MSFT is going to soon deprecate the netsh command in favor of forcing everyone to use Powershell.

Saturday, June 29, 2013 5:19 PM

All replies

• Hi

please try using the commands below
    (reset winsock entries)

netsh winsock reset catalog

(reset winsock entries)

netsh int ip reset reset.log hit

if you still have the  problem ,type this command "ipconfig /all" and put the output here

Best Regards 

I Love God,because he help me to find Technet.

Friday, June 28, 2013 7:29 PM
  • I still didn't have any success with resetting TCP/IP Settings:

IP Config output as requested:

Friday, June 28, 2013 9:32 PM
  • Okay, It seems the command doesn't work. I have tried all the possible I've came across so far.

So, would reinstalling the network adapters help reset the TCP/IP stack? It's just a guess if anyone can guide me or has the information on that would save me a complete windows 8 reinstall.

Saturday, June 29, 2013 2:01 PM
  • On one of my computers, the default gateway was showing 0.0.0.0 and the real gateway as secondary.  When I used netsh interface ipv4 reset from an administrative command prompt, I received the same error as you.  However, after restarting the computer as the prompt suggested, all worked normally.

Interestingly enough, it seems that MSFT is going to soon deprecate the netsh command in favor of forcing everyone to use Powershell.

Saturday, June 29, 2013 5:19 PM
  • I search in internet and found some new info , some antivirus conflict with TC/IP stack such as AVG

For more info I suggest you read this link.

Error when resetting tcp/ip stack

I Love God,because he help me to find Technet.

Saturday, June 29, 2013 8:42 PM
  • If the Command prompt won't help you means then I found the second solution for this . I used a small software and it just resets the settings and system will be restarted. 

Here you can download the software : http://softwarebuzzer.com/2013/09/internet-not-wroking-windows8-os/
    Monday, September 16, 2013 3:04 PM
  • Did you ever get a resolution to this? I tried a bunch of things nothing worked
    Saturday, November 30, 2013 11:06 PM
  • I came across this page today which involves a registry change to make the IP reset work:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-networking/how-do-i-reset-the-tcpip-stack-in-windows8/f270af26-5973-45b6-a6a9-ed8df6bc2118

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 11:56 AM