none
Interactive logon process initialization has failed with upgrade from Vista to Windows 7

Question

• I'm on step 2 of my upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 and keep getting this pop up: "Interactive logon process initialization has failed". If I close it then my computer seems to freeze in a "Setup is strating services" page.  I'm stuck, please help.
    Monday, November 30, 2009 12:23 PM

All replies

• I have the same problem but Not on Upgrade. Let me explain the problem in Detail. It was the Third time i got this error. All the error caused by when i quit(Selecting "End Task" from Task Manager Processes section)  a Game or Large application using Task Manager Application. I still run Windows 7 and Its the fourth New Windows 7 i use. Help me. Its a Great Drawback for Windows 7. Hope they will clear it soon.. !
    Tuesday, December 01, 2009 7:52 AM
  • Hi,

Please log into Windows Vista and collect the following logs, please compress them with your name, and upload them to SkyDrive and provide us the link for analyzing.

C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\setupact.log
    C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\setupapi\setupapi.dev.log
    C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\setupapi\setupapi.app.log

In addition, you can try to upgrade your computer using the following methods:

1. Install the Bios update, hardware driver updates.
    2. Unplug the unnecessary external devices.
    3. Turn off three Windows features before performing Upgrade

Turn off three Windows features
    ======================
    1. Click Start, and click Control Panel.
    2. Click Classic View on the left pane, and double click Program and Features.
    3. Click "Turn Windows features on or off on the left" pane.
    Note: If you are prompted for an administrator password, type the password, and click Continue.
    4. In the Windows Features dialog box, uncheck the check boxes of the following features:
    a. Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0\XPS Viewer
    b. Remote Differential Compression
    c. Window DFS Replication Service and Click on OK ( it will take 5 to 10 minutes to get this configured)

Now, please try to upgrade your comptuer again.

I Hope this can help you.

John
    Tuesday, December 01, 2009 10:00 AM
  • Hi John

Thanks for your reply, but even though it's too technical for me, I can't apply it anyway as my computer seems to freeze in a "Setup is strating services" page. I'm stuck on step 2 of my upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 and now don't have use of either. Please help! Thanks!
    Tuesday, December 01, 2009 4:37 PM
  • Why not restart the computer manually? (Holding the power button to close the comptuer, then restart the comptuer) Then upload the log files for analyzing.
    John
    Wednesday, December 02, 2009 8:05 AM
  • Thanks again John, but your suggestion unfortunately doesn't work. Here’s why: After each manual shutdown, when I start up again the Windows 7 upgrade (now is step 2) begins automatically with a message "Setup is starting services". After some time a pop up appears "Interactive logon process initialization has failed". As soon as I close that pop up, my screen goes black and then the system restarts with "Setup is starting services" and so the process recycles itself.
    I have an Acer Aspire 6920 which came with Vista. I'm now not able to use either Vista or my new Windows 7 software. Please help. Thank you!

Friday, December 04, 2009 7:33 AM
  • First, please restart the computer, and take out off the Windows 7 DVD, then test if you can boot in windows Vista. If you can't, please insert your Vista Installation DVD to boot from this DVD to the Windows Recovery Environment, then choose Startup repair. Then restart your computer to test if you can boot in Vista. If you can boot in Vista, please upload the log files as soon as possible.

I hope this can help you.

Sincerely! 
    John
    Friday, December 04, 2009 9:42 AM
  • What's up now? Can you boot in Vista?

If you can boot in the Vista, please upload the log files for analyzing. If you can't boot in Vista, please repair the Vista system first.
    John
    Wednesday, December 09, 2009 2:33 AM