none
Kernel Processor Power - Event ID 7

Question

• Can anyone interpret the following for me and what i must do?

"The speed of processor 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report."

"The speed of processor 1 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report."

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
      <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power" Guid="{0f67e49f-fe51-4e9f-b490-6f2948cc6027}" />
      <EventID>7</EventID>
      <Version>0</Version>
      <Level>3</Level>
      <Task>0</Task>
      <Opcode>0</Opcode>
      <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2008-04-12T01:13:03.793Z" />
      <EventRecordID>13812</EventRecordID>
      <Correlation />
      <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="52" />
      <Channel>System</Channel>
      <Computer>xXxSentinelxXx</Computer>
      <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
      </System>
    - <EventData>
      <Data Name="Processor">0</Data>
      <Data Name="CapDurationInSeconds">71</Data>
      <Data Name="PpcChanges">1</Data>
      <Data Name="TpcChanges">0</Data>
      </EventData>
      </Event>

(This seems to happening at every reboot)

Anyhelp would be must appreciated! Smile
    Saturday, April 12, 2008 1:56 AM

All replies

• Saturday, April 12, 2008 4:02 AM
  • I seem to have the same issue I'm also seeing these events in my system eventlog, but I'm not sure if this is causing other issues I'm having.

This is my laptop seems to frees (is this correct english?) the screen turns black and the only thing I can do is restart the laptop.

How can running Process Explorer help? Which process should I look for?

Regards,

Stefan

Sunday, April 13, 2008 2:48 PM
  • My systemeventlog displays the same events, since if installed sp1.

Process Explorer can´t find any Process with the pid 4 or tid 52.
    Sunday, May 18, 2008 8:00 AM
  • Since I updated my bios (HP 8510w) to Ver.F.OF the problem did not happen anymore.

Regards,

Stefan Stranger

Sunday, May 18, 2008 12:08 PM
  • Hello Guys

I'm using a HP 6710b Notebook, Vista Business 32-bit, BIOS Ver. F.10. unfortunately the problem still remains, at every startup the Event ID 7 is written down to Eventlog.

Does someone know something more about that? I did not find more information in WWW about that..

Thanks and regards,
    jan
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 5:47 PM
  • HP 8710w notebook. Vista Business SP1....problems started after installing SP1.

Random freezes....system really slow.

Totally fed up with Vista now....real productivity killer.

Thursday, August 21, 2008 12:21 PM
  • May be one of the few times in my web searching a solution adventures where I may have an answer..

It took me awhile to find a possible answer but here's a couple of links that offer good explanations:

Welcome to The Metaverse : Vista power management & CPU frequency

Different ways to determine CPU speed in Windows XP or in Windows Server 2003

The Maximum Frequency is used primarily in laptop/notebook/tablet/etc systems that may be run off battery only power. The power management configuration on modern devices allows the system to throttle the CPU - literally reduce its operating speed. Slowing the speed down reduces the energy consumption to extend battery life but will decrease operating performance as the CPU will take longer to execute commands.

So, if your system is like mine, I found that the power management utility had Maximum CPU set to 50% for both On A/C  AND On Battery.  Once I changed the On A/C to 100% in all power profiles the events disappeared.

respectfully,

- me -

• Proposed as answer by s.mcknight Friday, December 21, 2012 12:20 AM
    Sunday, August 24, 2008 2:21 PM
  •  Jan Madera CH wrote:
    Hello Guys

I'm using a HP 6710b Notebook, Vista Business 32-bit, BIOS Ver. F.10. unfortunately the problem still remains, at every startup the Event ID 7 is written down to Eventlog.

Does someone know something more about that? I did not find more information in WWW about that..

Thanks and regards,
    jan

Did anyone ever find an viable solution to this problem

?
    Thursday, October 02, 2008 12:06 AM
  •  Jan Madera CH wrote:
    Hello Guys

Thanks and regards,
    jan

Did anyone ever find an viable solution to this problem?  It DEFINITELY has something to do with the Vista SP1 update

Thursday, October 02, 2008 12:07 AM
  • Hi Jan,

I have the same Notebook as you, I started to get the same problem..I have noted that each time it happened I had just launched Windows Media Player !...it never happens any other time !...I am about to remove and reinstall media player to see if that has an effect

Ali

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 3:40 PM
  • I have a HP 8510w with this problem: "The speed of processor 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 3 seconds since the last report."

The processor is then throttled and its impossible to get it to full speed again without a reboot. After the reboot you can use it for a while until this happens again.

I´ve tried all bios version and nothing helps. I´ve tried Win XP 32/64 and Vista Enterprise 32/64 with hp drivers and also with other drivers.
    Blaming this on vista seems like a longshot to say the least considering I´ve tried XP aswell.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 12:31 PM
  • I've got the same issue on a Dell E6500.

I suspect that its some odd interaction between the BIOS and Windows ACPI. *Usually* the issue occurs when the machine is under load (games, indexing, etc) and particularly in a warmer environment (about 30degC).

The issue i have is that the configuration is far too sensitive, according to http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php the CPU and chipset only have to hit about 65-70degC before Windows calls its quits and slows my CPU to a crawl.

The CPU, at least, is rated to run much hotter than that so I think Windows and the BIOS should let it rather than making my PC unusable in warm climates.
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 11:32 PM
  • I have been faced the same problems after one year of using SAMSUNG R560 ASSD laptop (russian release, but it is't matter).

Kernel Processor Power ID 7 started to appear some time after system started (VISTA HOME in my case).

I can't find any definite solutions for the problem in the INET.

I related task with the message to this event and traced for the temperature of hardware (any TEMP monitring soft). So I found that my GPU and CORE are overheated! This also is seen in games as slowdown of performace... lacking frames, freezing atc.

I decided the problem is overheating and go to service to clean cooling system.  I did it with service center as I have no experinece with cleaning cooling system of laptop. It worked perfect! In the end games are running smooth as before and system is performing well as it was.

Hope it helps!

P.S. Sorry if my English is awful! :)

Friday, December 10, 2010 5:59 PM
  • @WTFK

I think you are on the right track here. I am using BOINC (a program that helps you give your spare processor time to a good cause like help fighting cancer, malaria or find mathmatical problems or map the stars etc), you can set this BOINC software to use your CPU for a certain max percentage. I set mine to about 85%. But if my laptop uses 85% of CPU power constinuesly then it reaches it's maximum case temperature (90C - Samsung R610) after an hour or so. So I use a tool to stop this from happening. It throttles the CPU to a lower setting. This always works fine. Till last night. I found the same error message as all users here. What seems to have happened is that my CPU was happily looking for a muscalur disease solution till Windows update started installing a load of packages. The system seems to have been unable to get the case or CPU (not GPU) temperature down quick enough when all that CPU intensive software started running at the same time.

I do not see what exactly happened when the temperature became too high. I do see that the software causing the overheat was shutdown (BOINC-BoincTasks-TThrottle). The Boinc apps are pretty smart, and may have decided to shutdown themselves or Windows did it. I am not sure.

Anyway, if I keep noticing this ID today where I won't run software which could possible overheat my laptop I will post it here.  But I think the above supports your suspicion WTFK.

Thursday, June 16, 2011 8:36 AM
  • I'll give that a try...thanks

becky

Becky D
    Thursday, December 08, 2011 6:28 PM
  • this is means that CPU is under throttle state for a while. But it doesn't have big impact. Because if CPU speed goes up, it won't go into again. It is better to enable speed step feature under BIOS setup.  
    Monday, March 12, 2012 9:22 AM