none
Moved Program Files Folder; Can't Install Virtual PC

Question

• Hi everyone,

I recently installed a SSD in my Windows 7 x64 SP1 Ultimate edition workstation to improve performance and decided to move my Program Files, Program Files (x86), ProgramData, and Users folders to the old C: hard disk to conserve space on the new SSD. I copied everything from the old C: HDD to the new SSD, deleted the folders referenced above on the new SSD, and created junction points on the new SSD to refer to the D: HDD. Everything works fine except for the fact that I can't install some Windows. In particular I am trying to install Windows XP mode Virtual PC and it fails with error 0x80070011. From my research it appears there are hard coded links that look for the physical directories referenced above and it doesn't work with junction points. I've tried the recommended fixes of changing the directories referenced in the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion to point to the D: drive (the HDD) and I tried the powershell script in this article as well. Apparently the installer for KB958559 doesn't create a C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml file and puts all of its files under C:\Windows\winsxs\Temp\PendingRenames instead so that I can't use that powershell script. There is no XML file in the C:\Windows\winsxs\Temp\PendingRenames either.

I'm stuck at this point and don't know what to do to fix this. Resetting everything back to defaults really isn't an option here. While I'm sure deleting the junction points and copying everything back over to the physical C: drive would fix the problem that isn't viable due to disk space concerns. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Saturday, June 02, 2012 5:57 AM

Answers

• Nevermind, I couldn't get package manager to work properly so I just undid what caused the problem in the first place. I moved everything back to my C: drive and the install proceeded without error.
    Friday, June 15, 2012 5:24 AM

All replies