none
Cannot Download Anything in Windows 7; Unknown Publisher?

Question

• I've recently been having some Windows 7 troubles, not being able to download seemingly any file from the internet.

It all started when I couldnt update Steam so I redownloaded it but found that the Publisher was Unknown and proceeded to install it.  The installation seemed to work until when it gets to the update download part where I get an error every time.  I also discovered that Windows Update doesnt work as well.  Most of the updates fail with the Error Codes of 80200053, Code 80246002, and Code 80070570.  When I manually try to update from microsoft.com, I get an unknower publisher error and the file is corrupt.

For example:

I try downloading 'Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1' using Windows Update and get the error code "80070570".  When I manually try to download it, I got the error code 'error hr:0x8007000d'.  I also tried downloading Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x 64 using Windows Update (I got the error Code 80200053) and via microsoft.com (I recieved a "file is corrupt" error on this one).

This problem is apparent with  mostly every file I download or update I run (Malwarebyte's, Norton Internet Securty Suite).  I dont think its a virus but I guess I cant rule that out.  Im also fairly certain its not my router, seeing that my other 2 computers (running Windows XP) can download the same downloads and updates plugged into the router and plugged directly into the modem without a hich, while the computer Im having issues on will fail when plugged into the router or modem.

Im using a:

Windows 7 (64bit) system, downloading with IE 8

I think that everything, if you need more information, please ask!  Thanks in advance for you help!

Wingman_mn

Monday, November 29, 2010 2:52 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for the post!

According to your description, you cannot download things from the internet normally.

How about in Safe Mode with networking?

Do you get any result after scan the computer?

For the error 0x80070005 you got, try the following to fix it.

Click start – Run, type the following in sequence:

RegSvr32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuapi.dll

RegSvr32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng.dll

RegSvr32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wucltui.dll

RegSvr32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wups.dll

I recommend you do a Startup Repair:

Note: Please ensure that the DVD-ROM is the first booting device.

1. Please insert the Windows 7 DVD and reboot the computer.

2. When we are prompted to press a key to boot from the DVD, please press Enter or the space bar.

3. Choose your language settings, and then click Next.

4. Click Repair your computer.

5. Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.

6. On the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair. Startup Repair might prompt you to make choices as it tries to fix the problem, and if necessary, it might restart your computer as it makes repairs.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, December 02, 2010 8:49 AM
  • Hi,

Please also refer to this thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/ca6ab922-e35e-4cf5-90a6-4d635d83e5ae

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, December 06, 2010 8:21 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for the post!

According to your description, you cannot download things from the internet normally.

How about in Safe Mode with networking?

Do you get any result after scan the computer?

For the error 0x80070005 you got, try the following to fix it.

Click start – Run, type the following in sequence:

RegSvr32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wucltui.dll

I recommend you do a Startup Repair:

Note: Please ensure that the DVD-ROM is the first booting device.

1. Please insert the Windows 7 DVD and reboot the computer.

2. When we are prompted to press a key to boot from the DVD, please press Enter or the space bar.

3. Choose your language settings, and then click Next.

4. Click Repair your computer.

5. Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.

6. On the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair. Startup Repair might prompt you to make choices as it tries to fix the problem, and if necessary, it might restart your computer as it makes repairs.

Regards,

Miya

Thursday, December 02, 2010 8:49 AM
  • I tried the Safe Mode with networking ~ the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x 64 still gets a files is corrupt after downloading and attempting to install it.  Also the Startup Repair didn't find any problems. 

One thing I found interesting was that while the:

All ran successfully, the "RegSvr32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wucltui.dll" received following error message:

RegSvr32

The module "C:\WINDOWS\system32\wucltui.dll" failed to load.

Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .DLL files.

The specified modules could not be found.

My guess is that this file is missing from my computer or something.

Could this be the source of my problems and if so, how would I fix this?

Thanks again,

Wingman_mn

Friday, December 03, 2010 7:26 PM
  • Hi,

Please also refer to this thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/ca6ab922-e35e-4cf5-90a6-4d635d83e5ae

Regards,

Miya

Monday, December 06, 2010 8:21 AM