none
Windows cannot connect to the printer, Operation failed with error 0x00000057 after migrating to Windows 7 via SCCM

General discussion

• Hello,

I am currently working with a IT team that is migrating users in our organization to Windows 7 Enterprise.  We are currently experiencing an issue where after a machine is migrated to Windows 7 and the user attempts to install their printer instance, the user receives the error: Windows cannot connect to the printer, Operation failed with error 0x00000057.  After researching the issue I learned that the error meant that the driver installation was failing.  I was able to workaround the issue by coping a known good respository into C:\windows\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository, removing any failed driver installations in the spooler directory, and adding an exported registry key from a known good installation.  So we are at a point where we have fix but I am trying to understand why this is happening.  My working theory is the registry values as  well as the file repositories associated to the printer are being migrated, but somehow are corrupted during the process.  The people in charge of SCCM are a few States away, so my Manager has asked me to find some information to hand off to the SCCM team.  If anyone has any insight to this or perhaps some links for me to check out I would greatly appriciate it.

Thanks!

Tony S.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 6:59 AM

All replies