none
Problem Upgrading to a Larger Hard Drive

Question

• I have Windows 7 and I just upgraded to a larger hard drive. I cloned the old hard drive onto the new hard drive. My problem is that windows 7 sees the size of the new larger hard drive as being the same as the old small hard drive. This seems to be caused by cloning the old drive's partition information. There is only one partition on the drive, meaning the whole drive is C. In Disk Management the "Format->Extend Volume..." is grayed out. How can I make Windows 7 check the true size of the new hard drive and change the partition information to show the full drive size?

Thursday, April 08, 2010 4:04 PM

Answers

• You should use an app Included in Microsoft Windows : Disk Management

First, go to Control Panel

Second, type in search "partition", it should appear an button "Create and format hard disk partitions"

Third, When the program is opened, you should see your partition(s), right click on it and choose "Extend Volume" And choose the amount that you want to add in.

P.S. (Extend Partition Only Works with contiguous space), that means that the space that you want to add in is right next to the partition.

Ill show an example at the Quote below...

IF THAT DOESN'T WORK, TRY DISKPART :

Type In Run : diskpart.exe

1 - Type in : "list disk" and an list of disk(s) available will show up and type "select disk 0" (change the number for choosing another disk)

2 - Now type in : "list partition" and an list of partition(s) available will show up and type "select partition 1" (change the number for choosing another partition)

You CAN skip step 2 but its not recommended

3 - Now type in : "list volume" and an list of volume(s) will show up and type "select volume 2" ("2" is normally C: but it can vary, so look it up)

4 - Finally, type in : "extend" and follow the steps.

░░░░-▒▒▒▒-▓▓▓▓
    Thursday, April 08, 2010 7:45 PM

All replies

• If you used a sector based utility to clone the drive on your old computer, I could see how you ended up with things the way that they are now.

You could try repeating the process again, but this time instead of using a sector based tool, use a file based tool like ImageX which is free from MS.

ImageX is part of the Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK for short) and can be downloaded here:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=136976

Mike N.
    Thursday, April 08, 2010 7:34 PM
  • You should use an app Included in Microsoft Windows : Disk Management

First, go to Control Panel

Second, type in search "partition", it should appear an button "Create and format hard disk partitions"

Third, When the program is opened, you should see your partition(s), right click on it and choose "Extend Volume" And choose the amount that you want to add in.

P.S. (Extend Partition Only Works with contiguous space), that means that the space that you want to add in is right next to the partition.

Ill show an example at the Quote below...

IF THAT DOESN'T WORK, TRY DISKPART :

Type In Run : diskpart.exe

1 - Type in : "list disk" and an list of disk(s) available will show up and type "select disk 0" (change the number for choosing another disk)

2 - Now type in : "list partition" and an list of partition(s) available will show up and type "select partition 1" (change the number for choosing another partition)

You CAN skip step 2 but its not recommended

3 - Now type in : "list volume" and an list of volume(s) will show up and type "select volume 2" ("2" is normally C: but it can vary, so look it up)

4 - Finally, type in : "extend" and follow the steps.

░░░░-▒▒▒▒-▓▓▓▓
    Thursday, April 08, 2010 7:45 PM
  • This is the example of contiguous space :

Free Space = ░

Partition C: =

Partition D: =

Space that you want to add in the partition C: = ▓

Contiguous space :

Disk ->  ■■■■■▓▓▓▓

NON Contiguous space :

Disk -> ■■■░░□□▓▓▓

░░░░-▒▒▒▒-▓▓▓▓
    Thursday, April 08, 2010 7:53 PM
  • If you used a sector based utility to clone the drive on your old computer, I could see how you ended up with things the way that they are now.

You could try repeating the process again, but this time instead of using a sector based tool, use a file based tool like ImageX which is free from MS.

ImageX is part of the Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK for short) and can be downloaded here:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=136976

Mike N.

Can this tool migrate a disk to a new larger disk. For example, disk 0 is the old disk, disk 1 is the new disk, copy *.* /s then remove disk 0, move disk 1 to disk 0 and boot.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe RaidMax Smilodon, 680W, Asus M2NBP-VM CSM, AMD X2 4200+, 2GB DDR2-800, HD2400 Pro, more details on my site, need a new boot disk, existing one is 5 years old
    Friday, April 09, 2010 12:17 AM
  • Imagex creates these file types known as WIM files.  Basically you could say that they are most like a ZIP file of an OS. 

It's a little more involved than an XCopy process...because you've got to generally boot your computer into WinPE (so that the base OS is not active) then capture the WIM file...then when you deploy it you've got to again start from WinPE and then format out the disk before you apply the WIM.

But...if you do all of that...then YES you absolutely can migrate the entire contents of one hard-drive onto a larger sized disk.

Mike...
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 4:04 PM