none
setting a default folder view for all folders in Windows 7

Question

• How do you set up a default folder view of "List" for ALL the folders in Windows 7 including the optical drive?  

Artoo
    Friday, November 06, 2009 8:59 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The "Apply to folders" settings apply the current view setting to all folders that are optimized for the same content as the folder you have open. This setting will not apply to the folders which is not the same type.

According to my test, the Computer view will change to "titles" or "Details" automatically. It should be the by designed feature.

As for the folder view in optical drive and the subfolder, the view setting will apply. If it does not, please check the folder type. According to the following link, you can change the type of file that a folder is optimized for from right-click the folder, click Properties, click the Customize tab, click a file type in the Optimize this folder for list, and then click OK.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Change-folder-options#section_3

Hope it helps.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Friday, November 13, 2009 8:48 AM
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 9:27 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to my test, you can apply view settings to all folders of the same type. Here are the detailed steps:

1. Open a folder and make changes as you like.

2. Press Alt to display the menu bar. Click Tools -> Folder options.

3. Click View tab.

4. Press the "Apply to folders" button.

5. Click Apply and click OK.

For example, I changed the view settings of %userprofile%\Desktop folder and click the "Apply to folders" button. After that, all folders of the same type including the contents in optical drive changed.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Proposed as answer by AmitKB Saturday, July 09, 2011 9:02 AM
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 3:19 AM
  • It doesn't seem to remember these settings for all the folders.   I browse though some folders and go back to "Computer" and the view has changed to "titles" or "Details". 

And the optical drive defaults back to "details" when I enter a subfolder.

Artoo
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 5:40 AM
  • Hi,

The "Apply to folders" settings apply the current view setting to all folders that are optimized for the same content as the folder you have open. This setting will not apply to the folders which is not the same type.

According to my test, the Computer view will change to "titles" or "Details" automatically. It should be the by designed feature.

As for the folder view in optical drive and the subfolder, the view setting will apply. If it does not, please check the folder type. According to the following link, you can change the type of file that a folder is optimized for from right-click the folder, click Properties, click the Customize tab, click a file type in the Optimize this folder for list, and then click OK.

Hope it helps.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Friday, November 13, 2009 8:48 AM
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 9:27 AM
  • It doesn't seem to work. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view.I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view.I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view.I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view.I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view. I want all folders to open in "list view". All folders to open in list view.
    Friday, January 22, 2010 7:08 PM
  • I want to know too.

Is there a way to configure the default view for folders?  XP I had to capture the folder view and inject into default user/ntuser.dat.

There must be a better way in 7 but I see no policy.  Maybe I will have to tell the users to suck it up and like what views come OOB.  But some will complain.. " Oh I like detail view"... " Oh but I like list view...."  

End Users....

gObo

Friday, April 09, 2010 3:52 PM
  • How about Network Files?  My example:

1) Win 7 64 bit & Office 2010 beta

2) I did the: a) set folder/file view to "List" b) Alt, tools, Folder Options, View Aply to Folders

3) I went into Excel... File open... browsed to a network folder containing only Excel workbooks

4) The Detail view NOT the List view came up.

5) I did NOT do anything with "FOLDER TYPE" - Do I have to?

Thanks,

John

• Proposed as answer by derizion Tuesday, April 27, 2010 1:40 PM
    Monday, April 26, 2010 1:07 PM
  • It does not work. It does NOT  NOT   NOT remember this setting.

I am quite sure you did NOT check this thoroughly. It failed to work the first time I tested it.

I'm with possumattack!! What is so hard about this? You people screwed this up in Vista and now we have to continue to endure the same stuff in W7. There were plenty of people who complained about this defect. Yes DEFECT in the program.

I just do NOT understand why this has to be rocket science for you people at MS!!

IT DOES NOT WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thursday, August 19, 2010 5:57 PM
  • THANK YOU!  I have been going crazy trying to figure out how to globally set the view the way I want it.  I have been setting each folder individually but I have over a thousand plus.  You have saved me hours and a lot of frustration.  Worked perfect the first time.  Thanks Vivian.

Friday, August 20, 2010 1:32 AM
  • Thank you so much I was going crazy trying to figure it out!
    Saturday, August 28, 2010 1:19 AM
  • I will do the alt and get into folder options but when I look at view "apply to Folders" is disabled. Is there another way
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 8:36 PM
  • yeah. I normally dont reply to things like this due to having to sign up to forums and alike. But This has been driving me mad. Why would Microsoft set it as default this way. But I tried as Vivian has put it and it works for me. And I am so appreciative that I just had to reply to say THANK YOU SO VERY VERY MUCH!

now I have 'List' as default for everything but folders that contain pictures which have 'Thumbnails' as default...

THANK YOU!

Friday, September 24, 2010 7:31 AM
  • Yeah but how do you change EVERY SINGLE FOLDER YOU EVER LOOK AT to have the same type. I am simply not interested in what "Genre" my files are. How do I go back to the glory days of Windows 95 when folders DID NOT assume what columns I "need". It's easy enough to hit "details" or "thumbnails" when I want to view the folder differently.... but it is very annoying to have to set my folders to have the "date modified" column available so I can sort on that column.

Another example of "if it aint broke, don't fix it." Well it wasn't broken and Microsoft apparently decided to fix it.

Monday, December 06, 2010 6:17 PM
  • The following comment from http://www.geekydrunk.com/2008/01/10/change-vista-default-folder-view-make-folders-same/ nailed it...

1. BC’s right. For the longest time, I thought you could just set the “Make all folders like this one” and have it convert those annoying Pic/Music folders over to regular file folder template. But, that’s not the case.

Since Vista uses different templates for folder types (All Files, Documents, Pic/Music, etc), when you click “Apply current folder settings to all”, it only applies current folder settings to other folders using the same template. So, if you’re applying an “All Files” file folder template, it’ll skip over the view change on Pic/Music folders.

So, you have to go to your root-drive (EG: C:\), select each folder, right-click for Properties, then click the “Customize” tab (if it has one … if not, then either the folders are hard-set system folders, or all are already using the same template…not sure). You can then select the folder-type template, and check the box “apply to all subfolders”. If the “Apply” button comes up, then sure enough you have some rogue folder cruising around in there using some different format. If “Apply” stays grayed out, just click “OK”, since more than likely all the folders/subfolders are using the same template.

Once you do this, you then have to pick a file folder again, go back to the “Organize Folders” option, and do the “apply current folder view to all”. That way it’ll catch any of those lame, rogue pic/music folders that just converted to “All Files” folder template.

Personally, I think this little sub-discussion just highlights why Vista is such a pain in the butt. It’s more stable and has more bells/whistles, but it’s the biggest pain in the butt to do minor things like this in it. This is a testament to the programmers having more control over how the UI was designed then the UI team. The programmers got to add more features, but they took things everyone already knows (like setting up default folder views), added in layers of complexity, then disassociated how to set it all up by making you dig into 2 totally different areas (”organize folder” option & the folder “properties”) to change things that impact the SAME thing…folder views!

Vista is not bad, but the UI execution sure leaves a lot to be desired. It’s the 21st century. No matter how complex software is, good User Interfaces should make it intuitive by grouping like-minded activities together or using Wizards to step folks though complex tasks (which this has annoyingly turned into).

Monday, December 06, 2010 6:39 PM
  • I just installed windows 7. Are you seriously telling me that i now have all folders with mp3s in them AUTOMAGICALLY (THANKS FOR THE HANDY HELPING HAND THERE MICROSOFT!!!) set to some designers whim of what an mp3 folder "SHOULD" look like?

Well i was going to write a big rant, and indeed did, but then i was doing some more research and it seems like i just made everyones day and solved the problem (partially). Or well THIS guy did:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16694/customize-the-five-windows-folder-templates/

After you’ve clicked OK, visit some of the other folders in your file system.  You should see that most have taken on these new settings.

What we’ve just done, in effect, is we have customized the General Items template.  This is one of five templates that Windows Explorer uses to display folder contents.  The five templates are called (in Windows 7):

1. General Items
    2. Documents
    3. Pictures
    4. Music
    5. Videos

When a folder is opened, Windows Explorer examines the contents to see if it can automatically determine which folder template to use to display the folder contents.  If it is not obvious that the folder contents falls into any of the last four templates, then Windows Explorer chooses the General Items template.  That’s why most of the folders in your file system are shown using the General Items template.

Changing the Other Four Templates

If you want to adjust the other four templates, the process is very similar to what we’ve just done.  If you wanted to change the “Music” template, for example, the steps would be as follows:

1. Select a folder that contains music items
    2. Apply the existing Music template to the folder (even if it doesn’t look like you want it to)
    3. Customize the folder to your personal preferences
    4. Apply the new template to all “Music” folders

A fifth step would be:  When you open a folder that contains music items but is not automatically displayed using the Music template, you manually select the Music template for that folder.

Anyways, sorry that explanation doesnt do it justice. I have spent waaay too much time trying to figure this out already. Also that link doesnt say how to 1) copy templates (are they file or registry based?, didnt do research) 2) if you can distable templates or the automatic re-templating of folders.

THAT is what i want to know! as it is much more maintance then its actually worth...

but once i had set 5 default types to, the exact same thing... it now doesnt matter if it automagically switches it. SUCK IT MS AUTOTUNE!!!

Its bloody hard to frame this question too. What can you say about this? "folder changes to mp3" "customize folder types windows 7" "windows 7 folder changes to mp3" "dont automatically change folders to mp3" "how to change mp3 details column for good" "automatically change column order win 7 mp3"

The search that actually solved it:

"do not apply default template to mp3 windows 7"

good luck, this worked for me!

EDIT: also i just noticed that neonr already answered this above. i just didnt read it carefully enough. anyways i guess i will leave this and mark his as answer.

Friday, December 17, 2010 5:16 AM
  • Right guys while i was reading this post to try to get the answer and figure out the solution at the same time (as i wanted all folders to be viewed the same with list view) i managed to figure it out...

some came close but if you really want to have the same view e.g. "list view" on all folders reguardless on what is in them then follow this process...

Open up you default folder for me i got a partition for my documents

right click on that folder and select "customise this folder" (you can also do this from View> Customise this folder )

make sure your on "Customise " tab and "what kind of folder do you want?"

click the option "optimise this folder for: " and select general or something

Tick the option "Also apply this template fo all sub folders"

and click apply (if the button is greyed out select a different option like documents then

flick back to general or what you had previously selected and it will be available)

then simply click the view type you wish "Titles, Large icons or Details" and all folders and sub folders will now be viewed in same view type

Hope this helps and sorts things out for ya ;)

Al

"edit" :

if you wish to change all folder view to a different view setting remember to click the view you want the:

Tools> Folder options> View> "Apply to all folders" then ok and all folders will change to new view type

• Edited by Al Mcq Tuesday, January 11, 2011 12:33 PM futher thought
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 12:28 PM
  • See it works for me: WinXp

Vivian Xing<abbr class="affil">Microsoft</abbr><abbr class="affil">, Moderator</abbr>

<abbr class="affil" />

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 9:54 AM
  • thank you, your answer is already available in win 7 and the only one that worked for me. Wish you well.
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 9:42 PM
  • Has anyone tried changing the Windows Theme to classic and then going to Tools>>>Folder Options>>>>View>>>>make the necessary changes and then hit the apply to folders button? You can then customize each folder the way you would like to. This worked great for me.

• Proposed as answer by dreamelements Friday, February 18, 2011 3:35 PM
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 9:50 PM
  • Thanks Vivian

Worked perfectly the first time and so easy to do.

Friday, February 18, 2011 12:14 AM
  • This thread has 30K views.  This should tell MS that they're doing something wrong.  For years their model has been to "upgrade" by burying what used to be easy into something else and making you go through more steps and more aggravation to do the simplest things.  No matter how smoothly, more advanced the items are in the background, it's what we work with minute-by-minute that is most apparent and affects us dramatically in accomplishing our tasks.

When they make changes to user interfaces they should always give a "classics" option.   In the research world when we make changes to a protocol, we always have to identify how it was done in the past and what the changes are.  At the very least a road map to changes would be extremely helpful.  But then they don't give you any resources at all, other than the forums, without which I could not function.  (Forums or other web help sites.)

I never, ever want to see icons.  It is the way my brain works.  I want to see detailed lists.  Then I can actually find something.  Other people's brains need icons.  They can only find things by looking at pictures.  There's nothing wrong with folks who have brains that work differently, but we all need to be accommodated.

Thanks to this thread, I have now solved this aggravation that I've been annoyed by intermittently for the month I've owned Windows 7.  Today I had the time to research and try to resolve.  Thank you for the very helpful information and instructions.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 5:40 PM
  • thanks. its worked for me on vista.
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 11:21 PM
  • It is 2011, I'm running Windows 7 64-bit and while I can update the folders on my computer, I still can't get this to work on any media (general or otherwise) on an optical drive.  What gives?
    Thursday, March 03, 2011 6:17 PM
  • People, stop trying to make this work.

Those who could get it to work, are simple users who have yet to really use it.

Read this carefully: IT DOES NOT WORK!!!

The people at Microsoft, when trying to set something to appear the way "THEY THINK" it is supposed to be, will fail to do that properly.

This thing fails each time it tries to think, so when something triggers that brain and wake it up, it wakes up and do its job incorrectly.

That means each time you pop in an optical drive, re-attach an external drive, USB, remap a network drive, or those drives that have the ability to go into stand-by and wake up upon being accessed... will get that "Microsoft thinking brain" to start working...

... and it will screw things up.

When that happens, and you try to set the view for that optical drive back to what you want, then this MS BRAIN will randomly change the view of some other of your LOCAL folders, if you had earlier set them all to be globally the same.

Marvellous!

Mick Hannahan
    Sunday, March 06, 2011 2:31 AM
  • Anyways, sorry that explanation doesnt do it justice. I have spent waaay too much time trying to figure this out already. Also that link doesnt say how to 1) copy templates (are they file or registry based?, didnt do research) 2) if you can distable templates or the automatic re-templating of folders.

THAT is what i want to know! as it is much more maintance then its actually worth...

but once i had set 5 default types to, the exact same thing... it now doesnt matter if it automagically switches it. SUCK IT MS AUTOTUNE!!!

I agree. It's way to cumbersome to change all five folder types. I found a different solution here

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/15699-folder-template-default.html

You have to execute the registry file from "2. To Set General Items Folder Template as Default of All Folders". From there on, all folders will be of the "general" type and you only have to change that one.

They also mentioned that the folders displayed under "Libraries" can not be changed. So those people that stated "IT DOES NOT WORK" are probably right. Maybe there is another registry hack for that one.

For me it seems like MS didn't go the whole way. Different folder types might be really useful for some people. But they didn't include the obvious features you already stated: 1. Being able to disable Folder Templates. 2. Being able to copy folder templates. 3. Defining you own folder types (maybe based on file extensions). And it should all be customizable from ONE place (not in two different places like others mentioned already).

• Edited by sudowg Monday, March 28, 2011 4:08 PM fixed typos
    Monday, March 28, 2011 4:06 PM
  • http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/15699-folder-template-default.html

Btw. The content of the registry file is:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\AllFolders\shell]
    "FolderType"="NotSpecified"
    So it's actually a pretty simple thing.

• Proposed as answer by BertVi Monday, June 17, 2013 8:40 AM
    Monday, March 28, 2011 4:12 PM
  • Ahah I perceive a certain degree of exasperation in Katai and Possumattack's replies. At least I feel less lonely. I hate those giant icons which seem designed for visually impaired or mental disabled. I'm wondering why every time MS spends as much as for the NASA Apollo moon program for a new OS is ends up worse than the one before. I will do like the Catholics during the Inquisition with the Bible, rule that XP cannot be perfected, worship it till the end of times and destroy any alternative as an heresy.
    Monday, April 11, 2011 3:25 PM
  • This is the answer, works wonders, must do for general items type for most folders to get it.
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 4:27 AM
  • Again, this is the answer, works wonders, must do for general items type for most folders to get it.  However, that is not to say that some people, especially those who have upgraded might not experienec further issues.  If all else fails, try a clear Windows install.  After years of wear and tear, in my experience, Windows must be reloaded to return to normal.  Just a fact of life.  After 2 years, my Vista could not remember even 1 folder's settings.  Clean installed Windows 7, no problems after applying this fix.
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 4:29 AM
  • As he said:

Hi,

Hope it helps.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 4:30 AM
  • Thanks it worked. I have searching for this solution. I like list view to view files and folder.

Amit
    Saturday, July 09, 2011 9:04 AM
  • OK I add my 2-cent to the "it does not work." If you have many folders the above steps show cause the view in some folders and not in many many others. Hit and miss and it is in fact "forgotten."

You can try over and over again, documents, general, etc. and it still does not "flow throuh" to ALL folders that are subfolders to the higher level folder. 

If someone at Microsoft wants to look at it feel free to contact me and I'll give you web meeting. But surely getting this many people verifying the "it does not work" can prove the point. 

I have not tried the above registry fix. Will give that a go but I sure wish they' fix this bug. (Also many others; folder size as a column or let the folks that developed software to do this work inside of Windows 7, etc., etc., etc.) 

Thursday, July 28, 2011 7:42 PM
  • possumattack I could not have said it any better.  What don't the techs understand here?  default type all files....
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 7:13 AM
  • Meeting with Microsoft?  RETARDS.

I repeat RETARDS are working for Microsoft these days.

Good old WindowsXP developed by Israeli design team (related to Intel core7 team) in some desert was monumentally good for its time, perhaps ahead of its time.  "XP" in WindowsXP stands for "eXPerience".  WinXP's been aging & fading away as 21centiry rolled past 2008; but problem is since XP - WindowsVista was a fiasco & Windows7 while much better/corrected than Vista fiasco, still retains a number of problems similar to Folder Views annoyance, discussed in this thread.

I have to repeat if MS RETARDS are reading - STOP MESSING UP FOLDER VIEWS, YOUR PROPOSED "SOLTUIONS" DO NOT WORK !!  FOR POWER USERS - whose Filesystem contains thousands of Folders/deeply nested subfolders, they lose previously set global view, just b/c some go**amn Picture or Music file found its way into it, they change appearance to "pcitures" and crap.

Whose idea was it to enforce CHILDISH Views such as "Large Icons", "Thumbnails" and crap onto us, intelligent, powerusers??  AFAIC, oversized icons or whatever view which is NOT List view with just Name + Type columns and arranged by Type or Name as we could choose in WindowsXP (peace be upon her), is designed for Mentally Retarded people.  When you can't read, you need Icons, and when can't analyze even Icons you need Pictures or Thumbnails.  I am an Engineer, but was NOT all my life an engineer and am not too old, but I am telling you when I got my first computer in 1992, I set FileManager (what WinExplorer used to be called) to List View, I suspect it was the Default view anyway.

Anyone who manages THOUSANDS of files in Iconic/Pictorial view is a RETARD.

And apparently Microsft has lost talented Programmers, OR support folks, who read the Problem, and post an "asnwer" and then mark the go***mn incorrect answer as "answer" w/o trying thei rown answer on fairly ciomplex Foldertree with deeply nested subfolders.

Why the struggle?

Why didn't I have to fight WindowsXP, I am askign a simple question?

I used to set WinExplorer to List View ONCE in WinXP, now I have to occasionally fiddle with Views even in Win7, don't mention Vista - it was a pile of brown you know what.

====

Posted via Mobile device ==> tiny keyboard, sorry for typos, no time to run Spellcheck.  If Microsfot fixes problem, I will fix spelling, OK?

• Edited by Mark Gates Thursday, September 29, 2011 7:23 PM
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 7:18 PM
  • Meeting with Microsoft?  RETARDS.

I repeat RETARDS are working for Microsoft these days.

Good old WindowsXP developed by Israeli design team (related to Intel core7 team) in some desert was monumentally good for its time, perhaps ahead of its time.  "XP" in WindowsXP stands for "eXPerience".  WinXP's been aging & fading away as 21centiry rolled past 2008; but problem is since XP - WindowsVista was a fiasco & Windows7 while much better/corrected than Vista fiasco, still retains a number of problems similar to Folder Views annoyance, discussed in this thread.

I have to repeat if MS RETARDS are reading - STOP MESSING UP FOLDER VIEWS, YOUR PROPOSED "SOLTUIONS" DO NOT WORK !!  FOR POWER USERS - whose Filesystem contains thousands of Folders/deeply nested subfolders, they lose previously set global view, just b/c some go**amn Picture or Music file found its way into it, they change appearance to "pcitures" and crap.

Whose idea was it to enforce CHILDISH Views such as "Large Icons", "Thumbnails" and crap onto us, intelligent, powerusers??  AFAIC, oversized icons or whatever view which is NOT List view with just Name + Type columns and arranged by Type or Name as we could choose in WindowsXP (peace be upon her), is designed for Mentally Retarded people.  When you can't read, you need Icons, and when can't analyze even Icons you need Pictures or Thumbnails.  I am an Engineer, but was NOT all my life an engineer and am not too old, but I am telling you when I got my first computer in 1992, I set FileManager (what WinExplorer used tobe called) to List View, I suspect it was the Default view anyway.

Anyone who manages THOUSANDS of files in Iconic/Pictorial view is a RETARD.

And apparently Microsft has lost talented Programmers, OR support folks, who read the Problem, and post an "asnwer" and then mark the go***mn incorrect answer as "answer" w/o trying thei rown answer on fairly ciomplex Foldertree with deeply nested subfolders.

Why the struggle?

Why didn't I have to fight WindowsXP, I am askign a simple question?

I used to set WinExplorer to List View ONCE in WinXP, now I have to occasionally fiddle with Views even in Win7, don't mention Vista - it was a pile of brown you know what.

====

Posted via Mobile device ==> tiny keyboard, sorry for typos, no time to run Spellcheck.  If Microsfot fixes problem, I will fix spelling, OK?

• Edited by Mark Gates Thursday, September 29, 2011 7:22 PM
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 7:18 PM
  • Well mine stayed fixed still, like 9 months later. Perhaps people that still have an issue did not get all five types of folders. But using the registry fix to set all folders to "unspecified", I would think that this would make them get reset when windows "determines" that they have music files (as an example) in them. Like if windows "figures out" that it should change the folder type down the line for some reason, they may change them to be one of the five types. Im just throwing things out there, because the problem has not reoccurred for me as I have said.

Anyways I know the folder types work. Yes its a pain to set 5 items manually, but odds are you only have to do it once. There are quite a few worse bugs in windows 7 which MS is not fixing either. So I wouldn't hold your breath for a fix when this work around works for MOST people. You all know I am sure, how much they love these kinds of eye candy "intelligence" features. At least they still let you set it to "classic" view. I think windows 8 they may take that away, but i forget where I heard that.

Thursday, September 29, 2011 8:00 PM
  • IT DOES NOT WORK FOR OPTICAL DRIVES, THEY INSIST ON DETAILS VIEW + "GROUP BY" CRAP, DID YOU KNOW?
    GO CHECK YOUR OPTICAL DRIVE NOW !
    I BET IT SHOWS FOLDER IN "DETAILS" +"GROUP BY" NOBODY ASKED FOR!
    IT IS BY STUPID DESIGN.
    Some of us, write BD's containing Tens of Thousands of files, you think it's appropriate for user to continually fiddle with FolderView which reverts from List/NoGrouping to Details/Grouping as soon as you leave/reenter folder ??
    Aggravation.

Let me explain for those Microsoft employees who need extra effort understanding simple matters:

1) The entire thing is messed up so that powerusers like us are forced to run 2 Registry hacks + modify behavior of 5 built in FolderView Templates.  This works for Fixed Drives e.g. HDD, SSD, any nonremovable drive.

2) That it does NOT work for removable media.  For example, when I open a data CD/DVD/BD, I always get the Details view in any of its folder[root]/subfolders.  You can spend a night playing with proposed "solutions" by Microsoft MVP - good luck, it doesn’t make a bit of difference.
    MY POINT HOWEVER - IS EVEN A FIX WHICH WE, CUSTOMERS, NOT MICROSOFT (!!) FOUND & PROPOSED WHICH WORKS FINE UNLIKE MS MVP's lame "solution" - even that should not "exist", we should not be hacking Registries and reverse-engineering stuff in order to get OS behave set by user, not some idi0tic "Template" 2-something year old programmer preferred in Redmond.
    Only people like us know this hack.
    BUT WAIT, as I said this hack (which we users, not Microsoft, found) only works for fixed drives.

I do NOT like Windows insisting on "Details" + "Group By" view of Optical drives, regardless of user's setting.  Blatant disrespect of user's settings.
    If you set it to "List" view + "NO grouping" (who asked for GroupBy feature, go**amn?) in WindowsXP, it would stay that way for HDD, CD/DVD/BDdrive.  Why is it so monumentally difficult to grasp, dear Microsoft?

====

Being upset and on a mobile device (Motorola Atrix 4G) ==> tiny keyboard, means I might make typos, when Microsft fixes FolderViews, I'll fix spelling.

• Edited by Mark Gates Sunday, October 02, 2011 10:53 PM
    Sunday, October 02, 2011 10:40 PM
  • Let me rephrase in a 3d way for those MS employees who're IQ challenged:
    We'd like to completely disable the "Group By" and file grouping in
    Windows Explorer when Optical Drive (CD/DVD/BD) is active.  Does NOT mean we hurt other customers - they're free to select this feature from rightclick menu and stick with it.

What we ask for (get a Micrscope if this is hard to read & understand !!):
    When user clicks "GroupBy--> NONE" i.e. turns it off, it would stick and not trun on again when you exit/reenter folder a few minutes later!.
    This is a fact (non-compliance with user's setting)  - after user sets all folders on Optical Drive properly thru "All Folders" in WinExplorer-->Tools-->FolderOptions-->View AND does all the registry hacks we discussed earlier, and this & that - still after all the effort, it doesn't frigging work.
    GET IT??

You're welcome.
    As of me, being an Engineer, I will simply ram this problem head on and solve it.  I rarely fail.  But I won't tell you how, so you too suffer and bug Microsft for a FIX !!

Sunday, October 02, 2011 11:04 PM
  • IT DOES NOT WORK FOR OPTICAL DRIVES, THEY INSIST ON DETAILS VIEW + "GROUP BY" CRAP, DID YOU KNOW?
    GO CHECK YOUR OPTICAL DRIVE NOW !
    I BET IT SHOWS FOLDER IN "DETAILS" +"GROUP BY" NOBODY ASKED FOR!
    IT IS BY STUPID DESIGN.
    Some of us, write BD's containing Tens of Thousands of files, you think it's appropriate for user to continually fiddle with FolderView which reverts from List/NoGrouping to Details/Grouping as soon as you leave/reenter folder ??
    Aggravation.

Let me explain for those Microsoft employees who need extra effort understanding simple matters:

1) The entire thing is messed up so that powerusers like us are forced to run 2 Registry hacks + modify behavior of 5 built in FolderView Templates.  This works for Fixed Drives e.g. HDD, SSD, any nonremovable drive.

2) That it does NOT work for removable media.  For example, when I open a data CD/DVD/BD, I always get the Details view in any of its folder[root]/subfolders.  You can spend a night playing with proposed "solutions" by Microsoft MVP - good luck, it doesn’t make a bit of difference.
    MY POINT HOWEVER - IS EVEN A FIX WHICH WE, CUSTOMERS, NOT MICROSOFT (!!) FOUND & PROPOSED WHICH WORKS FINE UNLIKE MS MVP's lame "solution" - even that should not "exist", we should not be hacking Registries and reverse-engineering stuff in order to get OS behave set by user, not some idi0tic "Template" 2-something year old programmer preferred in Redmond.
    Only people like us know this hack.
    BUT WAIT, as I said this hack (which we users, not Microsoft, found) only works for fixed drives.

I do NOT like Windows insisting on "Details" + "Group By" view of Optical drives, regardless of user's setting.  Blatant disrespect of user's settings.
    If you set it to "List" view + "NO grouping" (who asked for GroupBy feature, go**amn?) in WindowsXP, it would stay that way for HDD, CD/DVD/BDdrive.  Why is it so monumentally difficult to grasp, dear Microsoft?

====

Being upset and on a mobile device (Motorola Atrix 4G) ==> tiny keyboard, means I might make typos, when Microsft fixes FolderViews, I'll fix spelling.

Sunday, October 02, 2011 11:05 PM
  • Let me rephrase in a 3d way for those MS employees who're IQ challenged:
    We'd like to completely disable the "Group By" and file grouping in
    Windows Explorer when Optical Drive (CD/DVD/BD) is active.  Does NOT mean we hurt other customers - they're free to select this feature from rightclick menu and stick with it.

What we ask for (get a Micrscope if this is hard to read & understand !!):
    When user clicks "GroupBy--> NONE" i.e. turns it off, it would stick and not trun on again when you exit/reenter folder a few minutes later!.
    This is a fact (non-compliance with user's setting)  - after user sets all folders on Optical Drive properly thru "All Folders" in WinExplorer-->Tools-->FolderOptions-->View AND does all the registry hacks we discussed earlier, and this & that - still after all the effort, it doesn't frigging work.
    GET IT??

You're welcome.
    As of me, being an Engineer, I will simply ram this problem head on and solve it.  I rarely fail.  But I won't tell you how, so you too suffer and bug Microsft for a FIX !!

Sunday, October 02, 2011 11:06 PM
  • Here's what my coworker said about Vista back in 2007, thanks MS for fixing much in Windows7 since Vista fiasco days, but excuse me!  FoldersViews are still bad - I was able to hack into appearance of all Fixed Drives (HDD, SSD) thru Registry - but not Optical drives (+other removable?) & majority if customers aren't happy to resort to hacking (!) consumer Operating System, many customers won't even dare to try Regsitry.  Here's his prediction from 2007:
    ====

At least some of you seem to be able to CHOOSE DETAILS in the Vista explorer. The 'developers' who were allowed to completely ruin this part of Explorer must be insane. What is the point of having a group of 'new' features supposedly with immense 'power' if the fundamentals have been reduced to garbage? I've been writing software for 40 years now, and I'M embarrassed for the colossal  mess that has been made of one of the main features of Windows, from the earliest versions. I tried to look at the date modified column and somehow made it disappear. And since there seems to be no way to CHOOSE DETAILS I guess that folder will just have to exist without dates.

Bill Gates, we need you to unf**k this garbage. I have an MBA as well as a EE, and I want the head of whoever allowed this garbage to pass out the door and turn a simple, classic file display/organize/use tool into a ____ hole! I mean was this change in the requirements document and clearly specified, or was it just handed to some newby with the sage direction: "Screw this up and confuse as many long time users as possible."

This is the worst thing that Microsoft has ever done outside of stealing every idea that they can. The irony is that Windows Explorer was one that they owned and perfected.

I'm sure that the MS execs, if they pay attention at all, will see this Vista screwup as just another reason to ship development to India. A way to avoid responsibility for mistakes and mismanagement. Listen, the ONE thing that any manager has to do is to be able to look in the mirror and say "Well, today I'm the bozo."
    Sunday, October 02, 2011 11:21 PM
  • I ran into this problem too. However I found that if I select an entire hard drive by selecting its icon in Explorer, then right-click and select the "Customize" tab, there's a an option to "Customize this folder for:..." where I just selected "General Items", and checked "Also apply this template to all subfolders": so far it seems to work as every folder down the tree has correctly inherited the General Items template.

I suspect the problem with removable media is that it will depend on the content of the media which is re-examined every time; for removable devices it would definitely make more sense to be able to qualify this parameter by device rather than by content. At least the above will work by session.

I agree that this inattention to detail is sadly typical.

Friday, October 14, 2011 2:57 PM
  • Hi Vivian, I don't believe that you understand what the user wants. Regardless of what type of content is in the folder, regardless if the folder contains media files, or word files, or whatever; the user wants to make ALL folders view the contents in LIST VIEW for every single folder on the computer regardless of what is contained inside the folder. This is what I want to do as well. The problem is when the user has hundreds of separate media folders that the user wants in list view. I don't believe that it is rational or logical to expect the user to manually set the view as LIST for each one of his folders. When a new folder is created containing media files it automatically default to detail view rather than LIST view as well. To make EVERY single folder have the same VIEW regardless of content type was a feature that used to be available on Windows XP. It is absolutely NOT available on Windows 7. This is something that most power users want. -Bruce
    • Edited by bruce.satow Tuesday, November 22, 2011 8:42 PM
    • Proposed as answer by bruce.satow Tuesday, November 22, 2011 11:42 PM
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 8:29 PM
  • EASY WAY!!!

What I did (since Microsoft likes to make new OSs that are extremely annoying)... I went to my computer opened C: drive highlighted all folders, right clicked, then selected "properties", then selected "customize", look for "Optimize this folder for" then select "general items" and then check the box that says "apply to subfolders"... it will appy it to all folders on C:... then if you have xtra drives, just repeat the process....

Warning: It will also apply the same folder icon to all of those folders also

Thursday, December 01, 2011 10:42 AM
  • I believe I have found the way to do it (at least it worked for me).

1. Set a folder the way you want it to look, be it Details (my preference), List view, etc.

2. Tools -> Folder Options -> View tab

3. Check 'Always show icons, never thumbnails'

4. Click Apply

5. Click 'Apply to Folders' button

6. Click OK

That should do it.  I got this to work no matter what type of folder it was (documents, pictures, etc.). I hope it works for you all!

Vivian Dutch

• Proposed as answer by missviv2 Saturday, December 10, 2011 12:13 AM
    • Edited by missviv2 Saturday, December 10, 2011 12:16 AM
    Saturday, December 10, 2011 12:13 AM
  • OK I just figured this out, it's easy (although certainly not obvious!).  In "computer view" select the drive with the folders you want to change.  Select a folder or group of folders, right click with the mouse, choose "properties" from the drop down menu.  Choose the right-hand tab "customize", choose "optimizze for documents", and check the box that says "apply this template to all subfolders" if that is what you wish to do, and hit OK. Every folder in the directory and sub directories will now display in list view. 

They would have been smarter to have had list view under "general items" in my opinion.  This problem was driving me crazy because on a notebook computer with a small screen, you don't wan't to see the file details all the goddam time esepcially when you want to look through dozens of folders quickly to find something. 

The other thing I hate about Win 7 is how it displays folders that contain pictures -- like a little open book with pages sticking out.  The XP display was much better, where folder icon was flat and you could see some of the most recent pictures displayed on the icon.  One of the terrible things about software designers is their incessant need to justify their salaries by creating new crap whether it's an improvement or not.  ebay is a perfect example, they endlessly keep dicking around with the display options. 

• Edited by Lord Koos Tuesday, February 14, 2012 9:18 AM
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 9:14 AM
  • I wanted all of my sub folders and files inside of my main folder to be in "list"view.  To achieve this I opened up the main folder and pressed the ALT key.   From there it is just like using windows XP.  A hidden task bar will open up

• click on tools
    • folder options
    • view tab
    • click the "apply to all folders" button

It worked for me.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 10:41 PM
  • I  remembered something I read about XP having a maximum number of folders for which it will "remember" the custom setting.  Digging around found this link:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/folderviews.htm

I have no idea how this will play in Windows 7.

Friday, May 11, 2012 6:58 PM
  • I tried this in win7.

Changed the view of the folders in drive D to "Tiles"

From "Organize" drop down menu (available below the toolbar), selected "Folder and Search Options".

"Folder Options" popup opened -> View Tab

Select "Apply to Folders". It changed all my folders view to "Tiles". I guess you can try for other as well.

Regards,

Sagar

Thursday, July 12, 2012 12:42 AM
  • Excellent explanation and thank you very much for the link to Microsoft - this microsoft explanation actually helped.
    Friday, July 13, 2012 10:13 PM
  • Hi.

Follow this article where five steps are shown to apply the same folder view to all folders and sub-folders in a HDD in Windows OS. The same procedure is applicable for your optical drive as well.

Thanks.

Wednesday, August 01, 2012 4:18 PM
  • I am looking to have three columns in a windows contact shared folder. Name, Business Phone, and Home Phone. I can set it on my machine and it will hold the changes for just a single user. The questions I have is how can I set it to either save the changes so anyone that access that shared folder only has those three columns not the default windows columns. Or have it set so all users on the machine have just three desired columns not the default columns. Whenever a different user logs on we have to set it up manually and several users access the PC. Any help?
    Tuesday, August 07, 2012 7:52 PM
  • Vivian,

I know I'm three years late, but I wanted to say thanks anyway.  Of course, your answer regarding controlling the view/format of folders in Windows Explorer worked just fine.

I noticed this, however: For my second hard drive (E:), I was able to right-click on the drive icon (at root level) and a Customize tab was available, thereby allowing me to set the type of folder option for all the folders on my E: drive.  However, the same technique did not work for C:.  No Customize tab was available, therefore, I applied the setting to each root-level folder individually.

I've been "suffering" with my folders appearing in many different ways for a long, long time.  I'm not directing my frustration toward you, of course, but if Microsoft is giving the user the option of customizing the type of folder, you'd think all the related controls would be located together.  In other words, as users are setting Folder Options under the Personalization section of Control Panel, to me it seems they'd co-locate all the related controls instead of making users frustrated by wondering why the options they set are not being "globally" applied to ALL folders on their computer.

Thanks again!

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 8:14 PM
  • Yeh, also would like to say thanks to Vivian.

This is useful, can't believe it's only now I've wanted to set all views to a particular type.

Monday, November 05, 2012 6:32 AM
  • جزاؑک اللہ
    Sunday, November 11, 2012 8:20 AM
  • Thank you this saved me a lot of grief. It is always the simplest things give you the biggest headache  
    Friday, December 07, 2012 6:34 PM
  • Thanks I just was looking for the same.

I want to display the Camera maker and Camera model in all my Sub folders. 

I did it in the top folder and applied to sub folders.

Sunday, March 31, 2013 8:52 PM
  • Btw. The content of the registry file is:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\AllFolders\shell]
    "FolderType"="NotSpecified"
    So it's actually a pretty simple thing.

As a power user, this is the perfect answer for me. I remembered from my Vista days that I had to fix this in the registry but I forgot where. Opening the mentioned key I also remembered I had to delete all the numbered bags: those contain customizations for specific folders that override any defaults specified in templates. So if you have made the registry changes suggested above and still get folders with a different view (apart from certain system directories such as user home), delete those bags as well.
    Monday, June 17, 2013 8:46 AM
  • I press alt+v then d.
    • Edited by Codyjh8 Tuesday, November 26, 2013 1:21 AM
    Tuesday, November 26, 2013 1:20 AM
  • This does not work.
    Wednesday, February 12, 2014 12:11 AM
  • This worked just fine for me. Thanks for your input.
    Tuesday, April 08, 2014 2:51 PM