none
Vista Install Freezes!!!

Question

• I am running AMD 64 3000+, on an ABIT NF8-V2 motherboard, 1 GB of Ram, Radeon 9800, Sony DRU 700a DVD drive and have not been able to Install Vista. I waited to receive the DVD kit from microsoft thinking maybe i had a bad ISO file from the download, but nothing changed. There is no error code to speak of, it just freezes at "Expanding Files" usually around 44%. Pretty sure its a hardware issue, but any ideas or advice would be much appreciated. I know that without an error code it might be a long shot, but its worth a try.

Sunday, June 25, 2006 3:38 AM

All replies

• cadi_blue,

It seems that you didn't have a bad download, after all here is something that might help you out. Click on this link and go there. The instruction is very easy and it helped me out alot. Here it is: http://www.vistabase.co.uk/welome.php?getstarted. This site is awesome and it really helps. Good luck!

Sunday, June 25, 2006 6:00 AM
  • I have the same problem.  It hangs in the "Expanding Files" section at about 21%.  The the error message says:

"Error while editing boot entries..."

I am thinking my HD isn't big enough.  I am using a backup computer with a  30Gig HD to learn all the Vista Beta2 glitches before installing the OS on my 60Gig HD i normally run in that machine. 

I had to put Windows XP on the 30G HD just to be able to install VIsta from my network.  I don't have a DVD drive on my backup machine yet, just a CD-ROM. 

That leaves about 25Gig for the Vista install on the backup computer.  With the 30Gig HD,   I guess its not nearly enough. 

I believe 60Gig is the minimum available storage space required for Vista installs.  

I just got my Vista DVDs in the mail, and was curious if I could get it to install on a drive I don't normally use first.   I guess not.

The CPU I am running is the Athlon XP 2600+ (Barton?).

So we are both running AMD processors, but yours is the 64bit version.

Also:  I can't even get my main computer, running Windows XP Home, to boot from the Vista DVD.    I change the BIOS to make it boot from the CD-ROM , but it always boots to XP from the C: drive anyway?  I don't know if buying a DVD for my backup computer is even going to help me with the Vista install problems or not.  If Vista won't boot from the CD, buying a DVD drive for my backup computer won't help any.

I Will report on progress I make this week, if any!   If I still have this "expanding files" hangup error with the 60Gig HD installed, I plan to submitt a feedback report on it. 

JoshIII

Monday, July 03, 2006 3:48 AM
  • If you're using the 64-bit version, that could be the case. The 32-bit version fits very well on a 20 Gig by itself. If you are loading the 64-bit while Windows XP is on it, yes, there is a problem.
    Monday, July 03, 2006 4:00 AM
  • I doubt it’s the HD; I bought a 200GB just for vista, granted it’s not SATA but still. My POS computer at work, I don’t even know the specs but it’s a Northgate, enough said, installed it fine. I am pretty sure it’s the motherboard. I have switched out every other piece of hardware save the MOBO. I have only tried the 32bit version thus far, but I have given up with this setup. I am going to invest in an ASUS Mobo, always had good luck with those. Thanks for responding

Tuesday, July 04, 2006 2:42 AM
  • My PC full fill all the requirement soplease you give ma a Free Cd of Window Vista .
    Sunday, July 16, 2006 8:09 AM
  • I finally got Vista Beta2 to install on my backup computer with the 30G HD.

Several things I did differently during the install process, so I don't know the one thing that made the difference.

Reviewing: 

During the first install attempt via my home network, the error message I would get on the screen (in text mode format) was:

"error while editing boot entries" at the Expanding Files step at 21% 

then upon reboot the error I got (in text mode format) was:

"The windows boot configuration data file does not contain a valid OS entry"

Different Approach:

• I activated Windows XP Home installation on the backup computer with the 30G HD
    • I made sure all the correct XP drivers were installed and functioning properly with my motherboard and chipset
    • I chose to upgrade to Vista from Windows XP rather than full install

Result:

• Vista installed without a hitch onto my 30G HD with sound, graphics, and networking functioning properly.  
    • Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) is not working yet, but I should resolve that issue with proper configurations and portocol settings.

Conclusion:

• I think by first activating XP Home via internet corrected the boot configuration data error problem discussed above.
    • Choosing Upgrade to Vista route seems to work allot better than trying to boot from the DVD or choosing the full-install approach to my Vista installion.
    Sunday, July 16, 2006 9:17 PM
  • Aryan,

The Windows Vista is ONLY an evaluation copy meant to be tested by IT professionals and other professionals. It is NOT a permanent copy to have on your computer.

Monday, July 17, 2006 3:44 AM
  • I got the same issue with my SATA drive with dual core CPU on ASUS 945 chipset board. The DVD just freezed, I try to boot the system with the DVD, but no luck. Any idea or clue...
    Wednesday, August 16, 2006 8:36 PM
  •  

Place your DVD player as Secondary Master and be sure that the jumper on the back of the DVD is set to Master. Hopefully you won't have a problem with it freezing up. Good Luck. 

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 10:36 PM
  • nice from you to offer help for us unlucky ones, but this link is broken...

People, try this one (not very usefull for me) http://www.vistabase.co.uk/articles/getstarted.htm

Wednesday, October 04, 2006 4:22 PM
  • I had the same problem using an asus p5ld2 mb (Pentium D and chipset 945).

Install would not go beyond expanding files (0%) but saw no hdd nor dvd activity.

I tried lots of things and followed many posted suggestions.

Finally I got it working by disabling the onboard EIDE (ITE 8211F) controller. This mb has both ICH7R (4 sata + 2 ata) and 8211F (4 eide ata).

Everything is working now.

Friday, August 24, 2007 6:50 AM