none
How to map network drive for other users in Windows 7?

Question

• All the machines below are on the same domain. I'm a member of Domain Admins group. Let's say the domain name is mydomain and my login name is mydomain\pcsql66.

I have a Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2008 machine. Let's say the IP address for that server is 10.10.123.12. The administrators group of that server has only one member the built-in administrator. I have the passowrd for that administrator.

I need to map \\10.10.123.12\c$ as X: on different Windows 7 machines so any domain user log on to any of those Windows 7 machiens will able to access the mapped X:.

Some of the Windows 7 machines have built-in administrator disabled. Some of them have the Domain Admins group as a member of the Administrators group. Some of them have my login mydomain\pcsql66 as a member of the Administrators group. Some of them have a domain user (just a regular domain user) as a member of the Administrators group. So, there are many different combinations.

For most of them, I can map X: when a regular domain user is logged in by entering administrator as username and the password and checked Remember My Credential and rebooting the machine and login as the same domain user will still have the X:. However, some of them will lose the X: after rebooting.

Thanks for any help.

Monday, September 12, 2011 2:07 AM

Answers

• I suggest you try the fixes that are mentioned in the following article.

Error message when you try to access an administrative share on a Windows Vista-based computer from another Windows Vista-based computer that is a member of a workgroup: "Logon unsuccessful: Windows is unable to log you on"
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947232

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 8:33 AM