none
PCI Simple Communications Controller

Question

• After installing the software windows 7 pro.  Everything is OK except something called PCI Simple Communications Controller.  It doesn't appear to be affecting anything adversely, but I can't find any info on it online. I don't have any expansion cards.  My PC is brand acer veriton m661.  Any suggestions?

• Moved by Ken Warren Tuesday, December 29, 2009 2:32 PM Not a Windows Home Server question (From:Windows Home Server Software)
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 2:17 PM

Answers

All replies

• You've posted in the Windows Home Server forums, not the Windows 7 forums. I'll be moving this to those forums momentarily...

Usually this is some device such as a modem that isn't recognized automatically. You can track it down using the vendor ID information that you can access through Device Manager.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 2:31 PM
  • Usually a PCI Simple Communications Controller means the PCI modem for dial-up / send/receive faxes, alothugh with some Intel boards this also means Intel VT or something like that...

Go to Control Panel->System, click Device Manager link on left, go to Other devices, right click the PCI Simple Communications Controller and select Properties, click the Details tab, select Hardware ID in the dropdown box, and post the resulting gibberish below the dropdown box here. This is a unique code that helps obtain a driver for a particular device.

- JoelbX    My favorite threads | Computer tips
          Contact me | 'Gadget' programs
    • Edited by JoelbX Sunday, January 24, 2010 6:10 PM edit signature :)
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 2:57 PM
  • Hi RamiNassar,

Based on my research, Acer doesn't provide any Windows 7 compatible driver for your PC. It is recommended to contact manufacturer to obtain Windows 7 compatible driver. Currently you maybe can go to the following link to download Windows Vista compatible chipset driver and install it in Windows Vista compatibility mode.

http://us.acer.com/acer/service.do?LanguageISOCtxParam=en&miu10einu24.current.attN2B2F2EEF=3750&sp=page15e&ctx2.c2att1=25&miu10ekcond13.attN2B2F2EEF=3750&CountryISOCtxParam=US&ctx1g.c2att92=453&ctx1.att21k=1&CRC=2054404012

Please note: we provide 3rd party link to download driver for technical use. There may be some changes without notice, Microsoft doesn't guarantee any accuracy on contacting information.

BTW, there are some similar issues that you can refer:

PCI Serial Port and PCI Simple Communications Controller Drivers for Windows 7 Enterprise

Best Regards
    Dale
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 6:10 AM
  • Joel I hope you can help me. On my m-in-law's Gateway Computer she uses AOL (believe it or not), so she uses her modem for internet. Anyway I live 45 min away from her so I p/u her hd and brought it my home to troubleshoot it cause it crashed on her (?) and it said to reinstall the operating system. Well I got the OS reinstalled and now under Device Manager I am getting the yellow "?" "PCI Simple Communications Controller" that was installed under "UOther Devices". I have searched and searched for this driver on my laptop to find the driver needed. I've even installed some driver co to tell me what drivers are outdated but they cost more money which I don't have nor my m-in-law (72 yrs) neither. I retyped what they said into word program, so I will copy/paste here what they said:

Gateway GT5222E

Windows XP

Pentium 4

Modem PCI Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP

hardware-helper.exe
    www.pchelpsoft.com/hh-online/c/pci/card

DEVICE IS IN " "

1   Realtek High Definition Audio Drivers  

Driver Date 06/14/2011
    Version: 5.10.0.6392

"realtek high definition audio"

2 AMD South Bridge Drivers - "ATI SM Bus"

Driver Date 06/15/2011
    Version: 11.6

3 AMD 690G/780G/790GX/SB400/SB450/SB600/SB700/SB750 RAID drivers

Driver Date 06/18/2008
    Version: 5.1.0.8

a "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller"
    b "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller"
    There are two listed exactly the same?

4 ATI Display Drivers - "ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 Series"

Driver Date 02/10/2010
    Version: 8.593.100.0000

5 Realtek GbE & FE Ethernet PCI NIC Drivers

Driver Date 03/25/2009
    Version: 5.719.0325.2009

"Realttek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC"

6 Intel HAM Data Fax Voice Modem Drivers

Driver Date 11/20/2000
    Version: 334.0.0

"? PCI Simple Communications Controller"

Please help me help my m-in-law.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 5:09 PM
  • I too am stuck with PCI Simple Communications Controller. I was told it is part of the Vpro technology, and is used for the remote communications tool.  Windows 7 premium...

Steven D. Harrington
    Saturday, December 31, 2011 11:26 PM