none
"Windows is unable to install to the selected location. Error: 0x80300001" Can anyone elaborate?

Question

• Initially Windows 7 setup cannot see my sata drive, after installing the drivers from a cd, all my partitions come up fine and I can delete, create, format etc. However when I select a new partition to install to, setup gives me the above error with no more details, anyone have an idea what's going on here?

Thanks,
    Ciaron
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 4:16 PM

Answers

• I think I've managed to sort the problem I was having.

The problem was with the drivers for my sata controller. By trying a bunch of different version from the Silicon Image site (including their Vista beta ones) I managed to get W7 setup to recognise the drive *and* let me install onto it.
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 5:14 PM

All replies

• If your trying to install a 64 bit copy it can only be installed to C: drive which must be the lead drive in your bios.  After you've loaded your drivers and partitioned and formated your drive exit the install and reboot. Go to your bios settings and arange the order of your disk to ensure that the first disk drive recognized is the drive you've just partitioned and formated. This is a good idea regardless of wether 32 or 64 version, unless of course you're doing a multi-boot environment.

Hope this helps
    hooutoo
    • Proposed as answer by Hagman22 Tuesday, March 01, 2011 10:28 PM
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 4:59 PM
  • I think I've managed to sort the problem I was having.

The problem was with the drivers for my sata controller. By trying a bunch of different version from the Silicon Image site (including their Vista beta ones) I managed to get W7 setup to recognise the drive *and* let me install onto it.
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 5:14 PM
  • I am also having this problem.  Windows installer will see the drive but will not allow me to install it.  I am using a AMCC 3ware 9690 SAS controller.  With 4x 1tb drives in raid 10.  Is there a limit as too how a drive can be?  When i go to format the drive it pauses and then does not do anything.  I get the same problems with vista.
    Saturday, January 24, 2009 4:34 AM
  • Same problem with W7 x64. I´m using a SB700 raid controller with two sata disks in raid 0. I have tried to use drivers for Vista x64 with no results. I don´t understand where is the problem, because installer can recognize those disks, their partitions and whole file structure.
    Tuesday, May 05, 2009 9:49 PM
  • I had the same issue and this is how I solved it.

1. Load the RAID driver from CD. (Vista driver will work)
    2. Install the driver and create partitions.
    3. Remove the driver CD and insert the Windows 7 DVD.
    4. Click on Refresh and the error should disappear.
    • Proposed as answer by alf20 Saturday, May 09, 2009 5:58 PM
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 7:46 PM
  • I confirm the workaround proposed by k4nth. Even works with existing Vista partitions
    Saturday, May 09, 2009 5:57 PM
  • Thanks K4nth, worked like a charme, also noticed that the install doesn't like the drive being labeld higher than disk 4 so if you can drive and raids to accomplish this without loosing data you may wan tto do it

Sunday, May 17, 2009 3:48 AM
  • Another conformation for k4nth's workaround. Simple, yet effective. Thanks!
    Monday, June 01, 2009 3:52 AM
  • the reason is the Hard Disk have data
    option 1. select upgrade instalation
    option 2. format the disk  (with another utility, no win7) and try install win 7 again with custom install option
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 2:08 PM
  • Not sure why but it worked for me too.

Been banging my head agains this for days now!!!
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 2:18 PM
  • I have to concur with k4nth. It seemed all along that the error was a ID10T error. Once you load the drivers there is no need to have the driver CD in there and windows 7 needs the cd to continue the installation and since it cannot find the installation files, it gives an error.
    Wednesday, August 05, 2009 8:21 AM
  • If your trying to install a 64 bit copy it can only be installed to C: drive which must be the lead drive in your bios.  After you've loaded your drivers and partitioned and formated your drive exit the install and reboot. Go to your bios settings and arange the order of your disk to ensure that the first disk drive recognized is the drive you've just partitioned and formated. This is a good idea regardless of wether 32 or 64 version, unless of course you're doing a multi-boot environment.

Hope this helps
    hooutoo

Swap drives in Bios.
    Correct, seems to work. At least for the version of Win7 I tested, format, reboot and swapping the order of the drives. The drive you install to might have to be first. I swapped the sata cable with the other drive. I assume it will work just as well if you disconnect all other drives.

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 6:29 PM

This also works for Windows 2008 Server R2 with 3ware 9650SE raid controller. Thanks k4nth!
    • Proposed as answer by matz151 Tuesday, September 01, 2009 12:30 PM
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 1:55 PM
  • hello,

may i try to get help in a similar situation:

I use a Adaptec 2405 with RAID1 (2TB Array). it worked fine under Vista using the drivers from the CD.

Now i want to install Windows 7 from scratch.

If i just use the standard-installation without driver, the process stops every time at about 66%-72% (extracting files). raid is blinking red, so i supposed to need a special driver.

But using the driver the installation-dialog finds on the adaptec-cd i get this error from above:

Error: 0x80300001

now i am a little bit confused, any hints for me?

thx
    thomas
    Friday, August 28, 2009 7:40 AM
  • I can confirm k4nth's solution works. What an uninformative error message for something so easily fixed. I am installing Windows 7 32-bit onto two IDE drives in a RAID1 array with a VIA VT6410 RAID controller on the motherboard, using driver version 5.80A:

http://www.viaarena.com/Driver/windows_v-raid_v580a.zip
    • Proposed as answer by matz151 Tuesday, September 01, 2009 12:30 PM
    Tuesday, September 01, 2009 5:22 AM

Wow I feel dumb for having google the fix... thanks k4nth
    Tuesday, September 08, 2009 3:44 AM
  • I have to say thanks too.

I couldn't imagine that seven could give such an obscur error message when it could say 'Please insert Setup Disk'.
    Anyway, setup is running right now on my PowerEdge 1800 (needed the raid driver), let's see how far it goes.

Thanks again!
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 9:01 AM

Also works for Windows 7 with a Gigabyte RAID 1 driver. Talk about a cryptic error!
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 1:19 PM
  • Another confirmation of K4nth's suggestion. Simple; effective. Thank you.
    Sunday, October 04, 2009 9:37 PM
  • ThomasCR,

Since your installation is continuing on to the file extraction, It's probably not an issue with the RAID drivers.  I assume the Windows disk already has them on it.  I haven't completely researched this error, but it seems to be more related to the data on the Windows 7 installation disk.  Since it is stopping around the same place (about 66%-72%), I have a feeling it's likely related to the data on the disc.  I would suggest creating another install disc and trying again.

If you still get the same issue, it's a possibility that your hdd might be bad.  Try running a diagnostic program from the manufacturer of your hard drive.  If it shows up clean, you're probably fine.

Finally, this relates more to an issue I had with XP, but I ran in to the same issue on my old computer at the point of extracting files, and after much trouble and shooting, I ran a memory test and found that my memory was bad, out of the box.  That nifty little windows disc even has a memory test, in the first menu that shows, that would be very handy in this case.

The latter 2 possibilities are hard to face, especially if you just bought your equipment, but with computer parts, unfortunately it happens quite often that they are dead on arrival.

As an Ex Geek-Squad and Boeing IT guy, I like to think I know a little about computers, but take my advice with a grain of salt, because I could just be some n00b who thinks he knows this stuff.  Afterall, I had to come here to get k4nth's advice!! (Thanks by the way k4nth)

Good luck,

H00b
    Thursday, October 08, 2009 4:56 AM

Confirmed again. I have a SiI3132 based Rosewill card that will not display a BIOS on my Intel DP43TF. I used another system to format the drive with Data Lifeguard and create my RAID 1 array, recognized surprisingly by both my BIOS and Windows after loading the driver. After loading the driver and refreshing I still had the 0x80300001 but had not tried creating a partition. After reading here I decided to manually create the 100MB partition Windows 7 requires for system use and suddenly the error was gone. I deleted the partition so the drive was back to 100% unallocated space and let Windows do the rest, all problems resolved.
    Friday, October 09, 2009 4:54 AM
  • All,

I have to endorse hooutoo's solution for my installation workaround. I tried everything above, but only when I made my RAID stripe array the FIRST BOOT DRIVE (not first hard drive but first BOOT drive) installation was happy to continue. I had previously placed my DVD drive as first boot drive (to boot from the install disk - how unusual:-) ).

When the "unable to install message" finally disappeared from my disk selection menu, I had one UNPARTITIONED drive showing in the selection box.
    I did previously create/format/delete partitions on the blank drive, but it only worked when i changed the BIOS drive order. 
    To confirm, in this instance I did NOT need to create any partitions on the drive for installation to continue.

I loaded the Intel RAID driver from my ASUS mobo CD to assist in drive recognition, but I am not sure that the Install software actually needed it. 
    Regards   

Ade

Thursday, October 29, 2009 9:25 AM
  • OK Guys, and Gals, What if you are not running a RAID array?  I have a single SATA drive and an IDE DVD writer.  I used to have XP on one partition and Windows 7 on the second.  Win7 loaded right up with XP on the boot partition.  Things worked fine for about 3 weeks.  I wanted to load Ubuntu 9.1  and that started messing up my installs.

I have wiped the HD clean, removed all accesories and tried to load Win7 again.  Now I get Error: 0x80300001 and the system will not load.  I have combined SATA-IDE turned off in the bios, should it be on?  My HD is in SATA port 2, should it be in port 1?  I didn't think it mattered, however......

Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    George
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 3:27 PM
  • OK Guys, and Gals, What if you are not running a RAID array?  I have a single SATA drive and an IDE DVD writer.  I used to have XP on one partition and Windows 7 on the second.  Win7 loaded right up with XP on the boot partition.  Things worked fine for about 3 weeks.  I wanted to load Ubuntu 9.1  and that started messing up my installs.

I have wiped the HD clean, removed all accesories and tried to load Win7 again.  Now I get Error: 0x80300001 and the system will not load.  I have combined SATA-IDE turned off in the bios, should it be on?  My HD is in SATA port 2, should it be in port 1?  I didn't think it mattered, however......

Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    George

BTW, I tried to load the RAID drivers from my MB driver cd, NG.  They would not load, not even the Vista ones.
    I am trying to load Win7 32bit.
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 3:28 PM

Hope this helps
    hooutoo
    To expand on hooutoo's contribution. I've been trying to install for several days on an HP ML115 which has a nVidia SATA controller. I have a USB stick in it for booting VMWare ESXi, this was set as my primary boot device, but the server prompts me if i want to boot from dvd first so I didn't seem to need to change any BIOS settings to get W7 to install.

Anyway, I've been imagining it's because I haven't got the right drivers for the controller that I was getting the 8030001 error every time i got to the screen asking me to pick a drive to install to. However after reading hooutoo's posting I went into the BIOS, changed the primary boot drive from the USB stick to the DVD drive i was installing from, set the hard disk I was installing to as the secondary boot device and pushed the USB drive to the bottom of the list.  Sure enough, no cryptic 8030001 error and W7 64bit has just finished installing, no drivers required. Thanks hooutoo.
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 1:46 AM
  • Thanks K4nth!

Really saved me from further frustration!!

Tuesday, November 24, 2009 5:57 AM

This worked for me as well, and I am installing to an older system using an XP driver.

Alienware Area 51 m7700

I'm using the RAID version of the promise driver, but I would guess that the non raid configuration one would work as well.  The xp driver is the most recent one put out for this system by alienware.

JP
    • Proposed as answer by shalesey Wednesday, December 09, 2009 2:54 AM
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 10:47 PM

Merry Christmas to you!!

After 2 hours your solution worked!!

Thnx!!

ps. Gigabyte GA-P55-UD2 + 2x WD6400AAKS Raid0
    • Proposed as answer by Nexenizer Thursday, October 21, 2010 6:59 AM
    Friday, December 18, 2009 3:52 PM

Ok, if you're used to using any Microsoft product, you should already know a couple of things:

1. You're always going to get a cryptic error message.
    2. It's usually a stupid problem.

In this case, most people seem to be forgetting that, just like every other Windows installation procedure, you must have the disk in the drive prior to installing. It should be the first thing you think of, having now reached the end of 2009 and most people have seen several different versions of Windows installation screens.

Having said all that...

I totally had to Google to find the answer! DOH!
    Friday, December 18, 2009 9:49 PM
  • Again this worked beautiful. I am a happy man now.  did have to roboot and just hit next instead of going through all the partition stuff.
    6 months at this and about gave up. This work on my Asus L1N64-sli WS/B board. Windows 7 x64 I thought I had a bad drive. Again thanks a million.......
    Monday, December 21, 2009 11:59 PM

alright well this got me pat my first hurdle. now i am stuck again. my system makes it to the very end of the install process "completing install" and basically hangs there for 2-3 hours and then it finally pops up and error message that doesnt help me figure out the solution what so ever. basically just says the install failed to complete and that i need to try again.

i have had this issue with both my win7 pro 64bit and win7 ult 64bit disks. so i am pretty sure its not the dvds being bad. i have been trying to get this OS installed on mt array for the past 4 days now and i am about ready to toss this comp. i know making a raid array and installing an OS isent that hard but for some reason this one is fighting me all the way.

system specs: evga 6801 sli motherboard - (onboard nvidia raid device)
    3 raptorX drives in raid 0

one drive was brand new and the other two i double checked and ran a quick diagnostic on before attempting to build the array and it seemed fine. so i really dont think its a bad drive issue.
    Friday, December 25, 2009 5:43 PM

• made a slight bit of head way this morning.

so i tried to work around going through the whole install process again and accessed the system recovery and did a start up fix.

it opened a bfsvc.exe console and after a bit this poped up

BfspCopy File <D\Windows\boot\PCAT\en-US\memtest.exe.mui\\GLOBALROOT\Device\HardDiskVolume1\Boot\en-US\memtest.exe.mui> failed try 1 of 60
    Last error = 0x45d

so its obvious why it hangs so long at the end of the install because it trying to run this 60 times. so now the question is what is going on and how do i fix it. by looks of it, its running either a test on my memory or hard disk and finding a failure in one of the two. i ran the memtest a few months ago and found no errors and like i said i just checked the disks not to long ago so i really dont know what the problem could be.

sorry about this being a tack on to this thread all of a sudden, if a mod wants then can make a new thread out of my posts. or delete them and ill start over in a new thread.
    Friday, December 25, 2009 6:16 PM
  • I agree with others. It's a "Duh". Thank you K4nth

HowieK
    • Proposed as answer by Kenan_Hodzic Sunday, January 17, 2010 5:30 AM
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 3:43 AM
  • My AIC-7901x SCSI RAID adapter worked on windows7 32bit with XP driver from Adapter's CD (Old as Greece).
    Whole wisdom was to take that drivers CD out and put back Windows DVD...all works!
    Thank you K4nth!
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 5:34 AM
    1. Insert the install DVD
    2. Boot into the setup process
    3. Get to the point where you need to select a partition and click Load Driver
    4. Insert driver DVD
    5. Locate the storage driver, in my case the AMD AHCI Compatible RAID Controller
    6. Notice the message "Windows cannot be installed on this disk. (Show details)" at the bottom
    7. Insert the install DVD back into the drive
    8. Expand the advanced drive options
    9. Create a New partition consuming some amount of space, in my case all of it
    10. Windows says it had to do some funky stuff, click OK
    11. Notice that there is a 200MB system partition and a new primary partition

Best regards :)
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 11:40 AM
  • outstanding help. this solved the problem in a matter of seconds. so easy why didn't I think of it :S
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 7:17 AM
  • K4nth solution seems to be working.... on a Windows 7 64bit,  raid 5 on four 750GB Seagate 7200.11. Thanks K4nth!!
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 7:15 AM
  • Ok well I guess this an issue still even with the latest media.  I ran into the same issue and got by it following k4nth suggestion.  Thanks!
    Though why that worked is beyond me. 

Im using:

asus m4a785-m

Monday, February 15, 2010 12:10 AM
  • thanks jsibauste, 'sheepish grin'
    Monday, March 01, 2010 4:49 PM
    1. Insert the install DVD
    2. Boot into the setup process
    3. Get to the point where you need to select a partition and click Load Driver
    4. Insert driver DVD
    5. Locate the storage driver, in my case the AMD AHCI Compatible RAID Controller
    6. Notice the message "Windows cannot be installed on this disk. (Show details)" at the bottom
    7. Insert the install DVD back into the drive
    8. Expand the advanced drive options
    9. Create a New partition consuming some amount of space, in my case all of it
    10. Windows says it had to do some funky stuff, click OK
    11. Notice that there is a 200MB system partition and a new primary partition

Best regards :)

step 4, should i insert the hard driver cd? i tried but it wouldnt let me install anything.
    Friday, March 12, 2010 7:23 AM
  • Bingo, K4nth!

Thank you. Step 3 is critical, btw.

M A Reeds MD PhD
    Sunday, March 28, 2010 12:04 AM

this solved my problems, thanks k4nth!

i had a problem with my CPU settings amd 955 BE which showed correct config in bios except that the volt was stuck at 0.975v (energy saving mode i think somehow =S) but did only run with 800MHz 4 multiplier in win7 (had all energy saving settings disabled) so i decided to flash bios on my gigabyte ma790fxt-ud5p rev1 from f4 i think it was to current newest ____, f8c but after that i got stuck at verifying dmi pool data when i tried to boot win grrr! and i couldnt even reinstall win7 after recreating my raid array (2x150gb wd welciraptor in raid0) and i tried to install it in ahci mode too... got error in raid mode and in ahci mode it said that setup was unable to create a new system partition... i remember i had problems when i built this rig and tried to install OS on it but forgot how i did it in the end ;P so thanks again k4nth, installing win7 64 atm =)

Saturday, April 17, 2010 8:45 AM
  • Step 3 of k4nth's solution works.  The error message is erroneous;  it's should be "Installation Disk Not Found."
    Tuesday, May 04, 2010 3:22 AM
  • AWESOME! I was about to go crazy, scanned through the replies, yours looked the fastest and easiest, and voila!  Remove the driver CD and insert the Win7 DVD! How simple! Thanks!
    Friday, May 21, 2010 6:11 AM
  • Yet another victim, however K4nth! 's answer was what solved it, thanks!
    Friday, June 11, 2010 8:33 AM
  • Thank you.. saved my bacon...

Works as advertised..  Microsoft should fix this..

Christopher

Monday, June 14, 2010 5:54 AM
  • Thank you K4nth....This also works with Windows Server 2008 R2!  For Win Server 2008 R2 I used the Win7 base 64-bit driver from Silicon Image; after driver loads as you suggest simply remove driver DVD and re-insert install DVD and click Refresh!  Thanks again.
    Greg Leake, Microsoft
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 8:02 PM
  • Solution displayed by k4nth works on Windows Server 2008 R2 with 3ware 9650SE RAID controller.
    Tuesday, July 06, 2010 4:17 PM
  • I, too, fell prey to this. But I did so via USB! I re-copied my Windows 7 files to the USB drive after deleting the Gigabyte drivers from it...and after re-inserting the flash drive and refreshing, the error was gone.

It makes complete sense in retrospect, but the problem slowed me down significantly at the time.

Friday, August 13, 2010 2:55 AM
  • thanks k4nth..worked like a charm
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 12:44 PM
  • Fabulous!  This worked for me as well with Server 2008 R2 and a Dell (LSI) PERC H200 SAS/SATA Raid controller.  Thanks...
    Sunday, September 19, 2010 2:03 PM
  • Great finding k4nth, thank you very much for sharing..
    I echo Chris Grow "Microsoft should fix this.."  I wasted 2 days beacuse of this bug..
    Friday, September 24, 2010 7:50 AM
  • I confirm the workaround proposed by k4nth

Finally found this thread after 2 hours of searching 0x80300001 in vain.

I remember thinking Win3.1 would not have ridiculous issues

I remember thinking Win95 would not have ridiculous install issues

I remember thinking WinXP would not have ridiculous install issues

I remember thinking Vista would not have ridiculous install issues

I thought Windows7 would not have ridiculous install issues

------------------------------------------

Areca 1230 raid controller with 5 64gb SSDs in RAID5

(yes raid5 as these OCZ SSDs LOVE to fail)

Monday, October 18, 2010 7:52 AM
  • Amazing how much milage this thread is getting. Thanks to all for your contributions. Just enough data to get me through it. For those of you configuring on an IBM Blade or X Series server w/ the MegaRaid M1015 drivers, look for an obscure setting after creating your RAID logical drive to set the logical disk as the boot device. Then follow ALL of the instructions per k4nth!
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 7:08 PM
  • This works (the workaround presented by k4nth), thanks!
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 7:00 AM
  • k4nth, you are awesome!  I was banging my head against a wall and my issue was as simple as you had described.  I had loaded the appropriate drivers, and my single (non-RAID) drive showed as disk 0, and my RAID0 stripe set of two disks showed as disk 1.  I could delete partitions, etc, but I kept getting the 0x80300001 error.   I never thought to simply put the Windows 7 DVD back in the stinking drive.

Thanks again!

Ray

Saturday, October 30, 2010 3:35 PM
  • awesome thanks!!!!
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 3:21 AM

This also works for Windows 2008 Server R2 with 3ware 9650SE raid controller. Thanks k4nth!

I did the above and it did get me past the error message. It then fully installed windows 7 64 bit on my MSI Big Bang X58 with i7-980x and 12GB (2x6) of DDR3 ram. Only problem is once it is done it reboots and then sits at a black screen with a curser blinking. I have the device moved to boot 1 but that didn't solve the issue. The instructions on the RevoDrive X2 160 were lacking to say the least! Any ideas? It is a PCI E card which I am using as my primary and only hard drive.
    Friday, November 26, 2010 2:36 PM
  • Thanks, hooutoo. You saved my day. I working on a SB600 south bridge controller configured for SATA RAID and after formating the drive during Windows setup (loading OEM drivers for the SB600 RAID controller), I need to reboot and run Windows setup again before setup would allow me to install to the newly created RAID1 partition. This works for Windows Server 2008 R2 as well.
    Wednesday, December 01, 2010 8:39 PM
  • Seems to be working on a 3Ware 9550SX controller with Windows Server 2008 R2.  I had to use the 9.3.0.7 firmware and the 9.4.3 drivers for the 9550SX.  I created the array in the firmware with a bootable 50gb "BootVolSize" out of the rest of the three 1tb drive array.  The 50gb volume showed up as drive 1 in the Windows installer not drive 0.  When I selected it as the install location, I got a message that Windows could not install there complaining that the volume couldn't be booted, even though the "Next" button was active.  Hit next and the install proceeded. 

It is still running now.  I'll report back.

Gary

Reporting back: The install completed but the OS won't boot. Guess the message was real. Going to try the install again with NO volumes created via the firmware.

Another Update:  Deleted the array and recreated it.  This time I didn't put any value for the BootVolSize entry.  Reinstalled Windows Server 2008 R2 and it booted up just fine!  Eureka!  Kudos to k4nth.

Tuesday, December 07, 2010 3:12 AM
  • Thanks so much k4nth!

I would have never thought of that, especially since it was letting me install it on a different hard drive, just not the one I wanted. You saved me a long time on my Server 2008 R2 install, so this "bug" must apply to that as well.

Saturday, December 18, 2010 3:00 PM
  • I cannot get rid of this error. My system does not see the raid drive until I put the usb stick with the driver in and load the driver. Then I get this stupid error for “Windows cannot install to Disk 1…” details show this error code. I have tried opening and closing the disk tray at different phases, clicked on refresh, pulled the usb stick, made the raid array the first disk priority, created a new partition, formatted the partition… can’t get rid of it.

The strange thing is that I have successfully installed to this system before. Same mobo, drives, driver, usb stick. The only thing different is I transplanted the guts to a new box. Now I can’t install.

Anyone have any ideas?

Gigabyte ga-ep45-ud3r/ud3 mobo

Trying to put os on the gigabyte sata2 controller

Sunday, December 19, 2010 2:16 AM
  • Update:

I now see after installing the raid driver that the problem is that my D: and E: drives disappear and so windows doesn't see the install media anymore. Why is this happening? They are two normal cd/dvd drives hooked to the mobo on IDE ribbon. They are visible and install works fine up until the partition menu and after I install the raid driver from USB, they disappear. The only visible drives at that point (I pull the usb stick) are the A: floppy and X: drives.

How do I deal with this and why is it happening!?!?!

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 7:12 PM
  • Yet another thanks. k4nth!
    Monday, February 21, 2011 9:37 AM
  • Thanks k4nth, worked a treat.

Way to go MS with the great software development...

Saturday, March 05, 2011 2:03 PM
  • A bit dated reply here, but thank you... worked like a charm for my Raid 0 on my Gigabyte X58 mobo
    Friday, April 15, 2011 6:46 AM
  • Thank you !
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 2:22 PM
  • Thank you!
    The same for Windows 7.
    • Proposed as answer by vinoux Thursday, April 28, 2011 2:22 PM
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 2:22 PM

It's embarrassing to admit I was thinking "oh man these idiots - I wish my identical problem was caused by something so easily solved".

Had to read the entire thread before I thought to myself, "what disc have I got in there anyway..."

*blush*

Thanks K4nth. God I'm a moron.

Saturday, May 14, 2011 6:24 AM
  • This is actually something that could have been fixed in the setup routine.

When the Setup asks if you want to load drivers for your RAID array (like the ones I had to load for my ICH10R) you pop out the Win7 disk and pop in the "F6" drivers you burned to a cd (or dvd) and let the process find the correct drivers (I checked the box of "Hide drivers that are incompatible...").

Setup then loads the drivers and pops back to a screen where it shows you your array and then at the bottom it says "Cannot install..." and when you click for details it give you the full text of the error that is the subject of this thread.

If you have indeed loaded the correct drivers (and you know this to be an absolute fact) then simply pop out the driver cd/dvd and put the Win 7 setup disk back in and select the "Refresh" button.

You should be able to select the"Next" button and Setup will then start copying files.

The problem (it seems to me) is that after loading the drivers, Setup should prompt the user to reinsert the Win 7 Setup disk if it's not in the drive. And then through detecting the 'disk change' automatically recognize that the Setup disk has be reinserted and allow the user to proceed. But it doesn't.

At least that's how it worked for me. But I'm glad I found this thread, I did have a few anxious moments until I figured out what was going on.

Mike

Saturday, May 14, 2011 12:43 PM
  • what k4nth said also helped me.  I got this error message after setting my "boot mode" to UEFI (had to do this in order to install to a gpt).  I have a Dell R510 and was trying to install server 2008.  After setting boot mode to UEFI it was kinda tricky getting it to boot to the install cd but was able to get it finally.

Thanks for your post k4nth!

Thursday, May 26, 2011 2:19 PM
  • Thanks Man!! You my friend saved me from ripping out all but my curly hairs. This problem was the last in a long slew of problems I have had configuring a raid 1 since my hard drive crash of of over a week ago. 40-50 manhours later windows is installing on my new raid card on my new motherboard thanks to you.... I could kiss you!
    Friday, June 03, 2011 5:20 PM

Wow k4nth, more than 2 years since you posted the answer and you're still keeping people from jumping off a bridge.  I was almost ready to start crying until I read your post.  Now all is well.  Thanks.
    Sunday, June 19, 2011 2:55 AM
  • Thanks!

what a stupid error "cant install Windows 7 on that drive" because I didnt have inserted Windows 7 in DVD ROM. LOL!

Please insert install medium would be much better error.

M.Vyroubal
    Monday, June 27, 2011 6:32 AM
  • thanks, K4nth, this was a helpful solution for this problem, and worked beautifully.  It would help if the OS installer team at microsoft could specifically provide more text about this error during the install rather then a obtuse error number. I think if you messed around for a while you would get it, but it really really helps to have this solution posted, especially if your in somewhat of a rush and dealing with errors like this is frustrating the issue. This is a really helpful post... I should specifically add that this works with Windows Server 2008 R2 ( so far ! ) utilizing a Windows 7 driver.. also I am using a ASUS Sabertooth 990FX board with a SB950/SB700 southbridge chipset with 6 x SATA 6G RAID and SATA 6G Seagate drives

Paul Jorgensen www.justcode.ca
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 1:52 AM
  • K4nth solution works great. Guys, don't feel stupid. IT'S A BUG. It should say "Please insert Windows 7 Home Disc" instead of giving a cryptic message.

I recently installed Windows 2008 R2 with the same RAID controller & same RAID driver, and there was no issues. Now when I try again with Windows 7 I get the error, how odd.

Using Dell CERC (Adaptec 2610SA) card for RAID-1, FWIW. BTW, if someone's looking for the driver it's under Poweredge 1800 (I'm not using these in Dell servers)

Friday, July 01, 2011 4:57 AM
  • I found the base drivers under the boot file winsys folder.loaded the win driver for raidand it loaded the os and moved on.no problemm at all..win 7 x64 raid 10
    Sunday, July 03, 2011 10:44 AM
  • Excellent, thanks k4nth confirm workaround with RAID controllers on windows server 2008 R2

Heny
    Monday, August 01, 2011 10:25 PM

Awesome! Glad the fix was in the first post I looked at.  Works for me also on 2008 r2 sp1.
    Friday, August 05, 2011 11:36 PM
  • An Additional note,

Loading an SBS 2011 on 3ware 9650SE, using USB flash drive for drivers.

Pay attention to the drive letters in the browse window. if the system gives your flash drive C:\ then you MUST remove the flash drive before asking it to install.

As stated earlier in the post, 64bit os wants to install on the c:\ partition.

Thanks to Hooutoo for the 64bit note.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 1:54 PM
  • Excelent anwer, by only agree the following:

Option:

1.- Copy de drivers of CD to USB memory.

2.- Insert USB memoty to de equipment.

3.- Charge of drivers and continue with of the instalation.

Monday, September 05, 2011 5:30 PM
  • Thank you so much.  I messed around with that for about an hour before reading your post.  It worked perfectly.
    Friday, October 07, 2011 5:21 AM
  • k4nth, thanks a lot for such helpful tips.
    Monday, October 10, 2011 3:02 AM
  • bingo! this post help me get passed the 80300001 error. I had setup a RAID on my Ramage III with 3 drives added on, but left the org drive in. Setting up the RAID went fine, Win7 x64 recognized the RAID drive being there, but I got the error. So now after reading this I went to recheck my bios, and soon as I set the new RAID volume to be 1st startup in the list Win7 installed and I didn't have to go find drivers :) yea

thanks

surfeagle

Friday, October 21, 2011 6:28 PM
  • I love u!  thanks!

Sunday, October 23, 2011 9:23 PM
  • GREAT thread. This helped me immensely after working on this issue for almost a week. Here's what I ran into. Looks like several guys here had similar issues.

My buddy has a Dell XPS410/Dimension 9200 with Vista 32-bit which was giving a variety of problems, including startup errors and general instability, as Vista has a tendency to do. I tried several fixes, including an in-place upgrade of Vista and a clean install on the existing Vista partition (you know, the one where the existing Windows folder & profile are moved to Windows.old). In both scenarios, the installation stalled out after the reboot around the 67% mark, during Completing Installation. The system hung, the pointer wouldn’t move, fans shut down and the HDD stopped spinning.

System config: Dell XPS410/Dimension 9200

Mobo: Dell E210882

Chipset: Intel P965/G965

Intel 82801 HH I/O controller

A quick scan of the internet revealed that this is a known issue with this particular motherboard/chipset/onboard RAID controller. I tried a variety of install strategies, all including the Load Drivers option early in the install process. I also tried installing Windows 7 and that hung at the same place, so the problem was not a Vista issue. The problem seemed to be with the drivers for the RAID controller.

After endless web searches and multiple failed install attempts, it finally worked. Here are the steps:

1. Flashed BIOS to 2.5.3

2.Start off with clean hard drive if possible (used WD Data Lifeguard to zero out an existing hard drive)

3. Connected the HDD to SATA port 3 on the controller hub and the DVD to port 4 (suggested on Intel’s site: http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-025783.htm) .

4. BIOS: set Autodetect ATA/SATA

5. Start Windows 7 (or Vista) installation

6. Load Intel Matrix Storage Manager drivers (version 7.5 or later) for 82801HH AND ICH8R from USB thumb drive (leave it in the USB port throughout the install process)

7. Allow OS install to continue through reboot

8. CRITICAL: On reboot just before Completing Installation, change BIOS: SATA

9. Also, change boot sequence to actual HDD (in my case, Maxtor) – you may have to save/exit BIOS setup, let the reboot start and enter BIOS a second time to make the actual hard drive show up in the boot sequence.

If you’re having this same problem, I hope this saves you some pain & frustration.

• Edited by K Car Sunday, October 30, 2011 1:15 PM Corrected formatting
    • Proposed as answer by Atul Tak Friday, February 10, 2012 10:45 PM
    Sunday, October 30, 2011 1:04 PM
  • I was facing same problem.

I cancelled installation

and started it again..

it worked for me.

Thanks..

Friday, February 10, 2012 10:45 PM
  • After installing the drivers for your disk controller, just pop back into the drive the Windows CD and hit refresh.... then select the partition/disk and click next to start the installation
    Sunday, March 04, 2012 11:19 AM
  • This worked perfectly.  Thanks for this.  Finally able to get this 9500S working with Windows 7.
    Sunday, March 18, 2012 6:11 AM
  • Thanks again alf20, great work around!
    Tuesday, March 27, 2012 9:34 PM
  • I have a Compaq Workstation W6000 and a Promise RAID card. I followed these instructions from k4nth

Thanks k4nth. It works a treat.

Thursday, March 29, 2012 8:39 PM
  • K4nth! Thank you. This worked like a charm using RAID 0, installing windows 7 x64 on a ASROCK a75m motherboard. 
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 5:05 AM
  • This is indeed the resolution to this problem! Thank You for the simple steps that were begetting even me for a couple hours!

Saturday, May 19, 2012 4:18 PM

Worked for me, brand new Fujitsu tx100 s3 server with lsi megaraid controller and server 2008 r2 x64. Only i had to get the driver from the fujitsu webpage

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 10:50 AM
  • I was having the same issue with a Dell PE R320.  The fix for me was considerably simpler.  I just had to initialize the VD's after they had been created.  Worked fine.
    Tuesday, July 24, 2012 2:57 PM
  • I would also like to thank you guys. I was running a RAID 1 setup and it is all about putting the damn DVD back and hitting refresh.
    Monday, September 24, 2012 1:16 AM
  • This is the same thing I did and it got solved! Thank you!
    Saturday, September 29, 2012 5:42 PM

Great it also works under windows server 2008 R2 with a lsi megaraid scsi 320-2E controller.

thanx

Friday, October 05, 2012 3:32 PM
  • k4nth is a genius.  He has successfully accomplished what few ever will.  He has entered useful information that solves the problem posed by the thread.  Even now, over three years later the world (myself) is enjoying his existence.  Please, take a moment of silence to ponder k4nth's virtues and to dedicate our lifes to his example.

My hat is off Sir.

Saturday, October 13, 2012 6:48 PM

Thank you, K4nth! Worked on my friend's Win 7 Pro 64bit, two SSD drives configured for RAID 0 using intel RAID chipset (iRST, Intel Rapid Storage Technology) on ASUS Sabertooth X79 mobo.
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 2:18 AM
  • Funciona Perfectamente con Windows 2008 R2 Gracias...

Thursday, November 15, 2012 4:22 PM
  • Wow, thanky.....

Thursday, November 22, 2012 12:13 PM
  • THANKS!!!!! WORKED LIKE A CHARM!
    Thursday, December 20, 2012 2:49 AM
  • changing dvd drive to boot drive werkt fer me!
    Monday, December 24, 2012 12:41 AM
  • Thanks k4nth, worked a treat.

Of course if MS gave some meaningful message.......then they wouldn't be Microsoft I guess....lol

Friday, February 22, 2013 4:24 PM

Hope this helps
    hooutoo

Ugh, four year old thread, please don't tell me that this is Computer Nerds 101.  This still works. I wish I had read this before I wiped my drives.  Thanks.  At least I have my computer working again.  Lesson learned.
    Sunday, March 10, 2013 3:06 PM
  • Confirmed again, Thanks k4nth...

Monday, April 08, 2013 9:55 AM
  • So simple but never the less thank you. You saved me a lot of time tonight. Thank you
    Sunday, April 14, 2013 8:34 AM
  • Guys, just give here links for drivers
    Friday, June 21, 2013 3:33 PM
  • k4nth is the man.  Not only did he provide a solution, but he refrained from pointing out what idiots all of us who needed his guidance are: we never put the Win7 install DVD back in the drive.  Duh.

On the other hand, what a bunch of losers Microsoft is.  Here are entries from 2009, and I just got a brand new Win7 x64 install DVD with SP1 on it in 2013 and the same ridiculous bug exists in the installer.  First of all, these guys never tested this process and forgot to put the DVD back?  And having multiple reports just on this one thread doesn't spur anyone to fix it?

And speaking of fixing things, the whole reason I encountered THIS error is because of another failure in the install program: setting my machine to UEFI with a SATA optical drive on the same controller as my RAID array results in the installer loading and starting Windows but when it comes time to install, suddenly it has no driver for the DVD drive it just read itself from.  Genius.  Solution to that: set RAID back to IDE for my SATA controller (not an option because I want to install in a RAID environment) or use an external USB-connected ODD.  Mysteriously, the installation process has drivers for my SATA RAID when booted internally, but from the external drive I had to use the old F6-style driver load.  Go figure.  I only HOPE that some more attention was paid to the Win8 install process.

Sunday, July 14, 2013 1:46 PM
  • Thanks, k4nth - worked a treat.

Why can't Microsoft address this after how many years?

Cheers.

dj

Saturday, July 20, 2013 6:19 PM
  • Awesome - thanks for figuring that out.
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 3:33 PM
  • It is Step #3 that is important. Windows installation seems to be very finicky with having its DVD back after you load drivers. I encountered the same problem at multiple places with both Win 7 and Win 2011 Home Server installations. If the Win installation DVD is not inserted, the installation just gives you non-descriptive errors. Way to go...
    Tuesday, September 17, 2013 4:51 PM

Hope this helps

hooutoo

To expand on hooutoo's contribution. I've been trying to install for several days on an HP ML115 which has a nVidia SATA controller. I have a USB stick in it for booting VMWare ESXi, this was set as my primary boot device, but the server prompts me if i want to boot from dvd first so I didn't seem to need to change any BIOS settings to get W7 to install.

Anyway, I've been imagining it's because I haven't got the right drivers for the controller that I was getting the 8030001 error every time i got to the screen asking me to pick a drive to install to. However after reading hooutoo's posting I went into the BIOS, changed the primary boot drive from the USB stick to the DVD drive i was installing from, set the hard disk I was installing to as the secondary boot device and pushed the USB drive to the bottom of the list.  Sure enough, no cryptic 8030001 error and W7 64bit has just finished installing, no drivers required. Thanks hooutoo.

This worked for me too.

My System: ASRock P55Pro Mainboard, Onboard RAID5 with 4k HDDs (3x WD10EZEX), Windows 7 x64

I had to load the Intel Rapid Storage Driver (v. 9.6 or higher) at the beginning of the installation.

PS: Another solved issue with my system: I must not install the "Intel Matrix Storage Manager" Software, otherwise Windows Update stopps working.

Friday, November 01, 2013 10:24 AM
  • Hi
    Did you solve your problem ? When you install windows it will not recognize SAS ports or SATA port if you configure as RAID. You can put your SR-X motherboard drivers cd on second CD Rom driver or copy raid 4 drivers in to your usb pen drive. Make sure in bios you should usb enable.
    When you are installing Windows SATA Raid ( If you configure as Raid in bios) or SAS not showing. then click on browser and find on your cd or usb pen drive, Raid rivers. 1st driver is 32 bit SATA, 2nd driver is 64 bit SATA, 3ed driver is 32 bit SAS, 4th driver is 64 bit SAS. click on correct driver ( Your windows is 32 or 64 bit and you are installing windows SATA or SAS) and it will find your SATA or SAS. I advise you do not install on SAS Raid, after install always found me one hard disk error. I am still try to find a solution to install windows on SAS raid.

My problem has been solved. I would like to give you feedback that how I have done.
    1.EVGA 606 new bios update (BIOS W888_008 )
    2.Install windows 7 ultimate or whatever
    3.Install only graphic card GTX 760 drivers. ( Should not install Motherboard drivers. If you do that windows cannot able to come to the desk top)
    4.Windows software update. (It will comes nearly 100 ore more time by time)
    5.Finaly motherboard SR-X drivers.

To find out and solve the problem, I had been reinstall my system more than 12 times.
    Now works everything without problem. But after 2 X GTX 760 PC is not fater like before.

MY system is now with
    1 X Cooler Master Cosmos II
    1 X EVGA Classified SR-X1 X EVGA SuperNOVA NEX1500 Classified Power Supply
    2 X Intel Xeon E5-2620, 6x 2.00GHz, Sockel-2011
    2 X Cooler Master TPC 800
    2 X EVGA GeForce GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB w/ *(1 X ASUS EAH6950/2DI2S/2GD5, Radeon HD 6950, 2GB GDDR5, 2x DVI, HDMI, 2x Mini DisplayPort- Previous)*
    4 X Corsair Vengeance schwarz DIMM Kit 24GB, DDR3-1600, CL9-9-9-24
    4 X SanDisk Ultra Plus Notebook 128GB, 2.5", SATA 6Gb/s - Raid 0 - Windows 7 Ultimate
    4 X Western Digital WD Red 2TB, 3.5", SATA 6Gb/s - Raid 10 - Storage -in SAS port
    4 X Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB, SATA 6Gb/s - Raid 10 - Storage -in SAS port
    2 X Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB, SATA 6Gb/s - Raid 1 - Mirror back up
    1 X Dawicontrol DC-7515 3.5" Active RAID Storage Module
    2 X Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB, SATA 6Gb/s - Raid 1 Mirror - Storage
    1 X Blu-ray LG Electronics BH16NS40, SATA1 X DVD Samsung SH-224DB schwarz, SATA
    4 X 27 zoll monitors- Asus
    2 X 24 zoll monitors- Asus

* 4 X SanDisk Ultra Plus Notebook 128GB, 2.5", SATA 6Gb/s - Raid 0 - Windows 7 Ultimate - Cannot install Windows in SAS port coming always 3ed SanDisk comes always error.

Thanks
    Chris

Tuesday, December 03, 2013 11:55 AM
  • Hey alf20,

thanks for this really relevant information.

Johannes

Saturday, January 04, 2014 2:34 PM
  • I had same issue installing Win8 64bit with setting drivers for raid 0 and swaped cd's hit refresh.

The error disapeared, went on to install correctly.

Cheers

Saturday, January 25, 2014 5:12 PM
  • Thanks k4nth.   Really Microsoft!?!  Shame.  You know we had swapped out the Windows CD for the driver CD, and you know that we just loaded a driver.   What's wrong with refreshing on your own, letting us hit NEXT and then PROMPTING FOR THE WINDOWS CD ?

As my very non-technical grandpa would say "Too soon old.  Too late smart."

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 9:32 PM
  • 5 years later after this post, you can still run into the same issue when having an SSD Drive and a Super Micro Motherboard which is a high-end system. This Worked for me even for Windows 2008 R2 Server OS and Windows 7 Pro SP1 64 bit.

It's incredible how a simple Refresh can solve a critical issue. gotta love Microsoft.

Thank you so much. 

Friday, May 09, 2014 2:06 AM