none
How can I completely disable the Windows 7 taskabar including the Start-Button

Question

• Hi,

I want to implement my own User Interface for operating system operation, and therefor would like to completely disable the Windows 7 taskbar, with all its icons, including the start-button and the start menu. No start menu should be visible, and no start menu should appear if a user presses the Windows key.

Which registry keys need to be set to completely disable the taskbar and assoicated items? I'd like to write a powershell script to quickly enable and disable that.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Monday, March 12, 2012 7:37 AM

Answers

All replies

• I havent had an in depth look into this but i'd assume there would be something in the below article that might help. it shows where to go in the registry and describes what a few registry keys do... after that will most likely be best to check out the registry keys and use your own judgement as to what they do or dont do... and just trial and error

http://www.winvistaclub.com/t78.html

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 9:57 AM
  • Hi,

Taskbar  is a built-in feature in Windows. Based on my knowledge, the is no way to disable it.

William Tan

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, March 15, 2012 5:39 AM
  • Sorry, this is not an acceptable answer, this is too simple. I have seen exxecutables out there that do exactly this, but unfortunately, without sourcecode. So in fact, it is possible, I just want to know how to do it manually. Thanks du Dunn2010, I think it's a good point to start, but these keys do not seem to be sufficient. Any other ideas how to completely hide it?

For example, this tool does this (you can also google forpcwNobar). The only problem is that it is not safe to use software without sourcecode in my environment. I'd simply like to know what this program internally does.

http://www.pcwelt.de/downloads/pcwNobar-ZIP-1302449.html

• Edited by Erik78 Thursday, March 29, 2012 7:51 AM
    Thursday, March 29, 2012 6:58 AM
  • by removing the key in this directory it should be gone when rebooting but I cant find how to delete it as it throws an error but try for yourself.

make sure you back up your registry!

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{a2a9545d-a0c2-42b4-9708-a0b2badd77c8}

Wednesday, April 04, 2012 5:27 PM