none
Not Showing Administrator in the Welcome Screen

Question

• There's no Tweak UI Power Tool yet, so I created HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList and added a DWORD with name=Administrator and value=0.  Administrator disappears from the Welcome Screen, but now how do I log on using administrator?  Pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del twice doesn't give the classic logon dialog.

Thanks.
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 4:09 PM

Answers

• Hi K. Kong

Hi

The following is close to what you want to do.

You can do this in Group Policy.

Go to Start and type   gpedit.msc   and in the results click the GPEdit.MSC utility to open the group policy editor.

Navigate to Local Computer Configuration / Windows Settings / Security Settings / Local Policies / Security Options.

In the right-hand pane look for the following policy.

Interactive logon: Do not display last user name.
    Double click this policy and select Enabled.

*This will cause the old style box to display that will require you to enter the user name and password.*
    * To use the Built-in Administrator account you will still need to use the command that Zeus76 posted.*

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Friday, September 11, 2009 1:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    According to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555910
    To enable the build-in Administrator account, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
    2. In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.
    3. When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.
    4. At the command prompt, type net user administrator /active:yes, and then press ENTER
    5. Type net user administrator <Password>, and then press ENTER.
    Note: Please replace the <Password> tag with your passwords which you want to set to administrator account.
    6. Type exit, and then press ENTER.
    7. Log off the current user account.

To revert do exactly the same thing but change
    net user administrator /active:yes to
    net user administrator /active:no

This is the official and right way to do things.

Regards

Rem
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 4:36 PM
  • Thanks, but you misunderstood me.

My Administrator account was already acttive.  But I didn't want it to show up on the Welcome Screen like in the good old XP days.  So I created the above described key to hide it.  But unlike XP, pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del does not open up the classic logon dialog where the userid can be typed in manually.  Hence, I am unable to log in using Administrator.

(I have one machine which has a fingerprint reader and hence the HP Credential Manager software.  On that machine, the HP Credential Manager Logon Wizard happens to have an option for a traditional logon dialog to enter the userid manually.  On "normal" Windows 7 machines I can't find a way to enter the userid manually.  My machines are all not joined to a AD domain.)

Thursday, September 10, 2009 4:48 PM
  • you misunderstood me I think:
    net user administrator /active:no
    won't show administrator

Cheers

Rem
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 5:03 PM
  • Hi, I just tested.  The NET USER command appears to just enable or disable the account.  If an account is enabled it will show on the logon screen.

I want to keep my administrator account enabled all the time.  But I don't want it to show on the logon screen.  By using that key in the registry, I manage to hide it.  The problem is I now have no way to log in using the administrator account if it is not shown.

In Windows XP hitting Ctrl-Alt-Del twice will bring up the classic logon dialog and I can enter the userid, any userid, manually.  How do I switch from simple logon to classic logon in Windows 7?

I want to keep the simple logon screen for normal users.  But I am ok to sacrifice it unwillingly if required.  So I went to the GPO editor (Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, System, Logon) and enabled Always use classic logon.  The documentation says "This setting forces the user to log on to the computer using the classic logon screen.  By default, a workgroup is set to use the simple logon screen.  This setting only works when the computer is not on a domain."  But the computer remains with the simple logon screen where you pick from a list of userids instead of typing.

• Edited by K.Kong Friday, September 11, 2009 1:06 AM typo
    Friday, September 11, 2009 12:59 AM
  • Hi K. Kong

Hi

The following is close to what you want to do.

You can do this in Group Policy.

Go to Start and type   gpedit.msc   and in the results click the GPEdit.MSC utility to open the group policy editor.

Navigate to Local Computer Configuration / Windows Settings / Security Settings / Local Policies / Security Options.

In the right-hand pane look for the following policy.

Interactive logon: Do not display last user name.
    Double click this policy and select Enabled.

*This will cause the old style box to display that will require you to enter the user name and password.*
    * To use the Built-in Administrator account you will still need to use the command that Zeus76 posted.*

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Friday, September 11, 2009 1:13 AM
  • Thanks.  This finally got classic logon to come on.  So it appears that the Always use classic logon GPO is a bug?

Anyway, now I cannot have a computer set up for novice users without attracting people to hack the administrator account.  A step backward in Windows 7.
    Friday, September 11, 2009 2:06 AM
  • Thanks.  This finally got classic logon to come on.  So it appears that the Always use classic logon GPO is a bug?

Anyway, now I cannot have a computer set up for novice users without attracting people to hack the administrator account.  A step backward in Windows 7.
    Hi

As far as someone hacking the admin account, this depends on how well you protect the system. There are many different tools available in Windows 7 that can be used to prevent intrusion.

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Friday, September 11, 2009 2:39 AM