none
Getting Internet Streaming to work

Question

• Hi,
      I'm having trouble getting internet streaming to work between my home computer and my work computer. On both home and work computers I link to a windows live ID, and turn on streaming. My work computer is on the net directly (no NAT, etc.), and right away I can see the media on it from my home computer.

The reverse is not true - but that is to be expected: my home computer is behind two layers of NATs. So, using the web interface I punch the holes suggested by the "port forwarding information" link that is on the "Internet Streaming Diagnostic Tool" window (run on my home machine). I've verified that I've got this two - router forwarding working by testing it with Terminal Server: I can use terminal server from work to contact my home machine. So I *think* I've got the basics of the 2NAT forwarding working.

However, work still fails to see the media on my home server. When I run the internet streaming diagnostics from work I get the following errors - in the first bit I see Internet access and Remote host discovery are both listed as "OK". FOr the host, I have "Name resolution" failed. THe name resolution for my work computer is listed as "OK" of course (both from home and from work).

Now, there is one potential wrench here. I had turned this on for the W7 RC, and the computer had the same name. I killed that installation when I installed the final version of W7 without unlinking it from my online ID. So there are now two entries in the list of "Remote Hosts" with the same name. I have no idea how to clean up a computer that no longer exists - but I don't know if this is the problem (on the other hand, my work computer has the same problem, two entries, and it works just fine).

Any debugging help for how I can resolve this failed "name resolution" problem, I would appreciate it!

Cheers,
        Gordon.
    Gordon
    Friday, November 06, 2009 4:20 PM

Answers

• FINALLY GOT IT ALL WORKING - REMOTE STREAMING

Before I begin I should make note that when i first installed Win7 at home and at work, i got streaming to work right away no issues...then i reinstalled win 7 with vmware at home nothing seemed to work no matter what i tried...reinstall, different computers, different NICs and routers, you name it, i tried it!

After a week of fiddling around, a few hours looking through packet capture logs and a few hours with sonicwall tech supoort I finally got it working

Okay here is my setup that is currently working, hopefully it is still working after i finish this post!

Created a new hotmail account

Windows 7 Enterprise Home Network (Publisher) AKA WinA
    - This workstation also has VMWare running on it
    - It has a version of windows ultimate as a guest system - AKA WinGuest
    - No Teredo Enabled
    - Created Link Account
    - NO PORT FORWARDING

Windows 7 Enterprise Work Network (Subscriber) AKA WinB
    - On Work Domain, so you can not stream out - which is fine
    - Used My New Account
    - NO PORT FORWARDING

Nothing seemed to work
    -Went into Diagnostic Tool in WMP 12 - I was able to resolve WinA and WinGuest, but it wouldn't connect

So I set up another stream on another workstation on an outside line AKA WinTest
    - NO PORT FORWARDING

Results

WinA, WinGuest, WinB could all view WinTest libary

WinTest can view WinA, WinGuest libary as well

WinTest can not see WinB library which is to be expected since WinB is on a domain

At this point we know a few things are working as expected

- My home network can broadcast - evident by WinTest receiving the remote stream from both WinA and WinGuest, remember that WinGuest is a VM, so that to me proves that my home network configuration is sound and NAT is working because I did not perform any port forwarding or DMZ

- My work network can subscribe - evident by WinB streaming off WinTest library

At this point I am like WTF

Since I was at work, I tried plugging WinB directly to the internet, no router - Guess what?  WinB can stream off WinA and WinGuest!!!
    Plug WinB back into router and streaming does not work
    Possibe issues - router is somehow blocking WinA and WinGuest address traffic, eventhough i could connect TVersity no problems!
    Looked in logs did not find any issues, all the ports are dynamically linked, forwarded properly through the router

Now I am totally pissed off

I decide to go home and I thought maybe i should try plugging in my computer directly to the modem
    I got a new IP address at this point
    Same results WinB can not stream off of my home network but WinTest is still okay

Now I am really starting to get frustrated

Lucky for me I had one of those moments where I recalled what i did last week which was i actually got streaming to work when i plugged in directly to the modem, and then it stopped working for some reason...

I noticed that the IP address hadn't changed from last week, note this ip address is differnt from the one i get assigned by the isp when i plug in my router ie Modem = 174.x.x.60 and Router = 174.x.x.61
    I plugged my router back in and I got the old ip back which was weird
    Meaning my ISP has somehow linked 2 ip address, one for my modem and one for my modem+router

So i decide to use another router

Plugged it in, went to setup and saw that I got a completely differnt ip in as in 174.x.xx.xx, the third octet is completely different that my previous ip addresses

Lone and behold everything now works!

Findings

Some how MS has created a route between my home computer IP Address and work computer IP Address, that route is cached and linked to a hotmail id, that is why even though you rename your workstation or even reinstall your OS (differnt version for that matter), your old workstation name will still show up in the diagnostic tool along with your new workstation name.  And when your do diagnostic thru WMP 12 it usually resolves all your old names but cannot connect.  In my case with my old hotmail account, I had 6 entries that all got the name resolution resolved

This is what you can try at home...

Create a new hotmail account - remove one of the variables!

Then you need to create a new route between your computers, you can do that through swapping out your router and modem to get a new ip address, if you can not then you have to get a new ip address for at least one side of the stream, note that your ip address has to change. 

At my work (static ip) I swapped out my modem and it made no difference when i plugged WinB into my sonicwall, so MS has somehow cached my work IP + Router mac address as an entry on their servers, that is why when i plugged WinB directly to the new modem it worked without any issues

That said depending on how your initial connection is to the MS Server, that is how it is going to remember you from now till the end of time.  It has created this tunnel so to speak.  I guess that would make sense if it uses teredo to work with NAT so that you can use IPv6 and have your connection work without static port forwarding. 

I would relate this having a house with an address and a set road to access your house, even if you tear down your house, you still have the same address and the same road leading to your house.  In fact it seems like even if you build on your neighbours lot then there is still only one road in and out.  With this streaming technology , not only do you have to build a new house with a new road you have build it in a different zip code!!!

Most Current Setup

After closing down and restating my WinGuest vm, teredo and tunneling is enabled again on WinA, MAGIC!
    Now i able to use teredo on both WinA and WinGuest and everything seems to stream without a hitch.
    Can someone explain this to me?

I hope this makes sense and wish upon the almighty that MS has a chance to read this and verify my findings

That is it folks...
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 6:56 AM

All replies

• Hi Gordon, can you put your computer to DMZ on the first layer of NAT then use port forwarding on the second layer? I'm not quite sure if this will work in this scenario(two layers).
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 7:57 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestion, Sean.

I checked this. I used my portable behind both NAT's, setup internet streaming, and set the port it claimed should be forwarded to forward. And I was able to see the media from the portable (behind both NAT's) from my work computer.

I think the next step I will take is change the name of the computer I can't get to work. It could be there is some sort of conflict as the name shows up twice in the list of computers when I run the diagnostics. I assume the first one is from when I had the W7 RC installed on this computer, and the second one is now that I have the final version installed. I can't find a web interface (or some other method) that will let me delete the old version of this computer from the linked online id...
    Gordon
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 8:45 AM
  • Hi,
      Ok - I tried to change the computer name and I still get the same failure mode. Here is what I did:

1. Turned off internet streaming and removed the link to the online ID
    2. Changed the computer name and rebooted
    3. Created a link to my own live id
    4. Turned on internet streaming
    5. Made sure the holes were done correctly in the NAT table
    6. Started up media player on my work desktop (via remote desktop)
    7. The newly named computer did not show, and when I clicked on "diagnostics" I still see "Name Resolution Failed"

So, to sumarize: I can get this to work for other computers that I have inside my house. I can put the correct holes through the NAT, and I can I can successfully stream media from my work location. However, for this one computer it does not work. I've tested two computers that work (W7 Enterprise, and W7 Home Preium). The one that doesn't work is a W7 Pro installation. All are running the released version of W7 and are fully activated.

At any rate, any debugging help woudl be much appreciated!

And what does "Name Resolution" mean, anyway? When that says "failed" what actually failed?

And is there any way to see what data is stored on with the linked online ID?

Cheers!

Gordon
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 3:19 AM
  • You aren't alone man

I too am having this issue

Let me know how it turns out

Btw did you try to just connect that computer directly to your modem, so no router is used?
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 4:45 AM
  • Just using the modem though, or making your router just an access point without security, might not be the best plan.

Perhaps MS should update the included help text with specific port forwarding instructutions? Like in a media sharing Wizard?

--

I managed to get this to work in reverse but can't get my machines to behave.

Brought my portable to a classmates house and welcomed her to my homegroup. When I got home I could connect to her libraries without any problem. The remote setup uses a Router but I can still access data over the internet. Enabled internet media sharing, created and shared libraries, and linked and allowed the online IDs between all machines.

But when I'm in class or at her place, while I can share everything else from my home machine, Music libraries won't share. :( (claims teredo server connection problem)

Media sharing over the internet, between private networks (not public!) does work.. its still libraries and permissions that are tought to figure out. :(

It is waaaaaay too complicated.

Thursday, November 12, 2009 2:57 PM
  • Hi Izim,
      There are some port forwarding instructions - but they are very well hidden. You can find them by doing the following:

1) Enable internet streaming on the machine you want to serve your media.
    2) From Windows Media Player select "Stream -> Allow internet access to my home media"
    3) From the dialog box that pops up select "Diagnostics"
    4) At the very bottom of the dialog box that pops up there should be a small little link that says "ports" or something like that. Click it - it will tell you exactly what external ports need to be forwarded to your machine.

It may have "just worked" at your friends because Windows will try to automatically configure your router - at least, it claims that it will try that. My routers are pretty old (and I'm behind two of them) so I don't think it was able to do the configuration. :-)

That "Teredo failure thing" I think is a red herring. It is always marked as "failed" on my computers - even when streaming is working. Looking it up on the internet, it sounds like a tunneling protocal that can be used on a IPv6 network to get past a IPv4 router - I think it is almost certian that all of us are running the old version of IPv4 - so I suspect it just doesn't matter for us.

Much more important are the "YES" and "NO" entries below, associated with the machine you care about - the Name Resolution and the Connection entries. If Name Resolution is "YES" and "Connection" is NO, then I'd be willing to bet that you have a port-forwarding problem. If name resolution is "NO" then I have no idea - that is my problem - and I'd love to know what to do to fix it - or even understand what the error means!

Your comment on complexity: the fact that I wrote something about IPv6 is a clear indication this is too complex. The basic problem is how messed up our networks are. Heck - I have two routers. I'm guessing there is little way they could have figured out all the different ways and network configurations they would have had to program around.

There is a very easy way to fix this, actually. They could have had everyone connect to a common site in the sky, and then routed the traffic through that site. Since everyone can see the internet, then this would have "Just Worked". But I can guess why they didn't do that - whomever owned that site (like Microsoft) would now have to pay for the bandwidth of everyone who watched their home video. Which, given Window's popularity, is probably a boat-load of cash.

But what I would really like to see from MS is the following:

1. More details on what the Name Resolution error means (indeed, on what any failure means in the diagnostics).
      2. Perhaps a power-pack for doing debugging could be distributed? So I click on "diagnose" and it starts up with a bunch of tests - that would explicity test port-forwarding, for example, etc. That is what those diagnostic packs are built for, right!?
      3. More information on what information is stored with my linked online-id - and how I can erase it (I've got a few orphaned computers from the RC release of W7 up there).

Of course, YMMV - but using that information I was able to make my setup work for two machines that were sitting at home (that didn't work before). But I have one machine that just, for whatever reason, will not work. And I have no clue why! :-)

I guess for my particular problem the only thing left to do is try linking my account to a totally new online ID and see if that works. I'll try that this weekend.

Cheers,
        Gordon.

Gordon
    Friday, November 13, 2009 1:08 PM
  • FINALLY GOT IT ALL WORKING - REMOTE STREAMING

Before I begin I should make note that when i first installed Win7 at home and at work, i got streaming to work right away no issues...then i reinstalled win 7 with vmware at home nothing seemed to work no matter what i tried...reinstall, different computers, different NICs and routers, you name it, i tried it!

After a week of fiddling around, a few hours looking through packet capture logs and a few hours with sonicwall tech supoort I finally got it working

Okay here is my setup that is currently working, hopefully it is still working after i finish this post!

Created a new hotmail account

Windows 7 Enterprise Home Network (Publisher) AKA WinA
    - This workstation also has VMWare running on it
    - It has a version of windows ultimate as a guest system - AKA WinGuest
    - No Teredo Enabled
    - Created Link Account
    - NO PORT FORWARDING

Windows 7 Enterprise Work Network (Subscriber) AKA WinB
    - On Work Domain, so you can not stream out - which is fine
    - Used My New Account
    - NO PORT FORWARDING

Nothing seemed to work
    -Went into Diagnostic Tool in WMP 12 - I was able to resolve WinA and WinGuest, but it wouldn't connect

So I set up another stream on another workstation on an outside line AKA WinTest
    - NO PORT FORWARDING

Results

WinA, WinGuest, WinB could all view WinTest libary

WinTest can view WinA, WinGuest libary as well

WinTest can not see WinB library which is to be expected since WinB is on a domain

At this point we know a few things are working as expected

- My home network can broadcast - evident by WinTest receiving the remote stream from both WinA and WinGuest, remember that WinGuest is a VM, so that to me proves that my home network configuration is sound and NAT is working because I did not perform any port forwarding or DMZ

- My work network can subscribe - evident by WinB streaming off WinTest library

At this point I am like WTF

Since I was at work, I tried plugging WinB directly to the internet, no router - Guess what?  WinB can stream off WinA and WinGuest!!!
    Plug WinB back into router and streaming does not work
    Possibe issues - router is somehow blocking WinA and WinGuest address traffic, eventhough i could connect TVersity no problems!
    Looked in logs did not find any issues, all the ports are dynamically linked, forwarded properly through the router

Now I am totally pissed off

I decide to go home and I thought maybe i should try plugging in my computer directly to the modem
    I got a new IP address at this point
    Same results WinB can not stream off of my home network but WinTest is still okay

Now I am really starting to get frustrated

Lucky for me I had one of those moments where I recalled what i did last week which was i actually got streaming to work when i plugged in directly to the modem, and then it stopped working for some reason...

I noticed that the IP address hadn't changed from last week, note this ip address is differnt from the one i get assigned by the isp when i plug in my router ie Modem = 174.x.x.60 and Router = 174.x.x.61
    I plugged my router back in and I got the old ip back which was weird
    Meaning my ISP has somehow linked 2 ip address, one for my modem and one for my modem+router

So i decide to use another router

Plugged it in, went to setup and saw that I got a completely differnt ip in as in 174.x.xx.xx, the third octet is completely different that my previous ip addresses

Lone and behold everything now works!

Findings

Some how MS has created a route between my home computer IP Address and work computer IP Address, that route is cached and linked to a hotmail id, that is why even though you rename your workstation or even reinstall your OS (differnt version for that matter), your old workstation name will still show up in the diagnostic tool along with your new workstation name.  And when your do diagnostic thru WMP 12 it usually resolves all your old names but cannot connect.  In my case with my old hotmail account, I had 6 entries that all got the name resolution resolved

This is what you can try at home...

Create a new hotmail account - remove one of the variables!

Then you need to create a new route between your computers, you can do that through swapping out your router and modem to get a new ip address, if you can not then you have to get a new ip address for at least one side of the stream, note that your ip address has to change. 

At my work (static ip) I swapped out my modem and it made no difference when i plugged WinB into my sonicwall, so MS has somehow cached my work IP + Router mac address as an entry on their servers, that is why when i plugged WinB directly to the new modem it worked without any issues

That said depending on how your initial connection is to the MS Server, that is how it is going to remember you from now till the end of time.  It has created this tunnel so to speak.  I guess that would make sense if it uses teredo to work with NAT so that you can use IPv6 and have your connection work without static port forwarding. 

I would relate this having a house with an address and a set road to access your house, even if you tear down your house, you still have the same address and the same road leading to your house.  In fact it seems like even if you build on your neighbours lot then there is still only one road in and out.  With this streaming technology , not only do you have to build a new house with a new road you have build it in a different zip code!!!

Most Current Setup

After closing down and restating my WinGuest vm, teredo and tunneling is enabled again on WinA, MAGIC!
    Now i able to use teredo on both WinA and WinGuest and everything seems to stream without a hitch.
    Can someone explain this to me?

I hope this makes sense and wish upon the almighty that MS has a chance to read this and verify my findings

That is it folks...
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 6:56 AM
  • got mine working too (minus router)

but the only way to fix the music folder was to incorporate the files into the userprofile music folder.

only real trouble now is the most ancient one, since extending media first started.. the files seem to be compressed into very low resolution versions for streaming, making successful media sharing totally moot. I mean it is good to have music and picture sharing so easily through wmplayer, but videos are pointless.
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 4:13 PM
  • got mine working too (minus router)

but the only way to fix the music folder was to incorporate the files into the userprofile music folder.

only real trouble now is the most ancient one, since extending media first started.. the files seem to be compressed into very low resolution versions for streaming, making successful media sharing totally moot. I mean it is good to have music and picture sharing so easily through wmplayer, but videos are pointless.

Is your music folder not updating properly?

If that is the case try this...

Stream -> More Streaming Options...

Under all your devices for each share press Customize...

In the customer media streaming settings  dialog box

Make sure you uncheck "Use Default Settings"

Check "Make all of the media in my library available to this device"

Press OK

Press OK

Restart WMP 12

Let me know how that turns out

This setting also works for Home Group Sharing as well
    Monday, November 16, 2009 6:08 PM
  • No mine was just getting it to recognize music files. It might have been something to do with letting it populate or sharing. But it I didn't change anything. It should have been working before, but was totally ignoring music that wasn't inside my userprofile music folder. Any music there was shared over the internet just fine.

I approached at length with, if you can't make it work according to logic, work with it the way it wants to work.

Now all file types share accross the internet, until this morning. I'm hoping its just because my machine at home got turned off. Can't see my library anymore. :(

exploring wmplayer 12 secure internet sharing
    Monday, November 16, 2009 7:52 PM

• - NO PORT FORWARDING

So, when you say no port forwarding, are you meaning you did not manually setup port forwarding and instead let your UPnP enabled router setup the forwards for you? I'm a little confused by that. You must have some port forwarding going on in order to setup the P2P connection.

Also, to get around VMware did you just disable the VMnets?

I still have the Name Resolution failed for my WMP on my WMS problem, just trying to figure it out.

Thanks
    Monday, November 16, 2009 10:24 PM
  • Ok....

So weirdest thing just happened (or so I thought). I just went to change my DNS server to openDNS and now all the sudden my connection passes all the test....

If I could figure out what exactly just happened I would let you know. My guess is the openDNS server had the right entries for me to pass, and therefore resolved my name.

Streaming content now!

Monday, November 16, 2009 11:15 PM
  • You changed your DNS server on the router end or at the workstation end?
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 6:40 PM

• - NO PORT FORWARDING

So, when you say no port forwarding, are you meaning you did not manually setup port forwarding and instead let your UPnP enabled router setup the forwards for you? I'm a little confused by that. You must have some port forwarding going on in order to setup the P2P connection.

Also, to get around VMware did you just disable the VMnets?

I still have the Name Resolution failed for my WMP on my WMS problem, just trying to figure it out.

Thanks

No port forwarding - I just let the router do all the work
    VMWare - VMNets is not disabled

I to am getting the Name Resolution error again, I guess I will have to switch my router around
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 6:50 PM
  • Okay so here is my sitution now - Since I am never really happy with having things work all the time

I decide to do some experimenting

A couple of days ago

I put my old router back - Nothing worked
    Flash the firmware on the router - VOILA everything works again

Last night I enabled WIFI on my router

This morning all my streaming is has been disabled - I can receive streams but can not stream out

I noticed that my Tunnel Adapter didn't have an ip address anymore

My VM was also messed up

So far I have gotten my VM to stream out again by resetting the tcp/ip stack
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

I haven't run this command on my host system

I will let everyone know how that turns out tonight when i get home in about 8 hours...
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 7:01 PM
  • Just got a chance to remote onto my home computer

I ran the following commands...Run As Administrator command context

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Restarted Machine

Ran ipconfig /alll the tunnel was still disconnected

Then I tried...

netsh interface ipv6 set teredo enterpriseclient

Tunnel Interface was now connected

Went into WMP 12 did a diagnostic

All 3 tests worked

Name Resolution Failed

Waited about 3 minutes

Ran Diagnostic again - Everything passed and streaming is now working again

thanks to
    http://yorickdowne.wordpress.com/tag/teredo/ for the awesome write up on getting Teredo and tunneling to work!
    • Proposed as answer by NiteCourt Wednesday, February 17, 2010 12:56 AM
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 8:11 PM
  • Just got a chance to remote onto my home computer

I ran the following commands...Run As Administrator command context

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Restarted Machine

Ran ipconfig /alll the tunnel was still disconnected

Then I tried...

netsh interface ipv6 set teredo enterpriseclient

Tunnel Interface was now connected

Went into WMP 12 did a diagnostic

All 3 tests worked

Name Resolution Failed

Waited about 3 minutes

Ran Diagnostic again - Everything passed and streaming is now working again

thanks to
    http://yorickdowne.wordpress.com/tag/teredo/ for the awesome write up on getting Teredo and tunneling to work!

This fixed my issue!  Now Working!  Thanks alot!
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 12:57 AM