none
How do you stop windows XP from automatically installing video card drivers?

Question

• I've been trying to update my laptop videocard drivers, but to do that I have to remove the previous ones and then restast and install the new ones. However when I restart windows, it automatically detects a VGA and then automatically install some old drivers for my video card which then doesn't allow me to install the new drivers. I have tried using safe mode but the same thing happens. I have also manually removed the previous driver files from the system which sort of worked, as it stayed as VGA device, but windows was complaining a bit about the old drivers not being there so that could have made my new drivers setup say it could not find a VGA device (in device manager it had a caution symbol on it).

So I'm wondering how get windows to detect a VGA device (properly as my manual way might have disrupted the driver setup) without then automatically installing old drivers.

System Info: Win XP SP3 Media Center, Radeon X700, Acer Aspire 5512 WMLi

If you need more specific details let me know. Also the driver's I'm using ARE from Acer for my computer so it is not because I got them from ATI.

All help appreciated as it is now stuck was drivers which lack all the features the original ones had (ie TV out, customisation etc).

Thank you.
    Monday, July 28, 2008 12:02 PM

All replies

• Those "old" drivers are needed to allow Windows to use your video card so that you can see what's going on.  Just ignore them and install your new drivers.  The new drivers will work properly.

Monday, July 28, 2008 2:37 PM
  • For mobile platforms (laptops) video drivers distributed by Laptop manufacturers only, Video card manufacturers do not ship drivers on their support sites.If you are using such drivers downloaded from ATI site they won't work. Please check ACER support site to get latest drivers for your laptop.

What do you mean by getting error in installing the *new* drivers? Is it bailing out initially saying it do not supports  os etc?New driver installtion can be done on top of old drivers. If its throwing any error box while installing the drivers, can you send the exact error message?

Genereal problem could be with driver package installer where its not aware of XP SP3 version. In that case Remove SP3, install new drivers and install XP SP3.

-SRI89

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 9:13 AM
  • One thing you can do on any PC or laptop in a situation like this is to go into the settings for the video controller, choose the option to replace the driver and then choose the default Windows VGA driver. When you reboot it should then come up ok and run in low-resolution 256 colors but it will enable you to then go through the process again and install the CORRECT newer drivers.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 10:13 AM
  •  pavid553 wrote:

Those "old" drivers are needed to allow Windows to use your video card so that you can see what's going on.  Just ignore them and install your new drivers.  The new drivers will work properly.

I have already tried that before, plus I've install ATI drivers before which do require (as does this one) a new VGA detected by windows, yet windows automatically installs old drivers (it does not give me a window with options, or anything else for that matter, to choose) which then won't let me install the new drivers because there is no VGA anymore as windows has replaced it with some random old ATI drivers. Is that more clear?

The problem is windows does not give me any options or even a pop up window to say that I have new hardware and if I want windows to install drivers or ignore them. What it use to do is display an info bubble down the bottom right hand corner which says something like VGA device detects then pops up another saying X700 installed. Now since I tried manually removing the old drivers (and than restoring them) it just flashes the screen black and then when I check in device manager it has already installed ATI X700 drivers and won't let me install the new ones.

SRI89 wrote:

What do you mean by getting error in installing the *new* drivers? Is it bailing out initially saying it do not supports  os etc?New driver installtion can be done on top of old drivers. If its throwing any error box while installing the drivers, can you send the exact error message?

More specifically the when I run the ATI setup it shows this error "INF error Video driver not found." then this one after it "Setup was unable to complete the installation. Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup."

I have tried to manually select the drivers for it (after I manually removed the pesky windows driver, which actually popped up a window for new hardware to install) however it only had X1k ones not any for X700 so I think that refers to the first error (and I will find the right drivers). But still it wouldn't solve the last error, I'll report back on what happens though when I try some other drivers.

SRI89 wrote:

For mobile platforms (laptops) video drivers distributed by Laptop manufacturers only, Video card manufacturers do not ship drivers on their support sites.If you are using such drivers downloaded from ATI site they won't work. Please check ACER support site to get latest drivers for your laptop.

eggOmLet wrote:
    Also the driver's I'm using ARE from Acer for my computer so it is not because I got them from ATI.

SRI89 wrote:

Genereal problem could be with driver package installer where its not aware of XP SP3 version. In that case Remove SP3, install new drivers and install XP SP3.

Reverting back from SP3 seems a bit steep.

Maurice_Reed wrote:
    One thing you can do on any PC or laptop in a situation like this is to go into the settings for the video controller, choose the option to replace the driver and then choose the default Windows VGA driver. When you reboot it should then come up ok and run in low-resolution 256 colors but it will enable you to then go through the process again and install the CORRECT newer drivers.

That sounds very useful, I'll try that and see what happens if windows plays up when I try the correct driver package this time.

I'll reply the results back in a day or two, I'll be a bit busy so it could be longer.
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 3:21 AM
  • You might get better ideas from an ATI support forum: this appears to be an ATI driver issue rather than a Service PAck 3 issue.  This forum is for Service Pack 3 problems.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 9:19 AM