none
Sound Cracking, Stuttering

Question

• I am using the standard windows drivers on my sound card, and when I am doing any other work  on my computer while playing music in either iTunes or Windows Media Player causes the sound to crack and stutter.  One thing that causes it to increase is scrolling up and down on any windows, especially internet explorer windows.  I am using the built-in sound on my motherboard, it is a Intel 945g, I think, not sure what sound chip they use though.
    Wednesday, June 14, 2006 6:32 PM

Answers

• I am having the same problem. It just recently started within the last month. (Sep-Oct 2006)

I reinstalled the AC97 drivers that came with my Dell XPS Laptop that I bought last year with a Intel 3.4ghz and 1gb RAM but that didn't help.

It has been running fine up until about a month ago. Now when I listen to WMP (Windows Media Player) or Winamp or RealPlayer or iTunes (which I uninstalled because I thought it was the problem) and even when I am not doing anything with the computer and don't have any other programs running it stutters while playing. It doesn't skip during the song but merely stops and resumes where it left off for about 1 second more or less since it is sporadic. But when I bring up the browser, IE 6, or start to scroll down a screen it really stutters hard. To fix that problem I turned off smooth scrolling in the browser settings. (Tools>Internet Options>Advanced - under the Browsing section uncheck Use smooth scrolling.)

If I open Outlook it really bogs down and will stop for about 3-5 seconds or sometimes a little longer. I have spent the last 2 weekends running maintenance on my system and got it defragged and CheckDisked (is that a word?) and virus, trojan, and malware scanned. I streamlined all the services and removed any extraneous services that I didn't need and the problem still persists. You can imagine my confusion and dismay. Also ran regedit and trimmed out start up programs that were not required. Maybe it was when I installed Windows Defender beta? Hmmm......

Another observation is that it is not only the Media Player but the whole system that seems to suffer a temporary paralysis and everything locks up momentarily like a big chunk of data got stuck in its throat and then clears. It only seems to happen when the media player of choice is running, or maybe it is more noticable when music or video is playing. Not sure. Suffice to say when it happens it is very noticable because everything you are doing just freezes momentarily. I tried to track it using Task Manager but it doesn't register anything because it locks up too.

I also tried adjusting my video settings to a more pedestrain level and that did not help either. As one last aside I also noticed a problem with right-clicking my mouse. I have found I have to right-click several times to get the pop-up menu to show. It happens mostly in IE6 when I want to open a page in a new window the menu is reluctant to appear after several attempts. Not sure if it is related but thought I would put that out there too in case anyone else is having a similar problem.

Not sure if it coincided with any patches or updates. Suffice to say if any Microsoft TechNet people would like to contact me in regards to my laptop specs I would gladly give them to resolve this problem. Maybe even do (gasp!) Remote Assistance.

Cheers!

Steve O.

Sunday, October 22, 2006 3:31 AM

All replies

• I am having the same problem. It just recently started within the last month. (Sep-Oct 2006)

I reinstalled the AC97 drivers that came with my Dell XPS Laptop that I bought last year with a Intel 3.4ghz and 1gb RAM but that didn't help.

It has been running fine up until about a month ago. Now when I listen to WMP (Windows Media Player) or Winamp or RealPlayer or iTunes (which I uninstalled because I thought it was the problem) and even when I am not doing anything with the computer and don't have any other programs running it stutters while playing. It doesn't skip during the song but merely stops and resumes where it left off for about 1 second more or less since it is sporadic. But when I bring up the browser, IE 6, or start to scroll down a screen it really stutters hard. To fix that problem I turned off smooth scrolling in the browser settings. (Tools>Internet Options>Advanced - under the Browsing section uncheck Use smooth scrolling.)

If I open Outlook it really bogs down and will stop for about 3-5 seconds or sometimes a little longer. I have spent the last 2 weekends running maintenance on my system and got it defragged and CheckDisked (is that a word?) and virus, trojan, and malware scanned. I streamlined all the services and removed any extraneous services that I didn't need and the problem still persists. You can imagine my confusion and dismay. Also ran regedit and trimmed out start up programs that were not required. Maybe it was when I installed Windows Defender beta? Hmmm......

Another observation is that it is not only the Media Player but the whole system that seems to suffer a temporary paralysis and everything locks up momentarily like a big chunk of data got stuck in its throat and then clears. It only seems to happen when the media player of choice is running, or maybe it is more noticable when music or video is playing. Not sure. Suffice to say when it happens it is very noticable because everything you are doing just freezes momentarily. I tried to track it using Task Manager but it doesn't register anything because it locks up too.

I also tried adjusting my video settings to a more pedestrain level and that did not help either. As one last aside I also noticed a problem with right-clicking my mouse. I have found I have to right-click several times to get the pop-up menu to show. It happens mostly in IE6 when I want to open a page in a new window the menu is reluctant to appear after several attempts. Not sure if it is related but thought I would put that out there too in case anyone else is having a similar problem.

Not sure if it coincided with any patches or updates. Suffice to say if any Microsoft TechNet people would like to contact me in regards to my laptop specs I would gladly give them to resolve this problem. Maybe even do (gasp!) Remote Assistance.

Cheers!

Steve O.

Sunday, October 22, 2006 3:31 AM
  • Also having same problem....on a Realtek ALC250 (AC'97). It sits in a laptop with Intel chipset.

The sound gets really bad no matter what driver I use. It's choppy and robotic....yeah really *** sound.
    I still havent got a solution for it. Think it has something to do with the sound mixer or the Intel chipset.
    Please help
    • Proposed as answer by eddie ramirez Sunday, April 18, 2010 12:39 PM
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 10:07 AM
  • I'm having the same problem guys, I can use my WMP, listen CDs, play games, but when it comes to watch youtubevideos (flash steaming), I got an horrible noise. Also the usual Windows "error" tune now is the same wird noise. If you find any solution for this, pelease post it.

I have my laptop since 1.5 years ago and no problems at all, this is something new and anoying, I tried reinstalling the drivers (realtek AC97 ACL250), but only works for one Windows session, then it crashes again. 

Monday, July 23, 2007 3:10 PM
  • I read something about wireless networking causing such problems because the wireless search interupts too much causing the flow of music the stutter. Anyway, there may be something similar running in the background causing the problem and is not the player or music media. 

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 9:39 PM
  • Thanks, but I found what was causing the error. It was a game that sometimes crashed, and then for some reason my sound card got bad.

I install the sound card again, withou playing the game ever, and no problem at all. I recommend to install the latest drivers, from the company website (google it).

Cheers.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 11:36 PM
  • Why is it Microsoft has not had any responce to this thread?  I have the same problem, it seems anytime music or sound is playing and anyother program accesses the hard drive, the sound stutters and sometime crashes XP Pro.  It seems to me that media player needs to buffer some of the sound file because it and other progerams are trying to access the hard drive at the same time and can't handle it properly.  My PC is a IBM/Lenovo T22, 512 MB RAM, 120 GB HD, Crystal SoundFusion Audio.  I have installed all availble updates and turn audio acceleration off and nothing has changed.  So do I take IBM/Lenovo, Cirrus Logic (Crystal SoundFusion), or Microsoft to small claims court for failling to support their products? 

Thursday, August 09, 2007 8:20 PM
  • Came accross the same problem with my Vista 64,
    It turned out to be my USB Network-card and some vista wireless problems
    solved it by cmd'ing this:
    "netsh wlan set autoconfig enabled=no interface="Wireeless connection""

Still, I had to do it everytime i turn on my pc so i can connect to the I-net, so i made a .bat
    fileSmile
    Sunday, September 02, 2007 12:11 PM
  • There are so many threads out there where guys are having similar issues.  I have tried disabling wireless, installing new sound and wireless drivers, updating every driver on my system, downgrading to Windows XP, doing a clean install of Vista, updating my BIOS and nothing has helped.  Saw somewhere that it might be the motherboard on my Acer laptop.  I just ordered a pair of USB speakers...hopefully that will sort my problem out because I am not waiting for weeks for Acer to put a new motherboard into my laptop...
    Monday, April 14, 2008 6:30 PM
  • Please see the solution as explained in this thread DMA reverts to PIO The stuttering DVD drive or the lame hard disk

I had this problem for 5 months and finally used the right google keywords to find this post.
    My laptop was stuttering on all audio playback, I thought the soundcard/chip was gone.

I followed the checking procedure on the primary ide as explained in the above post and sure enough it had been set to PIO mode. Ran the script, rebooted, it was reset back to Ultra DMA 5 and bingo, sound playback is perfect again!

Thank you!

Thursday, May 15, 2008 3:11 AM
  • I just compiled the exact steps I took to get this fixed as an article in this post:

Hope it throws some light for someone.
    Sunday, November 23, 2008 2:49 PM
  • My entire system was stuttering, not just wmp. On a blank desktop, just jiggling the mouse back and forth would stutter. And bringing up IE resulted in horrible stutter and static from wmp. MY SOLUTION was to move my wireless adapter to a different usb port even though there had been no problem with that port previously. The problem port was on a pci usb card. Yeah, I know, what possible difference could an apparently working usb port make. But it did. Your mileage may vary. Background: I had unplugged everything to crack the case, replace the cd burner, and then plug everything back in. After that, I noticed the problem. My assumption is that the pci usb card isn't seated properly; but cracking the box again is a pain and the other usb ports work fine. IIABDFI. -billy
    Monday, May 09, 2011 10:18 PM