none
Windows can't open Add Printer. The local print spooler service is not running. Please restart the spooler or restart the machine

Question

• Help! I am running into this message when I try to add a new printer. The funny thing is, I don't actually need to add a new printer. My existing printer (local) decided to uninstall itself apparently (or something) and when I try to add it again the stupid spooler message pops up. So I guess I have two questions; What the hell happened to my printer? And, I have tried a number of fixes to re-start the spooler and none of them have worked. Every time I find the spooler in the Services menu it shows that it is stopped (even though I have retarted the spooler and computer numerous times and it is set to Automatic). Uh, help?

Stacy

Thursday, April 28, 2011 4:56 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please check if the dependency service lexbce was Disabled.

To check the dependency service please open Services.msc, double click on spooler services, click on the tab "Dependency" and make sure the listed services are all enabled.

If you have installed Lexmark drivers, the dependency service lexbce should be enabled.

If it does not work, delete all related files and registries and reinstall the driver again. This procedure need to involve the third party printer support for more accurate information.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, May 03, 2011 9:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please check if the dependency service lexbce was Disabled.

To check the dependency service please open Services.msc, double click on spooler services, click on the tab "Dependency" and make sure the listed services are all enabled.

If you have installed Lexmark drivers, the dependency service lexbce should be enabled.

If it does not work, delete all related files and registries and reinstall the driver again. This procedure need to involve the third party printer support for more accurate information.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, May 03, 2011 9:09 AM
  • HI Magon,

Printing issue - the printers are displayed but have a X through it and wont print, so i have tried to delete printer, but doesnt work either, then i go and add a printer and is says - windows cant open ADD PRINTER. The local printer spooler service is not running. Please restart the spooler or restart the machine.

I have a laptop windows 7

Now in your answer to the above person you said to go to "services - right click printer spooler - click on the tab "Dependency" and make sure the listed services are all enabled - what should i be seeing here?? all that is listed is under the first box HTTP, under that REMOTE PROCEDURE CALL, then the lower box has just FAX, so what should i be seeing here?

Note - i accidentally installed windows 9, not i have removed it and back to window 8, help please

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 4:04 AM
  • HI Magon,

Printing issue - the printers are displayed but have a X through it and wont print, so i have tried to delete printer, but doesnt work either, then i go and add a printer and is says - windows cant open ADD PRINTER. The local printer spooler service is not running. Please restart the spooler or restart the machine.

I have a laptop windows 7

Now in your answer to the above person you said to go to "services - right click printer spooler - click on the tab "Dependency" and make sure the listed services are all enabled - what should i be seeing here?? all that is listed is under the first box HTTP, under that REMOTE PROCEDURE CALL, then the lower box has just FAX, so what should i be seeing here?

Note - i accidentally installed windows 9, not i have removed it and back to window 8, help please

I have the same problem with the print spooler and the same follow-up question as carmeltremi.  Although  Ihave restarted the print spooler service and made sure it is set to automatic, it switches on its own to stopped.  I am running windows 7 and it has been working just fine for a few months until this problem came up.
    • Proposed as answer by rootyosi Saturday, June 04, 2011 10:59 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by rootyosi Saturday, June 04, 2011 12:46 PM
    Friday, June 03, 2011 6:46 PM
  • Hi all,

The cause could be virious. In order to keep track and focus on one issue, we usually work mainly with the original poster per thread. It is suggested open a new thread to avoid confusion. Sorry for any inconvinience.

Thanks,

Tuesday, June 07, 2011 2:05 AM