none
cscript not working

Question

• Hi All,

I am having problem running three .vbs files which I added to sysprep.xml. All three failed to run...
    I am running a command under specialize - cscript.exe c:\filename.vbs
    When I run the command under command prompt (i.e. cscript.exe c:\filename.vbs), it worked with no problem
    Any clue why it didn't run under sysprep.xml? Following is part of the answer file
    Thanks

<settings pass="specialize">
                        <Description>PNP</Description>
                    </RunSynchronousCommand>
                    <RunSynchronousCommand wcm:action="add">
                        <Order>3</Order>
                        <Path>cscript.exe c:\disablelmhosts.vbs</Path>
                        <Description>LMHOSTS</Description>
                    </RunSynchronousCommand>
                        <Order>4</Order>
                        <Path>cscript.exe c:\disablenetbios.vbs</Path>
                        <Description>NetBios</Description>
                    </RunSynchronousCommand>
                        <Order>5</Order>
                        <Path>cscript.exe c:\disabledns.vbs</Path>
                        <Description>DNS</Description>
                    </RunSynchronousCommand>
                </RunSynchronous>

Monday, August 17, 2009 8:09 PM

Answers

• This issue can occur if the Sysprep tool cannot check the lacation of cscript.exe automatically. The cscript.exe may be not available in Environment Variables.

I agree with VistaGuyRay that typing the full path to check the result. By doing this, we can direct the Sysprep tool to recognize cscript.exe.

In addition, Microsoft Forums may be not the best resource to fix this issue. Microsoft Forums does not currently officially support Enterprise setups such as complex networking environments, sysprep, etc. For a list of the supported scenarios, see the following policy statement.

What Windows 7 Technologies are Supported in these forums?

If you have access to the Enteprise build of Windows 7 and are associated with a TAP Partner, you should have access to advanced support resources for partners.

For general  troubleshooting issues, see the following website.

Windows 7 Technical Library Roadmap (RC)

Thanks for understanding. :)

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 8:10 AM

All replies

• Can you try to refer to cscript.exe using its full path c:\windows\system32\cscript.exe? I don't think the search path is working during unattended setup.
    Ray
    Monday, August 17, 2009 11:07 PM
  • This issue can occur if the Sysprep tool cannot check the lacation of cscript.exe automatically. The cscript.exe may be not available in Environment Variables.

I agree with VistaGuyRay that typing the full path to check the result. By doing this, we can direct the Sysprep tool to recognize cscript.exe.

In addition, Microsoft Forums may be not the best resource to fix this issue. Microsoft Forums does not currently officially support Enterprise setups such as complex networking environments, sysprep, etc. For a list of the supported scenarios, see the following policy statement.

What Windows 7 Technologies are Supported in these forums?

If you have access to the Enteprise build of Windows 7 and are associated with a TAP Partner, you should have access to advanced support resources for partners.

For general  troubleshooting issues, see the following website.

Windows 7 Technical Library Roadmap (RC)

Thanks for understanding. :)

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 8:10 AM