none
How to get beyond Starting Windows

Question

• Hello,

Having a problem with booting Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit.  For some reason unknown to me the computer stopped responding the other day, while browsing a network drive.  The drive itself was know to be slow, so I let it sit for about 10 minutes then I looked down and realized that the clock was not counting it was stuck at noon.   So I rebooted the computer, well it got to the Starting Windows, the logo flew into place and that is where it stayed.  After about 30 minutes of that, I rebooted and went to the repair, the Starting Windows and logo cameon the screen, and stayed there for about 30 minutes.  At this point I checked the BIOS, the clock was counting down in the BIOS with the correct time, so I went to Dell's boot options and ran a check on the hard drives, which passed.  I rebooted the machine with the Windows 7 w/ SP1 disc in the drive and when it said boot with CD/DVD I hit that.  It brought up the Loading Windows Files and soon after it got to the Starting Windows and logo, well I let it sit, and sit, and sit some more around about 5 hours.  Never got beyond that screen.  So now I  have pulled the DVD out and after the BIOS hit F8, got my advanced menu and selected Safe Mode.  It got to CLASSPNP.SYS and has been sitting there for roughly an hour now.  Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?  I would say reload Windows myself, but with the DVD not getting that far either it seems out of the question.  The system is not a critical machine so there is some time to fix it.  Now another thing I had thought of was that the machine in question had earlier had a problem with a display driver, which was fixed by uninstalling that display driver and deleting it, which reverted it back to a known good working driver.

Thanks

Michael R. Mastro II

Sunday, February 12, 2012 4:58 PM

Answers

• Well I got the disk in and ran a clean install again, this time with no problems after formatting the second drive.  It would actually do me no good to call the manufacturer, as the machine has not been under warrenty now for 6 years.  They would only tell me get a new machine.  But so far it is working, slowly but working.  I shutter to think what might happen if it has to be shutdown for any reason.

Michael R. Mastro II

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 5:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

First, please try the following possible solutions.

1. Use Start Up repair.

2. Try the last known good configurations.

Also, you may refer to the following KB.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925810 

Juke Chou
    TechNet Subscriber Support
    If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedbackhere.

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

Monday, February 13, 2012 6:51 AM
  • Hi Juke,

As I stated before the Windows 7 Disc hangs at the same place as reading off the hard drive.  So launching startup repair has not worked one bit, whether from the DVD or hard drive.  Just tried the Last Known Good Configuration and it has been sitting at the Starting Windows for roughly 30 minutes now, just going to let it run see what happens.

Thanks

Michael R. Mastro II

Monday, February 13, 2012 10:56 AM
  • Can you boot if you go to safe mode with command prompt?

If you get here do the sfc /scannow and chkdisk

Monday, February 13, 2012 1:23 PM
  • Nope, going to Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Command Prompt and Safe Mode with Networking all stop right after Classpnp.sys.

Michael R. Mastro II

Monday, February 13, 2012 6:45 PM
  • Sounds like the master boot record is bad....or have you checked the cables to your hard drive? one could be loose.  Do you have 2 harddrives? If so disconnect the one the OS is not on and just leave the OS drive in to boot.

heres how to repair the mbr

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/20864-mbr-restore-windows-7-master-boot-record.html

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 3:38 PM
  • Would help if the DVD could get beyond that point also.  Yes I have two drives and I have disconnected the secind drive with no effect.  So is the MBR bad on my DVD if I can't get beyond the Starting Windows when going from the DVD alone?

Michael R. Mastro II

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 7:35 PM
  • you should try and reload a different OS on the second drive. and boot from that.  Then you can get into cmd prompt from windows and edit the first drive if its plugged in and recognizable through explorer
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 9:05 PM
  • Hi,

Have you tried System Restore? You may boot the computer in Windows RE, then perform System Restore to revert back to a working state for a test.

Juke Chou

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 8:22 AM
  • I would try the system restore if it ever got that far through the Windows RE environment.  That too gets stuck at Starting Windows.

Michael R. Mastro II

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:52 AM
  • You will need to put the drive in a working computer with a bootable OS and see if you can access it this way.
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 1:49 PM
  • Already tried that, unfortunately it could not get good drivers.  So all it came up with in the device manager was disk drive with the generic microsoft drivers, and this would not allow access to the drive.  Maxtor is no longer around and seagate has no drivers for the drive.

Michael R. Mastro II

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 5:43 PM
  • have you tried a different startup disk....like.....

http://www.ubcd4win.com/

or

trinity rescue kit

http://trinityhome.org/Home/index.php?content=TRINITY_RESCUE_KIT____CPR_FOR_YOUR_COMPUTER&front_id=12&lang=en&locale=en

these will open up a windows pe environment and maybe you can do some editing from here
    • Edited by Ang101 Wednesday, February 15, 2012 6:13 PM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 6:13 PM
  • Ok I have now tried Ultimate Boot Disk for Windows with no success, I actually now am worse off.  Now it says there is no BootMGR since XP does not have the right coding for Windows 7.  I tried Trinity Rescue kit and it says the drive is ok, the backup is ok and the bootsector is ok.  I put my Windows 7 DVD back in and tried to load the Windows setup environment and all I still get is the Starting Windows.  Also I ran a memtest in TRK and the memory ran fine.  I am completely baffled now.

Michael R. Mastro II

Friday, February 17, 2012 5:24 PM
  • hmm... what happened with the ultimate boot disk?  Did it come up at all?

Friday, February 17, 2012 6:56 PM
  • Nope and I built the disc with XP SP3 like it said to in the instruction.  When I put the disc in the drive on the computer I built it, it comes up ready to run.  I put the disc in the computer that was down, I turned the machine on, it went past the BIOS, then flashed a few times, then shut off by itself.  I pulled the Ultimate Boot disc out and got the BootMGR message missing.  So I put the TRK disc in, and ran a ms-sys /dev/sdb and it said had a x86 partition something unrecognizable.  Ran testdisk and went to Analyize and then did Avanced and tried to rebuild the Bootsector and write to the MBR, the bootsecor and backup listed as ok.  I also ran a virus scan which went through cleanly.  After this I rebooted the machine pulled the disc and still got the bootmgr missing.  Put the Windows 7 W/ SP1 disc in the drive and hit the key to load from CD/DVD drive, got the Loading Files scroll, then it went to Starting Windows, stayed there for an hour and setup never came up.

Michael R. Mastro II

Saturday, February 18, 2012 12:12 AM
  • Hi,

According to your description, you also encounter an issue when loading Windows Installation Disk. Please also test the memory stick.

If the issue persists, try to boot in Windows Installation via USB key. Regarding Bootmgr is missing, you may repair this under Windows RE after booting in Windows Installation Enviroment.

Juke Chou

Monday, February 20, 2012 9:42 AM
  • Hello Jake,

Well I have now tried a about 4 different ways to make my USB key into a bootable drive with no luck.  First I started off using Diskpart and creating a primary partition then formatting it with NTFS.  After which I loaded the DVD into the drive and ran bootsect /nt60 against the USB key.  This worked fine, and I finished by copying the rest of the DVD over to the USB key.  It finished, I unloaded the key, removed it and then put in back into the machine, which prompted me then with a setup.exe autorun.  I unloaded it again and then put it into the troubled machine.  I then started it up and selected the USB drive as the boot device under the boot options screen.  It loaded to the drive then I saw the screen flash and it rebooted itself, selected the USBkey again and was presented with a Boot Failure \BCD\Boot  missing.  Shut everything down, and started to build the key again.  This time I downloaded the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool and ran that with this file: en_windows_7_ultimate_with_sp1_x86_dvd_u_677460.iso.  It got to step 4 of 4 and after the formatting status came up with this: We were unable to copy your files.  Please check you USB device and the selected ISO file and try again.  So I reformatted the key in NTFS and tried again, same message.  Pulled the key, reinserted, tried again, same message.  Downloaded a fresh copy of Windows 7 w/ SP1 and Windows 7 RTM, putting them both in a distinctly different location then the copy I already had.  Tried the Windows 7 w/ SP1 and got the same message, then tried the Windows 7 RTM and got the same message.  Reformatted the key in FAT32, then tried again and was presented with the same message.  Not sure where to go from here to create a USB key to boot the machine with.

Michael R. Mastro II

Monday, February 20, 2012 7:00 PM
  • Hi,

Please refer to the steps in the link below for installing Windows via USB key.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/installing-windows-7-on-a-netbook 

Juke Chou

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 10:10 AM
  • Hi Michael

I believe you did this already, but maybe you missed some parameters or something... so here's another guide on how to make an usb stick ready for installing windows 7... as far as i remember my own approach in installing win7 from an usb stick correct, this guide should really work if you follow it step by step.

And also i think your capable of performing these steps: http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-install-windows-7vista-from-usb-drive-detailed-100-working-guide/

But maybe your hardware is just damaged... i know you checked your disk and your ram without getting an error but maybe your mainboard is damaged itself. Otherwise its strange (if it would be the mainboard), that it gets stuck at the same point everytime...

I hope you can fix your problem!! really annoying bug you have there... 

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 1:58 PM
  • Well I created the USB key as bootable again and ran it to get: A Disk Read Error Occurred press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart, which brought up the following:

Windows Boot Manager:

Windows failed to start.

File: \Boot\BCD

Info: An error occurred wwhile attempting to read the boot configuration data.

I had followed the following guide: http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-install-windows-7vista-from-usb-drive-detailed-100-working-guide/ with no problems, running bootsec gave me a valid NTFS filesystem bootcode, and then I ran ROBOCOPY H:\ I:\ /E /COPYALL, which completed with no problems.  Trying again with the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool still fails to create a bootable USB key, and by the way I am using an 8GB PNY USB key.  So space is not the problem.

Michael R. Mastro II

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 3:50 PM
  • Hi,

If so, please format the USB key as FAT32 and try again.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/234.aspx 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927391

Juke Chou

Thursday, February 23, 2012 7:02 AM
  • He already tried it in FAT32 before... damn strange problem... maybe the harddisk (even if the test says ok... maybe try another test software)? or the mainboard itself... strange behaviour! :-/
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 8:46 AM
  • Hi,

Yep, according to the error message, it seems BCD is currupted or missing. But he copied all the files from Windows Installation Disk, I suppose the files shoud be OK. Maybe we could change to another USB key and test again.

Juke Chou

Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:25 AM
  • Yes the FAT32 has been tried already and that did not work then, even though I tried it again and still wouldn't work.   So on a whim I put the DVD  I am using into another computer and let it run up, which went extremely slow, but it got past the starting windows and I was able to go to the repair section.  I put the DVD back in the computer and it again got stuck at starting windows.  At least I know the DVD is a good copy.  Unfortunately that is the only USB key that I own that is over 2 GBs.

Michael R. Mastro II

Thursday, February 23, 2012 3:30 PM
  • Hi,

Can this USB key boot the working computer?

Also, you may attatch it to the another computer, and go to \Boot\BCD to check the boot files and copy them from DVD manually.

Juke Chou

Friday, February 24, 2012 8:45 AM
  • Well I have had forward progress, sort of.  After letting the computer sit all day and night yesterday, it finally booted into the DVD drive by itself, only took 22 hours.  So I ran the repair, and it still had issues after the repair, came back to the repair within 30 minutes.  After a few boots by the DVD I was able to get the system to boot on it's own.  Lost my keyboard connectivity so not able to get into windows at first.  Dug around and found a PS2 Keyboard, plugged it in, rebooted and was able to get into windows, but unable to do anything because the HP Digital Imaging software got messed up and kept putting a warning up on the screen about the hpqtra08.exe and the associated msi(forget the rest).dll being corrupted and it just put warning message after warning message after warning message, I had 40 of them at one point and time.  Went in to Msconfig and disabled HP Digital Image and rebooted, and after 3 hours the computer would not come back up.  Went again from the DVD and am currently waiting for the DVD to kick through like it did earlier.  I am beginning to think the mainboard is on it's way south, especially since the keyboard and mouse are not working via USB, then again that could be Windows, who knows, the keyboard worked when booting, but that was it.

Michael R. Mastro II

Friday, February 24, 2012 11:11 PM
  • Hi,

Glad to see you have got forward progress.

Regarding the keyboard issue, It may be related to USB controller, please reinstall the driver for a test.

Also, your issue looks like a hardware issue according to your description. I suggest doing a clean installation, then observe whether you could got any progress.

Juke Chou

Monday, February 27, 2012 2:43 AM
  • Well there was quite a bit of forward progress this weekend, also some frustrating progress, but all in all the computer is back up and running.   Yes the keyboard not working was because of the usb drivers being corrupted by the recovery, unfortunate, uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling did not work either, along with all the other software too.  So after getting all the important information off, and frustration with software, the decision was made to go ahead and reinstall Windows, which although a tad slow took less than a day.

Of course though, I format the second drive and first thing happens on the reboot is Bootmgr missing.  Back to the recovery options.

Michael R. Mastro II

Monday, February 27, 2012 2:05 PM
  • Hi,

OK, let's insert Windows Installation Disk and perform a Clean Installation on the drive. If you cannot boot into Windows PE via DVD image or USB key, it is most likely a hardware issue, please contact the manufacturer for more assistance. 

Juke Chou

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 2:39 AM
  • Well I got the disk in and ran a clean install again, this time with no problems after formatting the second drive.  It would actually do me no good to call the manufacturer, as the machine has not been under warrenty now for 6 years.  They would only tell me get a new machine.  But so far it is working, slowly but working.  I shutter to think what might happen if it has to be shutdown for any reason.

Michael R. Mastro II

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 5:53 AM
  • Hi,

Since you have reinstalled Windows7 and the computer is working now, I will mark your reply as "Answered". This will let the other viewer know what kind of resolution we take.

Thanks.

Juke Chou

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 6:42 AM