none
Where do you change wireless encryption key number

Question

• Wireless usb adapter is working and can see the networks, but my security key set to something other than Windows # 1 default setting, and I can't find in Windows where to tell it to look at the other key settings. The box opens that asks for the key number, but does not offer an option to select which set of keys to use, and I can't seem to find one anywhere
    Friday, May 08, 2009 5:57 PM

Answers

• You can change the key number within the router setup (192.168.n.n) or remove the existing connection then set it up again as follows:

1 - Go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Network and Sharing Center > Manage Wireless Networks (in the left pane) and right-click the one you want to Remove.

2 - To connect to a network go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Network and Sharing Center > Set up a new connection or network > Manually Connect to a Wireless Network > Next. Type in the Network Name (SSID), select Security Type and type in the key. You may also want to tick ‘Start this connection automatically’ and ‘Connect even if the network is not……‘ > Next.

• Edited by BurrWalnut Friday, May 08, 2009 7:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by Nick FV Monday, May 25, 2009 9:50 PM
    Friday, May 08, 2009 7:02 PM

All replies

• You can change the key number within the router setup (192.168.n.n) or remove the existing connection then set it up again as follows:

1 - Go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Network and Sharing Center > Manage Wireless Networks (in the left pane) and right-click the one you want to Remove.

2 - To connect to a network go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Network and Sharing Center > Set up a new connection or network > Manually Connect to a Wireless Network > Next. Type in the Network Name (SSID), select Security Type and type in the key. You may also want to tick ‘Start this connection automatically’ and ‘Connect even if the network is not……‘ > Next.

• Edited by BurrWalnut Friday, May 08, 2009 7:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by Nick FV Monday, May 25, 2009 9:50 PM
    Friday, May 08, 2009 7:02 PM
  • Thanks, I found it with your help. I had it set up in Windows 7 beta, but couldn't for the life of me find it after installing the RC. Seems like it would be a good idea if the drop down for which set of keys to use came up in the same box when it asks for your key number at the task bar
    Saturday, May 09, 2009 9:38 PM
  • yeah it sounds like you know a lot about this stuff. I can get on my Wi-Fi on my computer because it's remembered in there but when I try to connect to my iphone it says wrong password so how do i find the security questions, reset emails. anything or how do i change it??? Please help       

THanks so much,

Christy!!

Tuesday, October 09, 2012 6:39 AM
  • yeah it sounds like you know a lot about this stuff. I can get on my Wi-Fi on my computer because it's remembered in there but when I try to connect to my iphone it says wrong password so how do i find the security questions, reset emails. anything or how do i change it??? Please help       

THanks so much,

Christy!!

Christy

Bear in mind that passwords are case-sensitive, i.e. Abcdef is not the same password as abcdef.

Tuesday, October 09, 2012 7:13 AM