none
stop: c000021a {Fatal System Error}

Question

• Hi there,

my Toshiba's Windows Vista cracked again ! And this time it looks REALLY serious.

After the weekend, not using my notebook, I turned it on at monday morning and it just don't boot ! I was working just fine until friday !!!

If I disable the auto-restart on error I get the BSOD with stop code c000021a. Specifically this error message:

STOP: C000021a {Fatal System Error}
    The NT Initial Command Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000001 (0x00000000 0x00000000)
    The system has been shut down.

The system has a built-in recovery partition (X: ) wich boots up when something goes wrong in the boot proccess.

I've tried a lot of auto-recovery options and nothing happens. The recovevery system finds no error and just can't do anything, and unfortunately I don't have any installation disks. Toshiba's notebooks come with NO DISKS AT ALL !
      At the recovery tool menu there are a few options related to system recovery. One auto recovevery to an earlier point (obviously there are NO recovery points detected), one from backup disks (That I have NO IDEA on how to create them) and other the needs the TOSHIBA's Recovery Disk.... that I've mentioned that doesn't came with the notebook.

Reading about the error, I tried substituing the "csrss" and "winlogon" files... no success.

I tried runnig chkdsk /r on C:  ... nothing happens either !

Well, thats my problem! I can't run even in Safe Mode (any)... fortunelly I was able to backup my files, because the system has a Command Prompt option in the recovery tools. I've read that it might be cause by a virus or something... but I can't run my AV software from this Command Prompt. Does anyone know about some anti-virus that needs no special installation and runs right on the command line ?

My system is a Toshiba Satellite A215-S4757 running Windows Vista Home Premium
      I have access to another notebook identical to mine ...

Any help will be really appreciated.
      Thanks in advance,

Marcio Jr.
    Tuesday, September 09, 2008 2:50 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Please allow me explain background information regarding the blue screen stop problem.

What is the blue screen stop?

Generally speaking, this should actually be a blue screen stop issue or stop error issue. Windows 2000 and later (including Windows Vista) uses separated user mode and kernel mode memory space. The blue screen stop errors are always caused by kernel portion components, such as a device drivers, backup software or anti-virus services (buggy services).

To be more specific, the system goes to a blue screen because there is some exceptions happened in the kernel (a device drivers, backup software or anti-virus services, etc.), and Windows implements this mechanism: When it detects some errors occur in the kernel, it will kill the box in case some more severe damage happens. Then we get a blue screen or the system reboots (it depends on what the system settings are).

Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Vista act similarly when kernel mode crash problem occurs.

How to troubleshoot the blue screen stop problem?

To solid troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to debug the crashed system dump and analyze the related source code if needed. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. I'd like to recommend that you contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance so that this problem can be resolved efficiently. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Hope it helps.

Thursday, September 11, 2008 7:26 AM

All replies

• Marcio

The Recovery Partition you mentioned is meant to recover the system back to factory condition.

Most of the computer manufacturers will have a special set of keystrokes that must be used to initiate the system recovery process. You need to ask Toshiba how to use this partition. The instructions may also be in the manual that came with the computer.

Let us know what you find.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer or Helpful button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008 12:38 AM
  • Hi,

Please allow me explain background information regarding the blue screen stop problem.

What is the blue screen stop?

Generally speaking, this should actually be a blue screen stop issue or stop error issue. Windows 2000 and later (including Windows Vista) uses separated user mode and kernel mode memory space. The blue screen stop errors are always caused by kernel portion components, such as a device drivers, backup software or anti-virus services (buggy services).

To be more specific, the system goes to a blue screen because there is some exceptions happened in the kernel (a device drivers, backup software or anti-virus services, etc.), and Windows implements this mechanism: When it detects some errors occur in the kernel, it will kill the box in case some more severe damage happens. Then we get a blue screen or the system reboots (it depends on what the system settings are).

Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Vista act similarly when kernel mode crash problem occurs.

How to troubleshoot the blue screen stop problem?

To solid troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to debug the crashed system dump and analyze the related source code if needed. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. I'd like to recommend that you contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance so that this problem can be resolved efficiently. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Hope it helps.

Thursday, September 11, 2008 7:26 AM
  • Hi fellow frustrated guys! My computer background is strong. However this one is getting to me. I am going to start this issue over with what I know. First however I would like to know from the creators where are these codes located for us to see. You took the time to add them and it was a great idea. However everyone says this means that and so on. I would like to be able to look for myself. Below is what I have found.

Upon installation of new hard drives and a clean install of Vista biz 32bit. I start thy computer and install disk one. ..........Loading windows files (Black screen with grey bar) ......... Windows knight rider bar goes back in forth at this screen. The all known loading of windows....... Black screen 3 sec ......BSOD (Blue Screen of Death)... It says the following verbatum ( I know can't spell and if I can don't know it :) ).

STOP:  c000021a {FATAL SYSTEM ERROR}
    The initial session process or system process terminated unexpectedly with a status
    of 0x00000000 (0xc0000001 0x0010034c). The sysem has been shut down.

This is not a virus. This is not personal hardware ie consumer video card or sound or what ever. I took everything out but mobo/drive/power/ram. On the ram took all sticks out and one by one added them the above. Tried different drives none would work the above. Was able to get it up and working with the old drive with OS already on it(one time, next day after this post same thing). This tells us a few things. First not a hardware issue (4 brand new hard drives 2 sata 2 IDE w jumper placement changes. 2 yesterday 2 today). If it was say your Mobo then everytime. Power the same. Memory too. This is software issue. At the motherboard level. I would suggest from my (cussing permited when working on cars and computers)(&*^%^&) shall we say frustrated few days or research and my creation of a whole new vulgar language that it is a Bios issue. I tried all sorts of settings in there. Load optimized. Load fail safe. Cmos. The list goes on. I am betting a update of your bios will fix it.

However I am wrong about lots of thing during the course of the day. So please Microsoft Genie if I am wrong tell me how. Teach me to fish. I have used those disks a few times. I don't see how the disk would work but mutate.     ......If I just knew what c000021a ment.

I will post here when I find the fix. If you do not hear from me I am busy digging a hole to fit my case and smashed up bits of silicon valley! 

UPDATE
    Flash of Bios did not fix it so I was wrong on that front. Should of known since it does Bomb out in loading windows.
    Tried different cd drives this also did not help.

My next steps tonight when I get home is to Wipe the Drives (they are new but have WD junk on them standard). I will use a Disk wipe utility.
    Will load Windows xp on disk drives then will upgrade to Vista and see if that works.

Corruption somewhere - Either on my install disk or a driver of some sort. The good news is I have created my first Bootable thumb drive for the bios flash. Worked like a charm. Never needed to do so before. My Bios did need updating anyway.

I feel I will stumble onto the fix before a reply to this thread with the answers. We all know as soon as I fix it and log on here the answer will be posted lol. I will edit this post with what I find in hopes of helping someone else out.

Last this is my setup because I've seen alot of the same do you have this

Lanparty mobo in anyform (Mine is Lanparty DK 48x-tr2s)
    Western Digital HDD's Sata or IDE as I got the same error on both
    Vista

I also have 2x ATI HD 4870 video cards
    and 1000w corsair power supply
    q6600 Quad core
    and a migrane!

I can give a better listing of my gear but really it won't help to fix this issue. I see desktops and laptops getting this issue. Common denomenator is Vista / drivers / power lol / files / and frustration that a code look up is not present or plain english.

AGAIN please let me type my error code any error code in a search box and it tell me what it is saying. Even if it is not a microsoft error and microsoft has no clue. Then it can say I don't know. We will atleast know that it is not a microsoft error. There should be a link on this website that says ERROR CODES. When you click on it it should have a drop down and say Event Viewer / BSOD / Microsoft Programs  [ search box ].

Thank you. I will try to reply.

Update 2     day - To many

OK so I got xp disk went through the normal steps of install. It was going then I hit this NEW AND INPROVED BSOD at the 3 loading screen !

Check for Viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or their controllers. Check your HDD to make sure it is properly configured and terminated right. Run chkdsk /f and check for HDD Corruption then restart.
    STOP:
    0x0000007b (0xf78d2524, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Steps taken to fix:
    Differnet Video Card ------- Same result
    Disk wipe drives -------- done to 65% was told only needed 5% -------- tried xp disk again same result
    Disk wipe while at work 100% ------- tried xp disk and vista disk same result

Conclusion: Everything on the web I have found hours of reading by the by says its everything but your mother and you need to reinstall os..........
    someone reading this behind me will say hey dummie that 2nd BSOD says its your hard drives. NOPE. 4 different hard drives with the same issue read wall of text above. there is no OS on these disks. ____ there is nothing on them now that I wiped them. I have done everything I can think of and everything the web can think of and my coworkers. hundreds of years of exp. Microsoft doesn't even know what it is. Read the posts they all say different stuff. So.. I give up. It will bother me for some time that there is a fix. I just can't see it. I'm tired. This has almost driven me mad. I ran out of runway. I can't see another troubleshooting tree to go down. Other than what I'm going to do. New Mobo and processor. thats the only thing left I havn't swaped out or tested.

Please If someone has had these errors during a FRESH INSTALL only. If that person had fixed this. Please post it. Please make it a new post . Call it SOLVED and the BSOD Code above. I assure you there isn't a lack of these posts about this one BSOD just no answers. All people say is have to go into cmd this and recovery that.... don't get that far. Seems no one posts about fixing it. Only posters are those who have it and those who think they know what it is (having never fixed it before or seen it). Thank you in advanced.

Liggy

Friday, April 24, 2009 5:48 AM
  • First however I would like to know from the creators where are these codes located for us to see. You took the time to add them and it was a great idea.

Upon installation of new hard drives and a clean install of Vista biz 32bit. I start thy computer and install disk one. ..........Loading windows files (Black screen with grey bar) ......... Windows knight rider bar goes back in forth at this screen. The all known loading of windows....... Black screen 3 sec ......BSOD (Blue Screen of Death)... It says the following verbatum ( I know can't spell and if I can don't know it :) ).

STOP:  c000021a {FATAL SYSTEM ERROR}
    The initial session process or system process terminated unexpectedly with a status
    of 0x00000000 (0xc0000001 0x0010034c). The sysem has been shut down.

This is not a virus. This is not personal hardware ie consumer video card or sound or what ever. I took everything out but mobo/drive/power/ram.

I agree with Liggy that they should post error numbers with definitions somewhere on their website. But do these error codes belong to the BIOS chip Manufacturers (ie. SST, PMC, Winbond, etc), BIOS code writers (ie. Award, AMI, Phoenix, etc), chipset manufacturers (AMD, Intel) or simply Microsoft? That is the big question.

Anyways, I am testing an evaluation motherboard for work when I came across this issue. Just as Liggy described it, the BSOD occurs approximately 3 seconds after the Windows Vista loading bar. Verbatim, indeed.

In a previous configuration(Using Core 2 Duo E6400), the motherboard functioned fine, installing Vista, XP, 2003, 2000, and Linux Fedora properly.

After changing only the CPU to a Pentium 4 531 w/ HTT. I begin to get the BSOD whenever I try to install any Windows OS.
    Seeing as I only changed the CPU, I would presume that it is the cause of the issue. P4 generally runs hotter than C2D so I thought it was the CPU overheating. But overheating would only cause the system to shutdown, not restart, which is the result in my case.

You, Liggy, only mentioned using the Quad-Core Q6600. The motherboard I am testing uses a 945G Northbridge, so unfortuantely I cannot test your CPU. But perhaps you can try swapping CPUs for a different result.

Worst comes to worst, it is a simple compatibility issue with this particular Pentium 4 CPU (and yours with the Q6600). Nevertheless, it is my job to solve these issues for my particular mobo, so I will keep at it and post any updates.
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 4:55 PM
  • I had the same exact issues as you.

Here's the solution:
    1. Download both and burn32-bit and 64-bit Windows 7 ISOs.
    2. Start install using the 32 bit dvd. It will go to the windows logo then after that it start expanding files showing 0% complete.
    3. At this the point eject the dvd and put in the 64-bit dvd and used the power button to reboot.
    4. Start the setup process again and let it continue. Windows 7 will get installed after this.
    5. Turn off automatic updates (till windows 7 is more stable).

Weird but it works.
    My full post:
    http://hrish.wordpress.com/2009/10/22/installing-windows-7-on-a-64-bit-toshiba-laptop/
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 2:41 AM
  • I have a HP Pavillion M8120n, and it has same exact issue. Reformated the old harddrive, got the same result. Put in a brand new harddrive, same result. Days have been wasted, and the last resort is to smash it.
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 2:43 AM
  • The fix for this issue, is where the Cable Select Jumper is used (left on by factory), on the Hard Drive and where the BIOS does not support the feature.

Remove the jumper for Cable Select, and depending on the HDD manufacture you may want to try Drive 0 (master) jumper setting.

This fixed a Windows 7 Installation after using Windows 7 install environment to delete all partitions of the existing XP installation, and create a new, and quick formatting NTFS.. The installation hung at 99%, and caused all kinds of Fatal Errors and Blue Screens trying to get it to boot.

Removing the Cable Select Jumper on the HDD immediately fixed the probem.

I tried to revert back to re-installing Windows XP Pro, and encountered the same problem. So that solidified that it was a hardware issue, and not software.

Hope this helps all of you with the issue..
    Friday, February 05, 2010 3:32 AM
  • same issue  here  same bsod  blu screen STOP:  c000021a {FATAL SYSTEM ERROR-0x00000000 (0xc0000001 0x0010038a do a bit different)seem it been issue with windows 7, you check internet  for example like a whyle back got erorr can't find cd/dvd error when a brand new install  after formatting hard drive look into internet for  answer none even microsoft don't seem to have answer what the ect is this never had error like that now a new one this time ERROR C000021A no answer from microsoft or any one again people are stuck no way out some guys buys new hard drive,new cdrom/dvd some change computer,some like me update the bios nothing seem to work now been using this pc for a whyle is't a asus board M3A78-EM -AMD Phenom II X4 920 running at 3.1-LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1H ATA -MAXTOR STM3500630AS [Hard drive] (500.11 GB)-WDC WD3200AAJB-00WGA0 ATA Device [Hard drive] (320.07 GB)Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) (build 7600) my fix was using a different cd from window7 the first 2 cd kept getting this error then trown this cd from windows 7 all is fine like nothing happen what i don't understand is some thing is wronrg like try this cd in my brother laptop want to upgrade his laptop got a can't find cdrom error then now me this  STOP:  c000021a some thing wrong beside our pc or laptop this seem just happen since windows vista and now windows 7 like what is going  on a  install of windows 7 all this error of bad cd/dvd and now ERRROR   STOP:  c000021a SEEMM MAYBE microsoft is trying some thing unknow to all of us just a tought i wanted to share now by the way my pc is running find no bsod  none ,to me was no sofware,no harware or any thing issue but seem the cd/dvd .
    Monday, September 27, 2010 1:19 PM
  • Hi Robinson Zhang!

You seem to be the only person who actually might understand this issue!  Here is a copy of my latest request:  Can you help me?

Hi Folks!, I'm asking this unanswered question/ for help with this unresolved problem again.  

The following error message appears after my computer tries to start up: 

Stop: C 000021a (fatal system error) The windows logon process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x000007b (0x00000000  0x00000000).  The system has been shut down.

The little Microsoft loading screen appears for a while and then the error message pops up.  When this initially happened I tried both the safe mode and last known good configuration and still got the same blue screen error message.

Please note- I have XP-pro OS (and by the way, this is the extent of my computer speak. 

This problem started more than two years ago.  I don't have access to my original disc; I’m in a very rural area- have to drive a good distance for internet access! 

Generally speaking, I didn't download stuff on to my computer; the only exception is the Microsoft automatic updates. 

Can anyone solve this problem?; putting it in terms that a non-computer "linguist" can understand and follow?

• Proposed as answer by Silverflag Sunday, January 16, 2011 3:29 AM
    Saturday, October 30, 2010 7:13 PM
  • If its a winlogon error, I think its a problem with the registry and probably the only way to resolve is to use the recovery CDs.  If the recovery CDs cannot be located, then try the manufactures web site and for about 25.00 they can be purchased. 
    Sunday, January 16, 2011 3:29 AM
  • I was on an ASUS G50v when this happened to me; with Windows 7 Ultimate.  Anyway, all of a sudden, while in the middle of burning a dvd my system shuts off.  My immediate reaction was maybe it was a heat issue.  I figured I needed to clean my fan.  Well, that wasn't it.  I suspect that I was getting a windows update during this process, but I'm not here to talk about the cause, only the solution:

Your bios is corrupt.  You can blame it on an interrupted windows update or any number of things but the solution is simple: flash your bios.

1) download your bios and copy it on a usb flash card (current version or updated version).

2) Press the F2 key and enter your bios screen.  Once there, go to "flash bios" which will bring up a utility (you might be able to press F4 to get their quicker).  Once inside the utility for your bios, browse till you find your usb flash card and press enter on the bios file contained on it.

3) Your computer will ask you if you want to flash with the bios on your usb flashcard, say yes.  DO NOT INTERRUPT THE PROCESS ONCE IT HAS STARTED.

I just want to say do not mess with your bios if you don't know what you are doing; it's really not that complicated, but it can make your life more complicated if you screw it up.  So just don't do it if it seems complicated for you as I'm not responsible for your actions :)..ahaha little disclaimer.

You will find that once that is done, you will be able to access or resinstall your OS. 

I've read alot of comments regarding this problem.  Trust me, it's not your registry, it's not your HD, it's not your power supply or anything but your bios being fragmented. 

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:15 AM
  • Sorry about my english, i have the same problem, only that my computers is a laptop sony with a solid state Hard drive and windows 7, so i m not sure about the problem is the disk.. well i hope you guys can helpme..  

PR

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 4:17 PM
  • Well your "fix" certainly helped me. The original issue documented matched what I was getting on my new laptop (removed Win8 and went to Win7). I was trying to reload the OS when I discovered what I was running wouldn't let me develop a dual boot. But the "fix" -- I powered up with the x32 Win7 install disk in and let it go, it aborted before the Windows splash screen appeared. I powered off and replaced the x32 DVD with the x64 and it went through the installation as it should have. <o:p></o:p>

Something I noticed that might point to the underlying problem -- the hard disk. I reformatted
    the 1TB drive in another Win7 machine of mine connected as USB drive and as a
    SATA internal drive. Neither connection recognized the formatted disk when the
    connection was switched. I had carefully partitioned the drive with a little
    over 300GB in each partition but when I installed it on the laptop and loaded
    the OS it only showed 30+ GB in each partition. (After Win7 was loaded I
    resized the partitions and everything seems good.) <o:p></o:p>

Having been a systems developer for many years it still confounds me that systems people
    don't make their error messages a plain English explanation. But for heaven’s
    sake if you give it an error number post what that means someplace convenient.  <o:p></o:p>

(Yes, I know the whole world doesn't speak English.  :~)
    • Proposed as answer by sepcio Monday, December 16, 2013 8:57 PM
    Wednesday, April 10, 2013 6:07 PM