none
"Windows has encountered a critical problem and will restart automatically in one minute."

Question

• Hey guys. I started getting an error today after about 3 minutes of being connected to the internet and this is now a regular thing. The message I get is this: "Windows has encountered a critical problem and will restart automatically in one minute." This only happens when I'm connected to the internet for about 3 minutes.

Unfortunately, Vista is not anymore detailed than that but I did get 3 Error logs in Event Viewer. Here is what they say:

"Event 1000, application error

Faulting application services.exe, version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp 0x4549add1, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp 0x4549bdc9, exception code 0xc0000374, fault offset 0x000af1c9, process id 0x284, application start time 0x01c80f6b92b8ebd2.

Event 5007, WerSvc

The target file for the Windows Feedback Platform (a DLL file containing the list of problems on this computer that require additional data collection for diagnosis) could not be parsed. The error code was 8014FFF9.

Event 6008, EventLog

The previous system shutdown at 6:10:40 PM on 10/15/2007 was unexpected."

The things I've tried are:

Run virus scan, check hijackthis, and run Windows Defender- Nothing found
    check modified and created date for the 2 files listed above- There were no recent changes
    I have all Windows Vista updates.
    I have not installed anything new (software or hardware) at the time this started happening.

Any help would be appreciated guys.
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Friday, June 11, 2010 4:09 PM Moved to relevant forum category (From:Windows Vista Announcements)
    Monday, October 15, 2007 11:09 PM

Answers

• Hi Fabio,

Just turn on your computer with F8 pressed.

Choose Safe Mode option.

Logon using your Administrator level user.

Next, click Start > All Programs > Accessories > Run...

Type MSCONFIG and click OK.

Go to the SERVICES tab and search for Gbp Service.

Uncheck it and click OK.

Restart and see if the problem is gone.

Best regards,

Fernando.

Friday, January 04, 2008 2:22 AM

All replies

•  

happening the same here. when i restart in safe mode everything is normal. i already run the antivirus, scandisk, defrag, sfc.exe, but i still get the error when i logon with my user. i already tried create a new user too... can anyone help?

sry my english. Smile

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 11:43 PM
  •  

did you do a clean boot, KB:929135 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us). did try disabling anti virus?
    Saturday, December 22, 2007 8:19 PM
  • Hello,

I'm facing the same problem with two of my Toshiba laptops running Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit.

Both are running fine since April, 2007 with all Microsoft updates.

The first one, a Toshiba A135-S4477 suddenly start to present this error message.

I have tried almost anything you can imagine. Things such as:

- Performed a System Restore;

- Scanned my computer with almost all antivirus, antispyware, antianything you may know (nothing found);

- Performed a chkdsk with bad sector seek (no errors found);

- Unistalled all recent software and updates from Microsoft;

- Tried two Hotfix from Microsoft (no effect);

- Tried Vista SP1 Release Candidate;

- Tried to disable all non-Microsoft services through MSCONFIG;

- Tried to disable all Microsoft services through MSCONFIG;

- As soon as I reboot the system it shows the critical error message, wait for 1 minute and restart;

- Format my C: drive and fully resintalled Vista. It have worked fine for 2 or 3 days and the problem get back!

As my last resort I send my Notebook back to Toshiba.

Well, today, back to the office...brand new year...good mood...

My employee turned on its Notebook (also a Toshiba, but model A205-S4797) and....guess what??? SAME PROBLEM!

Note: We have some Vaio Notebooks at our company all running Vista Ultimate without showing this bizzarre problem.

We have contacted Microsoft today and they told us to try the same possible workaround we have tried.

The strange aspect is that the system always load in Safe Mode and if you reinstall the system it works fine for a couple of days...go figure...

Any huch (as much crazy it could be) will be appreciated!

Best regards,

Fernando.

Wednesday, January 02, 2008 6:01 PM
  • Hello,

I have talked again with Microsoft support today and we have found the culprit.
    The problem is an ActiveX control used by some Banks in Brazil (Service for G-Buster Browser Defense - C:\PROGRA~1\GbPlugin\GbpSv.exe).

This control has become corrupted and thus affect the Windows Vista cryptographic system which causes a problem that generates that error message and make the system restart in one minute.

As there is no solution at this moment the recommended workaround was to log in Safe Mode and disable this ActiveX control.

After doing this the error has disappeared and the system get back to normal state.

Regards,

Fernando.

Thursday, January 03, 2008 1:46 PM
  • Well, I fixed my problem a few months ago. You know what I did to solve it? I uninstalled Vista and reinstalled XP SP2. It's amazing -The problem just went away! 
    Thursday, January 03, 2008 8:05 PM
  • I'm having exactly th same problem !

How exactly did you deactivated the activex control?

thanx

Fabio

Friday, January 04, 2008 12:05 AM
  • Hi Fabio,

Just turn on your computer with F8 pressed.

Choose Safe Mode option.

Logon using your Administrator level user.

Next, click Start > All Programs > Accessories > Run...

Type MSCONFIG and click OK.

Go to the SERVICES tab and search for Gbp Service.

Uncheck it and click OK.

Restart and see if the problem is gone.

Best regards,

Fernando.

Friday, January 04, 2008 2:22 AM
  •  

Oi Fernando,

Eu tentei desabilitar a opção como vc ensinou, mas o erro continuou acontecendo (laptop rodando vista ultimate). Repeti o mesmo procedimento num desktop rodando xp e vi que mesmo com a opção desmarcada lá no msconfig o processo gbpsv.exe continua executando na inicialização do computador. Logo percebi que por isso o vista continua dando problema. Tentei desinstalar esse aplicativo (C:\Arquivos de Programas\GBPlugin) porém ele não aparece na lista de Adicionar/Remover Programas. Renomear o arquivo ou apagar a pasta também não é possível, dá acesso negado. Procurei no registro do windows e apaguei todas as chaves que continham a expressão gbpsv, mas pra minha surpresa, ao reiniciar o computador todas as chaves recém apagadas foram recriadas.

Parabéns ao fabricante desse software, pois a intenção é que ele seja realmente seguro, mas tem que haver uma maneira de ser removido uma vez que foi instalado no computador.

Se você tiver alguma outra sugestão ou novidade (com o suporte Microsoft), por favor mantenha-nos informados.

Atenciosamente,

Vinicius

Friday, January 04, 2008 7:14 AM
  • Vinicius,

Try to remove it using Spyware products like Hijackthis:

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/programs.php#hijackthis

Run this application and perform a System scan.

You will find an entry called "BHO G-Buster Browser Defense".

Check it and click on Fix Selected.

Probably this will remove the plugin.

Regards,

Fernando.

Friday, January 04, 2008 4:26 PM
  • Fernando,

Thank you for your answer

I have tried your sequence, but the system restarts with the service activated.

My solution to the problem was very simple: just renamed the folder GbPlugin to a different name so the service was not initiated automatically and the problem was solved!

I was about to format and reinstall everything for the second time in order to get the Toshiba laptop running.

It is amazing how unstable the Windows Vista was delivered.

Your information saved me a lot of time!

Thanx a lot

Fabio

Friday, January 04, 2008 5:21 PM
  • Fabio,

Depending how you connect to the Internet again the Plug-In will reinstall itself. It acts pretty much like a malware.

In this case Vista is not the culprit. The code of this Plug-In is corrupting the system cryptograph which then cause the critical error during the login process. I think the Banks and the Software author are not aware of this BUG and they need to fix its software too.

One thing Microsoft can do is to avoid the BUG effect but if they stop to do that for every buggy windows software at the market this will generate a thousand of Hotfix modules. In fact the system stability is proportional to the amount of third-party software installed on it.

After reinstall the machine make sure you don't visit any of these banks web sites before any fix or update is released regarding to this problem.

Take care,

Fernando.

Friday, January 04, 2008 5:32 PM
  • Just had the same problem for the second time! Thanks guys for the info on this.

This time I solved it after just deleting the folder GbPlugin from the program files folder, when running the system on safe mode!

Yesterday I did some online banking with Banco do Brasil and that probably was the cause of the problem on my system.

Thanks a lot!

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 2:04 PM
  •  

I've tried everything recommended here, but still nothing seems to change. As far as I can tell, I don't have this Gbp Service on my computer.

For some reason, I suspect it might be connected to Adobe.

Sunday, February 17, 2008 2:41 AM
  • Hello other posters! Thank you so much for your info, and maybe I should say “obrigado” (apologies for my Portuguese). I installed Vista Home Premium SP1 on my own computer and my girlfriend’s computer. I got both computers in Dec ’07, so XP wasn’t an option, and they both came with the base Vista Home Premium. My SP1 is OK. Her SP1 kept giving the bug. I went into safe mode, didn’t find the GBP control. So I uninstalled SP1. Now her computer is OK with base Vista Home Premium. Here are a few tips:
    1. As DeathStryker pointed out, the bug doesn’t happen in XP. In my case, it didn’t happen with VISTA base, did happen with SP1. So it’s MS-release specific.
    2. It’s also user-specific. Even after her user-id (non-admin, which I used to install SP1) became unusable, I was able to use my user-id (admin) to uninstall SP1. I think her user-id was more susceptible because she does a lot of financial things (Fidelity, Morningstar) which might connect to Banco do Brasil or other banks.
    3. It’s good to get comfortable with F8 safe mode. It also may help to define multiple administrator users, so that if one gets corrupted you can still use another one to backout the suspect update.

Sunday, April 20, 2008 5:41 PM
  •  

Hey everyone,

I just bought a laptop today.  It came with Windows Vista Home Basic installed.  I went through the normal 1st time procedures and upon my first login, got this error message within a minute of logging on.  The system restarted, and it happened again.  In fact, it keeps happening and I can't seem to fix it.  I haven't done any sort of banking whatsoever. 

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 3:29 AM
  •  fpmalard wrote:

Hello,

I have talked again with Microsoft support today and we have found the culprit.
    The problem is an ActiveX control used by some Banks in Brazil (Service for G-Buster Browser Defense - C:\PROGRA~1\GbPlugin\GbpSv.exe).

This control has become corrupted and thus affect the Windows Vista cryptographic system which causes a problem that generates that error message and make the system restart in one minute.

As there is no solution at this moment the recommended workaround was to log in Safe Mode and disable this ActiveX control.

After doing this the error has disappeared and the system get back to normal state.

Regards,

Fernando.

There's no way it could have been limited to this plugin because I don't live in Brazil nor do I use any online banking systems so the chances of me having this were pretty small I'm sure.

Either way, I can't verify for sure because I don't have Vista anymore.
    Wednesday, May 07, 2008 4:39 PM
  • I had this exact same problem on a HP Pavilion with Vista Home. Any time I had a network connection with the computer it would get this error and shut down. It seemed to be related to something talking to a network or internet connection.

I checked the ActiveX folder and there was no object there related to GbpSv.exe, I also looked on the HD and found nothing. I went in and removed all ActiveX components from IE and that still did not solve the problem.

I did seem to find the issue though, I had an older version of MSN Messenger (Ver 7 I think) that was loaded on this machine, it never gave me problems before, but now it seems that it was. I dont know if it was a change in the Vista SP1 or what, but once I disabled MSN Messenger from auto starting, and auto login the problem went away.

I decided that it must be the older version of MSN Messenger, but when I went out and downloaded and installed the latest Windows Live Messenger I received the same error! Seems strange that one of Microsofts own products would be doing this, but that is what is happening on my system.

My suggestion is that if the above fixes do not work and you have messenger installed, dissable the options to start Messenger on your system start up, and the auto log on feature. Hopefully that is of help.

Friday, June 06, 2008 6:22 AM
  • I could not find Gbp Service, am I reading this wrong? Or is this an abrieviation?

Sunday, June 22, 2008 6:41 AM
  •  Robert Barr wrote:

I had this exact same problem on a HP Pavilion with Vista Home. Any time I had a network connection with the computer it would get this error and shut down. It seemed to be related to something talking to a network or internet connection.

I checked the ActiveX folder and there was no object there related to GbpSv.exe, I also looked on the HD and found nothing. I went in and removed all ActiveX components from IE and that still did not solve the problem.

I did seem to find the issue though, I had an older version of MSN Messenger (Ver 7 I think) that was loaded on this machine, it never gave me problems before, but now it seems that it was. I dont know if it was a change in the Vista SP1 or what, but once I disabled MSN Messenger from auto starting, and auto login the problem went away.

I decided that it must be the older version of MSN Messenger, but when I went out and downloaded and installed the latest Windows Live Messenger I received the same error! Seems strange that one of Microsofts own products would be doing this, but that is what is happening on my system.

My suggestion is that if the above fixes do not work and you have messenger installed, dissable the options to start Messenger on your system start up, and the auto log on feature. Hopefully that is of help.

Thanks!....uninstalling MSN Messenger did the trick for the system I was working on.

Friday, August 22, 2008 4:01 AM
  • I had a user experiencing this problem as well with a HP Pavillion laptop.  "Shutdown -a" wouldn't work in this case, however this is what I found.  Turning off the wireless switch (basically disconnecting from the internet) stopped the error from coming up, which allowed the pc to function fine.  I then uninstalled MSN Messenger 7.0, which definately was the problem.  For those that still want to use messenger - I then downloaded Windows Live Messenger from http://messenger.msn.com and installed it and the system is fine.

That resolved this issue for my client.  The machine was running Vista Home Premium 32bit edition.

Hope that helps!
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 6:06 PM
  • I have a different computer and have the same problem

If you download and install the latest version of MSN Premium it icludes Messenger 7 and requests to sign in thn the errors reported above occur.  However I have found that if you install Windows Messenger live first then Messenger 7 is not installed and the problem vanished. 
    Wednesday, March 04, 2009 3:47 AM
  • Very funny
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 3:22 PM
  • HI i have got the same problem Windows has encountered a critical problem and will restart automatically in one minute. I tried to do a scan and i can't go onto the internet!!! please help me. the laptop always restarts and keeps on saying Windows has encountered a critical problem and will restart automatically in one minute. My laptop is a windows XP home edition{Acer}
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 5:24 PM
  • I keep getting this error message on my parents' computer-i did a system restore and the problem went away...then I installed windows updates-BOOM, problem came back immediately.  I just uninstalled the updates from today to see if it happened again...suggestions?

I suspect there are other issues here because their system is running very slow.
    Sunday, November 01, 2009 11:54 AM
  • what is gbp i don't see that???????????     My email is Pchucahot27@yahoo.com please answer to here
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 3:44 AM
  • one way is to uninstall windows live messenger if you use it frequently

im sorry i have no other solution:

1.go to start,programs,uninstall a program
    2.uninstall windows essientals.
    3.uncheck anything thats not messenger and just load it

Diego
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 9:27 AM
  • i just uninstalled messenger and it  went away for about a day but it started back again

Diego
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 11:59 PM
  • People with this kind of problem after coming out of sleep mode on a Windows 7 client that is part of a domain should read here: http://techie.org/Blog/2009/11/09/windows7-lsass-crashing-system/
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 10:45 AM
  • I get the same error --- "Windows has encountered a serious problem and will restart in one minute." only when I login on our Network through a docking station. I have never received this error under any other circumstances. Running Windows 7 which really great as I skipped Vista - too ugly for me.
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 1:13 PM
  • Ok, I've tried all solutions i've found here and nothing worked. It's a trojan, and to remove it u have to:

1. look on google for "kaspersky rescue disk" and download it (possibly the latest version)
    2. burn kaspersky rescue disk .iso image on a cd to make a bootable cdrom
    3. set your boot priority to cdrom and reboot pc with rescue disk in
    4. wait (it takes a long time) for kaspersky rescue disk to install
    5. run a scan also without c: e: f: .... units
    6. clean all trojans
    7. reboot without the cd and have fun again with vista

• Proposed as answer by grungemegood Friday, September 03, 2010 3:16 PM
    Friday, June 11, 2010 2:09 PM
  • Mirroreflex...You are the man!!!  

I tried every simple fix but had to resort to your suggestion and it worked.  My kids get on my wife's laptop and download all kinds of games and BS stuff.  The "Kaspersky Rescue Disk" found 4 worms and numerous "Trojan Horses."  Oh not to mention, I had to do the repair on Fathers Day while trying to watch the U.S. Open.  

I should have gone with your recommendation from the get go.  It would've save me some time.  Keep the great advice coming!!

MHL..

Sunday, June 20, 2010 11:42 PM
  • HI Guys,

I have tried all the suggestions and still the same. The only thing that stops it happening is turning off Wi-Fi but then I can't connect to the internet. The minute I turn on Wi-Fi it starts rebooting again. Please HELP !!!

Thursday, August 05, 2010 6:39 AM
  • HI Guys,

I have tried all the suggestions and still the same. The only thing that stops it happening is turning off Wi-Fi but then I can't connect to the internet. The minute I turn on Wi-Fi it starts rebooting again. Please HELP !!!

I have the same exact problem... I disconnect the internet router and the problem is gone. which means if i connect to the internet my comp gets that message..... I believe yesterday i was on the internet and somehow Malware Doctor got installed on my computer WITHOUT asking me and then i got like 11 viruses...... I cleared my registry of Malware Doctor Unistalled Malware doctor... Deleted the files... And did a system scan with Avast!..... AVG..... Mcafee....... Spysweeper...... and norton..... all the viruses were gone... and i keep getting that error message when i am connected to the internet.... Can someone HELP! Even in safe mode with networking settings i get that error message......
    Thursday, August 05, 2010 6:25 PM
  • Hi there,

I go the same problem "Windows has encountered a serious problem and will restart in one minute". Now my computer starts OK, but I get this error when turning the internet on.

I have not installed any new soft or hardware lately.

My McAfee licence ran out last week (typical..)

I got the AntiMalware Doctor virus but thought I managed to remove it with  Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, but after this is windows started to shut down and reboot.

This is what I've tried:

I've disabled all services with CClean, ran Malwarebytes again and again, ran Search & Destroy, system reboot, safe mode,I don't use messenger, 

I'm UK and no connection to Brazilian banks and don't have a GBP service so don't think that is the problem.

I'm using Vista.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks a lot,

Erik

Saturday, August 07, 2010 7:57 AM
  • This JUST started happening to me today as well. I've searched this forum for HOURS after this first occurred and tried just about everything that was listed. So far I've:

-tried to find the plugin in safe mode titled "gbp service" but found nothing of the sort

-Tried system restore...I ran it about 5 times to an earlier date before my most recent Windows Updates, and every time it came back saying the restore couldn't be completed (although twice when I went to run it again, a new restore point had been created titled Undo: Restore Operation which makes me assume it DID restore something?)

-Deleted Windows Live Messanger. I didn't have MSN messanger, since my laptop is only a year old and came with a much newer version, but I still gave it a shot just to see what would happen.

-Disabled Microsoft/Non Microsoft programs via MSCONFIG. Still nothing

-I'd give that Kaspersky rescue disk a try to get rid of a possible trojan, the only issue is I have no way to burn it onto a disk since my only computer with a disk burner is the one currently experiencing the problem.

-Reset IE to original settings

None of the above solutions have worked. My only other option at this point seems to be to bring it into the tech center at my school and see if they can fix it...I'd rather fix it myself, though, since I do a great deal of work over the internet and the earliest I can get down to the tech center is Monday :( Any help would be greatly appreciated!

This is all happening on Windows Vista Home Premium, by the way

Thursday, August 12, 2010 4:20 AM
  • Yo!

I started having this problem a few days ago now, when my computer became infected from a trojan, the ever-famous Antivirus Pro 2010 trojan which pretends to be an antivirus program but in reality blocks you from doing anything with your computer unless you pay money to get the "full version."

I killed the trojan with Malewarebytes Anti-Malware, and now Antivirus Pro 2010 is gone, but now I have the "Windows has encountered a critical problem and will automatically restart in one minute" problem which popped up after I uninstalled the trojan.

I have tried the following:

Looked for the Gbpsv.exe and Gbp service, and found nothing.

If I had Windows Live Messenger, I would uninstall it, but I don't.

I have ran Malewarebyte's Anti-Malware again and again.

I have tried Rkill in all of it's forms, and for some reason it terminates itself or something. It says "Programs terminated by Rkill or while it was running:

Desktop\Rkill.exe." Any explanation for this??? It's crazy, even the programs that are made just to kill this one virus don't work.

I have tried McAfee's Stinger program. Nothing.

I have tried the Kaspersky Rescue Disk, and it also did nothing.

In essence, I have tried every single tip here except for a system restore.

Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Running Windows Vista, sadly.

Saturday, August 14, 2010 9:49 PM
  • Problem solved! In my case, it WAS a Trojan. I ended up running Kaspersky Rescue Disk to get rid of the problem. Was your disk updated? When I first ran it, even though I burned it just a day before, it was a month or two out of date and I couldn't update it the first time, so I just ran the outdated version and got nothing. I went back in, updated the disk, and it found a TON of stuff and was able to clean up my system. It needs to be connected to the internet to update, so I used a cable to hook it up instead of wireless and thankfully, my computer didn't shut down.

Hope that helps!

Sunday, August 15, 2010 5:49 PM
  • Thanks for posting Misslissy!

I used the updated Kapersky Rescue Disk 10 too and it's now back to normal and stable. It found a good handful of trojans and viruses that were very deep down and must have been the cause. 

Thanks agian

-Eirik

Monday, August 23, 2010 1:10 PM
  • I found out how to update it. You need to boot from the disk and select "Graphics Mode". Previously I had pressed "Text Mode" to see all the directories it was checking, but that way I couldn't update it. This time I chose graphics mode, and I found that the Kaspersky Rescue Disk has it's own little OS. You need to press the start button in the lower left, click "Network Setup," and then plug in your computer to a linksys. This does not work wireless, so you will have to use an ethernet cable. Then click the start button again and press "Kaspersky Rescue Disk". Click on the "My Update Center" once the Kaspersky Rescue Disk window pops up. Then update your disk.

I'm running the updated rescue disk as we speak. I'll let you know how it works. ;)

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 7:05 PM
  • Worked like a charm! Kasparsky found and deleted a Root-kit that was causing the problem. All other solutions did nothing.
    • Proposed as answer by mike desm Monday, September 06, 2010 10:48 PM
    Friday, September 03, 2010 3:32 PM
  • Worked like a charm! Kasparsky found and deleted a Root-kit that was causing the problem. All other solutions did nothing.

if you guys have better luck tell me, i have the same problem

• Proposed as answer by seanmckenna7 Saturday, September 11, 2010 10:13 PM
    Monday, September 06, 2010 11:18 PM
  • i was wondering if this problem had been solved, i have just repaired a toshiba laptop wich had this error popup.

if anyones interested, let me know.

Saturday, September 11, 2010 10:15 PM
  • hey seanmckenna i just replace the keyboard and when i try to turn it on i got this message its a toshiba can u let me know if got any sugestion how to fix this problem??????
    Wednesday, October 06, 2010 6:35 AM
  • This problem is caused by different things, but in almost every case it is caused by a particularly nasty and hard-to-detect piece of malware. Usually, in cases like these, it is a good idea to either run an antivirus that detects and fixes it (which apparently seems to be very few as of this writing) or reinstall Windows. Essentially, what this version of the malware does is hide in system code and hijacks your services.exe file (a critical windows executable) and uses it to contact a plethora of nasty IP addresses that either activate code or send code to your computer that causes Windows to, essentially, freak out and shut down your computer. Have a look at this screen shot I took.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/2244/123fv.png

All the open connections by services.exe occurred just a second before I got the critical error message and were unauthorized by me. Windows Firewall allowed these outbound connections by services.exe because it is a trusted system file... but it doesn't know that it has been hijacked.

If you find yourself in a position where you need to get around this problem, all you have to do is create a custom rule in Windows Firewall (or any other firewall you may have installed) that restricts outbound connections by the services.exe file. If you're not sure how to do this, here's a step by step (for Windows 7):

Before you start, make sure to completely disconnect from the internet so that you don't get the error and get booted while you're in the middle of this.

1. Open your Control Panel.

2. Open up "Windows Firewall".

3. Click "Advanced Settings" in the left pane.

4. Select "Outbound Rules" in the left pane.

5. Click "New Rule..." in the right pane.

6. Select "Custom" and click Next.

7. Select "This Program Path:" and click the "Browse..." button.

8. Browse to \Windows\System32 (it should already be there).

9. From the file list, find and select "services.exe" (it may just say "services" if you have extensions turned off)

10. Click Next.

11. Click Next again.

12. Click Next yet again.

13. Select "Block the connection" and click Next.

14. Ensure all the boxes are checked and click Next.

15. Give your new profile a name (it can be anything, I named mine "secure") and click Finish

16. Reconnect to the internet.

You should be good now. Please keep in mind that this is just a band aid so that you can do whatever it is you need to do or if you find yourself in a position without resources or time to properly fix it (like I did). Your computer is still infected and you may lose access to some Windows features that use an internet connection like Windows Update. It seems someone had good luck with Kaspersky in fixing the issue, so I recommend you download that and run it. Hope this helped!

• Proposed as answer by JetsterDajet Monday, December 06, 2010 10:25 AM
    Monday, December 06, 2010 10:25 AM
  • JetsterDajet,

I tried your step by step "bandaid fix" and got the error message as soon as I connected to the internet.

Thursday, March 24, 2011 8:31 PM
  • Hi all,

I tried all methods that posted around the internet, but it seems doesn't help.

If you could not find the GBP Service, you could try this method.

Please note: Do it within 1 minute while waiting for the Windows to restart. I did in Safe Mode but it doesn't effect the Normal Mode.

1/ Disable service: NTRU TSS v1.2.1.34 TCS

2/ Disable service: TdmService

And...also do these steps:

- Boot up into Safe Mode with Networking.

- Download Revo Uninstaller Free Version, install it to your computer. Do this because we could not access to Windows Installer service within safe mode.

- Use Reve to Uninstall ALL Microsoft Visual C++ 200x component.

Restart your computer back to Normal mode, and it's supposed to run normally at this step.

• Edited by haomnguyen Thursday, February 09, 2012 8:48 PM
    Thursday, February 09, 2012 8:45 PM
  • We are having the same problem with a repeated message that "Windows has encountered a critical problem and will restart automatically". This is using the latest public version of Windows 8 and a data acquisition program that inputs serial information via a serial to USB adapter or a TCPIP connection.

It is a frustrating problem because Windows 8 crashes after 1 - 15 hours of continuous data acquisition.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 1:13 PM
  • Dear Deathstryker,

Please try the low steps one by one.

Method1:
     Go to uninstall software and select uninstall for Windows Live Essetials 2011. You will be given the option to uninstall it or repair it. Select "Repair".And check.
    Method2:
    Copy and paste the below command in RUN and enter
    %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail
    Look for the file Mail.MSMessageStore, right-click and rename to Mail.MSMessageStore.bak
    Restart Live Mail.
    Please check above 2 methods and revert please.

Regards Jinish.K.G|MCTS|HCL Infosystems LTD

Monday, October 29, 2012 4:04 PM