none
Changing the Primary Domain DNS name of this computer to "" failed.

Question

• Hi

We have been hitting an error when adding Windows 7 and Windows 2008 R2 machines to our Windows 2003 domain, specifically:

---------------------------
    Computer Name/Domain Changes
    Changing the Primary Domain DNS name of this computer to "" failed. The name will remain "sci.com".

The error was:

The specified server cannot perform the requested operation.
    OK  
    Any help on knocking out my Primary DNS suffix would be helpful.

Deva

Deva Self-trust is the first secret of success.
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 8:51 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Please kindly refer to the following article to check if it is helpful to you:

Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 domain join displays error "Changing the Primary Domain DNS name of this computer to "" failed...."

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 8:58 AM
  • We also had the same problem and the problem was fixed when we select following entry in TCP/IP dns settings

"Use this connection's DNS suffix in DNS registration" :)

• Proposed as answer by DMobley232 Friday, September 28, 2012 2:39 PM
    Sunday, April 29, 2012 8:24 AM
  • I resolved this problem by doing the following:

1) Making sure I didn't add the DNS entries before joining the domain.

2) making sure the network adapters DNS entry was pointing to my Domain controllers DNS first then the secondary dns.  We run two DNS' here and i had the secondary DNS's IP set as the first DNS server.  When I changed it and added my DC DNS it allowed me on with no problem.

I was using Windows Server 2012 standard though.

• Proposed as answer by Cmbailey87 18 hours 1 minutes ago
    Friday, April 12, 2013 8:54 PM
  • Hi guys

I have similar problem after I upgraded my domain controllers from 2008 to 2012R2. I have root domain and child domains. I upgraded 2 child domains (DC's) and raised its domain functional level to 2012 R2 and now I am experiencing this. Root domain is for the head office and child domains are for our company office branches.

e.g if head office is New York the root domain is called NY (NY.lightglobe.com) and the office branch created as child domains is in Texas (TX.lightglobe.com), California (CA.lightglobe.com), Miami (MI.lightglobe.com), etc

Previously before the upgrade I would successfully join computers for the branches but doing this from the head office e.g pc is in NY branch I could join it to the CA domain before I send it to the branch. Now after the upgrades I get the same error as I join it while the pc is at the head office. Ok now where the restart completes I get to the log in screen, I enter login details, I get the error " The security database on the server does not have a computer account for this workstation trust relationship". Then it does not log in to windows which I am forced to log in locally to remove the computer from the domain, delete the computer object from the AD, try again to join it, I get the same error. I need help. I cant keep flying all over the country every week to join machines from locally branch.

Sunday, May 11, 2014 5:38 PM
  • Hi guys

I have similar problem after I upgraded my domain controllers from 2008 to 2012R2. I have root domain and child domains. I upgraded 2 child domains (DC's) and raised its domain functional level to 2012 R2 and now I am experiencing this. Root domain is for the head office and child domains are for our company office branches.

e.g if head office is New York the root domain is called NY (NY.lightglobe.com) and the office branch created as child domains is in Texas (TX.lightglobe.com), California (CA.lightglobe.com), Miami (MI.lightglobe.com), etc

Previously before the upgrade I would successfully join computers for the branches but doing this from the head office e.g pc is in NY branch I could join it to the CA domain before I send it to the branch. Now after the upgrades I get the same error as I join it while the pc is at the head office. Ok now where the restart completes I get to the log in screen, I enter login details, I get the error " The security database on the server does not have a computer account for this workstation trust relationship". Then it does not log in to windows which I am forced to log in locally to remove the computer from the domain, delete the computer object from the AD, try again to join it, I get the same error. I need help. I cant keep flying all over the country every week to join machines from locally branch.

I'm having the same problem, my circumstances are similar. I have introduced a few 2012 R2 Domain Controllers in the domain but my functional level is still 2003.

Anyone has any idea on how to solve this?

Monday, May 26, 2014 3:28 PM
  • 

Hi Riccardo Toni,

This error is very critical because when we add a duplicate name it won't give us the duplicate name errors simple it over-writes the existing host name which makes lot of issues.

I faced this critical error which makes over-writes the host names in the domain when you join.
    For example: Already you had a host name called as PC.domain.com in the domain.com Domain.
    When you try to add the another host name called as PC in the domain.com Domain, it doesn't give you the duplicate name error on the network it does over-write the existing host name called as PC.domain.com & it will add the new host name into the domain.

Host name which got over-written will get removed from the domain. I faced this issue in my project. My DPM host name got removed from the Domain & new host name got joined into the domain which halted my backups for one day.

Final Resolution is as follows:
    You need to start the dns console on the DC & drop down the domain name.
    Select the _msdcs when you click on _msdcs it will show the Name Server's list on the right hand side.
    You need to add the Domain Naming Master under the _msdcs or add all the domain controllers which you had.

After you add the Name server's try joining the PC OR Laptop to the domain which is successfully joins it.

I hope this will resolve your issue.

Regards
    Anand S

Thanks & Regards Anand Sunka MCSA+CCNA+MCTS

Friday, June 20, 2014 10:39 AM
  • We also had the same problem and the problem was fixed when we select following entry in TCP/IP dns settings

"Use this connection's DNS suffix in DNS registration" :)

That worked great, thanks a bunch
    Tuesday, June 24, 2014 3:55 PM
  • Worked for me Buddy.

I had a hunch this was it...

Glad to hear a second thought on it.

18 hours 1 minutes ago