none
Warning Ordinal 62 not located in cscdll.dll

Question

• This warning has suddenly started appearing in my Vista Home Premium system after months without problems. It occurs on opening either particular programs (such as QuickTime, or Sysinternals Process Explorer) or within a program (eg File ... Save) in Notepad. Once the popup is closed, the program in question functions quite normally. I have tried System Restore to before the first occurrence of the problem without success. I have looked at locating the CSC as per Knowledge Base, but again without success. I can find nothing about this anywhere. It generates an event 26 (STATUS_LOG_HARD_ERROR) but appears to have nothing to do with disk operations. I have written a temporary workaround using Event Viewer and AutoHotKey that removes the popup when it appears, but am baffled as to the possible cause of the problem.
    Thursday, April 02, 2009 7:09 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

At this time, let’s try the following to narrow down the issue:

1.    Scan your system to make sure that the system is virus free. Temporarily disable your security software (Anti-virus software, firewall, etc.) to see if this problem is gone.

2.    If you have recently installed any software, hardware or drivers, please remove them.

3.    Please boot the system to “Safe Mode with networking” and see if the issue reoccurs.

4.    Perform a Clean Boot to check the issue:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

5.    If you use Offline Files, please also refer to the following Knowledge Base:

How to move the client-side caching (CSC) folder to a new location in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942960

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Friday, April 03, 2009 11:04 AM
  • Thanks Nicholas. I have been through all those steps. The problem did occur in safe mode, and reappeared on normal startup. There had been no new programs installed (apart from a reinstall of Gears of War following the certificate expiry bug).

What started to happen then was that the error began to cascade, appearing suddenly in programs where it had not appeared before, and remaining there. 

So I abandoned a month's files, and restored my most recent valid image (my own fault for not having a more recent one). The problem has not recurred since, but I am still very puzzled as to its source. I almost never use offline files, and certainly haven't (to my knowledge) for about 12 months. I got no virus or spyware detections restoring system and registry backups had no effect at all.
    Friday, April 10, 2009 1:51 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

At this time, let’s try the following to narrow down the issue:

1.    Scan your system to make sure that the system is virus free. Temporarily disable your security software (Anti-virus software, firewall, etc.) to see if this problem is gone.

2.    If you have recently installed any software, hardware or drivers, please remove them.

3.    Please boot the system to “Safe Mode with networking” and see if the issue reoccurs.

4.    Perform a Clean Boot to check the issue:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

5.    If you use Offline Files, please also refer to the following Knowledge Base:

How to move the client-side caching (CSC) folder to a new location in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942960

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Friday, April 03, 2009 11:04 AM
  • Thanks Nicholas. I have been through all those steps. The problem did occur in safe mode, and reappeared on normal startup. There had been no new programs installed (apart from a reinstall of Gears of War following the certificate expiry bug).

What started to happen then was that the error began to cascade, appearing suddenly in programs where it had not appeared before, and remaining there. 

So I abandoned a month's files, and restored my most recent valid image (my own fault for not having a more recent one). The problem has not recurred since, but I am still very puzzled as to its source. I almost never use offline files, and certainly haven't (to my knowledge) for about 12 months. I got no virus or spyware detections restoring system and registry backups had no effect at all.
    Friday, April 10, 2009 1:51 AM
  • I now have that exact same problem when I start Internet Explore, Office 2007 and other applications.  Server 2008 SP1 with all current maintenance applied
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 5:17 PM
  • Hello, as of 4/30/2009 I am seeing this message as well.  I have taken the steps below to no avail.  Is there any other suggestion or another fix available?
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 7:07 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your posts.

May I know if you received the same error message “Warning Ordinal 62 not located in cscdll.dll”?

Please also try the following suggestions to see if it works:

1.    Please run Windows Update and ensure that all the updates have been applied on your computer.

2.    Please go to the folder “C:\Windows\System32” and check if the file “cscdll.dll” exists.

3.    Please run SFC to check if there is any file corrupted.

Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

For more information about the command SFC, please refer to the following Knowledge Base:

How to repair the operating system and how to restore the operating system configuration to an earlier point in time in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936212

To avoid possible confusion and make our discussion clear, please post new threads in our forum regarding your questions and we will continue to help you.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, May 05, 2009 7:19 AM
  • Hi,

I stumbled onto this thread after experiencing the same missing ordinal 62 in cscdll.dll issue.  In my case, this problem started after I used PCMover to transfer settings from Windows XP 32 bit to a new Windows 7 64 bit install. 

Using procmon, I traced the problem down to PCMover putting an old cscui.dll in the C:\Windows\SysWOW64 directory.  Simply renaming (or deleting) this file fixed it because now Windows uses the proper cscui.dll (in my case C:\Windows\System32).  If you are running in 32 bit mode, you may need to restore a backup of cscui.dll into your C:\Windows\System32 folder.

My advice is to check your cscui.dll file.

Hope this helps you or someone else.
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 7:13 PM
  • I had exactly the same problem after running PCMover (nice program though) and it is solved by the above advice! Most grateful!
    Henk
    Thursday, October 08, 2009 8:22 AM