none
Lost activation key.

Question

• Hey guys, I've only JUST got around to installing Windows7 and like so many before I've lost my activation key.

Through reading the forum everyone suggests going to http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/download.aspx while logged into windows live and it will show it to you again. However as Microsoft are no longer doing the trial that site is no longer available.

Is there any other way to retrieve my key?

Thanks.
    Sunday, November 08, 2009 10:25 AM

Answers

• Does this question relate to Windows 7 Release Candidate?

If so, and if you already have Windows 7 RC installed, you can retrieve the product key from the installation by downloading/using a suitable third-party tool, such as Belarc Advisor or Magical Jellybean Keyfinder.

If you have not already installed Windows 7 RC then rest assured that your key was not unique to you, and that only a small number of individual install key codes were used for the entire Windows 7 RC distribution.  Googling windows 7 rc product key will find you numerous websites where the entire list of product keys issued have been reproduced.  Using any of them will work fine.  Unfortunately, Microsoft themselves have not made the list available.  Only 15 product keys were ever issued for the distribution, as mentioned here, and each of them was issued to many thousands of people. 

Sunday, November 08, 2009 8:42 PM
  • As Techwrighter said, if the key is in using on the system, we can use third party tool such as keyfinder to find it out. If not is not input yet, we may not able to get a new key as RC key is stopped in Oct.
    Monday, November 09, 2009 8:52 AM

All replies

• Does this question relate to Windows 7 Release Candidate?

If so, and if you already have Windows 7 RC installed, you can retrieve the product key from the installation by downloading/using a suitable third-party tool, such as Belarc Advisor or Magical Jellybean Keyfinder.

If you have not already installed Windows 7 RC then rest assured that your key was not unique to you, and that only a small number of individual install key codes were used for the entire Windows 7 RC distribution.  Googling windows 7 rc product key will find you numerous websites where the entire list of product keys issued have been reproduced.  Using any of them will work fine.  Unfortunately, Microsoft themselves have not made the list available.  Only 15 product keys were ever issued for the distribution, as mentioned here, and each of them was issued to many thousands of people. 

Sunday, November 08, 2009 8:42 PM
  • As Techwrighter said, if the key is in using on the system, we can use third party tool such as keyfinder to find it out. If not is not input yet, we may not able to get a new key as RC key is stopped in Oct.
    Monday, November 09, 2009 8:52 AM