none
Maxtor One Touch Not Recognized With Windows 7

Question

• Maxtor Onetouch II external drive. The drive works perfectly w/Window XP, but is not recognized at all by Windows 7 64 bit. It does show up in the Device Manager and  in Disk Management, but I can't initialize it. At first gave me an error message when tried to initialize, now it's turned grey and I can't even try to perform the action. Tried powering the drive, shutting down and restarting, etc. I do get a chime when I connect the USB. Works fine w/XP, so I'm sure the problem is not the drive itself. Thanks for any help!
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 1:19 AM

All replies

• My Maxtor Onetouch II external drive, 200 GB works fine on my Windows 7 x64.
    I used to have problems with it until I replaced the USB cable, since then not a single issue with it.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 8:55 AM
  • Thanks for the confirmation, Proton2.

KensingtonFairchild, you can check the USB cable and you can try connect the device on the back of the pc so that it can get sufficient power to initialize.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 7:50 AM
  • I have just tried it with a freshly installed RTM version of Windows 7 (Enterprise, a 90 day trial version).
    After turning on the Onetouch, the device was detected and drivers for it began to install and I was able to browse the folders on the drive all within about 5 to 10 seconds from the moment I turned the switch on.

The fresh install includes all available updates installed.
    • Edited by Proton2 Wednesday, October 28, 2009 8:18 AM Additional info
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 8:16 AM
  • Yes, i've already replaced the usb...and the power cord. Nada. It was running perfect on XP SP2. It doesn't seem to recognize with SP3 either. It's amazing how difficult it is to locate some one with XPSP2 so i can try to pull the data off! Seems like what I have in common with others that cant crack it, is that mine is password protected. The password prompt just doenst show up anylonger.
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 1:31 AM
  • Yes, i've already replaced the usb...and the power cord. Nada. It was running perfect on XP SP2. It doesn't seem to recognize with SP3 either. It's amazing how difficult it is to locate some one with XPSP2 so i can try to pull the data off! Seems like what I have in common with others that cant crack it, is that mine is password protected. The password prompt just doenst show up anylonger.

What software did you use to password protect it?  Is that software installed on Windows 7?

You mention that it used to work on XP SP2, but now doesn't work on XP SP3.  Is it possible that the drive went bad, or have you confirmed that it still works correctly on a different XP SP2 or Vista SP1/SP2 machine today?
    Want to know if your current hardware & software will work with Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Windows 7 Compatibility Center**
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 3:34 AM
  • I used the Maxtor software to password it. Yes, it is installed.

It does currently work on a different XP SP2.

Thursday, October 29, 2009 4:07 AM
  • I had the same problem until:

I unplugged the One Touch II from power, used a can of air on the 1394 cable and device.  I used q-tips (plain, not lubricated) and isopropynol alcohol.  I used a can of air to ensure it was dry.  Walla...Windows 7 can see the device.  Now with regard to drivers....it didnt install, but the 1394 drivers did and so long as I can access the drive then I'm happy.

Oh, I did try unplugging the device power and firewire cables before that to no avail.  I figured the voltage was too low for it to be recognized....its been sitting there working before forever.

Jeff
    JEFF!45
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009 3:06 AM
  • Maxtor Onetouch II external drive. The drive works perfectly w/Window XP, but is not recognized at all by Windows 7 64 bit. It does show up in the Device Manager and  in Disk Management, but I can't initialize it. At first gave me an error message when tried to initialize, now it's turned grey and I can't even try to perform the action. Tried powering the drive, shutting down and restarting, etc. I do get a chime when I connect the USB. Works fine w/XP, so I'm sure the problem is not the drive itself. Thanks for any help!

I have the exact same problem. Any luck resolving the problem? Thanks.
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 9:55 PM
  • I was having the same problem with a One Touch USB (150GB).  When I first connected it to my Windows 7 PC, it was recognized with no problem.  After transferring files from the drive to my PC, my PC blue screened after about 2mins!  When I rebooted, I could not access the drive any more, even though it was stated to be working fine in Device Manager.  I tried to assign it a Drive Letter in Disk Management, but it wouldn't allow me to strangely.

What fixed it for me was, in Device Manager I went to "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".  Under this I noticed "Generic USB Device" (I can not replicate the problem so the wording may be a little different).  I uninstalled "Generic USB Device".  Unplugged the One Touch and then plugged it back in and I was browse to it with no problems!  Hope this helps.

• Proposed as answer by Quick Click Sunday, March 28, 2010 12:03 AM
    Sunday, March 28, 2010 12:01 AM
  • Just got a Windows 7 desktop Home x64 edition - had to move my 3-slot 1394 PCI card into the new machine. Have a Maxtor 1 and 2. Maxtor 1 driver installed no problem, but during driver install, it said Maxtor 2 driver install was unsuccessful. However, I can see, transfer, and even play video files from both drives just fine.

I'm about to install the upgrade to Win7 Professional - maybe that will help.

Tuesday, June 01, 2010 3:07 AM
  • Great tip. This solved my problem. I had a XP Dell 4300 and upgraded it to Windows 7 64-bit. Before upgrade backed up all my data in Maxtor One Touch III but couldn't access it after upgrading to Windows 7. As you suggested, I plugged in my Maxtor and then uninstalled the driver using Device Manager -> Universal Serial Bus -> USB Mass Storage Device. Then unplugged the device and plugged it back and watched the driver getting installed. Now I can access all my backup files.
    • Proposed as answer by carguy1978 Tuesday, March 15, 2011 12:12 AM
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 5:07 PM
  • This tip helped me as well.  I have a Maxtor Personal Storage 3100 80G.  Nothing I read on any other forum worked until I went to the Device Manager -> USB Mass Storage Device and saw the drive there.  It had a yellow triangle trouble sign on it.  When I clicked on it and went through the troubleshooting exercises including hunting for drivers on the my machine and Microsoft nothing worked.  So I did as suggested on this site and uninstalled the device.  I then unplugged the power from my drive while leaving the USB plugged into the computer and then re-plugged the power into the drive.  Instantly the device was recognized and I have access to all of the files on the drive.  Blogger Quick Click was a great help.  Thank you!!

Saturday, July 23, 2011 3:30 PM
  • I have the Maxtor OneTouch II USB and Firewire drive and have it plugged into 1394 (firewire). It works on Windows 7 64 bit, but the Maxtor 1394 Storage Front Panel driver does not install. I have tried installing the driver that came with the device but this was unsuccessful. Windows Update does not find a driver. Unfortunately, Seagate bought Maxtor and they don't seem to be providing very good support for this device. I have tried the Windows 7 Compatibility Web Site, but this did not help. Has anybody managed to install this device on Windows 7? If so, could you please advise me how to install the driver for the front panel?
    Sunday, May 06, 2012 4:34 PM