none
is there a way to cleanly uninstall a language pack?

Question

• Is there a way to cleanly uninstall a language pack, and not leave any leftover files (not lpksetup)?

Monday, March 12, 2012 3:04 PM

All replies

• Have you tried opening the Control Panel (icon view), and click on the Region and Language icon. Click on the Keyboards and Languages tab, then click on the Install/uninstall languages button. You can uninstall from there.
    Monday, March 12, 2012 5:09 PM
  • I think that's the same thing as lpksetup.  But I'm trying to run it remotely and get rid of all the cat files.

Monday, March 12, 2012 5:49 PM
  • What is the issue with the remaining files exactly? Is there any specific reason why you want to be sure all files have been removed?
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 4:38 AM
  • Aside from this?

http://blogs.technet.com/b/joscon/archive/2011/03/02/do-you-really-need-all-of-those-language-packs.aspx

I'd say the cat files add about a minute to the boot time.

• Edited by JS2010 Tuesday, March 13, 2012 5:17 AM
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 5:13 AM
  • I am not aware of any other supported method to remove these language packs. What I would recommend is to either use system restore to roll back to a time before you installed the language packs, if you have that possibility. Otherwise I would say reinstall your system and only install the language packs you really need the next time around.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 7:30 AM
  • 'lpksetup /u <language>' actually seems to work.  But...things like Cryptography Service and TrustedInstaller seem to randomly launch later to clean many system files up.  It's hard to see remotely when it's complete.  And rebooting at the wrong time seems to break the cleanup.

• Edited by JS2010 Thursday, March 15, 2012 9:02 PM
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 8:11 PM