none
Two Program Files(X86) folders in Windows 8.1

Question

• Since I upgraded from Win 8 to Win 8.1, I have found that I now have two Program Files(X86) folders on my "C" drive, one nested inside the other. Both are accessible and both seemingly contain the same files.  I'm wondering if these are actually duplicated programs created by the upgrade or just a case of cross-linking.  Doesn't seem to affect operation any, just takes up a lot of disc space (if they really are duplicated programs).
    Thursday, March 20, 2014 9:23 PM

Answers

• Have upgraded several times but not check the content. So my guess is that the migration has not finished correctly. I would check logs and try to analyse migration from technical evidence.

Check Google for troubleshooting.

Personally I would let current installation until more serious problems come, then revert to W 8 and upgrade again.

Rgds

Milos

Friday, March 21, 2014 8:58 AM

All replies

• Have upgraded several times but not check the content. So my guess is that the migration has not finished correctly. I would check logs and try to analyse migration from technical evidence.

Check Google for troubleshooting.

Personally I would let current installation until more serious problems come, then revert to W 8 and upgrade again.

Rgds

Milos

Friday, March 21, 2014 8:58 AM
  • Hi,

For further plan, please help to upload the setuperr.log and setupact.log under  C:\WINDOWS\PANTHER\ here for research.

Please upload them to a file sharing service like Onedrive or "Rapidshare" and put a link to them in your reply.

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, March 24, 2014 9:47 AM