none
Changing Windows 7 notification area settings, via GPO or powershell, for enterprise desktops?

Question

• Hi,

I'm looking to find out if anyone knows what setting needs to be changed to disable the "Always show all icons and notifications on the taskbar" option?

From the Taskbar properties, when you select to customize Notification Area, there's a checkbox for "Always show all icons and notifications on the taskbar". There doesn't appear be a GPO setting, based on the prior postings on the technet forums. But as that option is recorded, it means there's a setting stored somewhere on the OS.  This is a simple true/false value.

I'm looking to reset the setting on desktops to reduce the number icons showing on the taskbar. Is this possible via a GPO setting or run a powershell script to change this single value?? I'm not interested in the 'system icons' settings, just the "always show all icons.." setting.

I've already had a good dig through the technet & MSDN articles, and have not had much joy.

• This link refers to selective showing of taskbar icons, which is not what I'm after
    • This link is a similar article, to above, in that it's a query about selective viewing of icons
    • And This link shows how to disable all notifications, which I think is overkill for what I'm after

In my case most of our enterprise desktops have the "always show all icons.." setting enabled. I'm simply looking to reset the option to 'unchecked'.

I have tried setting in GPO, under User configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > Start menu & taskbar;

• Turn off automatic promotion of notification icons to the taskbar --> enabled
    • Turn off feature advertisement balloon notifications --> enabled
    • Turn off notification area cleanup --> disabled

On PC's where the "always show all icons.." is checked, and the above settings are applied, it does not tidy up the notification area. Only by manually un-checking the "always show all icons.." setting does the notification area tidy up. Which wouldn't be an issue if it was just 1 or two PCs, but when it's hundreds of PCs, you really need a GPO or powershell script.

Many thanks for your time, suggestions would be very much welcome

• Edited by Paul Deasy Thursday, May 10, 2012 1:17 PM correcting typo
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 1:16 PM

Answers