none
Vista glitch--screen and icon size always resizing themselves

Question

• How do I solve this?  Every time I open up an explorer window (My Documents, My Computer, etc) the icons revert from medium size to extra large ALL THE TIME, and I cannot keep a window sized to the dimensions I want them to stay.  It only does this when I break in Vista after a reformat, and its been consistent with nearly all the times I have had to reinstall Vista. 

My specs (even though irrelevant):
    i7 920 @ 3.8ghz & Gigabyte EX58
    6gb Corsair XMS3
    GTX260 Core 216

I dont have hair to pull out and my cat is getting pretty upset at me.  Any ideas?

for every wise man there are 300 retards that follow
    Friday, March 27, 2009 4:55 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Before going any further, I wonder whether you installed some update packages or software on the computer recently. If so, you might try restoring the system back to the point before the issue occurred.

System Restore

1) Before we start, please close all open files and close all open programs.

2) Click Start; click All Programs; click Accessories; click System Tools; and click System Restore. The System Restore user interface should appear.

3) Click Next.

4) From the restore points available, select an appropriate restore point before problem occurs and click Next.

5) Click Next again. The restore process will run and your system will restart automatically.

For more information, please refer to the article below:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/9f6d755a-74bb-4a7d-a625-d762dd8e79e51033.mspx

If the problem persists, please continue with the instructions below to narrow down the issue.

Upgrade the display card driver (compatible with Vista) to the latest version.

Start Windows in Clean Boot mode

Note: You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to complete this procedure.

1) Click Start.

2) Copy and paste "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and click Enter.

3) Switch to Services tab and then Check Hide All Microsoft Services.

4) Click Disable All.

5) Switch to the Startup tab and then Click Disable all.

6) Click OK.

7) Click Restart to restart the computer and test the issue.

Good Luck!

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Thursday, April 09, 2009 10:18 AM
    Monday, March 30, 2009 10:44 AM

All replies

• Guess not?
    for every wise man there are 300 retards that follow
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 3:46 PM
  • Hello,

Before going any further, I wonder whether you installed some update packages or software on the computer recently. If so, you might try restoring the system back to the point before the issue occurred.

System Restore

1) Before we start, please close all open files and close all open programs.

2) Click Start; click All Programs; click Accessories; click System Tools; and click System Restore. The System Restore user interface should appear.

3) Click Next.

4) From the restore points available, select an appropriate restore point before problem occurs and click Next.

5) Click Next again. The restore process will run and your system will restart automatically.

For more information, please refer to the article below:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/9f6d755a-74bb-4a7d-a625-d762dd8e79e51033.mspx

If the problem persists, please continue with the instructions below to narrow down the issue.

Upgrade the display card driver (compatible with Vista) to the latest version.

Start Windows in Clean Boot mode

Note: You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to complete this procedure.

1) Click Start.

2) Copy and paste "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and click Enter.

3) Switch to Services tab and then Check Hide All Microsoft Services.

4) Click Disable All.

5) Switch to the Startup tab and then Click Disable all.

6) Click OK.

7) Click Restart to restart the computer and test the issue.

Good Luck!

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Thursday, April 09, 2009 10:18 AM
    Monday, March 30, 2009 10:44 AM
  • System restore wont work, and I hate to think I would have to do a system restore once a week just to get my icons and explorer windows to stay the correct size.  My video card drivers are updated, but I dont know how  video card drivers would resize my icons randomly whenever.  I can do a fresh install of vista, 1 week or so later and get wandering icon sizes and explorer windows that resize themselves.  My screen resolution never changes.  Ive been using Vista for almost 3 years now and have countless reinstalls, and Ive never had icons stay the same size or an explorer window stay sized at the dimensions I want it.  Please bear with me, I do know what Im doing with a computer, and I do know how things work, so if its a difficult explanation that is needed, please feel free to instruct me on what to do.  I cant nor wont do a system restore frequently just to resize my icons.  This has been persistant on 3 separate computers. 
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 6:43 AM
  • Well thanks for the help anyways. 
    Friday, April 03, 2009 2:11 AM
  • @Andy Song MSFT-

I don't know you and have never seen this forum before, I just stumbled across it doing a google search to attempt to solve the same problem (that is a common Vista problem for many users, FYI), and I just wanted to say how astonished I am at your advice.  This is the most ____-all, useless, stupid advice I've ever heard.  Not only is it unhelpful, it will probably result in damage to the user's computer, if they're constantly using system restore to "fix" such an obviously unrelated problem.  You should be fired for giving out such drivel.

@kmutley-

As you correctly concluded, this advise is useless.  I have seen the same problem on many computers, and the best advise I can give you is to right-click on a blank area of the desktop, and select View -> Large Icons, then change back to View -> Medium Icons.  This will restore them to the size you want them to be.

Good luck!

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 6:55 PM
  • Yeah it was rather useless to ask..Ive asked many times before and all I get are the same "system restore/driver update" replies.  One would think that would be the first place I would do, considering that a) I have 8 years extensive experience with computers and o/s from win95 through Win7, b) took some college classes for Vista, and c) obviously know dumb advise when I see it.  Sometimes I wonder why I even bother.  Funny that Win7 is just a patch for Vista, albeit a new o/s that I would have to pay for.

Needless to say, driver updates/system restore just doesnt cut it for everyday issues.  I do right click / view/ medium icons, but thats a consistent fix, not a solution unfortunately.  Its like the trouble shooters dont even care anymore when it comes to bugs. Silly me for believing that someone might have an answer or fix for something so minor.
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 8:14 AM
  • Yeah it was rather useless to ask..Ive asked many times before and all I get are the same "system restore/driver update" replies.  One would think that would be the first place I would do, considering that a) I have 8 years extensive experience with computers and o/s from win95 through Win7, b) took some college classes for Vista, and c) obviously know dumb advise when I see it.  Sometimes I wonder why I even bother.  Funny that Win7 is just a patch for Vista, albeit a new o/s that I would have to pay for.

Needless to say, driver updates/system restore just doesnt cut it for everyday issues.  I do right click / view/ medium icons, but thats a consistent fix, not a solution unfortunately.  Its like the trouble shooters dont even care anymore when it comes to bugs. Silly me for believing that someone might have an answer or fix for something so minor.
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 8:14 AM