none
What network printer is on what TS port in Windows Virtual PC XPmode

Question

• Is there a way to tell what printer is attached to each TS port in Windows Virtual PC XPmode?

I have a windows 7 machine with 8 network printers and plotters installed. Windows Vitrual PC XPmode is installed to run an old program. It only needs an 8.5x11 laser printer. In XPmode I can add a printer by local install and picking a TS port such as TS001----PRN10, and manually locating the drivers. The problem is, nothing says what printer is on that port. Thru trial and error I can find the right one and delete the wrong tries. There does not appear to be a pattern except that the win7 default printer has been the lowest TS# on the two machines I have set up. Everything seems to be working ok, but is there an easier way? XPmode will not search the network for machines or printers, It only lets me connect to whatever is installed on the win7 machine.

Sunday, July 11, 2010 10:50 PM

Answers

• First, sorry for proposing the above message as the answer, I accidentally clicked the wrong button.

I have the exact same problem with the TS printer mapping. I have 7 host printers and there is no way to determine which TS port on the guest system (XP Mode) is mapped to which printer. This is a major problem.

Luckily, if your printer is a network printer, you can use it with XP Mode (or other virtual machines.) You need to change your network settings for the virtual machine. Look at the network setting for XP Mode, and change Adapter 1 from Shared Networking (NAT) to the name of your host network adapter. This puts your VM in "bridged" mode. It makes your VM a "full citizen" of your local network.

• Marked as answer by TamazingT Sunday, July 18, 2010 12:18 PM
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 7:07 PM

All replies

• It's hard to tell which printer is connected to a TS port, because it can have several printers connect to the same port.

Regarding the network printers in Windows XP Mode, you can configure a network printer for a virtual machine by the steps below:

1.     Navigate to the virtual machine desktop, and log on if necessary. (You will be logged in automatically if you saved the credentials.)

2.     Open Control Panel, and then open Printers.

3.     Click Add Printer. The Add Printer Wizard opens.

4.     On the Local or Network Printer page, select the network printer option and complete the wizard.

If you are running Windows XP as the guest operating system, you must manually install the printer driver for each printer you want to use. The following steps describe this process.

To install a printer driver in Windows XP:

5.     Click Start, and then click Printers and Faxes.

6.     Under Printer Tasks, click Add a printer. The Add Printer Wizard opens.

7.     On the Local or Network Printer page, select Local printer attached to this computer and clear Automatically detect and install my Plug and Play printer.

8.     On the Select a Printer Port page, click the drop-down control and select one of the TS number ports and click Next.

9.     On the Install Printer Software page, select Windows Update or Have Disk and complete the wizard.

To print from a virtual machine:

1.     Navigate to the virtual machine desktop, and log on if necessary. (You will be logged in automatically if you saved the credentials.)

2.     Do one of the following:

a.     From the desktop of the virtual machine, right-click a file and click Print.

b.     Open any application that includes a print option, and then use the print command.

3.     All printers available to the virtual machine are listed. Select a printer, and then click OK.

For more information about Windows XP Mode, please refer to:

Windows Virtual PC Evaluation Guide

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 9:09 AM
  • There appears to be a separate TS port for each of the printers. (8 active TS ports and 8 printers on the Win7 machine)

If there are mutiple printers on one port, how can the right drivers be installed for each?

I did look at the instructions in the Virtual OC Evaluation Guide. The first section didn't work, XPmode would not browse the netwok. The second section is how I added the printers. That was where I had to try adding the drivers to diferent TS ports until the test page printed out of the right printer.

Am I missing something?

• Proposed as answer by bsodz Tuesday, July 13, 2010 6:59 PM
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 12:51 PM
  • First, sorry for proposing the above message as the answer, I accidentally clicked the wrong button.

I have the exact same problem with the TS printer mapping. I have 7 host printers and there is no way to determine which TS port on the guest system (XP Mode) is mapped to which printer. This is a major problem.

Luckily, if your printer is a network printer, you can use it with XP Mode (or other virtual machines.) You need to change your network settings for the virtual machine. Look at the network setting for XP Mode, and change Adapter 1 from Shared Networking (NAT) to the name of your host network adapter. This puts your VM in "bridged" mode. It makes your VM a "full citizen" of your local network.

• Marked as answer by TamazingT Sunday, July 18, 2010 12:18 PM
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 7:07 PM
  • I just had exactly the same issue with my host registered to the company domain, but with the guest (XP Mode) NOT (only in workgroup). Therefore, the trick with the bridge mode suggested by bsodz did not work: I do not have access to the network from XP Mode.

I use XPMode mostly with Office: as I am using AccessDatabaseEngine x64 on the host, I had to uninstall Office 32bits from it, thus I put Office in XP Mode only.

As I only need the default printer of my host, I picked up the lowest TS# as you suggested. I had to download the HP driver and pick up after selecting the lowest TS#. Afterwards, I got 5 printer installed on XPMode, the one I pick up with TS01 and many with TS02... I did not really understand why and how, but anyway, the print is now working. I just take a while before the host reacts to the command...

Friday, October 01, 2010 12:59 PM