none
The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows Installation cannot proceed.

Question

• When one of our users was working (in Microsoft Outlook) on his computer, his computer got restarted to the following Error Message: "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows Installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click "OK" to restart the computer, and then restart the installation."

This is a HP 520 Notebook preinstalled with Vista Business 32bit.

I tried booting with a Linux Live CD to back up the data, but strangely the folder with his username (under Users) is not present. Have we lost the data ?

Something which might have any connection to my problem: I recently (about a week ago) added a 2 GB RAM module in this Notebook, and now the total is 2.5 GB. (The Notebook manual said 2 GB is the maximum RAM to be used in teh Notebook.) 

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards
    Yagyesh

Thursday, November 04, 2010 12:23 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I removed the 2 GB module, and put back the old 512 MB one. But there is no change - same message continues to appear on restart.

Yagyesh

Thursday, November 04, 2010 1:27 PM
  • OK, now I have put the disk on Recovery of Data; but could someone tell something of the Error Message, and suggest a solution so that I do not have to format and reinstall everything back ?

Thanks

Yagyesh

Thursday, November 04, 2010 3:26 PM
  •  Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet forums.

This error probably indicates a hardware the compatibility issue between your motherboard and RAM. Could you please tell us the make and model of your motherboard and RAM?

You may need to adjust the DDR voltage leave AHCI turned off from BIOS to check the result. With regards to BIOS, please understand that it requires the hardware manufacture to do some research and publish an updated BIOS that is compatible with the operation system and hardware.

Best Regards

Magon Liu

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, November 05, 2010 7:41 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet forums.

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue still persists, please feel free to  reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

BTW,  we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Best Regards

Magon Liu

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, November 09, 2010 2:27 AM
  • Thank you for your response Mr. Liu. Sorry for not been able to get back to you earlier on this.

Would the following information sufficient for you:-
    Chipset: Mobile Intel® 940GML Express Chipset
    Memory (Module 1): Transcend 2G DDR2 667 SODIMM CL5
    Memory (Module 2): Samsung 512MB 2Rx16 PC2-5300S-555-12-A3

I am also mentioning here the Product Number of the 'HP520' Notebook if that could be useful: KD078AA#ACJ.
    HP PartSurfer: http://partsurfer.hp.com/search.aspx.

Regards
    Yagyesh

Thursday, November 18, 2010 7:34 AM
  • The best way to fix this error is by changing part of the registry as outlined here

http://heresjaken.com/the-computer-restarted-unexpectedly-or-encountered-an-unexpected-error-during-installation-of-windows/

• Edited by heresjaken Wednesday, May 22, 2013 5:12 AM
    • Proposed as answer by heresjaken Wednesday, May 22, 2013 5:12 AM
    Wednesday, May 22, 2013 5:02 AM
  • Thanks heresjaken..  your post help out a lot and saved me from rebuilding my image
    Monday, June 17, 2013 8:36 PM
  • No worries, I was dreading the thought of rebuilding my image when it happened to me..
    Friday, September 20, 2013 12:16 AM