none
Disabling a specific Action Center message via script or registry key

Question

• Hello,

First off, I wasn't sure if this should go under the UI section.  Please feel free to move this thread if it is not in the right place.

We've already begun our deployment of Windows 7 RTM and would like to automate the disabling of the "Windows Backup" (and only) messages in the Action Center.  After poking around on Google and other such places where I'd normally find how to script this, or a registry key I can modify, I can't find anything on this.

Does anyone know how to do this, or can point me to a resource that explains where settings for Action Center are stored that can be modified?

Thanks in advance.

Friday, August 21, 2009 8:01 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can modify the "CheckSetting" vaule to turn off "Windows backup"message via regedit. This vaule is located in the following location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Action Center\Checks\{01979c6a-42fa-414c-b8aa-eee2c8202018}.check.100

Copy the following commands and then paste them into the opened Notepad window and rename the file to ABC.reg. After that you can run this reg file to turn off the "Windows backup"message. You need log off and then log in for the change to take effective

======================================
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Action Center\Checks\{01979c6a-42fa-414c-b8aa-eee2c8202018}.check.100]
    "CheckSetting"=hex:01,00,00,00,d0,8c,9d,df,01,15,d1,11,8c,7a,00,c0,4f,c2,97,eb,\
      01,00,00,00,7b,8a,13,3e,1d,fa,cc,45,98,e5,9f,74,07,6a,b9,f7,00,00,00,00,02,\
      00,00,00,00,00,03,66,00,00,c0,00,00,00,10,00,00,00,24,d1,63,66,3f,c0,ce,59,\
      09,16,44,61,37,5f,9d,cd,00,00,00,00,04,80,00,00,a0,00,00,00,10,00,00,00,2c,\
      dc,3e,62,09,68,89,56,82,2d,d1,b0,bb,d2,7b,ff,28,00,00,00,e5,60,5a,81,6d,99,\
      fc,3f,de,96,74,c3,41,3b,ff,ed,be,c3,45,a7,0e,a9,ff,ce,fe,bd,c5,ab,e0,62,9d,\
      15,70,3d,ce,7f,da,15,57,0c,14,00,00,00,58,dc,08,13,42,d3,21,e1,5b,95,41,f9,\
      04,06,94,98,41,17,88,5a

The following article describes how to change the settings for the registry entry in a Windows image.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942817

Added by Forum Moderator:

Warning: While this solution solves the issue or problem, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall the operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk. For more information about modifying the registry, see Microsoft support article 256986.

Thomas Lin
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 5:05 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can modify the "CheckSetting" vaule to turn off "Windows backup"message via regedit. This vaule is located in the following location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Action Center\Checks\{01979c6a-42fa-414c-b8aa-eee2c8202018}.check.100

Copy the following commands and then paste them into the opened Notepad window and rename the file to ABC.reg. After that you can run this reg file to turn off the "Windows backup"message. You need log off and then log in for the change to take effective

======================================
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Action Center\Checks\{01979c6a-42fa-414c-b8aa-eee2c8202018}.check.100]
    "CheckSetting"=hex:01,00,00,00,d0,8c,9d,df,01,15,d1,11,8c,7a,00,c0,4f,c2,97,eb,\
      01,00,00,00,7b,8a,13,3e,1d,fa,cc,45,98,e5,9f,74,07,6a,b9,f7,00,00,00,00,02,\
      00,00,00,00,00,03,66,00,00,c0,00,00,00,10,00,00,00,24,d1,63,66,3f,c0,ce,59,\
      09,16,44,61,37,5f,9d,cd,00,00,00,00,04,80,00,00,a0,00,00,00,10,00,00,00,2c,\
      dc,3e,62,09,68,89,56,82,2d,d1,b0,bb,d2,7b,ff,28,00,00,00,e5,60,5a,81,6d,99,\
      fc,3f,de,96,74,c3,41,3b,ff,ed,be,c3,45,a7,0e,a9,ff,ce,fe,bd,c5,ab,e0,62,9d,\
      15,70,3d,ce,7f,da,15,57,0c,14,00,00,00,58,dc,08,13,42,d3,21,e1,5b,95,41,f9,\
      04,06,94,98,41,17,88,5a

The following article describes how to change the settings for the registry entry in a Windows image.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942817

Added by Forum Moderator:

Warning: While this solution solves the issue or problem, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall the operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk. For more information about modifying the registry, see Microsoft support article 256986.

Thomas Lin
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 5:05 AM
  • Hi Thomas,

I'm trying to do something similar and struggling for a while with no success. I want to clear the last backup information from action center. I manage to clear the backup information in backup and restore applet but the action center it's still showing the last backup time stamp and result. I've tried all the registry modification I can think off and no luck. I also cleared the windows backup logs. Can you please help me?

Thanks a lot,
    Alex.

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 1:55 PM
  • Hi Alex,

I tried that solution from Thomas too, but it does not work.

I noticed that each system has different registry data under those CheckSettings value, so the data is probably machine specific (crypted?) and cannot be modified with a single setting.

Of course this is good so that no unwanted program could turn off these checks with a simple registry change, but this is not good for system administrators ...

I'm still searching but I haven't found any solution yet ...

Regards,

Jari
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 10:31 AM
  • Is there a reg hack to turn off action centre completely, for all users?
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 10:12 AM
  • [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "HideSCAHealth"=dword:00000001

or

Gpedit.msc
    "User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Start Menu and Taskbar -> Remove the Action Center icon"
    • Proposed as answer by Smulpuru Tuesday, June 15, 2010 3:55 PM
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 3:55 PM
  • Hi Thomas,

I tried this option and works for a Local User. My Problem is when I create a new user, the registry values are getting reverted to original values and the Check boxes are getting enabled. I am not able to save the registry Values(to Un-check).

Any Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Thursday, May 12, 2011 7:57 PM
  • NayagaNS:

A new user's profile is set up the first time they log into a computer.  As the user account folder is set up, defaults are loaded from the "C:\Programs and Settings\Default User" folder (in Windows XP) or the "C:\Users\Default" folder (in Vista and Windows 7).  In order to see these folders in explorer, you need to enable the "Show Hidden Files and Folders" option under the "View" tab in the "Folder Option" settings.

Now, inside the "Default User / Default" folder, there is a primary registry data file called "NTUSER.DAT" (the DAT file, NOT the text file which carries the same name) from which all default registry settings are loaded upon the creation of a new user profile.  In order to make registry changes which apply to all users, THIS file has to be modified. 

(Standard disclaimers apply about modifying registry settings...always make a backup...yada, yada, yada...)

In Windows XP, you can view and access this file just by enabling the "Show Hidden Files and Folders" option in the "Folder Option" settings.  But in Vista and Win7, you'll need to also un-check the "Hide Protected Operating System Files" option to see and access the file.  Once you can see and view the file, open regedit (in admin mode if in Vista or 7), select "HKEY_USERS", then go to "File" --> "Load Hive", navigate to the "Default User / Default" folder, and load the "NTUSER.DAT" file.  If you did things correctly and selected the correct file, it will ask you for a name for the key.  Pick anything..."Default", "Foo"...the name doesn't matter.

Within this key, you can make registry settings that will apply to ALL new users (old users will have to have their cached profiles deleted for the changes to take effect), and will always apply to a user by default unless there is a domain policy which overides it.  This is how I disabled the action center button for all users (in addition to countless other customizations for IE9, WMP12, and Personalization features).  Just BE SURE, when you are done but before you close regedit, to unload the hive by clicking on the hive you loaded under HKEY_USERS, and selecting "File" --> "Unload Hive".  (Failure to do so will result in lots of error messages when trying to create user profiles for new users.)

Friday, August 26, 2011 4:58 PM
  • Hi, in building a Windows 7 image, I need to apply the above registry change ("CheckSetting" vaule to turn off "Windows backup"message ) for all users using a vb script during the image deployment. I wrote a VB script to apply it. However, it only took effect on the current user (i.e. the local administrator) but not the new users. Any script template can be provided or any advice on how to do it  ?

Thanks & regards

In fact I need to write a script to automate the action that is to uncheck the box of Windows Backup under the maintenance messages in Action Centre and this has to apply to all users. However,  the script failed. It did not apply to both current user as well as All users (using the default user profile).

Does creating the following registry key have the same effect as unchecking the box for Windows Backup maintenance message ?

Please advice ?

Thanks & regards

• Edited by Shirmonchan Saturday, March 24, 2012 9:49 PM
    Saturday, March 24, 2012 3:20 AM
  • Hi Thomas,

I'm trying to do something similar and struggling for a while with no success. I want to clear the last backup information from action center. I manage to clear the backup information in backup and restore applet but the action center it's still showing the last backup time stamp and result. I've tried all the registry modification I can think off and no luck. I also cleared the windows backup logs. Can you please help me?

Thanks a lot,
    Alex.

You must add this registry key on the local machine

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb891959(v=vs.85).aspx#disablemonitoring

This key must be set before your user open a session => Machine GPP

Guillaume DESFARGES - MVP Setup and Deployment - http://www.forum-microsoft.org

Thursday, October 04, 2012 1:53 PM
  • NayagaNS:

A new user's profile is set up the first time they log into a computer.  As the user account folder is set up, defaults are loaded from the "C:\Programs and Settings\Default User" folder (in Windows XP) or the "C:\Users\Default" folder (in Vista and Windows 7).  In order to see these folders in explorer, you need to enable the "Show Hidden Files and Folders" option under the "View" tab in the "Folder Option" settings.

Now, inside the "Default User / Default" folder, there is a primary registry data file called "NTUSER.DAT" (the DAT file, NOT the text file which carries the same name) from which all default registry settings are loaded upon the creation of a new user profile.  In order to make registry changes which apply to all users, THIS file has to be modified. 

(Standard disclaimers apply about modifying registry settings...always make a backup...yada, yada, yada...)

In Windows XP, you can view and access this file just by enabling the "Show Hidden Files and Folders" option in the "Folder Option" settings.  But in Vista and Win7, you'll need to also un-check the "Hide Protected Operating System Files" option to see and access the file.  Once you can see and view the file, open regedit (in admin mode if in Vista or 7), select "HKEY_USERS", then go to "File" --> "Load Hive", navigate to the "Default User / Default" folder, and load the "NTUSER.DAT" file.  If you did things correctly and selected the correct file, it will ask you for a name for the key.  Pick anything..."Default", "Foo"...the name doesn't matter.

Within this key, you can make registry settings that will apply to ALL new users (old users will have to have their cached profiles deleted for the changes to take effect), and will always apply to a user by default unless there is a domain policy which overides it.  This is how I disabled the action center button for all users (in addition to countless other customizations for IE9, WMP12, and Personalization features).  Just BE SURE, when you are done but before you close regedit, to unload the hive by clicking on the hive you loaded under HKEY_USERS, and selecting "File" --> "Unload Hive".  (Failure to do so will result in lots of error messages when trying to create user profiles for new users.)

Hi Laporte or whoever can answer,

After loading the Hive, how do I make and save the registry changes into the new key? For example, I want to set Customer Experience Improvement to "No" and uncheck all the Maintenance Message checkboxes that appear under the Action Center. Should I first export those keys from HKCU then import them into the new key?  I am also assuming that I will need to save the new key that I am adding to the Hive, correct?  You stated that "Just BE SURE, when you are done but before you close regedit, to unload the hive by clicking on the hive you loaded under HKEY_USERS."  Do you mean unloading the newly added key or .DEFAULT?  I would really appreciate your assistant or a step by step example.

Thanks 

Friday, April 12, 2013 3:33 AM