none
Windows 7 x64 shutdown problem in GPT AHCI mode

Question

• Hi guys, I have a strange experience with windows 7 x64 installation.

Recently I tried to install Windows 7 x64 in my Acer aspire 4750G in AHCI Mode (stock hardisk, 640GB). I must change my HDD from MBR into GPT mode because the Installation Wizard says can't install in MBR Mode.
    First, it installed normally, but when the installation is going to restart the machine, it can't be restarted automatically. I waited for at least 30 mins. It stucks on the Restarting screen. So, I decided to push the power button to force restart. then, the installation continue normally, except the shutdown! It can be installed in my notebook, but every time I'm going to shutdown my PC, it can't be shutdown! It always stuck on the Shutting Down screen. So I must push the power button to force off!

Then, I decided to reinstall, still doesn't solve the shutdown issue.

I tried to change the AHCI mode to IDE in BIOS, and reformat my hardisk to MBR mode. my problem solved. but I feel don't happy, because I want to enjoy my notebook PC in AHCI mode.

My friend ask me to install windows 7 64 bit too. So I help him. But something strange! It can be installed and working normally in MBR AHCI mode! I using the same Windows 7 64 bit installer DVD. Btw he has acer aspire 4740, but the HDD has changed to Seagate 250GB, because the original old one has broken.

Why my acer aspire 4750G can't be installed correctly in MBR AHCI mode while my friend's Acer aspire 4740 cant be installed and works normally in MBR AHCI mode? Is there any hardisk problem? Please help.

I've googling around, still don't find the solution.

Sorry for my bad english. :)

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 4:41 PM

All replies

• It depends on the BIOS version and type (what it supports) and if it support UEFI. I would refer you to the Acer support forum.

Personally I use AHCI for SSD hard drives only.

Regards

Milos

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 11:50 PM
  • It depends on the BIOS version and type (what it supports) and if it support UEFI. I would refer you to the Acer support forum.

Personally I use AHCI for SSD hard drives only.

Regards

Milos

Hi, thanks for your reply

My acer aspire 4750G BIOS based on UEFI.

I tried this guide

1. Startup "Regedit
    2. Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SYSTEM / CurrentControlset / Services
    3. Open msahci 
    4. In the right field left click on "start" and go to Modify 
    5. In the value Data field enter "0" and click "ok"
    6. exit "Regedit" 

in BIOS, I changed the IDE to AHCI mode

but after reboot, it says "Operating System not found"

after I changed back to IDE mode, it can boot normally. so strange...

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 5:21 AM
  • Hi,

You may check if there is an option to disable UEFI Boot in BIOS so that you can install to an MBR HD.

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, November 15, 2012 3:29 AM
  • Hi,

You may check if there is an option to disable UEFI Boot in BIOS so that you can install to an MBR HD.

there's no option to disable it...

acer bios has very less option. :(

now I'm running my win 7 64bit on MBR, but in IDE mode. I fell don't satisfied in IDE mode. :(

Thursday, November 15, 2012 4:42 AM
  • Hi guys, I have a strange experience with windows 7 x64 installation.

Recently I tried to install Windows 7 x64 in my Acer aspire 4750G in AHCI Mode (stock hardisk, 640GB). I must change my HDD from MBR into GPT mode because the Installation Wizard says can't install in MBR Mode.
    First, it installed normally, but when the installation is going to restart the machine, it can't be restarted automatically. I waited for at least 30 mins. It stucks on the Restarting screen. So, I decided to push the power button to force restart. then, the installation continue normally, except the shutdown! It can be installed in my notebook, but every time I'm going to shutdown my PC, it can't be shutdown! It always stuck on the Shutting Down screen. So I must push the power button to force off!

Then, I decided to reinstall, still doesn't solve the shutdown issue.

I tried to change the AHCI mode to IDE in BIOS, and reformat my hardisk to MBR mode. my problem solved. but I feel don't happy, because I want to enjoy my notebook PC in AHCI mode.

My friend ask me to install windows 7 64 bit too. So I help him. But something strange! It can be installed and working normally in MBR AHCI mode! I using the same Windows 7 64 bit installer DVD. Btw he has acer aspire 4740, but the HDD has changed to Seagate 250GB, because the original old one has broken.

Why my acer aspire 4750G can't be installed correctly in MBR AHCI mode while my friend's Acer aspire 4740 cant be installed and works normally in MBR AHCI mode? Is there any hardisk problem? Please help.

I've googling around, still don't find the solution.

Sorry for my bad english. :)

I have pretty much the same problem, but it happened after I changed the disk to gpt mode during the installation of windows 7 64bit. The disk used to have the same version of windows and I could install the windows without any problems until i change the disk to gpt. Even after I tried to change the disk to mbr, I found that the disk changed to gpt again once the windows7 is installed. Then, I found this article:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/186875-uefi-unified-extensible-firmware-interface-install-windows-7-a.html

for install windows from uefi. I tried this but my bios computer doesn't seem to support uefi. Anyway I just installed windows 7 64bit following the procedure in the post except choose usb instead of uefi. Now, the problem is resolved. I've checked the disk and it is in mbr now (after windows 7 on it). I don't know how it worked, but this seems to be related to the installation from a dvd. Try installing windows from usb. Good luck!

Friday, December 14, 2012 9:16 AM
  • hi, thanks for your reply.

btw are u using AHCI mode in BIOS? or IDE mode?

My notebook now running windows 7 x64 in mbr, but it using IDE mode in BIOS. :(

Thursday, December 27, 2012 2:29 AM