Windows 8.1 Store App Will Not Connect to Internet

Question

• Hello, Windows Community.

I've never posted on a forum before, as I consider it a last resort. But here goes nothing!

I downloaded Windows 8.1 Pro Preview, Evaluation Copy Build 9431 some time ago, and just recently installed the update that added the Windows Media Center bundle to the deal. Everything was working swimmingly until today. My computer blue-screened. Luckily, I made myself a backup just last week and was able to restore to my previous state with no issues whatsoever...or so I thought. For whatever reason, my Windows Store app will not connect to the internet. Clearly I'm connected to the internet to post this, so that's just a silly message. I've been working on fixing this for quite some time today and worry that nobody has the same issues as I do!

I do not have any third-party virus protection software, my Internet Explorer is not set to use a proxy, when I log in with a local, non-administrative account, the store works just fine. I did a computer scan and its integrity is in-tact. I fear that it's got something to do with me being connected to a domain when I'm docked here at work. This frustrates me because I've been running this OS just fine for about two months, maybe a bit longer, and this is just now becoming a problem. I'd like to avoid a clean install, of course. Who wouldn't? But, if there's truly nobody out there smart enough to fix this, I suppose I'll have to. I hope to hear back soon. Thank you!

Friday, September 06, 2013 8:23 PM

Answers

• Nick

Since you BSOD there is a log file (called a DMP file) that will help us diagnose why it did  here is  how to get it to us.

We do need the actual DMP file as it contains the only record of the sequence of events leading up to the crash, what drivers were loaded, and what was responsible.  

WE NEED AT LEAST TWO DMP FILES TO SPOT TRENDS AND CONFIRM THE DIAGNOSIS.

If you are overclocking (pushing the components beyond their design) you should revert to default at least until the crashing is solved. If you dont know what it is you probably are not overclocking.
    You may be able to get the DMP files without crashing by booting into safe mode (F8) with networking.
    If you are overclocking stop.  (chances are if you dont know if you are, you are not)
    To enable us to assist you with your computer's BSOD symptoms, upload the contents of your "\Windows\Minidump" folder.  
    The procedure:
    * Copy the contents of \Windows\Minidump to another (temporary) location somewhere on your machine.
    * Zip up the copy (compress them)
    *Please upload them to a file sharing service like Skydrive or"Rapidshare" and put a link to them in your reply.
    Link for how to  upload below.
    To ensure minidumps are enabled:
    * Go to Start, in the Search Box type: sysdm.cpl, press Enter.
    * Under the Advanced tab, click on the Startup and Recovery Settings... button.
    * Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked.
    * Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box (the 256kb varies).
    * Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump.
    * OK your way out.
    * Reboot if changes have been made.
    Please also run MSinfo32 and upload the output as well.
    To run MSinfo32 please go to start>run>MSinfo32
    Go to "file" "save" and upload the saved file with the DMPS
    System specs are extremely useful so please include whatever you know.

Blue Screen View & Who Crashed are often wrong and should only be used in an emergency...

You can read more about BSODS here
    You can learn how to test your memory here

Wanikiya & Dyami--Team Zigzag

Friday, September 06, 2013 8:29 PM

All replies

• Nick

Since you BSOD there is a log file (called a DMP file) that will help us diagnose why it did  here is  how to get it to us.

We do need the actual DMP file as it contains the only record of the sequence of events leading up to the crash, what drivers were loaded, and what was responsible.  

WE NEED AT LEAST TWO DMP FILES TO SPOT TRENDS AND CONFIRM THE DIAGNOSIS.

If you are overclocking (pushing the components beyond their design) you should revert to default at least until the crashing is solved. If you dont know what it is you probably are not overclocking.
    You may be able to get the DMP files without crashing by booting into safe mode (F8) with networking.
    If you are overclocking stop.  (chances are if you dont know if you are, you are not)
    To enable us to assist you with your computer's BSOD symptoms, upload the contents of your "\Windows\Minidump" folder.  
    The procedure:
    * Copy the contents of \Windows\Minidump to another (temporary) location somewhere on your machine.
    * Zip up the copy (compress them)
    *Please upload them to a file sharing service like Skydrive or"Rapidshare" and put a link to them in your reply.
    Link for how to  upload below.
    To ensure minidumps are enabled:
    * Go to Start, in the Search Box type: sysdm.cpl, press Enter.
    * Under the Advanced tab, click on the Startup and Recovery Settings... button.
    * Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked.
    * Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box (the 256kb varies).
    * Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump.
    * OK your way out.
    * Reboot if changes have been made.
    Please also run MSinfo32 and upload the output as well.
    To run MSinfo32 please go to start>run>MSinfo32
    Go to "file" "save" and upload the saved file with the DMPS
    System specs are extremely useful so please include whatever you know.

Blue Screen View & Who Crashed are often wrong and should only be used in an emergency...

You can read more about BSODS here
    You can learn how to test your memory here

Wanikiya & Dyami--Team Zigzag

Friday, September 06, 2013 8:29 PM
  • Hello, Please try the Windows App Troubleshooter and see if that helps: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=271185 You should also give a try to the fix of following article, in case your apps can't connect to Internet, even if you're able to access web from browsers: http://www.kapilarya.com/fix-modern-apps-in-windows-8-unable-to-access-internet Hope this helps, Good luck :)
    Saturday, September 07, 2013 4:01 PM