none
Windows Update Error 80070020

Question

• I keep getting the same error with Windows Update (I have Windows Vista, by the way). I have it set to automatic updating, but every time it attempts to update KB975929, it fails. It gives me the error code 80070020. I've tried restarting the computer and I've tried putting it into safe mode, then update it from there. The help I viewed by Microsoft online that stated to do this specifically, and yet, Windows Update WILL NOT open with safe mode. I've also tried using a Microsoft Fix It tool, where it can diagnose and fix these type of problems, but it said no problems were detected. No matter what I do, I still get a failed attempt at the Windows update, giving me the same error code 80070020.

Please Help!

Saturday, January 26, 2013 5:33 AM

All replies

• To decode 0x80070020. The 0x means it's a hexadecimal number, the 8 means error, the first 7 means it a windows error, and the rest of the number, 20, is the actual Windows error.

To look up the error we need it in decimal format. Start Calculator (Start - All Programs - Accessories - Calculator) and choose View menu - Scientific, then View menu - Hex. Enter 20. Then View menu -  Decimal. It will say 32.

Start a Command Prompt (Start - All Programs - Accessories - Command Prompt) and type

net helpmsg 32

and it will say

The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

Use Notepad to search for FATAL and 80070020 in C:\Windows\Windowsupdate.log.

--
    --
    "momoluvr11" wrote in message news:2c0bd2be-1668-48f7-bbf7-e2af13415cd0...

I keep getting the same error with Windows Update (I have Windows Vista, by the way). I have it set to automatic updating, but every time it attempts to update KB975929, it fails. It gives me the error code 80070020. I've tried restarting the computer and I've tried putting it into safe mode, then update it from there. The help I viewed by Microsoft online that stated to do this specifically, and yet, Windows Update WILL NOT open with safe mode. I've also tried using a Microsoft Fix It tool, where it can diagnose and fix these type of problems, but it said no problems were detected. No matter what I do, I still get a failed attempt at the Windows update, giving me the same error code 80070020.

Please Help!

David Candy
    Saturday, January 26, 2013 9:50 AM