none
Quickbooks PDF converter won't work with Windows 7

Question

• I upgraded from Vista 64-bit to Windows 7 64-bit.  Now I can't email invoices or save my invoices via "Save as PDF" in Quickbooks.  I've researched it online and it seems to be a known problem with other W7 but no solution from QBs.  Found some user solutions about PDF converter problem but none work.

Was working fine before upgrade.  Here's the Quickbooks error I get:

Printer not activated, error code - 20;

then I press Ok and get:

Could not print to printer.  Check your printer selection.  Printing may have been canceled from another program.

then I press Ok and get:

Problem
    Your forms were not sent b/c QB could not create the necessary PDF files.
    Solution
    You should be able to solve this problem by exiting and restarting QB, and then sedning the forms again.  For more information, click Help.

Thanks so much in advance for your help!
    Sunday, November 08, 2009 8:52 PM

Answers

• Hi Sculley,

Thanks for the post.

Since Quickbooks was working fine in Vista,it should also work reliably on Windows 7.

However, you may like to follow these steps.

1. Right click on your quickbooks startup exe file and open properties.
    2. On the compatibility tab select compatibility mode and run this program in compatibility mode for Windows Vista (Service Pack 2).
    3. On privilege level check "Run this program as administrator". Press Apply/OK to close properties.
    4. Start - Devices and Printers - add a printer - add a local printer - create a new port - local port and name it QBD_PDF.
    5. Choose to install AMYUNI Technologies - Amyuni Document Converter 300 (click windows update button if it is not on your list).
    6. If windows detects you already have a driver then choose to replace current driver. Name the printer Quickbooks PDF Converter - do not share printer - do NOT set as default printer. Finish
    7. Start - Devices and Printers - Right click your QB printer, choose Printer - Properties and go to the advanced tab.
    8. Remove any check marks in the 4 items with square boxes next to them (bottom part of screen) then select "Print directly to the printer" Hit OK to close the window.
    9. Restart you computer and open Quickbooks. Open File - Printer Setup and make sure Quickbooks PDF Converter is the selected printer for any PDF operation you use    frequently. (on rare occasions you may not see the Quickbooks PDF Converter on the list, reboot again and you will get it).

You can now perform PDF operations in Quickbooks (works for 32 and 64 bit Windows 7 RC)

You may also like to go through
    http://fardonwebhosting.com/blog/?p=113
    http://blog.neuroncomputers.com/2008/10/18/quickbooks-pro-2009-windows-vista-64-bit-printing-problem/

Hope this helps

NOTE - Disclaimer

The links in this message may lead to third-party Web sites. Microsoft provides third-party resources to help you find customer service and/or technical support resources. Information at these sites may change without notice. Microsoft is not responsible for the content at any third-party Web sites and does not guarantee the accuracy of third-party information.

========= "Mark this as answer,if it really helps" =========
    • Proposed as answer by Shanadas Wednesday, November 11, 2009 11:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Friday, November 20, 2009 2:49 AM
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 11:17 PM

All replies

• I am not sure about quickbooks but you can use a free software called Bullzip printer. It converts any printable item into a pdf.

Bullzip PDF Printer

• Proposed as answer by Ayush M Monday, November 09, 2009 5:30 AM
    Monday, November 09, 2009 5:18 AM
  • Thanks!  I tried that (I have Adobe Professional) and it worked!  But....I'd still like the QBs function to work.  My understanding was that MS guaranteed that W7 would work with all software.  No?  I was hoping MS could help me make it work in QBs.
    Monday, November 09, 2009 12:18 PM
  • Thanks!  I tried that (I have Adobe Professional) and it worked!  But....I'd still like the QBs function to work.  My understanding was that MS guaranteed that W7 would work with all software.  No?  I was hoping MS could help me make it work in QBs.
    im having the same issues. never had a problem until i upgraded to windows 7. anyone?? Bueller??

Monday, November 09, 2009 4:30 PM
  • I am having the exact same problem.  Upgraded over the weekend and can't email my invoices. Now Running W7_64.  Tried changing permissions to include write within windir, WOW64 folder and 32 folder.  Still doesn't work.  Application is latest update of 2009 Pro. So, two options I've heard of: intuit support may have a patch and 2, upgrade to 2010.  My version of Pro does include 2010 upgrade, so its a matter of a week or two until I receive the disc.  In the meantime, any suggestions would be great!
    • Proposed as answer by Dash3172 Wednesday, November 11, 2009 5:31 PM
    Monday, November 09, 2009 8:37 PM
  • I upgraded from Vista 64-bit to Windows 7 64-bit.  Now I can't email invoices or save my invoices via "Save as PDF" in Quickbooks.  I've researched it online and it seems to be a known problem with other W7 but no solution from QBs.  Found some user solutions about PDF converter problem but none work.

Was working fine before upgrade.  Here's the Quickbooks error I get:

Printer not activated, error code - 20;

then I press Ok and get:

Could not print to printer.  Check your printer selection.  Printing may have been canceled from another program.

then I press Ok and get:

Problem
    Your forms were not sent b/c QB could not create the necessary PDF files.
    Solution
    You should be able to solve this problem by exiting and restarting QB, and then sedning the forms again.  For more information, click Help.

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

I have the same issue. I have spent at least 4 hours a night on the phone Quickbooks.  I finally was escalated to Level 3 support which could not resolve the issues.  I am at my wits end and cannot take any more.  I upgraded to Windows  7 Ultimate and Quickbooks PRO 2010.  Quickbooks assured me that when I spent the money for the upgade it would be corrected.  I NEED HELP NOW.  My business is suffering since I cannot email any documents to customers. 
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 5:33 PM
  • I am not sure about quickbooks but you can use a free software called Bullzip printer. It converts any printable item into a pdf.

Bullzip PDF Printer

This works but it will not allow me to email them.  Any suggestions
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 5:34 PM
  • I upgraded to PRO 2010 and it didn't correct the issue
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 5:35 PM
  • Hi Dash,

Have you tried and of these solutions: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprogeneral/thread/fa114c14-43b9-4095-8918-997e2bffd7c7?  I accidentally posted this Q twice and got very different responses.  Also, a friend showed me that I could at least do Print > and choose the Adobe Printer so I can attach the PDF to emails to send to clients.  You can get a free Adobe PDF maker: http://sourceforge.net/.

Let me know if any of that helps. 
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 6:25 PM
  • Hi Sculley,

Thanks for the post.

Since Quickbooks was working fine in Vista,it should also work reliably on Windows 7.

2. On the compatibility tab select compatibility mode and run this program in compatibility mode for Windows Vista (Service Pack 2).
    3. On privilege level check "Run this program as administrator". Press Apply/OK to close properties.
    4. Start - Devices and Printers - add a printer - add a local printer - create a new port - local port and name it QBD_PDF.
    5. Choose to install AMYUNI Technologies - Amyuni Document Converter 300 (click windows update button if it is not on your list).
    6. If windows detects you already have a driver then choose to replace current driver. Name the printer Quickbooks PDF Converter - do not share printer - do NOT set as default printer. Finish
    7. Start - Devices and Printers - Right click your QB printer, choose Printer - Properties and go to the advanced tab.
    8. Remove any check marks in the 4 items with square boxes next to them (bottom part of screen) then select "Print directly to the printer" Hit OK to close the window.
    9. Restart you computer and open Quickbooks. Open File - Printer Setup and make sure Quickbooks PDF Converter is the selected printer for any PDF operation you use    frequently. (on rare occasions you may not see the Quickbooks PDF Converter on the list, reboot again and you will get it).

You can now perform PDF operations in Quickbooks (works for 32 and 64 bit Windows 7 RC)

http://blog.neuroncomputers.com/2008/10/18/quickbooks-pro-2009-windows-vista-64-bit-printing-problem/

Hope this helps

NOTE - Disclaimer

The links in this message may lead to third-party Web sites. Microsoft provides third-party resources to help you find customer service and/or technical support resources. Information at these sites may change without notice. Microsoft is not responsible for the content at any third-party Web sites and does not guarantee the accuracy of third-party information.

• Proposed as answer by Shanadas Wednesday, November 11, 2009 11:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Friday, November 20, 2009 2:49 AM
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 11:17 PM
  • YEAH!! This worked!!!!!!!! Thank you!!! I'm running Windows 7, Quickbooks retail edition 2008. Hugs and Kisses!!

Monday, November 30, 2009 9:36 PM
  • This worked for me! Thanks for the solutions.

I followed the instruction step by step and it solved my problem.

Window 7 64x Quickbooks 2009 Premiere
    Tuesday, December 01, 2009 6:37 PM
  • Thank Ayush M.  This Bullzip PDF Printer download solved my Quickbooks Pro 2009 issue with emailing invoices and another issue I was having printing checks for a client who uses Quickbooks Online. 
    Thursday, December 03, 2009 8:47 PM
  • #1-#3 fixed it for me.  Thanks so much.  Quickbooks told me the only way to fix it was to buy Pro 2010. 
    Thursday, December 03, 2009 11:21 PM
  • I am having the same problem with QuickBooks PDF Converter since I upgraded to Windows 7 from Vista 64. I have QuickBooks Pro 2008.
    Monday, December 21, 2009 5:18 PM
  • Ok, I lied.  I followed the instructions to fix it and I was pumped.  Then, for some reason, it has stopped working again.  Now, I can't get it fixed again.  Weird.  Help!!!!!
    Monday, December 21, 2009 9:41 PM
  • I tried Shanadas fix on a new computer loaded with Win 7 and QB2009 Pro.  Worked for one day then quit.  All Intuit wants to do is sell a new upgrade and they will not guarantee a cure.  I'm stumped.  PDF converter worked fine on old computer with Win XP SP3 and same QB program.

Any more ideas???
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 12:34 AM
  • I tried this fix and it didn't work at all.  Wondering if there are any other ideas.  I tried other PDF converters and they didn't work either.  This is particularly frustrating because the compatibility website says there are no issues....but there are
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 12:28 AM
  • I tried the above with no luck.  But was able to get it to work by right mouse clicking on the link and then clicking on "Run as Administrator".
    • Proposed as answer by l8rgator Wednesday, December 30, 2009 8:00 PM
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 2:17 AM
  • 'Run as administrator' finally worked for me also.  Is there a way to set up the shortcut to always do that?
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 8:00 PM
  • Anthony2010 , what link are you referring to when you say you right clicked on the link?
    Friday, January 01, 2010 3:19 AM
  • How do you find the bit number - QB is trying to say that my windows 7 is 34 bit????
    Monday, January 04, 2010 10:41 PM
  • I followed the steps given by Shanadas, however, the issue recurs if we restart the computer. I guess this is a problem with Amyuni that has compatibility issues with 64-bit.
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 7:33 PM
  • QB Tier 2 shared this steps to me.. This worked for me and I hope this would help you as well...

1. With QuickBooks closed …
    Note : You may need to reboot if certain PDF elements are locked. If so, r eboot the computer and do not open QuickBooks.
    2. I n Windows , Go to Start > Devices & Printers.
    3. Click once on the QuickBooks PDF Converter icon.
    4. Using the links in the menu bar, click on Remove device.
    5. Click once on any installed printer.
    6. Using the links in the menu bar, click on Print server properties.
    7. Click on the Drivers tab.
    8. Select and remove all Amyuni Document Converters. If asked, choose “Remove driver and driver package.”
    9. Close out of the Print server properties window.
    10. Right-click on the Start button and choose: Open Windows Explorer.
    11. Browse to the install.exe application in the QuickBooks installation directory:
    C:\ Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks 2010 (or whatever the folder is called) \install.exe.
    12. Double-click on install.exe . This will install the PDF converter to the Devices & Printers screen.
    13. Open a QuickBooks Sample or test company file then o pen an existing invoice . Save it as a PDF to your Desktop: File > Save as PDF.

• Proposed as answer by QBTier2 Friday, January 08, 2010 1:04 AM
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 7:41 PM
  • 1. With QuickBooks closed … 
    Note : You may need to reboot if certain PDF elements are locked. If so, r eboot the computer and do not open QuickBooks. 
    2. I n Windows , Go to Start > Devices & Printers. 
    3. Click once on the QuickBooks PDF Converter icon. 
    4. Using the links in the menu bar, click on Remove device. 
    5. Click once on any installed printer. 
    6. Using the links in the menu bar, click on Print server properties. 
    7. Click on the Drivers tab. 
    8. Select and remove all Amyuni Document Converters. If asked, choose “Remove driver and driver package.” 
    9. after deleting the QuickBooks PDF Converter 3.0 continue with the following steps
    • goto C:\Program files(x86)\intuit\QuickBooks 2009 or 2010
    • look for a file qbwpr32.DLL and rename it to qbwpr32.OLD
    • after that download the updated qbwpr32.DLL from this link <https://www.quickbase.com/up/bevw65twm/g/rc/eg/va/qbwpr32.DLL>
    • save the file to the same location C:\Program files(x86)\intuit\QuickBooks 2009 or 2010
    10. open up quickbooks and try to save any form as a pdf
    11. if it save it successfully then you can go ahead and try the emailing

Note: this steps is only applicable to Quickbooks 9.0 r9p and later and Quickbooks10.0 r4P and later on a 64 Bit Operating system

check this Link
    http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/pages/knowledgebasearticle/898690
    Friday, January 08, 2010 1:11 AM
  • hello,

I tried to fix Quickbooks 8.0  to work on windows 7. per the directions above, unless i did something wrong this did not help me.
    can anyone help me with this?

Thank you,

Nashira
    Friday, February 05, 2010 8:20 PM
  • Hi Sculley,

Thanks for the post.

Hope this helps

NOTE - Disclaimer

This worked like a charm for me. QB 2010, Win 7.  This is the biggest relief. Thank you so much sir!
    Monday, February 15, 2010 5:26 PM
  • i spoke too soon. i went into printers and devices and noticed the new converter was set to default any way, so i made my epson defeault, and back to same issue - cannot email pdfs from QB 2010. I get an error:

"Could not print to printer. Check your printer selection.

Printing may have been canceled from another program."

Looks like an irreconcilable bug in QB. Guess i'll be looking for new software. Emailing invoices is a must for my business. Looks like Intuit has a lot of bugs to work out.
    Monday, February 15, 2010 5:47 PM
  • it seems the trick is deleting the qb converter in printers when this problem occurs. seems qb has a big problem here. i followed QBTier2 's insctructions the second time and its working now.

i also found that rubbing your belly counter clockwise and hopping on your left foot while sending pdfs in qb works as well.
    Monday, February 15, 2010 6:41 PM
  • I tried the steps provided by shanadas but I'm getting an error from quickbooks saying

"windows can't install amyuni pdf converter 2.07 kenral mode..." and that's it's not compatible with windows 7 32 bit.

Any thoughts?

Friday, April 16, 2010 2:43 AM
  • I tried the steps provided by shanadas but I'm getting an error from quickbooks saying

"windows can't install amyuni pdf converter 2.07 kenral mode..." and that's it's not compatible with windows 7 32 bit.

Any thoughts?

The ONLY solution to emailing invoices in Outlook from QB is to first close down Outlook, then email the invoice. Kind of a pain, but at least it works until the geniuses at QB finally admit their stuff isn't working and fix it.
    Saturday, April 17, 2010 3:28 PM
  • I quite using outlook and switched to Thunderbird, way better ;)  But maybe not for this situation, I off to create a database in Access for all this :)
    Sunday, April 18, 2010 1:07 AM
  • I have Win 7 64bit, QB 2010 Pro and had all the problems listed above, tried the Shanadas fix first with no luck.  Followed the directions in QBTier2 where you download a new DLL file and it worked perfect.  I just did the change so I write back if it stops working...
    Saturday, April 24, 2010 7:17 PM
  • If I am not mistaken, you can export a quickbooks file to an Excel spreadsheet if I'm not mistaken (or another spreadsheet program).

Then you should be able to "print" the spreadsheet (.xlsx) document using the "PDF complete" printer inherent with Windows 7 (which technically changes it to a PDF file).

Then you should be able to send it normally as at attachment with whatever mail system you are using (providing the rules from said provider are not blocking attachments etc)

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 9:00 PM
  • Download Cuter PDF Writer.  Nothing helped with my Win7 64bit home/ QB 2009 premium.  With Cute PDF you "print" to the Cute PDF "printer" and tada- you get a PDF.  Works every time, simply.  Seems to work faster than Adobe too.  Next step- burn (as in torch) your copy of QB and advise all your friends to steer clear.  Or sell it, whichever.
    • Edited by Rsdeepsea Wednesday, November 17, 2010 7:34 AM clarity
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 7:33 AM
  • Intuit only supports QuickBooks 2010 and 2011 editions on Windows 7.
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 8:48 PM
  • I am also having the same problem - does anyone have a soluction.  I have a medium size database and the computer hangs when I do a reconciliation, even when I try to create an adjustment note.  I cant email PDF files and have to save the file as an excel and email the data through my own excel software.

I rang Quicken and the Tech said leave it run as long as it takes - but it had been running already for 5 hours with no response - he said let it run.  This is my bookkeeping business and I am unable to do too much.  It doesn't ever respond - I have to abort!

Anyone got any suggested help?  (Apart from going to MYOB instead as it works fine in Windows 7)

Thursday, February 10, 2011 3:12 AM
  • QB will not support windows 7 for older style QB like mine which is 2009 pro I have to upgrade to the lateste QB and as I have it set up on 2 computers the cost would be £400.00 approx!! So I have found a way round this and it has now been running for 2 months with no problem what soever, Oh and they dont do a minor upgrade or bug fix either

Download http://www.primopdf.com/index.aspx primo print package and include it on your network with your usual printer when you go to print with a QB invoice on the drop down bar select primo print and just press the print button this brigs up a create PDF button which I then save and sen by email.

Yes it take 3 mins longer and and I have to press 3 extra buttons but its saved me £400.00 and I shall be looking to change from QB to sage in the long terms and have told QB as much.

:-))

• Edited by Darmond Wednesday, March 09, 2011 2:11 PM bad spelling lol
    Wednesday, March 09, 2011 2:09 PM
  • Thank you works beautifully, (knock on wood)

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 8:25 PM
  • I just want to say THANK YOU for your post.  My issue was resolved almost immediately! One minor change, it made Quickbooks run in Windows XP compatibility mode versus Vista...not sure why, but everything is WORKING perfectly! I spent several hours on the phone with Intuit yesterday.  They took over my PC and made things much worse than they were.  My only issue was being unable to save PDFs and send forms in Quickbooks Pro 2010 after functioning correctly for over a year.  Of course on initial install we had to do some crazy fix and it worked...for a while.  By the time I got off of the phone because it was an hour past COB, nothing worked as far as printing on my pc. I had to uninstall and re-install my printer(UGH!).  Needless to say I did a little more internet digging and found your post before calling them back since my case was fed up the food chain to the next tier of support, I could feel more hours of dread coming. 

They can call me back as far as I am concerned and I will let them know that they need to hire you as a technical support consultant!  What a waste of my life dealing with them.

Again, thank you, thank you, thank you!! This post has made my day!

Candice Barnhart

Moncks Corner, SC

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 3:47 PM
  • Shandas! You rock! I folowed your instructions with one small exception.  I ran in XP SP3 mode. Also, when trying to add the Quickbooks PDF Converter printer, it would fail because there was already one there.  I deleted it, but it kept reappearing automagically.  So, I right-clicked on it, clicked on printer properties and renamed it.  The problem went away and now i am happily, happily emailing. Thanks
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 9:27 PM
  • I installed Quickbooks Pro 2008 on  Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit O/S but was having problems with emailing invoices and remittances advice's.  This was because the program was having problems with creating PDF files. I was getting the error Printer Not activated error -20.
    It appears that you need to download and run one or two patches from intuit.
    • And if your running 64bit O/S with OneNote you also need to apply a second fix PDF-ONENOTE-FIX.EXE
    The full Intuit support page for these fixes is here http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/Articles/SLN40733
    After running these patches everything works perfect............However after rebooting the PC the problem comes back again and I have to re-run the PDF-ONENOTE-FIX.EXE patch again to get it working.
    I have tried removing all the associated printer drivers and quickbooks and doing a fresh install but the problem still reoccurs. If I could just make the patches stick......
    Has anyone had this issue and is it possible to make the patches stay working after a reboot?
    Sunday, October 30, 2011 5:37 AM
  • Major "Props!" to RLanc.

Solved my issue.  Works great!

Thanks!

Microsoft Managed Services provider.
    Monday, January 16, 2012 11:18 PM
  • thank goodness, Shanadas, your posts worked for me... its been days, i can't make it and surfing for answers, but this one now works very well. 
    Friday, February 03, 2012 1:32 PM
  • I've followed the instruction on the following site and it works great.

http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/Articles/SLN40733

Friday, May 04, 2012 10:09 AM
  • Excellent, your direction was clear and direct. Just one tiny option "printing directly to printer" generate error but spool document with the option to start immediate ly works when you are trying to generate (send) invoice via email (oulook client).

Thanks again for your directives.

Femi
    Smarthost Design Technologies LLC
    Http://smarthostdesign.com

Smarthost Design Technologies LLC

• Edited by FD1 Tuesday, May 29, 2012 11:21 AM
    Tuesday, May 29, 2012 11:21 AM
  • I am having the exact same problem.  Upgraded over the weekend and can't email my invoices. Now Running W7_64.  Tried changing permissions to include write within windir, WOW64 folder and 32 folder.  Still doesn't work.  Application is latest update of 2009 Pro. So, two options I've heard of: intuit support may have a patch and 2, upgrade to 2010.  My version of Pro does include 2010 upgrade, so its a matter of a week or two until I receive the disc.  In the meantime, any suggestions would be great!
    Why don' you try Expert PDF convert software. Expert PDF Software is an efficient software that is especially designed for windows based operating system that can easily convert, create or customize and view PDF documents. It provides best solution to easily convert word, text , xls any other document easily in PDF format in fraction of seconds.

For more info : http://www.expertpdf.org/
    Monday, September 03, 2012 6:38 AM
  • Confirmed working fix for windows 8 as well.

TY

Saturday, November 24, 2012 3:59 AM
  • I also followed this link and everything is working....FINALLY!!!!!  I have windows 7 with QB's 2009 Pro.

• Edited by mh3778 Monday, November 26, 2012 9:14 PM
    Monday, November 26, 2012 9:13 PM
  • I am running  Quickbooks Plus 2011-12 R2 on Windows 7 on a Lenovo Desktop, I am also running the same Quickbooks on Windows 7 on an acer Travelmate Laptop. I am having the issue of the Pdf printing on the Lenovo but not the Acer! Everything is set up the same. I have tried all the fixes on this page plus a few others i have found but nothing is working......... Does anyone have a fix for this yet ? 
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 6:01 AM
  • THIS WORKED FOR ME, I ONLY HAD TO DO STEPS 1-3 TO EMAIL AN INVOICE. I WILL TRY PRINTING TOMORROW. I AM SO GLAD I TRIED THIS. I RECENTLY UPGRADED TO WINDOWS 8 AND EVER SINCE, I HAVE BEEN GETTING ERROR CODE -20. I AM BEYOND HAPPY RIGHT NOW THAT I CAN FINALLY EMAIL MY CLIENTS! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 7:46 AM