none
Error "Windows Modules Installer stopped working and was closed"

Question

•  

I'm getting this error when installing update 1 of 1 of RC1 through Windows Updates. I got this same error yesterday when I tried installing the Beta release I got off of the MSDN site although I think that may have been RC1 as well.

The error pops up and I tell it to send information to Microsoft which takes a few minutes and then windows updates still is supposedly trying to install the update. I do have two processes called weaudt.exe running. I assume I should continue to let update do it's work??

Thanks for any help or advice,

Rick

Saturday, December 08, 2007 3:57 PM

All replies

•  

Hi Rick

Verify Windows Update Service Settings

* Click on Start, Run and type the following command in the open box and click OK

services.msc

* Find the Automatic Updates service and double-click on it.
        * Click on the Log On Tab and make sure the "Local System Account" is selected as the logon account and the box for "allow service to interact with desktop" is UNCHECKED.
        * Under the Hardware Profile section in the Log On Tab, make sure the service is enabled.
        * On the General Tab, the Startup Type should be Automatic, if not, drop the box down and select Automatic.
        * Under "Service Status" on the General tab, the service should be Started, click the Start button enable it.
        * Repeat the steps above for the service "Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)"

Re-Register Windows Update DLLs

* Click on Start, Run, and type CMD and click ok
        * In the black command window type the following command and press Enter

REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL

* Wait until you receive the "DllRegisterServer in WUAPI.DLL succeeded" message and click OK
        * Repeat the last two steps above for each of the following commands (I know you already did but please repeat again after above)

REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL
          REGSVR32 WUAUENG1.DLL
          REGSVR32 ATL.DLL
          REGSVR32 WUCLTUI.DLL
          REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL
          REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL
          REGSVR32 WUWEB.DLL

Remove Corrupted Windows Update Files

* At the command prompt, type the following command and press Enter

net stop WuAuServ
        * Still at the command prompt,

type cd %windir% and press Enter
        * In the opened folder, type the following command and press Enter to rename the SoftwareDistribution Folder

ren SoftwareDistribution SD_OLD
        * Restart the Windows Update Service by typing the following at the command prompt

net start WuAuServ

* type Exit and Press Enter to close the command prompt

Reboot Windows

* click on Start, Shut Down, and Restart to reboot Windows

Regards

Saturday, December 08, 2007 5:38 PM
  • Went through those steps although I received a message stating, " The module xxxxx.dll failed to load" on 3 of the dlls:

wuaueng1.dll

wucltui.dll

wuweb.dll

plus I had a problem stopping windows update through the net stop command but I think that may have been because I didn't open the command prompt with admin privlidges the first time.

I've rebooted and am currently downloading the updates right now. I'll post with success or failure.

Thanks for the steps to hopefully fix the problem.

Saturday, December 08, 2007 6:29 PM
  • same problem at 99% complete

Saturday, December 08, 2007 6:36 PM
  • Rick,

*Do the steps above I submit again, ignore these 3 dlls (They are XP specific), but dont restart the computer as I wrote at last step. After they are all done, follow the below steps

*Start>Run>regedit

*Navigate HKLM/ Components , right-click this key and click export and take a backup of this key (you will be able to revert back to previous config by double-clicking this exported registry, in case of failure)

*Delete the keys PendingXmIdentifier and AdvancedInstallersNeedResolving, 

*Apply the Resolution step of this article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931712

*Restart the computer

Regards

Sunday, December 09, 2007 2:52 PM
  •  

I don't see either of those keys within the components keys and I did a find and couldn't locate either of them as well.

Also, the article refers to:

The "Windows Features" dialog box is empty in Windows Vista, or you receive an error message that includes the following code when you ry to use Windows Update: "0x80073712"

Are you sure this isn't for another problem someone has posted as I've been reading about this specific error??

I'll try to follow the steps in the article which is deleting:

reg delete HKLM\COMPONENTS /v StoreDirty

I'll post results.
    Sunday, December 09, 2007 4:01 PM
  • Couldn't find the registry key or value!! : )

Next steps??

Sunday, December 09, 2007 4:04 PM
  • Make sure your user is in Administrators group!

Temporarily disable any antivirus or firewall!

*Disable UAC (Control Panel ->  User Accounts)
    *Restart your computer
    *Download Windows update agent (Save it dont run it) even if its already there on your computer
    x86:
    http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe 

x64:
    http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x64.exe

*Then go the folder you saved it .. Right click and Run it as administrator. 
    * After the install is complete ... restart your computer ... and everything should work like a charm
    *You can now turn back UAC if you want and then restart your computer again

http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/showpost.aspx?postid=1367041&siteid=17&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=2
    Sunday, December 09, 2007 7:03 PM
  • Same problem.

Downloaded windows update agent and ran as admin but it gave me the message stating I don't need to install because it's already installed.

Restarted computer and kicked off download and install and crapped the bed at 99% installed again with Windows Modules Installer stopped working and was closed.

Monday, December 10, 2007 3:28 AM
  • This is still a problem for me. Any suggestions? Other updates that become available are able to be installed via Windows Update.

Thursday, December 20, 2007 12:26 PM
  • I have Vista 64bit but no SP1. As far as I understand there is a beta but I am not keen on the idea of having a beta version of it installed on my pc. I have the same error "Windows Modules Installer stopped working and was closed" occur on my system. This seems to have happened out of the blue, that is I didn't do anything that I'm aware of or know of anything that could have caused the problem to occur. The pc is new however due to a problem with a game causing the pc to crash the pc has crashed several times so I can only assume that the last crash could be why the error occurs now. The problem is I followed the steps and still get the error and cannot search for updates. Since I'm new to vista I'm clueless as to what to do from here. I usually don't have problems with software or hardware I can't solve on my own which is why I am posting here hoping that a solution can be found. I would hate to have to wipe the HD and start all over again unless there is no other solution. It took forever to get things installed the 1st time. 
    Wednesday, January 30, 2008 12:51 PM
  • I am having similar problems. My message is that Window Installer is incorrectly working. I am unable to put anysoftware on my computer.

Friday, February 01, 2008 2:01 PM
  • Sad that nobody replied yet. I gave up trying to solve the problem and reformatted the HD and installed everything all over again. You know I expect poor service from MS but not from the community. My old pc well was just plain old so in order to run more modern software I had to build a new pc. And as long as I have no option but to use windows there is not much I can do but deal with MS's poor reputation of buggy OSes from release to the time they come out with the next incarnation of windows and then get no further updates to fix the previous incarnation. Sad thing is I wouldn't even had to get vista if it wasn't for the fact that dx10 is only on vista. Its possible this is a technical issue and it is impossible that it can be on previous versions of windows but I think its just another tactic of MS to shake pc owners for all the money they can get. The only reason I bring this up is I'm sick of dealing with problems with windows all versions and no quality support from anybody but 3rd parties (IE not MS and not PC manufacturers). But as long as windows remains the only OS that software is designed on other than fringe open source clones of common applications there is no real alternative. You may think I'm one of those people who think MS holds a government condoned monopoly and you'd be partially right. I think they use the fact that there is no real alternative to a more than large majority of PC users that they don't hold to a higher standard of having less buggy software. There is no reason why a complete wipe and reinstall of everything should have had to be done because of a broken installer feature that in turn caused other things to not work that called on that feature of windows to function.

Friday, February 01, 2008 3:44 PM
  • Dude, you can't blame the community for not helping and you really shouldn't be so hard on MS either.

To frame my perspective, I have just performed a reinstall of Vista x64 and after my first 'update' I'm getting the Windows Modules Installer thing. I found this page by searching for a solution.

Firstly, to defend the community, who is to say that anyone reading your post has a solution? I've been searching for four days and I haven't found one yet on any other tech site. Perhaps, as yet, there isn't a solution?

When discussing Microsoft and their 'behavior' however I think it is always useful to remember the size and variety of the install-base of their products. Sometimes a particular bug might appear on one PC out of a million because of its particular configuration - can you imagine what a nightmare and almost impossible task it is to test for every eventuality in this circumstance? Especially with software as complex as an operating system.

As a programmer myself I can appreciate that bugs do creep in to software and sometimes they are more 'visible' or in a more 'important' area than others. It happens. It isn't exclusive to Microsoft and it isn't exclusive to Windows. Believe me, they don't want problems with their OS any more than you do, but ultimately no-one and nothing is perfect.

I'm sorry to hear you felt the need to go for the rebuild option in this case...obviously this means I might have to do the same in the near future. For now however I'm going to hold out a few weeks in the hope a less drastic resolution can be reached.

Sunday, February 10, 2008 7:14 PM
  • I agree with you Jimmy Ju, i've recently found bugs in programs that I wrote years ago and use everyday.

On to the subject at hand.

My problems began when I installed Visual Studio express 2008.  I had to uninstall everything that got installed that day, one at a time even though it all gets installed in one step.

Then I had to do a system restore from safe mode.

This may not be a universal fix but I hope it can help someone out there.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 10:10 PM
  • Well, I guess I'm not the only one having the problem. I looked into the Problem Reports (in the Control Panel) to see a history of when my own lovely message started popping up. Apparently, it all started after I downloaded the the latest updates. They all went through just fine, but further digging down the history of problems, I noticed that Windows updates had sporadic problems installing updates in the past. Whether these updates got installed afterwards, I don't know. I do know that this "on again-off again" problem became more and more frequent until finally, the Modules Installer crapped out altogether. I was intalling Visual Studio 2008 student version downloaded from MSDN 2 days ago when it did, and that locked out my browser (IE) and MS Office as well as other files. Sweating bullets, because I had a report to finish, I did System Restore and after 3 hours, I finally got it to work. I did a Google search, and viola! the info below was 1st on the list

http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/Services/Windows_Modules_Installer.htm

As above mentions, it needs the Plug and Play service to function properly, which makes sense considering all the lockdowns mentioned above- even Windows Media Player wouldn't work. If so, this is a major release bug that needs a patch from MS (good luck!) Or, it could even be a system issue, like bad hardware that's about ready to fail. I don't know enough. Somebody (not this forum) mentioned even getting new RAM.

Guys, I hope the above helps some. I still see the pesky message, and I know I can't install any updates just yet or even anything related to MS. I'm probably going to buy new RAM then reformat my hard drive. Before that, I will give the above suggestions a try. If somebody is reading this, follow the above train of thought and tell us what you think.

Saturday, March 01, 2008 12:27 PM
  • Hi All,
    I got the same problem when I tried to instal Visual Studio prof. 2008. I think there is something wrong with that software.
    Monday, March 03, 2008 1:25 AM
  •  Walid_usa wrote:
    Hi All,
    I got the same problem when I tried to instal Visual Studio prof. 2008. I think there is something wrong with that software.

I've installed VS2008 pro a few times now (5+ on various PCs, all Vista) and it's gone in perfectly each time and I'd always had the described problem before I installed it. My experience of the problem is that I got it coming off of a base install of Vista...

...but now, magically, the error has disappeared. I haven't installed/uninstalled anything or done anything particularly tricky; it seems that the error sorted itsef out somehow. I will investigate and report back.

J

Monday, March 03, 2008 7:58 AM
  • I get this error now - several months after the rest of you - but I don't know if it's related to Windows Update. I didn't install anything just before the error started popping up, so I've got no idea what causes the problem. I can't even find logs for it in Windows' Problem History.

If I close the message box, a new one appears in less than a minute. The first couple of times Windows gave me some suggestions on how to solve the problem. I don't remember the first one (but I did it, and it didn't do any help), the second one was to run checkdisk (and I did so tonight on a scheduled task - don't know if it located any bad sectors on my disks - but the error message still pops up). The last one was reporting an error on the file system, to Microsoft, if I understood it correctly.

Regarding VS2008, I have VS2005 and VS2008 with SP's and lots of other stuff installed. If any of those might cause this error, I'm definately likely to get it. But as I said, I've not installed anything the last couple of days. Some updates came a few days ago, but this error message started yesterday.

Friday, August 01, 2008 6:38 AM
  • Although I'm fairly new at the PC but trying to learn everyday, I have to agree with Jimmy Ju on this. I have the very same message, I was trying to install a new printer and it gets to 94% and then I get the windows message "windows modules has stopped working and will close", I've searched the net for a solution, went to the window website, talked to 3 "computer geniuss", (?), and spent 2 hours in Staples 2 days ago with the computer technician and all to no avail.  She helped me to save the files and picutres I wanted to save, gave me some blank DVD's and told me to go home, create  rescue disks, and then wipe out my computer and restore it to factory.  Haven't done it yet because I wanted some other opinions and I think I'll do as you Jimmy and hold out for as long as I can for a solution.  I could wipe out my computer like she said but what's to say it wouldn't happen a month down the road, or tomorrow for that matter , and then just have to do it all over again. Nope, don't think so.  I just think maybe Vista still has some bugs to work out, we're probably all so used to our PC's working so smoothely on XP, that we're not ready for  the change.  KInda like a Ford and a Chevy, back when they were points, distributor, and a carburetor, pretty much anyone of us could keepm" going. Now a module runs this part, and another controls that, and there.s another module that controls that module and then when they go bad you have to put them on another computer to find out why.  We're all victims of modern technology.  Guess I'll just wait for some smart person to tell me where I'm screwin up.

Sunday, August 24, 2008 8:59 PM
  •  DKCornelius wrote:

She helped me to save the files and picutres I wanted to save, gave me some blank DVD's and told me to go home, create  rescue disks, and then wipe out my computer and restore it to factory.  Haven't done it yet because I wanted some other opinions and I think I'll do as you Jimmy and hold out for as long as I can for a solution.

I got trouble trying to install SP1 for VS2008 (after having SP1 Beta installed, but it had nothing with the beta to do). I was neither able to install SP1 nor uninstall VS2008, to reinstall it, so I ended up reinstalling Vista anyway. A collegue also ended up reinstalling Vista this week. The add/remove programs list had suddenly been cleared, so he wasn't able to uninstall anything... Seems like there are some problems around windows installer going on these days.

Sunday, August 24, 2008 9:10 PM
  • Hmm that is unusual; I upgraded to SP1 RTM after running the SP1 beta and it was fine... The same was true when installed version 3.5 SP1 of .NET after I'd got beta installed - I had to download a 'cleanup' tool but it was all documented on the installer.

Have you checked the registry entries for the programs list? Maybe you could check it to see if its intact. Also, do you have the required permissions to view the list? Just guessing of course.

J

Sunday, August 24, 2008 9:19 PM
  • I did run the cleanup tool first. But I think the problem was either some error regarding windows installer, or some conflict with any of the SDKs installed. I "upgraded" from SP1 Beta to SP1 on my home computer recently, and had no problem. I was about to install the "Windows SDK for Windows Server 2008 and .NET Framework 3.5" again this week, but I did not dare to do it, in case it would mess up something again. I see there is one known issue (http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3782186&SiteID=1) after installing VS2008SP1, but what happens if the SDK is installed after SP1? Anyone who have done this with success?

I don't know if the registry was checked on the other machine, having trouble with the add/remove programs list. I guess not. Anyway, the computer is now reinstalled, so there is now way to find what caused the trouble.

Sunday, August 24, 2008 9:36 PM
  • Sad that nobody replied yet. I gave up trying to solve the problem and reformatted the HD and installed everything all over again. You know I expect poor service from MS but not from the community. My old pc well was just plain old so in order to run more modern software I had to build a new pc. And as long as I have no option but to use windows there is not much I can do but deal with MS's poor reputation of buggy OSes from release to the time they come out with the next incarnation of windows and then get no further updates to fix the previous incarnation. Sad thing is I wouldn't even had to get vista if it wasn't for the fact that dx10 is only on vista. Its possible this is a technical issue and it is impossible that it can be on previous versions of windows but I think its just another tactic of MS to shake pc owners for all the money they can get. The only reason I bring this up is I'm sick of dealing with problems with windows all versions and no quality support from anybody but 3rd parties (IE not MS and not PC manufacturers). But as long as windows remains the only OS that software is designed on other than fringe open source clones of common applications there is no real alternative. You may think I'm one of those people who think MS holds a government condoned monopoly and you'd be partially right. I think they use the fact that there is no real alternative to a more than large majority of PC users that they don't hold to a higher standard of having less buggy software. There is no reason why a complete wipe and reinstall of everything should have had to be done because of a broken installer feature that in turn caused other things to not work that called on that feature of windows to function.

Well, actually Windows XP is my favorite so far.  I have both XP and Vista on two different laptops and to tell you the truth, Vista really needs some cleanup and I would have no problem wiping it out to use XP, but trying to find an alternative to Windows all together is a little extreme.  I am a Microsoft rat lol and will always support it no matter the bugs.  That's the challenge I get to face being a tech and all.  Exploring Microsoft's strengths and weaknesses is what makes it all fun and stuff.  Sure anybody can just go the easy way and buy into Apple products, but hink about it, there's no challege there.  Nobody really uses them except for graphic design and photo editing and stuff like that, but anyway I have the same error, but intend to figure out a solution and get back to you guys.  Oh, and MrHusy nice tech work, keep it up. :)
    Tuesday, April 07, 2009 1:13 AM
  • So is there any solution to this problem....

how to rectify this and continue gettin updates...

has MS done anything about it ???
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 2:43 PM
  • AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM ABOUT "windows modules installer stop working and close" so i decided do you your instructions but when i did run services.msc and then find Automatic Updates but i started searching for it and i couldnt find it and the report saying that the windows modules installer stop working and close wont stop showing.

so am wandering if you know how i could repair this problem. Am not really good with computer so i would really need very thorough instructions.
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 4:19 AM
  • I have a solution go back to XP!
    Monday, August 24, 2009 9:35 PM